Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! Maths HL paper 1 2016 - Before and After

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I believe once you make a mistake and get the wrong number, but use that wrong number throughout the whole question even for other parts - you only get docked marks for the first time you used the wrong number?

The rest of the question is presumed correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Seaaan

Ah balls I differentiated that wrong.. used product rule and got x cos 1/x + sin 1/x.. Attempt marks be lovely to me :)
    I did opposite over adjacent too, was that not right? Seemed to be. I got like 34 degrees though I may have mixed up the x and y co-ords, hilariously enough

Oh wait it's tan inverse 3.05/4.5 giving 34 degrees.. hmm

I should have written all my answers on English copy so I could check and be sure now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bookworm20

Alright lads listen, that was by far the easiest test ever created. I literally think I got 100%. I ad like an hour left at the end. Here's some answers:
    Basket ball angle:52 degrees
    Slope of sine fiction:0.15
    Pythagoras triangle: x=10
    Average height of ball: 16.66

Hope this helps! ☺
    Seaaan wrote: »
    Ah balls I differentiated that wrong.. used product rule and got x cos 1/x + sin 1/x.. Attempt marks be lovely to me :)

Oh wait it's tan inverse 3.05/4.5 giving 34 degrees.. hmm

I should have written all my answers on English copy so I could check and be sure now :(

Doing that gets u the angle from the x-axis to the point B. Not the landing angle of the ball at B

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Seaaan

bookworm20 wrote: »
    Doing that gets u the angle from the x-axis to the point B. Not the landing angle of the ball at B

Looking at it now and understand.. 'To the horizontal' had me confused with x axis, stupid mistake.. Really don't want to believe I got an A and not get one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Soolander

I was just wondering are the SEC allowed to put different chapters in either paper that they're technically not supposed to?

As in is there anything stopping them putting a financial maths q in paper 2? I understand there can be overlapping between topics though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

Soolander wrote: »
    I was just wondering are the SEC allowed to put different chapters in either paper that they're technically not supposed to?

As in is there anything stopping them putting a financial maths q in paper 2? I understand there can be overlapping between topics though.

They could put financial maths on Paper 2 but almost certainly it will not be a stand alone financial question. The probability or statistics question may contain a financial component. This component will almost certainly involve a common sense approach to money. I think you can safely forget about your mortgages/amortisation techniques for Paper 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

Soolander wrote: »

They can overlap but I couldn't see full topics being transferred. I wouldn't think that Financial Maths would appear on Paper 2...believe it or not elements that they like testing in that topic such as stream of geometric payments were tested today (Q9). And in Q8 part b (ii) of the javelin question was almost identical to the method used to convert a yearly interest rate to a monthly...

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭malnurtured

skippy1977 wrote: »
    They can overlap but I couldn't see full topics being transferred. I wouldn't think that Financial Maths would appear on Paper 2...believe it or not elements that they like testing in that topic such as stream of geometric payments were tested today (Q9). And in Q8 part b (ii) of the javelin question was almost identical to the method used to convert a yearly interest rate to a monthly...

Yep that's true, I remember doing the square root with the number behind it like in financial maths Qs. They definitely slid in some FM elements in disguise in the paper, none of the harder stuff though.
    bookworm20 wrote: »
    Alright lads listen, that was by far the easiest test ever created. I literally think I got 100%. I ad like an hour left at the end. Here's some answers:
    Basket ball angle:52 degrees
    Slope of sine fiction:0.15
    Pythagoras triangle: x=10
    Average height of ball: 16.66

Hope this helps! ☺

How'd you differentiate the function to end up with 0.15 for the next part?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Nathan12345

What did ye get for the point of the simultaneous equations? I got (0,-0.67) but my friend says he got (-1,2) which would seem more logical but I'm sure I did all the correct steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

What did ye get for the point of the simultaneous equations? I got (0,-0.67) but my friend says he got (-1,2) which would seem more logical but I'm sure I did all the correct steps.

I got 11/15 and 11/17 or something along those lines then i also got -1,2. you need two different coordinates btw.

• Advertisement

I got 11/15 and 11/17 or something along those lines then i also got -1,2. you need two different coordinates btw.

Oh well I think I failed haha, thanks

Yeah they were (-2,1) and (17/11, -15/11)

Majority of marks for the method so I wouldn't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

You have monday to redeem yourself! I'm taking the evening off then starting into paper 2 tomorrow morning

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

TSMGUY wrote: »
    teach me how do the "fist" derivative...
    You really are beginning to sound like Al Porter! :p

Does anyone know what the deal was with the bee question? The table made it seem as if two of the results in G5 overlapped, but I used the formula in the later part of the question to get G6 and G7 to be like 8 and 13 (I think) respectively. Was that right or should the answers on the table for G5 overlap, bringing G6 and G7 down (7 and 11, I think?)

Does anyone know what the deal was with the bee question? The table made it seem as if two of the results in G5 overlapped, but I used the formula in the later part of the question to get G6 and G7 to be like 8 and 13 (I think) respectively. Was that right or should the answers on the table for G5 overlap, bringing G6 and G7 down (7 and 11, I think?)

A quick look (I'll have to check these) but yeah G6 is 8 and G7 is 13....G5 in the table has 5 entries

Subbing 3 into the final formula gives 2....which corresponds to G3 in the table.

A quick look (I'll have to check these) but yeah G6 is 8 and G7 is 13....G5 in the table has 5 entries

Subbing 3 into the final formula gives 2....which corresponds to G3 in the table.

