Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of advice on where I’ve went wrong, first two batches of dough have been a bit of a failure.

Used the basic recipe from the Ooni video. 1kg of De Cecco Farina 00, 600ml of water, quick yeast and salt.

Both mixed in the mixer with dough hook. A little over 10 minutes as recommended. The dough was tacky/ sticky but thought nothing off it. One was cold proofed the other at room temperature. Both had near doubled in size( cold proof 48 hours, room temp 24hrs). But when splitting the dough to smaller balls the dough is still sticky and near impossible to get any sort of shape on when divided up and sticking to everything.

Just to update this got different flour and used the exact same recipe and was perfect.

thanks to el_gaucho for pointing out they had issues with de cecco before also.

now to work on shaping the pizza :pac:

Oat23 wrote: »
    Decided to give these a go since I'm running low on caputo (if anyone knows where to get the 25kg bags in Sligo let me know please).
    let me know if you find anywhere, handy to have somewhere local. You could get two 10KGs from little italy had family coming down so got them to bring 25KG down.:D

La Hacienda pizza oven box for BBQ

If anyone interested Dunnes Stores were selling this at the weekend- 80 euro but if you have vouchers off from previous week shop ( 10 off 50 spend) it will cost you 70 euro
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.bbcgoodfood.com/review/la-hacienda-bbq-pizza-oven/amp

While Argos sell similar they’re currently not in stock and very pricy on Amazon right now

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

La Hacienda pizza oven box for BBQ

If anyone interested Dunnes Stores were selling this at the weekend- 80 euro but if you have vouchers off from previous week shop ( 10 off 50 spend) it will cost you 70 euro
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.bbcgoodfood.com/review/la-hacienda-bbq-pizza-oven/amp

While Argos sell similar they’re currently not in stock and very pricy on Amazon right now

This has been linked here before I think. Might be ok for some, but I don’t think they’re great - a bbq doesn’t tend to get nearly hot enough to be able to properly cook the toppings and so you end up with a doughy base and soggy toppings.

Pete123456 wrote: »
    This has been linked here before I think. Might be ok for some, but I don’t think they’re great - a bbq doesn’t tend to get nearly hot enough to be able to properly cook the toppings and so you end up with a doughy base and soggy toppings.

I disagree - Ive used one similar in the past and found it grand - the BBQ (either gas or coal) heats this device to a temperature that cooks the base in about 6 minutes- so not quite your 90 seconds for your high end ooni but then again this doesn’t cost 100s euro

• Registered Users Posts: 15,200 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I disagree - Ive used one similar in the past and found it grand - the BBQ (either gas or coal) heats this device to a temperature that cooks the base in about 6 minutes- so not quite your 90 seconds for your high end ooni but then again this doesn’t cost 100s euro

When it comes to pizza making there's a huge difference between 6 minutes and 60 seconds though and it's not just the 5 minutes extra waiting that makes it worse. At 6 minutes you might as well use a home oven blasted to 250C and a €40 pizza steel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭RonnieL

I'd tend to agree. While I didn't buy one of those, I did spend money on other cheaper alternatives before buying the ooni, and in hindsight that was just wasted money. If you know you're into making good pizzas fairly regularly, then the likes of an ooni is a good investment. If you're not THAT into making pizza, but you want to improve on frozen supermarket stuff, then a pizza stone in a regular oven is a good option (although I would caution against doing that regularly over a long period, because I had to replace the element and thermostats in my oven several times during the period when I was using it a lot for pizza making).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Ooni have just launched the new Karu 16 Multi-Fuel Pizza Oven at €799. It's a beast of a thing. You've to register to join the pre-order list.

https://eu.ooni.com/products/ooni-karu-16

Pipmae wrote: »
    Ooni have just launched the new Karu 16 Multi-Fuel Pizza Oven at €799. It's a beast of a thing. You've to register to join the pre-order list.

450e more than the 12" ?
    They can keep it !

450e more than the 12" ?
    They can keep it !

The gas burner isn't even included in that - so it's not technically multi-fuel as it's sold if you get me. Just capable of being multi-fuel if you spend more.

The gas burner isn't even included in that - so it's not technically multi-fuel as it's sold if you get me. Just capable of being multi-fuel if you spend more.

Yes ,
    I just ordered the 12" Kuru (after finding the thread & the discount thread) and haven't been able to get a gas burner either .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Seems the Karu 16 is now just a re-engineered pro with a temp probe - or have a missed something?

I’m a sucker for gadgets though so I could see myself selling my Koda and buying this!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,565 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Jesus Ooni have turned into Tony Montana at the end of Scarface.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Yes ,
    I just ordered the 12" Kuru (after finding the thread & the discount thread) and haven't been able to get a gas burner either .

Same as, don't think that the 37mBar adaptor has been available for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I suppose the addition of the temp probe is a nice extra, but at what cost?

I think you can overthink what's actually required for making the pizza tbh. I've used my new Ooni a good few times now and all the additional gadgets are a bit superfluous. I've only used the infrared thermometer for one pizza making session. Now I just fire up the Ooni at the beginning and leave it on full for 20mins. Then I turn it down to the lowest for cooking and then back up to full while preparing the next one. Rinse & Repeat. Works a treat. 
    Glad I didn't buy the extra pizza turner as the paddle/launcher works fine.  

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

jesus you would think after dropping 799 quid on a pizza oven it would come ready to use out of the box. But no, you've to buy a 75 euro gas attachment as well.

The Ooni Pro is priced at 499 so its hard to see where the extra 300 euro for this one is going. At the 800 quid level its not far of the price of going for a full permanent brick pizza oven which Id imagine would outlive any Ooni one.

