Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Bassfish - do you have the New York style recipe?

Does anyone have a good sourdough pizza recipe?

I got a Karu multifuel and used it this weekend, we love it!

Small pizzas to start with, til we get the hang of things. I think this weekend I'll try calzones and maybe chocolate doughballs too.

How do people clean off the pizza stone? I know they say that it cleans itself but we had a few mishaps with getting the pizzas onto the stone right at the weekend so there is sauce and cheese burned onto it.

https://ooni.com/blogs/recipes/new-york-style-pizza-dough

The stone won't ever be pristine again. I've always just used the peel to scrape anything solid off the stone while it's hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

MacDanger wrote: »
    Anyone have any recommendations on what to use as an alternative?

I use these for individual dough balls. For the price you can't go wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Looks like another rabbit hole to head down :rolleyes:, will have to get the pizza dough making up to scratch.IMG_20210601_154437.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

THE ALM wrote: »
    Looks like another rabbit hole to head down :rolleyes:, will have to get the pizza dough making up to scratch.IMG_20210601_154437.jpg

Nice table. You design/make it? What are you going to use the sink for?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Redlim

dmc17 wrote: »

These are ideal, thanks. Much more versatile than a large tray. Can do cold proving in any free nooks and crannies in the fridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

dmc17 wrote: »

They look perfect. Anyone in Ireland stock them? I think Jeff B has enough of my money these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Got this table on Sunday in Ikea for the oven. Wanted something small that could fold up, and not a huge amount of space needed as id be making the pizza inside for the foreseeable anyway.

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/taernoe-table-outdoor-black-light-brown-stained-00469021/

• Registered Users Posts: 15 alkelly

Quick question for those who've got the Koda 12 (or even Koda 16)... I've been making my own dough and pizzas about a year now but have just been using the kitchen oven turned up to the max. Thinking of treating myself to a new ooni as I hit 40 last week and trying to decide between the 12 and 16. Those with the 12, are you happy with the size or do yis wish you had gone with the 16?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Nice table. You design/make it? What are you going to use the sink for?

Thanks, manage to get it free from business that was doing a kitchen refit and thought I could make use of it.

The sink will mainly be redundant although I can fit a waste to it and be able to wash up afterwards if needs be. I'll probable make a wooden cover for it and use it for the prep area and have everything to hand when making the pizzas.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

alkelly wrote: »
    Quick question for those who've got the Koda 12 (or even Koda 16)... I've been making my own dough and pizzas about a year now but have just been using the kitchen oven turned up to the max. Thinking of treating myself to a new ooni as I hit 40 last week and trying to decide between the 12 and 16. Those with the 12, are you happy with the size or do yis wish you had gone with the 16?

Unless you’re very very good at making pizza you will find anything bigger than 12 inch extremely hard to handle/stretch. If money is no object go for the 16 but considering you don’t get a huge amount of extra headroom in the 16 I couldn’t justify it personally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭nomoedoe

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Bassfish - do you have the New York style recipe?

Does anyone have a good sourdough pizza recipe?

I got a Karu multifuel and used it this weekend, we love it!

Small pizzas to start with, til we get the hang of things. I think this weekend I'll try calzones and maybe chocolate doughballs too.

How do people clean off the pizza stone? I know they say that it cleans itself but we had a few mishaps with getting the pizzas onto the stone right at the weekend so there is sauce and cheese burned onto it.

Just scrape off as much as you can from the stone and then flip it over and cook on the other side I’d do that each time I cook ,I never clean the stone with water or detergents .

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭nomoedoe

They look perfect. Anyone in Ireland stock them? I think Jeff B has enough of my money these days.

