Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asia early 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

True....am just gonna have to "woman up" and go it alone. Just had looked forward to spending time with my sister but seems their romantic holiday is more important, and I get that, just thought I wouldn't be abandoned so soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

How time flies! Thailand stamp is up in a few days. I abandoned the south / islands all together this time, and plan to fly back from Laos to explore the south :) So far, just based on recommendations from people I've run into, I've been to: Chiang Mai, Pai, Mae Hong Son, Chiang Rai, Pattaya, Rayong and Koh Samed. I'm heading to Trat and Koh Chang in the next few days, and then Cambodia on the 12th! Actually - my stamp's last date is 11th Feb - do I need to be out on that date? Or is there a day's clemency to get out? :p

Oh yeah, I've spent maybe 800 euro so far, without paying any particular attention to what I was spending. I've been staying in a mix of hostels and hotels. I've eaten a lot of street food but a few restaurants too. Haven't had even the slightest bit of trouble yet - no sickness, roberry, scooter crashes, panic, etc. Anyone thinking of heading out, go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

TPD wrote: »
    How time flies! Thailand stamp is up in a few days. I abandoned the south / islands all together this time, and plan to fly back from Laos to explore the south :) So far, just based on recommendations from people I've run into, I've been to: Chiang Mai, Pai, Mae Hong Son, Chiang Rai, Pattaya, Rayong and Koh Samed. I'm heading to Trat and Koh Chang in the next few days, and then Cambodia on the 12th! Actually - my stamp's last date is 11th Feb - do I need to be out on that date? Or is there a day's clemency to get out? :p

Oh yeah, I've spent maybe 800 euro so far, without paying any particular attention to what I was spending. I've been staying in a mix of hostels and hotels. I've eaten a lot of street food but a few restaurants too. Haven't had even the slightest bit of trouble yet - no sickness, roberry, scooter crashes, panic, etc. Anyone thinking of heading out, go for it!

800 in just under a month is it?

My brother and I will be in Bangkok early March tjen off to australia. Then in april I'll be doing Singapore, Saigon, siem reap then back to Bangkok alone (thinking of flying straight to an island once in bkk) maybe we will cross paths!

Found it hard to buy vests here, do the shopping malls have sections? Even KSR? We would spend about €70 - €100 on a night out in Dublin, how much cheaper do you think it will be in Bangkok for us?

I haven't been doing much shopping, don't want to be carrying extra stuff around for months! Saw plenty of vests advertising local beers or full moon parties being sold at markets everywhere though. Unless its an underwear vest you're after, in which case... you know how hot it is here, right? :p

Taxis are a lot cheaper here, especially if they're using their meter. I got a 15 minute ride home for e1.20 or so. Food is very cheap. Dinner can be done easily and well for e2, and filling snacks are cheap and plentiful too. Beers in a bar are about 2 - 3 euro, so still a decent saving compared to Dublin.

I haven't been doing much shopping, don't want to be carrying extra stuff around for months! Saw plenty of vests advertising local beers or full moon parties being sold at markets everywhere though. Unless its an underwear vest you're after, in which case... you know how hot it is here, right? :p

Taxis are a lot cheaper here, especially if they're using their meter. I got a 15 minute ride home for e1.20 or so. Food is very cheap. Dinner can be done easily and well for e2, and filling snacks are cheap and plentiful too. Beers in a bar are about 2 - 3 euro, so still a decent saving compared to Dublin.

Just a few daytime vests for strolling around in. The ones you described will do.
    It's a pity that I can barely find any summer clothes in town to buy. We have a day in Dubai so at least I can get some nice clothes there.

Prices sound good. I'll be looling forward to trying some cheap local street food and some good restaurants too.

My brother mentioned that his mates who were there talked about buckets of weird beer on KSR that have more than just alcohol in them?? Apparently 1 of them will **** you up lol.

Are you going solo? As like I said, part of my trip will be solo. Are you finding it difficult to mix with people? I think I'll try some bar crawls when in solo.

