Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

Tzardine wrote: »
    After what feels like an eternity, I just got a notification that my Koda 16 has shipped.

What do you think. What are the odds of me eating pizza this weekend?

When did you order yours? I am waiting for the same notification!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

zedhead wrote: »
    When did you order yours? I am waiting for the same notification!

12 April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

budgemook wrote: »
    Don't think I'd recommend the Aldi dough balls. They are too big for a start.

Yeah I ended up with the crust too thick.
    I nearly cut the dough ball in half. I left it out if the fridge for the day and it turned out nice.
    I'd use them again but make smaller pizzas

After what feels like an eternity, I just got a notification that my Koda 16 has shipped.

What do you think. What are the odds of me eating pizza this weekend?

Not a hope.
    my recent order took 10 days from shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Springwell

budgemook wrote: »
    Don't think I'd recommend the Aldi dough balls. They are too big for a start.

Two balls, make 3 200g pizzas - good size for the Karu/Koda/Fyra 12s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

12 April.

Would you update us when it arrives? Ordered mine the 29th of April …. Got an email it’s delayed but nothing more … would love a date range on it

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

I tried my Karu last weekend. I followed the advice of a YouTuber who used charcoal to heat the oven, then wood to produce the flame to heat the top. The hottest I got the stone was around 350. Either I used too much charcoal and hindered the airflow or I used the wrong wood. I used ash because I can get it easily. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

el_gaucho wrote: »
    I tried my Karu last weekend. I followed the advice of a YouTuber who used charcoal to heat the oven, then wood to produce the flame to heat the top. The hottest I got the stone was around 350. Either I used too much charcoal and hindered the airflow or I used the wrong wood. I used ash because I can get it easily. Any suggestions?

How long did you wait before using it? I had the same issue as you but I wasn't leaving it long enough before starting to cook on it. Last time I used it I left it for either 30 or 40mins and it was def hot enough

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    How long did you wait before using it? I had the same issue as you but I wasn't leaving it long enough before starting to cook on it. Last time I used it I left it for either 30 or 40mins and it was def hot enough

I definitely left it on long enough I just couldn’t get it hot enough.

used charcoal to heat the oven/QUOTE]

Lumpwood or something else?
    I've use my kuru 3 times now with lumpwood and some random wood kindling and it been perfect.

• Advertisement

used charcoal to heat the oven/QUOTE]

Lumpwood or something else?
    I've use my kuru 3 times now with lumpwood and some random wood kindling and it been perfect.

Lumpwood. It might be that I just added too much and blocked the airflow. Or maybe I didn’t add the wood quickly enough.

Not a hope.
    my recent order took 10 days from shipping.

Its showing up as in Ireland this evening. I might get it tomorrow after all.

8hDpuZx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

Advice please! I know someone on here mentioned par-baking the pizza bases in advance. I'm making 10-12 pizzas for a crew on Sunday. What would be the best way to go about par-baking? Thinking of doing this for the kids pizzas to take some of the pressure off!!

So my Koda 16 did arrive this morning. Shipped on Monday and arrived on Friday. Very pleased with that.

But why is it that GLS must always do something wrong. Special shoutout to the driver who just left the box at the gate on the road and drove off without even ringing the bell.

Thankfully I was working from home today otherwise it would 100% have been stolen.

Right - better start making a dough for pizza on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

So my Koda 16 did arrive this morning. Shipped on Monday and arrived on Friday. Very pleased with that.

But why is it that GLS must always do something wrong. Special shoutout to the driver who just left the box at the gate on the road and drove off without even ringing the bell.

Thankfully I was working from home today otherwise it would 100% have been stolen.

DPD get a fair bit of abuse, but they are absolutely stellar in comparison to GLS. GLS are hands down the worst shipping operation I’ve ever encountered. Over the years I have had several high value goods put into their hands and every single time without fail there has been issues.

