Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off topic: chat

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

What do you mean by leading info?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

It was just a suggestion.

Leading to what happened the person around the time of death. How long they were ill, suicide, drowning, misadventure, gunshot, etc - who reported the death

Family sensitivities may be the reason they were forgotten about, or maybe if no death cert to be found - they may not have died at that date but abandoned the family.

Ah yes - I see what you mean now.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Went to message a distant cousin in the US to let them know that the family member they were named after had passed away, just so they didn't find out from an Ancestry update. Email bounced back. Dropped them a message on Ancestry but noticed they had the "over one year ago" sign in date.

Decided to do a very quick search to see if they were on Facebook and found an obit for them from 2016. Oops. I was probably the only person on the Irish side of the family in contact with them (that branch of the family mostly emigrated to New Jersey, but some came back) so nobody knew to let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Yes there is. Depending on date (in Ireland), the Death cert will give the home address and place of death, age, marital status, occupation, cause of death, how long treated (certified) and name and address of the person who notified the death. Sometimes the notifiier will be listed as 'son' or daughter', invaluable in the latter case as it will give a married name. If there was a suspicion on the cause of death a coroner's report will be mentioned. A death notice in a newspaper will mention children & relatives and if the deceased was active in sports, associations, business, poliotics, etc., there will be coverage at a local paper level. They are a mine of information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Like L1011 I find it upsetting to find people have passed away and we did not know. I find England difficult to get info on unless the person gets a mention of their passing perhaps thru their employment or in a church newsletter. We are lucky that RIP.ie is so well used. Although only undertakers can put notices there. My brother died in Australia and I put a notice in Irish newspaper but first they needed confirmation from Australian undertaker. But Irish death notice in paper was not enough for it to be included on RIP.

An unfortunate part of compiling family trees is recording the passing of ones own close family, sadly something I seem to be doing with increased frequency.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yes. With some people, I opened the tree and recorded it straight away. With others, I had to work up to it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I see Ancestry now has a tree display feature where you can turn on or off display of individual spouses for someone - useful with the number of repeatedly widowed people on one side of my family!

Children, if any, of the hidden marriages show coming down a single line from the parent that's still there.

Just reading on RTE.ie that Chapters is to reopen.

At a time of great crisis in the world we need these bits of good news more than ever.

https://www.rte.ie/culture/2022/0308/1285147-chapters-bookstore-to-reopen-this-week/

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

That is great news. I'm sure there will be cynics mumbling about marketing and plans all along though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

They may be right but it's win-win either way.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

So glad to hear about Chapters as I wanted to get into it recently but haven't been in town in over two years. Hope its as good as it used to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

This has probably been mentioned before, but for those with family members who emigrated, the 1950's american census is expected to be coming available in April. Some districts are available now, for viewing anyway (indexing may take more time).

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alan259

Something interesting that I found in the Irish Newspaper Archives.

When two old houses were being demolished near Williamstown recently, census forms of more than 100 years ago were found in the thatch.

In one vase there was a form of 1841 relating to the family of John McDermott, Pollshask, who was then 36 years of age and in the other the form was in respect of 1851 and was that of the family of Brian Tully, aged 44 of Curragh East. The forms were written in splendid handwriting and the printing and paper excellent. 

Published in The Connacht Tribune on 7th May, 1971.

Happy census night, everyone! ;)

Some very sneaky goings on. I'd love to know more about this. Wonder if there were more official documents skived away somewhere.

Is anyone going to Back to Our Past this weekend in Dublin?

I'll be doing 2 lectures. However, the event has been very poorly advertised so I'm not confident those interested in genealogy even know it's on.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Wow - they've kept that quiet!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Heard nothing about it, saw nothing about it. To be fair, the last couple of events were poor - doubt I'd have gone, but can't this weekend anyway.

Didn't hear anything about it either. Probably won't go as I doubt I'd find anything of interest to me at this stage. Might be a good place for new researchers to go though.

• Advertisement

Agree, without the genetic genealogy Ireland talks, it's very much a beginner zone.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I thought it used to be in the Autumn? dont feel happy to mingle in crowds for the moment.

It has been in the autumn in the past, but it's not fixed.

I gave my talk on tracing Dublin ancestors today to a reasonable sized crowd and was pleased with it.

However, the event is much smaller than recent years, and I'm sorry to say it's not worth going for just the genealogy stuff. There's 5 stands.

I'm giving another talk tomorrow on DNA/traditional research combined, but now only plan to attend for that.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mindhorn

Has anyone received spam messages on LivingDNA? Well not exactly spam but I got one the other day just saying "hello" from a Russian user with a strange avatar. 32 cM of a match but zero shared matches.

No, I've gotten nothing like that.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mindhorn

Strange and slightly worrying. Needless to say I've now blocked them.

Read a book that cites the Rotunda birth records in the National Archives, which go back to the mid 18th century and could be useful as a record substitute - mother, father, father's occupation, street name and date (but no child's name!).

Has there ever been an effort to get these scanned let alone transcribed? Doing them up to 1864 would be hugely useful for Dublin genealogy.

Those giving birth in the Rotunda back then are likely to be working class and probably invisible in street directories and so on. Wealthier people generally gave birth in private nursing homes

Haven't come across that before - always good to hear of as yet untapped resources.

What was the book?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Dublin 1745-1922: Hospitals, spectacles and vice. Book is ~15 years old and I've had it for a while but hadn't read it until this week.

• Advertisement

I would have thought the norm was for babies to be born at home back then.

I know that nowadays complicated deliveries are sent up to Dublin hospitals so records for each day are from all over country. Or is it because people attend consultants in Dublin? My daughter was born on a Jan First and there were 60 babies delivered that day in Dublin, a statistic that amazed me.

The recent census had a question to tease out this detail by asking where the mother normally resided when a person was born. My brother supposedly was the heaviest baby born that year in Holles Street. I enquired later and I was told they did not keep such records. He was reputed to be 13 lbs. I wonder what data will be disposed of when the the big move to new premises is made for National Maternity Hospital.

Advertisement