Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gin Gin Gin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

What's the best way to drink this new Boyles gin, just with tonic?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

What's the best way to drink this new Boyles gin, just with tonic?

Works very well with tonic and a slice of apple. Lemon or pink grapefruit works too.

Try it neat or with some ice too, add a garnish and if it's still not to your taste, add tonic a little at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

got a bottle in aldi last night.. lovely looking bottle...

as recommended will try it neat first. what is meant by a garnish ?
    i have enjoyed gin with sparkling water ...is that a usual combination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

Is this going to be permanently available in aldi or is it a homestore and more type thing?

Garnish is lemon or lime or whatever else you fancy adding

• Advertisement

I know people who drink gin with sparkling water. If you enjoy it that way, then it's good!

There is no right or wrong way to drink anything, just different ways.

I don't like to see people dump a whole bottle of tonic into a gin without tasting it or seeing if it's nicer with, say, half a bottle. But it's their drink!

maximum12 wrote: »
    Is this going to be permanently available in aldi or is it a homestore and more type thing?

Most likely will be permanent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

I do wish I had an ALDI nearby.

Those of you who can travel North- a 70cl bottle of Henricks Gin is going for £26 in Sainsburys (well over 40 euro down south)

Tried Dingle Gin for the first time a few weeks ago- it's very good.

Those of you who can travel North- a 70cl bottle of Henricks Gin is going for £26 in Sainsburys (well over 40 euro down south)
    Still dearer than Boyle's Gin!

I'm surprised at Hendricks discounting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Just picked up a bottle in Aldi in Tallaght. Still 2 left on the shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Picked a bottle of Boyle's in Aldi Bray. Looking forward to cracking it open tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Checked Sallynoggin and Sandyford and none left :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

None in Tralee, or at least not on the shelves

Shelves being restocked in Cork city centre when I was in a couple of hours ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭paddyref

I have been a disciple of the "blood of an English man" for a long time now having been introduced by a publican friend when he decided that I had consumed enough pints and a drop of Cork Dry would be the job, safe to say I was hooked and while I would only drink the Cork Dry now if no other gins are available. Love Hendrick's, Gordon's,Tanqueray especially no 10, Bombay but my current squeeze is the blackwater no 5 with ice, lemon and limes with either Fentimens or Fever Tree tonic water mixer. I'm definitely going to try the Boyle when I can get hold of it. I love the map of the Blackwater river on the bottle and makes a great present to friends overseas.

Anyone try Bombay Gin? Not Bombay Sapphire, just Bombay? It has a very similar label but it's in a clear bottle- made by the same manufacturers. it's much cheaper than Sapphire, hence the ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Can anyone recommend a "savoury" or maybe a slightly more sour gin that i could try?

I'm used to the usual pub gins, and find Hendricks very sweet. I prefer sour drinks so I'm wondering, of the plethora of gins that seem to be on the market recently, which might suit my taste buds best???

(Don't know if it's even possible to answer that question!)

A gin that might be available in Heathrow duty free would be a bonus, I'll be coming home through there in a few weeks.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Finally picked up some Boyle's Gin yesterday and it's well worth the hype/€27 IMO. Lovely paired with some apple and a drain of tonic.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Picked up a bottle of Boyles in Ashbourne.

The sign said to ask the cashier for details as they didn't have it on the shelf.

• Advertisement

Tried Coolock and Santry. Neither have it.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a "savoury" or maybe a slightly more sour gin that i could try?

I'm used to the usual pub gins, and find Hendricks very sweet. I prefer sour drinks so I'm wondering, of the plethora of gins that seem to be on the market recently, which might suit my taste buds best???

(Don't know if it's even possible to answer that question!)

A gin that might be available in Heathrow duty free would be a bonus, I'll be coming home through there in a few weeks.....

Not sure that there are any sour gins out there but Gin Mare is certainly savoury with rosemary, thyme, basil and olives as botanicals.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Having a gin & tonic party in a few weeks - gins on offer so far are Boyle's Gin, Bombay Sapphire, Tanqueray and Dingle Gin. Looking at getting a bottle of Blackwater Wexford Strawberry Gin.
    What garnishes would be best with all of these?
    So far, thinking Boyle's Gin with apple, Dingle Gin with juniper berries, orange and lime. Bombay with lime?

cee_jay wrote: »
    Having a gin & tonic party in a few weeks - gins on offer so far are Boyle's Gin, Bombay Sapphire, Tanqueray and Dingle Gin. Looking at getting a bottle of Blackwater Wexford Strawberry Gin.
    What garnishes would be best with all of these?
    So far, thinking Boyle's Gin with apple, Dingle Gin with juniper berries, orange and lime. Bombay with lime?
    Blackwater Wexford strawberry gin with strawberry, fresh basil and cracked black pepper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Blackwater Wexford strawberry gin with strawberry, fresh basil and cracked black pepper.

Does the cracked black pepper not get really annoying when drinking though? By that I mean going into your mouth?

enda1 wrote: »
    Does the cracked black pepper not get really annoying when drinking though? By that I mean going into your mouth?

Just a little twist of pepper. No problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Just a little twist of pepper. No problem.

Fair enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

This sounds great.

Where would one pick this gin up? I'm based in the midlands but work in Dublin regularly as well.

boobar wrote: »
    This sounds great.

Where would one pick this gin up? I'm based in the midlands but work in Dublin regularly as well.

Any O Briens, Celtic Whiskey Shop.
    Any good off licence, really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,958 ✭✭✭thesandeman

The Boyles Gin seems to be a hit with all sections of the community. Some street drinkers left an empty bottle on my windowsill last night.

Advertisement