Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! Maths HL paper 1 2016 - Before and After

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 louisoc

Anyone else get like (3.2, 1.6) for the point the pattern was approaching in the sequences question?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CreepyOnion

The integration question with the ball was the average value, right? So 1/b-a?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

I thought it was a weird paper..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

The integration question with the ball was the average value, right? So 1/b-a?

Yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 29 randomlad727

louisoc wrote: »
    Anyone else get like (3.2, 1.6) for the point the pattern was approaching in the sequences question?

Yeah I got those values

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

oh F***. I thought they meant it was converging to zero. I said zero for both and wrote a load of ****e about limits. Didn't know they wanted co-ordinates

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DA7800

I thought it was a very nice paper! It went a lot better than it could have. It does have me worried for paper 2, though. Paper 2 is my weaker paper.

I got 29 degrees for my acute angle, inverse tan of the difference between the two slopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CreepyOnion

Who knows, maybe they've just permanently made the papers easier. One can dream ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Appmaths97

How did you guys find the angle?

I TanQ = rate of change of slope (diff twice), then tan inverse to find the angle.

i got the fist derivative and found the slope for that point
    i got -1.3 slope is rise over run the rise was -1.3 and the run was 1 and i tan inversed that

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Soolander

F*** i just realised my calculator was in radian mode when i was trying to calculate the angle. No wonder i couldnt get it. F******* stupid mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

Appmaths97 wrote: »
    i got the fist derivative and found the slope for that point
    i got -1.3 slope is rise over run the rise was -1.3 and the run was 1 and i tan inversed that

teach me how do the "fist" derivative, I never learned that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Giotar

Probably the easiest HL Maths exam I've ever done.

Yep sounds familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 louisoc

For finding the parabola of g(x), what did I have to do? I dicked around with the translation figures I got and ended up with some sort of a curve equation, but I didn't get time to see whether it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

So to get the angle was it. 1. get the slope at the point of the hoop by differentiating the equation and subing in the values, 2. Find theta (howevery you spell that) by using the Tan theta formula to find angle between two lines. I found the slope of the line to be -1.2 something and the other 0, then got tan inverse of that and came out with something like 52?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Better than my mock but just realised now I didn't fully finish the inverse function. Should get most of the marks. Didn't get some things, probably high C at least but it really depends on the marking schemes.

Happy there wasn't any overly difficult geometric series or arithmetic in it. Would have liked some financial but the paper overall wasn't bad so I won't complain about it being left out.

Better than my mock but just realised now I didn't fully finish the inverse function. Should get most of the marks. Didn't get some things, probably high C at least but it really depends on the marking schemes.

That's the one thing I screwed up on and I'm kicking myself because I felt as if my exam was borderline B3/C1. For some reason my brain told me that -1 meant derive it, not find the inverse :(

So now that Paper 1 is finished anyone have any notions about Paper 2? I think external circles might come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭smartz

Can someone post the paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

Realise now I messed up that slope question and didn't do the inverse function right either, there goes my hope at an A more than likely :(

• Advertisement

Was the inverse function not f(x) = y , x on its own , replace y with x ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Corkalex

I have a feeling that they'll throw a financial maths question into paper two :/

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

That has to have been one of the nicest maths papers ever written!! Really happy, let's hope paper 2 isn't awful now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Soolander wrote: »
    Was the inverse function not f(x) = y , x on its own , replace y with x ?

Yeah pretty much.

Let f(x)=y
    Switch the x and y
    Solve for y
    Replace y with f^-1(x)

I forgot to fully solve it basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

smartz wrote: »

I would be hoping people handed up their papers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭luftmensch

smartz wrote: »

It should be up on examinations.ie at around 6:00pm.
    Corkalex wrote: »
    I have a feeling that they'll throw a financial maths question into paper two :/

I really doubt it. Financial maths is paper 1 material.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Oisin1001

Anybody know how to get the last part of Q8(b) where you have to get the formula for g(x), which is the path of the second basketball thrown? Think that was one of the two parts I didn't get worked out completely in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

daraghwal wrote: »
    I would be hoping people handed up their papers :D

People who do it through Irish get to keep the English paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hubluh

Oisin1001 wrote: »
    Anybody know how to get the last part of Q8(b) where you have to get the formula for g(x), which is the path of the second basketball thrown? Think that was one of the two parts I didn't get worked out completely in the end.
    I think you get the perfect square of the first equation and replace the max point in f (x) for the max of g (x)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Oisin1001 wrote: »

I used the complete square method by using the turning point to form an equation, but I'm not sure if that's correct.

(x-h)^2 + K

Advertisement