Grand, I think I got that. A few people I was talking to (and myself included the first time around) overlapped two of the entries in G5 on the table, it looked like you were supposed to do that despite it not making much sense. I just played it safe using the formula I guess and that confirmed that you weren't supposed to overlap them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 maroon77

Yes G3=2, G4=3, G5=5, G6=8 and G7=13.

You have monday to redeem yourself! I'm taking the evening off then starting into paper 2 tomorrow morning

Yeah true, I think I got around the 40% mark on Paper 1 but now that I hear everyone found the paper simple and Paper 2 might be hard to compensate I'm worrying. Would I be right in saying that Paper 2 is for the most part the stuff covered in Active Maths Book 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LordHypnos

lovely paper, thought last year's paper was as easy as it gets. Thankfully I was wrong! Pretty much guaranteed to pass overall which was my main concern. Paper 2 do your worst!

• Advertisement

Grand, I think I got that. A few people I was talking to (and myself included the first time around) overlapped two of the entries in G5 on the table, it looked like you were supposed to do that despite it not making much sense. I just played it safe using the formula I guess and that confirmed that you weren't supposed to overlap them.

Yeah well I think the table was just badly lined out...you couldn't draw arrows from the bottom female in G4 in the same fashion as there was no room...I can see the confusion it looked like that arrow goes to the male's female....if you get me???! Def 5 in G5

luftmensch wrote: »
    Actually, does anyone know if I could/should write a note on Mondays paper 2 indicating the unlabelled questions I did on the back of paper 1?

Paper 1 and Paper 2 are marked by 2 different people. Someone correcting that paper will have over 300 papers with the exact same questions completed- they will be well able to figure out what working out belongs to what question. Don't worry about it , go study for Paper 2.....in the morning !!

Yeah true, I think I got around the 40% mark on Paper 1 but now that I hear everyone found the paper simple and Paper 2 might be hard to compensate I'm worrying. Would I be right in saying that Paper 2 is for the most part the stuff covered in Active Maths Book 2?

Yes Active Maths 2 covers Paper 2, think Inferential Stats has to get a big look in this year!
    Although I did think the same about Financial Maths today !!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 louisoc

Alright lads, two things.

First, when I sketched the graph of those two exponential fellas, reading from the graph I got like 0.7 for the poi, while I worked it out to be something like 0.55 algebraically in the next part - what's the story?

Also, when we had to sub in 4/pi for the trig tangent slope, I had my calc in degrees. They don't specificy in the question, so surely they would accept answers using both degrees and radians? Or as soon as you're using trig are you expected to change to radians? I got -0.77 using degrees, looks like correct answer was 0.15, am I going to lose marks there?

Edit: ok well I just did the graph question again and I bolloxed up the algebra, never mind

louisoc wrote: »
    Alright lads, two things.

First, when I sketched the graph of those two exponential fellas, reading from the graph I got like 0.7 for the poi, while I worked it out to be something like 0.55 algebraically in the next part - what's the story?

Also, when we had to sub in 4/pi for the trig tangent slope, I had my calc in degrees. They don't specificy in the question, so surely they would accept answers using both degrees and radians? Or as soon as you're using trig are you expected to change to radians? I got -0.77 using degrees, looks like correct answer was 0.15, am I going to lose marks there?

You'll lose some. They'll expect you to know that trigonometric functions require the degree in radians. As for the 0.7, nearly spot on for reading off the graph....the algebra shows that it is ln2 roughly 0.69

God dammit, I knew I had that calculus question right with -0.77, curse of the radians. There was a question about a horizontal line that required an angle in degrees that threw me off, had it set up before the exam and all.

Is this counted as a "slip" (i.e. minus one mark) or an error which loses you even more marks?

maroon77 wrote: »
    Yes G3=2, G4=3, G5=5, G6=8 and G7=13.

Just copped...it's the Fibonacci sequence!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

The question should specify if pie is in radians or degrees...

Stupid marks lost.

Just copped...it's the Fibonacci sequence!!

Did give that in question
    Gn+2=Gn+1 + Gn
    bit of a silly question to go with some other matching ones!
    The question should specify if pie is in radians or degrees...

Stupid marks lost.

pi is always a measure of angles in radians, not at all necessary to qualify which measurement the angle is in. if it was degrees it would have to have the symbol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Tuttsy

Since there's been a lot of speculation about what's right and what's not, I've tried to verify people's answers to make this list of (hopefully) correct solutions. I left out anything that was just a wordy explanation or where you had to fill in boxes or graphs on the paper. I've done my best to make sure these are right but there could definitely be mistakes in here.

Question 1
    a) -4 -3i
    b) 16
    c) 1 -2i

Question 2
    a) x≤2, x≥6
    b) x=17/11 , y=-15/11
    x=-2 , y=1

Question 3
    b) ln2 or 0.693

Question 4
    b)(i) 3p - q
    (ii) 2q + 2 - 4p

Question 5
    a) x=10
    b)(ii) (x+2)/3

Question 6
    a) 8x + 16
    b)(i) Sin(1/x) - (Cos(1/x))/x
    (ii) 0.15

Question 7
    a)(i) 5/32π
    (ii) 25

b(i) x=0 x=10
    (ii) 16.67m

Question 8
    a)(i) 4.529
    (ii) 52°
    (iv) -0.274x^2 + 1.467x + 2 (not 100% sure about this one)

b)(i) 1000, 1020
    (ii) 72.23m
    (iii) 1.88

Question 9
    a)(i) 7
    (ii) 8
    (iii) (3.2,1.6)

b)(ii) 8, 13

If you find anything you disagree with, please point it out.

Advertisement