Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gin Gin Gin

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Can you find out where they got it? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

BeerNut wrote: »
    Can you find out where they got it? :eek:

I was told in my local Aldi that only a few bottle came in, snapped up immediately and no more due for a fortnight at least

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The Boyles Gin seems to be a hit with all sections of the community. Some street drinkers left an empty bottle on my windowsill last night.

LOL I shouldn't but I like that.

While Boyle's is seriously good value for what it is, there's way cheaper booze to be had in any Aldi. I suspect students. Discerning pisshead students.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I just got some in Wexford (Newtown Road), I bought two and there were eight left on the shelves. I also got asked for ID which hasn't happened in a long time, even in Lidl or Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭bookworms

Bertha 's revenge is very tasty indeed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Xaniaj

Sipping on some Boyles now, a lovely gin. No problems getting it in Cork anyway so I didn't need to grab more than one bottle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

Xaniaj wrote: »
    Sipping on some Boyles now, a lovely gin. No problems getting it in Cork anyway so I didn't need to grab more than one bottle!

Not everywhere in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭thesandeman

LOL I shouldn't but I like that.

While Boyle's is seriously good value for what it is, there's way cheaper booze to be had in any Aldi. I suspect students. Discerning pisshead students.

No. Definitely street lads. My windowsill is their local.
    I asked them yesterday. Apparently one of them liked the look of the bottle so they splashed out and then forgot the bottle when they had finished it.
    I gave it back to them :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Xaniaj

maximum12 wrote: »
    Not everywhere in Cork.

Fair point, I was in Aldi in Grange and there were loads of bottles.

It's in aldi in Tralee today, loads of it there :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Aldi Fonthill had plenty - non urban area might help. Cork is insanely difficult to open.

L1011 wrote: »
    Aldi Fonthill had plenty - non urban area might help. Cork is insanely difficult to open.

We know about the cork issue. Slimmer corks asap.
    (they're just as difficult to put in initially too)
    Finding the right cork is insanely difficult. We're on our third different cork for our Blackwater No. 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

We know about the cork issue. Slimmer corks asap.
    (they're just as difficult to put in initially too)
    Finding the right cork is insanely difficult. We're on our third different cork for our Blackwater No. 5.
    Wow! Makes sense that it could be difficult, but would have thought it would be a critical element in initial packaging design.
    So, what you're saying is I shouldn't open it until I intend to finish it; I'll clear my Saturday :D

Well we sourced the corks from the bottle manufacturer so assumed there wouldn't be a problem.
    It's not that hard to get back in!

You have no idea how difficult corks are.

There are so many elements to get right. Bottle, label, neck label, cork, shrink seal, box, box insert, box sticker (or printed), barcode. It's not easy and we had a very short lead time on this which was then brought forward by winning Best Irish Gin.

Making great gin is the easy part!

Am I making excuses? Yes.
    Have I seen other companies of all sizes and experience have teething problems with new products? Yes.

As long as these problems are addressed, that's the main thing.

Well we sourced the corks from the bottle manufacturer so assumed there wouldn't be a problem.
    It's not that hard to get back in!

You have no idea how difficult corks are.

Why not go the way of wine producers and use synthetic corks, rubberised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Or why not go the way of the screwtop cap?

They are synthetic.

Or why not go the way of the screwtop cap?

I'd like to.
    Our strawberry gin was in a screw cap (a type called gpi) due to bottle sourcing issues. I liked it but is seems that the market (and Aldi) expect a cork for premium products.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Tried to get another bottle of this the other day. Was sold out. Lads your logistics aren't working have you tried using a different lorry?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

I'd like to.
    Our strawberry gin was in a screw cap (a type called gpi) due to bottle sourcing issues. I liked it but is seems that the market (and Aldi) expect a cork for premium products.

Yes, I think youre right.

I bought some expensive gins over the weekend and the ones Ive tasted so far all have corks.

• Advertisement

Tried to get another bottle of this the other day. Was sold out. Lads your logistics aren't working have you tried using a different lorry?

:pac:

We don't handle the distribution bit. We deliver to the distribution centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

We don't handle the distribution bit. We deliver to the distribution centres.
    I was just joshing seeing as everyone was telling you how to do your job :).

I was just joshing seeing as everyone was telling you how to do your job :).

I know. I got the smiley face.
    Just thought I'd point out the fact all the same.

I imagine it's not easy to keep circa 140 stores supplied when it's selling so fast.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd like to.

I've a bottle of No.5 here with a screwtop - bought in O'Briens a while back. At least I hope its actually No.5!

Never noticed the screwtop vs. cork for premium on gin - but I do on whiskey, so I'd see why retailers would care.

I've a bottle of No.5 here with a screwtop - bought in O'Briens a while back. At least I hope its actually No.5!

Never noticed the screwtop vs. cork for premium on gin - but I do on whiskey, so I'd see why retailers would care.

There was a small amount of No. 5 went out with the screw cap when we had bottle supply issues.
    Might have been collectable if you hadn't opened it!

Not... open... spirits? I don't understand that concept, sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Just after a glass of Inverroche Verdant, nice floral taste with a hint of spice. Small South African distillery. Very enjoyable.

Looking forward to trying the Drumshanbo gin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭anewme

never got the fascination with G&T. Probabky had a turn off as a student ..never went back. Anyway, tastes change and stumbled across this thread......said to myself I must be missing something???

As much would have it, Brand Ambassador sampling Dingle Gin in SuperValu today. The promotion included the Gin,couple of Oranges pack of Juniper berries and 2 lovely lovely branded glasses.

Went into O'Briens next door and got a couple of Poachers tonics .....so sitting here having g&t with orange, juniper berries and loads of ice.

Where has this "gin" been hiding all my life.....?

I'm putting 25mls of gin into it.....half bottle of tonic...is 25ml the right measure???

Next on list is to try that Wexford Strawberry Gin....sounds delicious!!!

anewme wrote: »
    never got the fascination with G&T. Probabky had a turn off as a student ..never went back. Anyway, tastes change and stumbled across this thread......said to myself I must be missing something???

As much would have it, Brand Ambassador sampling Dingle Gin in SuperValu today. The promotion included the Gun, couple of Oranges pack of Juniper berries and 2 lovely lovely branded glasses.

Went into O'Briens next door and got a couple of Poachers tonics .....so sitting here having g&t with orange, juniper berries and loads of ice.

Where has this "gin" been hiding all my life.....?

I'm putting 25mls of gin into it.....half bottle of tonic...is 25ml the right measure???

Next on list is to try that Wexford Strawberry Gin....sounds delicious!!!

A pub measure is 35.5mls.
    25 is a UK measure, I think.

I would, of course, say that the Wexford Strawberry gin is delicious! Just be prepared that it is gin, not a strawberry flavoured liqueur.
    Think hint of strawberry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭anewme

A pub measure is 35.5mls.
    25 is a UK measure, I think.

I would, of course, say that the Wexford Strawberry gin is delicious! Just be prepared that it is gin, not a strawberry flavoured liqueur.
    Think hint of strawberry.

Yep that's what I'm liking forward to...just the hint of strawberry...find flavoured liqueurs too sweet!!!

No more UK measures for me....Irish all the way.

Advertisement