I’ve got those exact ones in Tesco but that was last year not sure if they still sell them

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Unless you’re very very good at making pizza you will find anything bigger than 12 inch extremely hard to handle/stretch. If money is no object go for the 16 but considering you don’t get a huge amount of extra headroom in the 16 I couldn’t justify it personally

Very good advice thanks :) When I'm doing it in the oven, I cheat and use a rolling pin (I know sorry) to get them nice and thin. They're stretched on baking paper so they're easier to handle but I reckon this method won't work with a pizza oven and I probably would struggle alright with going bigger than a 12 inch. I think the cost of Koda 12 will be an easier sell to my wife, especially when I need to factor in the cost of a peel, gas canister etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

I was in the same boat and a friend who has the 16” regrets buying that size along the skill needed to make a 16” he mentioned very often people want different toppings and it’s easier to keep people happy with their own 12” pizza, which is surprisingly filling if having a bit of salad and drinks. He said basically only makes 12” pizzas now.

I was in the same boat and a friend who has the 16” regrets buying that size along the skill needed to make a 16” he mentioned very often people want different toppings and it’s easier to keep people happy with their own 12” pizza, which is surprisingly filling if having a bit of salad and drinks. He said basically only makes 12” pizzas now.

ok great, thanks for sharing that. That's me decided then :D Any advice on what accessories to buy with it? Thinking of the cover to make storing easier, and the wooden peel. Lidl are selling a cheap peel from Thursday which I'll probably pick up too. What infrared thermometers do people recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Redlim

ok great, thanks for sharing that. That's me decided then :D Any advice on what accessories to buy with it? Thinking of the cover to make storing easier, and the wooden peel. Lidl are selling a cheap peel from Thursday which I'll probably pick up too. What infrared thermometers do people recommend?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01I4TB2IM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_AN1H43RQTK38DJZ8D9HR

I use this IR thermometer. There's a 10% discount voucher you can apply. Measures up to 750C.

If you think you'll be making multiple pizzas regularly I'd recommend having 2 wooden peels so you can be preparing a couple together and have them ready to launch - just don't leave them sitting on the peel for too long as they start getting stuck. Some semolina dusted on the peel helps with launching.

Will be getting the Lidl steel peel myself this week also. Using the Ooni one without the handle currently which is also fine.

The Ooni Koda cover is very handy, especially if transporting it.

The individual tubs that were linked earlier would also be very useful for proving individual dough balls.

The ooni accessories are mad money but I had the discount code thanks to posters here and it discounted the perforated peel as well so just went ahead with that. That’s all I’ve bought as I haven’t received the oven itself yet. Looking at a fold up table now as suggested, would be handy. It’s all adding up but we were regularly buying pizza from a local Italian which were very nice but was coming to near €50 for 3 twelve inch pizzas for 4 of us so I’m considering it an investment! We spent over €600 last year on pizzas from them! That was justification for getting one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,656 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I think the 12" is perfect. Anything bigger and the centre will start to sag and/or the crust will get over done.

Cant recommend a wooden pizza peel enough. Dusting of semolina on it and the pizza wont stick for ages. With a steel peel, it can stick in seconds which is annoying/disastrous when feeding a crowd.

Although happy mistakes mean I can do a good calzone now!

Thanks a mil folks :D

The infrared on ooni is mad expensive alright so will probably go with the cheaper one on Amazon.

I found a 10% code for ooni so will likely get the cover and wooden peel with the oven. I've seen plenty of recommendation for the wooden peels, so I reckon that's the way to go. I'm thinking of using that for loading and firing and the maybe Lidl peel to rotate.

Also those individual containers that someone linked to previously look ideal too.

@nialler1978 think you're definitely justified in getting one when spending that much from your local pizza joint :) Do you know roughly how long from ordering to receiving?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,636 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah I think the 16 inch size is too big unless your budget isnt a consideration and you know you can stretch out a dough ball into a 16 inch pizza very well. It is not an easy task because the actual pizza size is 40% bigger whereas 12 inch pizza size is much more manageable.

The 16 inch Koda oven does have a slight advantage in that the gas flames come up at the sides of the oven as well as the back of it. But I dont think that alone is worth paying 100 quid extra.

• Advertisement

@nialler1978 think you're definitely justified in getting one when spending that much from your local pizza joint :) Do you know roughly how long from ordering to receiving?