Can I ask how many days from getting your tracking number did it take? I’m eager and got my tracking number on the 30th

ArtyC wrote: »
    Can I ask how many days from getting your tracking number did it take? I’m eager and got my tracking number on the 30th

Got my tracking number on Monday morning at 0930.

Got my tracking number on Monday morning at 0930.

Great !! Fingers crossed mines as quick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,330 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

maximo31 wrote: »
    Advice please! I know someone on here mentioned par-baking the pizza bases in advance. I'm making 10-12 pizzas for a crew on Sunday. What would be the best way to go about par-baking? Thinking of doing this for the kids pizzas to take some of the pressure off!!

I’m guessing I wouldn’t have the oven on 400c, maybe 200c. Roll out to desired size, prick all over with a fork to stop them bubbling. Put in oven until dough is cooked through. Allow them to cool completely and maybe put a sheet of baking paper between each one before wrapping in cling film to prevent sweating.

For 12 pizzas, I’d think about par baking all of them beforehand.

Good luck!

I’m guessing I wouldn’t have the oven on 400c, maybe 200c. Roll out to desired size, prick all over with a fork to stop them bubbling. Put in oven until dough is cooked through. Allow them to cool completely and maybe put a sheet of baking paper between each one before wrapping in cling film to prevent sweating.

For 12 pizzas, I’d think about par baking all of them beforehand.

Good luck!

Thanks very much for that. Much appreciated.Pressure is on. Hope they taste as good after being par baked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Thanks very much for that. Much appreciated.Pressure is on. Hope they taste as good after being par baked!

Update on how you get on as will be doing something similar in a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭joficeduns1

Almost a perfect 8 pizzas Friday night but botched the final one while turning and ripped the middle. We live and learn, pizza is pizza. Highlight was the Pesto/Carm. Onion/Goats Cheese number because I ran out of tomato base.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Nicely done! My biggest issue recently is getting my pizzzas to be circular!

also nduja is a fantastic pizza topping!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

A bit late but I've done this before. It's actually a nice change as you can put more toppings on if desired.

Stone at about 350.
    Shape base as normal.
    Apply (I brushed it on) a very thin layer of sauce.
    Par bake for about a minute with flame on low, I let them get a little bit of leoparding.
    Let cool and wrap in cling film, into the fridge.

You'll need to put more sauce on when cooking again.

Really takes the stress out of making lots of pizzas and there's the added bonus of getting people involved and letting them make their own and even launch them... It takes any mistakes out of the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Someone dropped my pizza stone and cracked it, was out of action for a couple of weeks but the replacement arrived on Tuesday. Longest couple weeks ever 🤣

Got on very well following the instructions I got above. Made 10-12 pizzas on Saturday and used them all up on the Sunday.

Pizzas went down very well. Probably not as perfect as doing fresh but there was no complaints. Will defo be doing this way again if i have a crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭hargo

00 flour

I bought a 25 kg bag of blue Caputo 00 flour in Musgraves today. I normally buy a 10 kg bag 0f 00 but specifically wanted to try the Caputo. If anyone's interested in splitting the bag let me know. I'm in Drogheda and i gather some have difficulty getting this flour. The full bag was €22 so split it.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭covidcustomer

Great topic! Just ordered the Ooni 12 and am reading all your experiences, pizzas look amazing, bought as a gift for pizza mad son who has been making his own in our oven. This weather the heat from our oven (on for 2 hours...oyyyy) is just too much, he was impressed by it but concerned about the peel I bought (I bought the very expensive Ooni one, I know, I know...). See how long it takes to arrive now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

A new Ooni Karu 12 owner here.

It may be buried in the 79 pages, but can anyone point to (Youtube?) a dough making tutorial for simpletons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,330 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Here’s Jamie Oliver’s pizza dough recipe. It’s simple and basic. You can get into the scientific dough making soon enough.

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/bread-recipes/pizza-dough/

Advertisement