Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! Maths HL paper 1 2016 - Before and After

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

Tuttsy wrote: »
    Since there's been a lot of speculation about what's right and what's not, I've tried to verify people's answers to make this list of (hopefully) correct solutions. I left out anything that was just a wordy explanation or where you had to fill in boxes or graphs on the paper. I've done my best to make sure these are right but there could definitely be mistakes in here.

If you find anything you disagree with, please point it out.

Agree with all this....though I had a small mistake in the logs question...accidentally brought down the 2 in front of the log before I separated the a and 9....and I left 8(a)(iv) in square form...cos I was too lazy to multiply out....which I just did now and it's the same as yours. Thanks for posting this.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭malnurtured

skippy1977 wrote: »
    Agree with all this....though I had a small mistake in the logs question...accidentally brought down the 2 in front of the log before I separated the a and 9....and I left (a)(iv) in square form...cos I was too lazy to multiply out....which I just did now and it's the same as yours. Thanks for posting this.

I was too lazy to square it out too, I left it in the 'completed square' form, do you lose marks for that? Didn't think it was worth the effort

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Seaaan

Question 8
    a)(i) 4.529
    (ii) 52°
    (iv) -0.274x^2 + 1.467x + 2 (not 100% sure about this one)

For the quadratic I used the point she threw it from and the point of the basket (even though by the diagram the basket wasn't in the same place?), did simultaneous equations and ended up with -.2746x^2 + 1.469x + 2

Wonder if that's right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭medhopeful16

Question 6
    a) 8x + 16
    b)(i) Sin(1/x) - (Cos(1/x))/x
    (ii) 0.15

If you find anything you disagree with, please point it out.

Where does the minus come from in Q6 b?
    When you differentiate sin doesn't it go to cos not -cos?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

The derivative of 1/x is -1/x^2. That's where the minus comes from.

The solution is here:

https://www.symbolab.com/solver/step-by-step/%5Cfrac%7Bd%7D%7Bdx%7D%5Cleft(xsin%5Cleft(%5Cfrac%7B1%7D%7Bx%7D%5Cright)%5Cright)

It's only one question so don't worry about it. If you're a med hopeful, you probably have Physics and/or Chemistry to study for! :p Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I wonder if the completed square format of the equation would be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

I don't know why it wouldn't be accepted. That equation could have been found using the y = a(x - h) + k method or you could have translated the points from the other parabola to have three equations and three unknowns e.g. y = ax^2 + bx + c

Advertisement