I ordered on Friday extremely drunk so could’ve been early Saturday or late Friday night, got a shipment email today from GLS with tracking. But Im reading plenty on this thread and another one that it’s hit or miss so I don’t know. A poster on the discount thread ordered May 7th, got an update on tracking on 12th and still hasn’t received it. Im holding off on making dough or sauce until it arrives.

I ordered on Friday extremely drunk so could’ve been early Saturday or late Friday night, got a shipment email today from GLS with tracking. But Im reading plenty on this thread and another one that it’s hit or miss so I don’t know. A poster on the discount thread ordered May 7th, got an update on tracking on 12th and still hasn’t received it. Im holding off on making dough or sauce until it arrives.

Just pulled the trigger there so I'll be in the queue behind ya. Fingers crossed we're not waiting too long. Getting excited now :D

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Muahahaha wrote: »
    ...the actual pizza size is 40% bigger...

78% bigger by my calculation. A 16" pizza is huge!

oscarBravo wrote: »
    78% bigger by my calculation. A 16" pizza is huge!

acutally you're right 113 square inches v 201 square inches

most%20popular%20pizza%20sizes.png

Seems an 18 inch pizza is the same as two 12 inch pizzas as well

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭the_galway_fry

am i being thick here , dont see any pricing or where to buy on their site

https://italicatessen.ie/about/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

am i being thick here , dont see any pricing or where to buy on their site

https://italicatessen.ie/about/

Their online shop is http://www.ripasso.shop

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭zedhead

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah I think the 16 inch size is too big unless your budget isnt a consideration and you know you can stretch out a dough ball into a 16 inch pizza very well. It is not an easy task because the actual pizza size is 40% bigger whereas 12 inch pizza size is much more manageable.

The 16 inch Koda oven does have a slight advantage in that the gas flames come up at the sides of the oven as well as the back of it. But I dont think that alone is worth paying 100 quid extra.

We have recently ordered the 16 inch Koda and it was mainly because of the additional gas burner. We don't actually plan on making 16 inch pizzas but when we looked at reviews and comparrisons between it and the 12 on youtube, the extra space to manouver and turn a 12 inch plus the added burner made it seem like the better option. Now we were given an ooni voucher as a wedding gift so the additional expense was offset by that and made it easier to make the decision.

My sister has the Frya 12 and my parents have the Karu 12 so we have seen both in action and hopefully we haven't made a bad choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Ned01

zedhead wrote: »
    We have recently ordered the 16 inch Koda and it was mainly because of the additional gas burner. We don't actually plan on making 16 inch pizzas but when we looked at reviews and comparrisons between it and the 12 on youtube, the extra space to manouver and turn a 12 inch plus the added burner made it seem like the better option. Now we were given an ooni voucher as a wedding gift so the additional expense was offset by that and made it easier to make the decision.

My sister has the Frya 12 and my parents have the Karu 12 so we have seen both in action and hopefully we haven't made a bad choice.

You won't regret it. I have both the 12 and 16 and the difference is like night and day. I used the 12 for a year before getting the 16.

With the 16 there is less turning as there are burners on two sides, it's also a lot easier to turn your pizza using a small turning peel without taking the pizza out. The extra height and width makes the whole process so much easier.

Don't get me wrong the 12 is great but the 16 is just less hassle. The only downsides are the price and the fact it uses more gas.

zedhead wrote: »

you havent made a bad choice at all as both are great pizza ovens regardless. The 16 does have more space which is handy as are the side burners. Its the preferable of the two for that alone so long as the budget fits and with a voucher that takes the sting out of it.

And as you said you're not planning on making 16 inch pizzas anyway. Maybe in time and with experience of dough stretching you will. But I was mainly making the point that people see the 16 inch oven videos on Youtube and think great, we will make 16 inch pizzas right out of the box but it isnt as easy as some professtional chef or baker in a video makes it look. Even starting out making 12 inch pizzas everyone has a few disasters till they master it. Beginning trying with 16 inch pizza would likely end in tears for a lot of people, I know it would for me anyway such is the size of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Their online shop is http://www.ripasso.shop

Link - this is the pepperoni I use, enough for 4 pizzas

Advertisement