Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Lads anyone know somewhere near Finglas to get Caputo flour?

Tried SuperValu in the village as well as the big Tesco, in neither. Don't fancy driving back to swords if it can be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 alkelly

Damo 2k9 wrote: »

Tried SuperValu in the village as well as the big Tesco, in neither. Don't fancy driving back to swords if it can be avoided.

SuperValu blanch have it though traffic is desperate on M50 when on it at 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Damo 2k9 wrote: »

If you can’t get the flour you want you could always sub in strong flour or most flours with a higher >12% protein content, should be fine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

stevek93 wrote: »
    Jasus what temperature do you cook your pizzas at? :eek:

Generally with pizza the hotter the oven the better the result

alkelly wrote: »
    SuperValu blanch have it though traffic is desperate on M50 when on it at 4.

Happy days, I'll be in blanch village tomorrow so will grab some.

1.50 for a 1kg the last time I was in SuperValu, not bad at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭hargo

With regard to accessories for pizza oven I made most of mine . Looking at the Lidl peel yesterday and its a good heavy sheet I was thinking it would be a simple enough job for anyone with a router or even a drill to make it a perforated job. Great for getting rid of excess flour without the crazy price tag of those peels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭rje66

hargo wrote: »
    With regard to accessories for pizza oven I made most of mine . Looking at the Lidl peel yesterday and its a good heavy sheet I was thinking it would be a simple enough job for anyone with a router or even a drill to make it a perforated job. Great for getting rid of excess flour without the crazy price tag of those peels.
    Made a quick homemade one from left over ply, it will do for now, but will perfect a better one when I have time.

@ Alkelly you must have bought all the blue Caputo in blanch :pac:

None in stock but they have the red caputo as well as the Le 5 Stagioni for 1.50 per kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Looking for that kind of table, when did you get one from Navan?

It's back in stock in a few stores now. I wouldn't go any smaller that that (62cms x 62cms) for the Ooni Koda 12, it just about fits it ok. Ikea do a similar table as well I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭joficeduns1

NY Style in a Koda 12. A bit singed but very happy with the stretch and bake. Toppings were well balanced - Mozz/Pecorino, red onion, chilli flake, EVOO, basil, salt/pepper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FCB1899

Popped into Dublin today and came across this place.Pizza peels,corderite stones and cutters. Very cheap and might suit somebody starting out but probably not the best quality.

https://sostrenegrene.com/ie/products/kitchen/pizza-stone-p-637ae4e0?searchTerm=pizza

NY Style in a Koda 12. A bit singed but very happy with the stretch and bake. Toppings were well balanced - Mozz/Pecorino, red onion, chilli flake, EVOO, basil, salt/pepper.

Jesus they look savage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Looking for a bit of advice on where I’ve went wrong, first two batches of dough have been a bit of a failure.

Used the basic recipe from the Ooni video. 1kg of De Cecco Farina 00, 600ml of water, quick yeast and salt.

Both mixed in the mixer with dough hook. A little over 10 minutes as recommended. The dough was tacky/ sticky but thought nothing off it. One was cold proofed the other at room temperature. Both had near doubled in size( cold proof 48 hours, room temp 24hrs). But when splitting the dough to smaller balls the dough is still sticky and near impossible to get any sort of shape on when divided up and sticking to everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭joficeduns1

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of advice on where I’ve went wrong, first two batches of dough have been a bit of a failure.

Used the basic recipe from the Ooni video. 1kg of De Cecco Farina 00, 600ml of water, quick yeast and salt.

Both mixed in the mixer with dough hook. A little over 10 minutes as recommended. The dough was tacky/ sticky but thought nothing off it. One was cold proofed the other at room temperature. Both had near doubled in size( cold proof 48 hours, room temp 24hrs). But when splitting the dough to smaller balls the dough is still sticky and near impossible to get any sort of shape on when divided up and sticking to everything.

Use enough flour to make sure it doesn't stick, as your stretching improves you can work to use less flour. Watch loads of pizza stretching videos to find a technique that suits you.

If your dough is too soft and sticky maybe reduce the water you use (lower hydration) or else mix for longer or incorporate some stretching/folding to try strengthen the gluten.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

alkelly wrote: »
    Quick question for those who've got the Koda 12 (or even Koda 16)... I've been making my own dough and pizzas about a year now but have just been using the kitchen oven turned up to the max. Thinking of treating myself to a new ooni as I hit 40 last week and trying to decide between the 12 and 16. Those with the 12, are you happy with the size or do yis wish you had gone with the 16?

I used to have a 12inch uuni 2 (before they were Ooni), which i found too tight. I now have the 16 inch ooni pro and the extra space makes it so much easier to turn pizzas without having to take them out. With a 16 available I don’t see why anyone would want a 12 (apart from cost).

