Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asia early 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

TPD wrote: »
    Highlight of my trip so far... its tough to say. I've really enjoyed renting scooters, driving around the countryside, spotting temples in the distance and making my way over to them. That might be less exhilarating for people who've driven a scooter before though :p Had a couple of evenings with locals, out in he countryside in Thailand/Cambodia, which were fun and eye opening. Great evening on a private boat stocked with booze going through a floating village, stopping to buy crocodile meat and pet a snake. And then some brilliant days relaxing by the beach with a book and food/drink delivered as needed!

I haven't been to Bahn Mi Phuong, but I know where I'm going for breakfast :)
    Edit: leaving that til evening snack - was en route and passed a competitor, the Banh Mi Queen, so tried there first. Comparison due later :p
    Edit 2: just finished at Phuong, I think the queen had a slight advantage. Didn't wait til evening, so the tastes would have less time between them and be more easily compared. Science like.

I've got the 30 day visa, I don't feel like I'm rushing, and I'll be through about 10 different towns by the time I'm done, I think. Less places for more time each could easily be done.
    Sounds epic...

Is it much hassle to hire a scooter??what way deos it work...do you hire by the day or long term hire and return it to a depot at other end of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

No hassle at all - I've just been renting it by the day. Usually about $4 for 24 hours, leave the passport with the rental place. No licence, insurance, etc. - risky enough! Not sure about long term - I've met some people who've bought a bike for the trip and plan to sell it before going home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Tristrams Shandied

No hassle at all - I've just been renting it by the day. Usually about $4 for 24 hours, leave the passport with the rental place. No licence, insurance, etc. - risky enough! Not sure about long term - I've met some people who've bought a bike for the trip and plan to sell it before going home.
    Leaving the passport with the bike rental shops is risky because of identity theft. There was a passenger on the missing Malaysia Airline flight who had a passport which was traced back to a tourist who had it stolen from one of the bike rental shops in Thailand.

Yeah, I'd try to rent directly from my hostel where possible, or at a place they recommend. The more pressing risk is coming off the thing and winding up with a huge hospital bill! Still though, so far I've been happy to take the chance, for the amount of extra places I'd have missed without my own transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭monty_python

Yeah, I'd try to rent directly from my hostel where possible, or at a place they recommend. The more pressing risk is coming off the thing and winding up with a huge hospital bill! Still though, so far I've been happy to take the chance, for the amount of extra places I'd have missed without my own transport.

Are you not worried about the cops stopping you with no license??

• Advertisement

A bit yeah, but it seems that they're happier to avoid the paperwork involved in dealing with a foreigner, so as long as you're wearing a helmet and driving sensibly (very low standard here - stay near the pavement if you're driving down the wrong side of the road, for example) they don't try to stop you. I think its an on the spot fine / bribe whenever you're stopped for anything minor too.

I'm in Luang Prabang now, certainly seems lovely! Have spent the day avoiding the sun and reading books in various cafes. Decided to stay here for about a week - the Laotian new year is coming up in a few days, and this town supposedly does it best! Already, there are crowds on the streets throwing water at passing people / cars. Must buy a waterproof bag for the camera/phone/money :p I'm meeting a friend in Thailand for a week after my month in Laos, and decided to finish my travels with a fortnight in Japan after that. Home at the end of May!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭corny

I'm in Luang Prabang now, certainly seems lovely! Have spent the day avoiding the sun and reading books in various cafes. Decided to stay here for about a week - the Laotian new year is coming up in a few days, and this town supposedly does it best! Already, there are crowds on the streets throwing water at passing people / cars. Must buy a waterproof bag for the camera/phone/money :p I'm meeting a friend in Thailand for a week after my month in Laos, and decided to finish my travels with a fortnight in Japan after that. Home at the end of May!

Did you enjoy northern Vietnam?

Yup, I think Sapa was the highlight there for me, though Hanoi is a very nice city. I think all in all, I've enjoyed Vietnam most, and could see myself making the journey again some time to revisit it. Would love to buy a bike and drive north-south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Im so jealous. Ur inspiring me to just do it!