Pete123456 wrote: »

yeah would agree with this, The design flaw with the BBQ pizza ovens is all the heat is coming from below when pizza cooking needs heat from below and on top. I know some of them claim some magic technology that says heat comes from above but thats reflective heat rather than direct heat from a flame, big difference between the two. There is a visible different between pizzas cooked on one of these v an Ooni, the crust is expanded and airy from the Ooni whereas the crusts in the pictures on that BBQ one shows them pretty flat

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

I'm very tempted to upgrade from our 2s, we've cooked pizza once a week in it since 2016 so it's more than paid for itself over the past 5 years, somewhere in the region of 500 pizzas and still going strong. But it would be nice to be able to do fewer bigger pizzas each week! Pricey though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I see that the delivery dates for the Koda 16 have been pushed back. Looks like OONI are trying to keep it quiet too.

We ordered one a while back and it was scheduled to ship "Mid June". I see on the website now that it has changed to "Early July".

Disappointed that no notification from OONI.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

Tzardine wrote: »
    I see that the delivery dates for the Koda 16 have been pushed back. Looks like OONI are trying to keep it quiet too.

We ordered one a while back and it was scheduled to ship "Mid June". I see on the website now that it has changed to "Early July".

Disappointed that no notification from OONI.

I'm in the same situation but I got an email from Ooni yesterday advising of the delay. Disappointed its delayed as we were getting excited - fingers crossed it will actually be July now.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    But no, you've to buy a 75 euro gas attachment as well.

Its 100e!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Crazy price for that new ooni, but supply and demand I guess. I had another look at the gozney dome site yesterday after seeing the new ooni, and this is the message on their US page: "The Gozney Dome is no longer on sale to the public. Exceptional demand from the Priority Pre-Sale has meant that lead-times are now very long and we’ve closed for new orders until further notice. ". It's $1500.

https://us.gozney.com/products/dome

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

RonnieL wrote: »
    Crazy price for that new ooni, but supply and demand I guess. I had another look at the gozney dome site yesterday after seeing the new ooni, and this is the message on their US page: "The Gozney Dome is no longer on sale to the public. Exceptional demand from the Priority Pre-Sale has meant that lead-times are now very long and we’ve closed for new orders until further notice. ". It's $1500.

https://us.gozney.com/products/dome

Thats the us site, they don't have that warning on their EU site : https://eu.gozney.com/products/dome

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭nomoedoe

That really is crazy money for what is only a bigger Karu with a glass door and digital thermometer and it’s only multi fuelled if you pay the extra €100 for the gas attachment! ,I follow a lot of the “Ooni Ambassadors” on Instagram and they are wetting themselves talking about this oven like it’s the best pizza oven there ever was or ever going to be and anyone I seen using it they are only making 12’ pizzas ,I really don’t see why anyone would buy this when the Koda 16 will do they exact same thing for a few hundred less.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

nomoedoe wrote: »
    That really is crazy money for what is only a bigger Karu with a glass door and digital thermometer and it’s only multi fuelled if you pay the extra €100 for the gas attachment! ,I follow a lot of the “Ooni Ambassadors” on Instagram and they are wetting themselves talking about this oven like it’s the best pizza oven there ever was or ever going to be and anyone I seen using it they are only making 12’ pizzas ,I really don’t see why anyone would buy this when the Koda 16 will do they exact same thing for a few hundred less.
    You couldn't pay me to take heed of anyone promoting anything on Instagram, youtube, facebook etc., unless maybe it was non-profit or non-beneficial.
    The prices resellers are selling them for on adverts or done deal is unreal though, so that may be why they think that they could charge that price.
    Same goes for the Blade and the Sub Beer dispensers, crazy money because some people are too lazy to do a tiny bit of research or just search.

"A fool and their money.." comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

RonnieL wrote: »
    I'd agree with all the replies to this post - the problem is most likely early rotation. However, it could also be happening because the dough is stretch too thin in spots - you can then get a small tear as it goes in, and sauce etc leaks through and it gets messy when you come to turning. Ensuring you've got dough that stretches consistently comes down to lots of things (balling technique being one). These videos by the dough bros in galway aren't geared towards proper pizza ovens, but include good tips about the dough making: https://www.facebook.com/450299675059263/videos/360958284842057

55% hydration, its scones that lad is making...:D

edit: Not meant to come across as condescending, i realize that recipe is for beginners.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

nomoedoe wrote: »

Yeah... but it looks cool as hell!! I’m a fool and i’ll gladly part with my money for this!

Video by Ooni on it here. Its got more roof space in the oven and a digital thermometer included. It also has air baffles that allow control over the heat, they are used to lower the temperatures for cooking other breads That aside its not all that diifferent than the Pro.

Id say that glass door would blacken up in no time, if you wanted to keep it in tip top condition you'd need to be cleaning it after every use to prevent build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭budgemook

Hi All, I am going to give my new Ooni it's first run out tomorrow. I have 2 questions for you guys:

First, I don't have any table yet. Would I be okay putting the oven on a glass patio table, or should I just put it on the ground for now?

Second, I have picked up some San Marzano tomatoes as people on here seem to recommend them. I usually cool my pizza sauce for an hour or two (can tomatoes, salt, sugar, oregano, small bit of stock) but I know some people don't cook the pizza sauce at all. Is there any consensus on using San Marzano tomatoes?

If you have a gas Koda it will be fine on the glass. I can't speak for the pellet or wood fire ovens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭budgemook

If you have a gas Koda it will be fine on the glass. I can't speak for the pellet or wood fire ovens.

Oh yeah, forgot to say it's a Karu and I'll be loading it with lumpwood and kindling

Advertisement