Theres some thing wrong because 60% hydration is quite low and I wouldn't expect it to be so sticky. I would use 64 to 66% hydration without a problem. Is the scales accurate? Weigh your water as well as the flour. Give Vito Lacopelli a look on Utube, he has some great videos and advise. 25kg of Caputo about €20 odd in Musgraves buy a bag if you can and keep practicing and in a few months you'll be tossing them on utube. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would use 64 to 66% hydration without a problem. Is the scales accurate? Weigh your water as well as the flour.
    +1. I wondered how they measured the water. I would pour out the water in the exact same way again and weigh it.

I would not trust glass jugs with painted on lines, these can be misaligned. I have also found moulded measuring jugs with moulded lines to in inaccurate. Also if jugs are very wide then 2mm difference in level can be a lot of volume.

A CE marked pint glass should hold 568ml, non stamped glasses which look pint size can vary a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Thanks all. Measured in a measuring jug. Didn’t even think to weigh the water. A little bit of trial and error and hopefully I’ll get the hang of it!

Edit weighted the jug and it was marked a little lower than what was in it so a bit of a loss there. Below is a few pics of the dough.

https://imgur.com/a/hQ4Z8ZC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Made calzone, garlic bread and chocolate doughballs this weekend. Need to get something to sit the doughballs into ... they were flying everywhere and two got stuck in the back

This was my second go at the oven - my launches were perfect this time because I covered the base and peel in polenta - is it cheating? I don't know, but it worked for me.

I had asked about a sourdough pizza base recipe- if anyone is interested, lidl is selling jusrol packets of sourdough pizza base. I got a pack and am going to try it this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I had asked about a sourdough pizza base recipe- if anyone is interested, lidl is selling jusrol packets of sourdough pizza base. I got a pack and am going to try it this weekend

Sourdough is notoriously difficult to work with. I’ve been making sourdough bread for nearly four years I think, pizza dough for a few years longer. I haven’t dared to try it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

I've not had any issues with sourdough pizza - use PizzaApp and select LSD (liquid sourdough) as your yeast type and fire away. Flavour is lovely!

Springwell wrote: »
    I've not had any issues with sourdough pizza - use PizzaApp and select LSD (liquid sourdough) as your yeast type and fire away. Flavour is lovely!

Ok. Found app and LSD, got ingredients but no method. Am I missing something? How do you get the dough to behave?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭nomoedoe

I made a 4 cheeses pizza over the weekend it was my first time trying it and I think I used too much Taleggio cheese as there was a very overpowering taste from it still nice though and turned out great!

62-B5-F581-9653-4-AED-94-E5-F6-BA66-A3409-C.jpg

68-BD4-DDE-F17-A-43-CC-9001-0-D8-A11-A80-DF5.jpg

704983-CD-E675-4-A83-9227-E38-E3-CCFD31-A.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

De Cecco is a well-regarded brand in this house so I tried their 00 last year. I used the same recipe that I used for other brands but it turned out much stickier. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it, it just seems to need a lower hydration.

In other news, I finally ordered the Karu 12.

Has anyone made their own mozzarella and how did it go. I have used the pizza mozzarella from Toonsbridge and the flavour is fabulous and the cheese drier for pizza making but I am not in a position to pick it up regularly so I am going to try the homemade variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Has anyone made their own mozzarella and how did it go. I have used the pizza mozzarella from Toonsbridge and the flavour is fabulous and the cheese drier for pizza making but I am not in a position to pick it up regularly so I am going to try the homemade variety.

I presume mozzarella would freeze pretty well for pizza use. Anyone tried?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭budgemook

Assuming you don't have buffalo milk, there is cow's milk mozzarella balls in little Italy in Smithfield in Dublin that you could try first.

I have all the stuff to make mozzarella but haven't tried yet. I made ricotta which was easy enough as it doesn't need rennet or stretching etc. One thing I'd say is I had much better results with citric acid than with vinegar or lemon juice.

I made it once. You need a lot of milk to make a little mozzarella. If you want to make it drier, slice it and place it between layers of kitchen roll for an hour or so (putting something heavy on top helps too). You can then stick it back in the fridge.

Have the rennet and citric acid on order will report on results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Ok. Found app and LSD, got ingredients but no method. Am I missing something? How do you get the dough to behave?

My method is literally dump ingredients as listed for appropriate number of balls of size you chose in mixer. Mix for 10mins. Scrape out on to well floured surface. Allow rest for 10mins. Knead lightly until a decent ball forms and throw into bulk proving tub. It can still be quite soft/shapeless at this stage especially at higher hydration. I prefer about 64% but have gone to 72%.

If using CT/fridge prove I room temp prove for 2 hours before popping fridge. Then pull from fridge 6 hours before cook and ball up into individual tubs. Leave at room temp until ready to stretch.

If using just room temp/RT (usually 24h for me) I ball up about 4-5h before cook.

Balling up I divide dough by weight then fold/pinch into itself until vaguely round, dip top in flour and turn unfloured edge on to work surface. Cup dough ball and pull gently towards you, then turn 90 degrees and repeat ad nauseum until you get a nice tight drum like top and well sealed bottom to the ball.

Stretching - I dip the whole ball into flour then put on a semolina dusted surface to open.

Hope that helps!

Advertisement