• Advertisement

Im so jealous. Ur inspiring me to just do it!
    Do it! I'm just sickened it took me 5 years in the office job to get around to it, could have saved enough in 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Do it! I'm just sickened it took me 5 years in the office job to get around to it, could have saved enough in 2!

You have been away for about 4 months....

How much have u spent so far?

I think I'm at around 5k now, including the flight home. I haven't been as strict with my budget as many people I've met out here though, could definitely be done cheaper. Heading to Japan in a couple of weeks so I'd expect that total to increase rapidly!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I think I'm at around 5k now, including the flight home. I haven't been as strict with my budget as many people I've met out here though, could definitely be done cheaper. Heading to Japan in a couple of weeks so I'd expect that total to increase rapidly!

You did better than me. I spent about your budget in half the time. I was living the high life in big apartments however.

How far in advanced did u get vaccines?

Mid October I got my first ones, think I had them all by late November. Except maybe hep b(?), which I had to source myself - single shot though, so can be taken as soon as you get it. Flew out 13th January.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I got mine from about Mid October and got the last rabies shot on the 5th January and flew out on the 12th. They generally recommend 4 - 6 weeks for most of them but it depends on the shot too. The Travel Medical Bureau are fantastic and really help you decide what you do and don't need. Check out their website.

Oh forgot to say, the spending included about 400-450 worth of tailoring in Hoi An, which is supposedly optional :p

Sso had u to get them 3mnts in advance? Iv it in my head to go there maybe July, I prob would wanna go injections asap

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Sso had u to get them 3mnts in advance? Iv it in my head to go there maybe July, I prob would wanna go injections asap

I'm heading to South Africa at the end of this month and I only got my last rabies vaccine (given in three parts) last Tuesday. Everything else I got about four weeks previous which makes it about a month and a half to two months before the departure date.

When I spoke to the GP in the travel clinic he said that ideally you'd have them all received a month before you go but it's still better late than never anyway. Well, once the last one is at least 2-3 weeks before you're departure date anyway you should be okay.

But yeah, ideally at least a month. It's only to allow yourself to build up a protection to it before you go, and also just in case you do suffer an adverse reaction to it (probably quite unusual though).

• Advertisement

They all last for between 2-10 years, so the sooner the better really. I didn't get the rabies shot though - it just gives you an extra day or two to get to a hospital in case of a bite, and I haven't been more than a couple of hours from civilization. Also haven't seen any rabid dogs or monkeys :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

They all last for between 2-10 years, so the sooner the better really. I didn't get the rabies shot though - it just gives you an extra day or two to get to a hospital in case of a bite, and I haven't been more than a couple of hours from civilization. Also haven't seen any rabid dogs or monkeys :p

Ah well, I'm going to be volunteering in a lion sanctuary so a rabies shot is a little more than just optional for me! :pac: :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Wilberto wrote: »
    Ah well, I'm going to be volunteering in a lion sanctuary so a rabies shot is a little more than just optional for me! :pac: :)

wow, are u gonna set up a thread and do updates on how ure getting on and stuff. It will be Interesting reading

wow, are u gonna set up a thread and do updates on how ure getting on and stuff. It will be Interesting reading

I want to do something like that anyway, even if it's just a blog etc. It'd be interesting to document my progress alright I think.

I want to do something like that anyway, even if it's just a blog etc. It'd be interesting to document my progress alright I think.

Id read that :)

Have never fully been able to work instragram for following this sort of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭monty_python

I'd definitely read it too

Just on my way to the airport in Tokyo for the trip home now, has been a great experience. Just realised it's a year to the day since starting this thread :pac:

South America will be the next trip I think! Gotta save a bit quicker this time.

Fair fukin play to u.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Just on my way to the airport in Tokyo for the trip home now, has been a great experience. Just realised it's a year to the day since starting this thread :pac:

South America will be the next trip I think! Gotta save a bit quicker this time.

Safe trip home! I am back in Kathmandu after a lovely week in Pokhara. I flew back as the bus trip there was horrendous. Heading to Malaysia tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Meant to ask....did you ever have much hassle ref licence in hiring the scooters

....ive lost mine out here and wont have 1 in time...would i be better to pick up a local learner licence here...just incase??

Advertisement