• Advertisement

Agh, had a big reply typed but boards lost it. Buckets seemed to be a quarter bottle of spirits, bottle of coke, bottle of red bull equivalent, and ice. Haven't tried one! Apparently buying one at the full moon party may have additives so you can be robbed after passing out - might just be an online horror story though.

I'm an introvert and happy spending time alone, but I've had no trouble finding people to hang out with either. Tinder over here is used as much for making friends as for hooking up. Even without that, walking into a bar and drinking a while has left me sickened with human contact a couple of times.

Agh, had a big reply typed but boards lost it. Buckets seemed to be a quarter bottle of spirits, bottle of coke, bottle of red bull equivalent, and ice. Haven't tried one! Apparently buying one at the full moon party may have additives so you can be robbed after passing out - might just be an online horror story though.

I'm an introvert and happy spending time alone, but I've had no trouble finding people to hang out with either. Tinder over here is used as much for making friends as for hooking up. Even without that, walking into a bar and drinking a while has left me sickened with human contact a couple of times.

Ah not to worry!

I'll keepcan eye on your thread for your updates. 3 weeks and 2 days until I jet off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭monty_python

I've just spent 2 weeks in Myanmar and recommend it to everyone. It's super cheap and the local people are genuinely happy to see tourist coming to there country. Trains are a great way to travel and cheap to

Just in India now after 3 blissful weeks in Sri Lanka. Not sure am gonna enjoy India after experiencing India Lite.

Sri Lanka is expensive enough but worth it. The people are amazing, fantastic beaches and I could see myself living in Colombo. A cosmopolitan, modern city full of Asian charm. And so clean.

I want to go back.

Don't talk - was in a lovely wee 1 bed apartment in Mae Hong Son (picturesque mountain town, lovely temperatures), the girl who owned it was paying e93 a month rent. Cheap as hell and could definitely see myself relaxing a year or two there.

I'm for Koh Chang tomorrow for two nights (Google it, wont be disappointed) and then Trat for a night, before heading to Cambodia. Turns out the stamp of the 11th means I have to be out by midnight 11th - glad I checked, or I'd be paying a 15 quid fine. The horror!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

How far in advanced do ye plan things? Or do ye more from one place to another, see where the road takes ye?

So far I've had a rough plan about a week in advance, but only booking hostels / figuring out transport a couple of days before arriving in a new place. E.g. now I have the next two nights booked, and hopefully have the right idea regarding the bus to get there :p

How far in advanced do ye plan things? Or do ye more from one place to another, see where the road takes ye?
    So far I've had a rough plan about a week in advance, but only booking hostels / figuring out transport a couple of days before arriving in a new place. E.g. now I have the next two nights booked, and hopefully have the right idea regarding the bus to get there :p

Similarly, I have a rough idea of where I want to hit and am just taking notions. If I like somewhere I stay for a few days more, if I don't I move on to somewhere else.

Booking.com has been a godsend. I can book somewhere while on the train there or more often I book the evening before I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

You can normally negotiate a cheaper deal of you don't book. Just turn up and talk to people.

You can normally negotiate a cheaper deal of you don't book. Just turn up and talk to people.

When I was in Chiang Rai I saw a few people being turned away from my hostel as it was full, saw them wandering about with the big backpacks an hour or two later. For myself anyway the peace of mind is worth the potential saving. Particularly when accommodation is averaging e6 a night.

True but have had hassle doing that where we ended up paying more for a crap room coz the place we wanted to stay was full.

I am often arriving early in morning or late in evening too so it kinda takes the hassle out of it if you know where you are staying. If I stay in a town longer than 1 day I often go and look for a better place to stay there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

That's what I done when I moved....just said fcuk it and went for it

I usually got a rough clue/guide off brochures of tours etc and picked out what I wanted to do off them....and for anything else I'd ask Germans....as they usually have a good idea of a cheap/worthwhile doing aswell

(But I left enough in a spare second account so if I had to/wanted to....could/can go home at drop of a hat)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Witchie wrote: »
    Just in India now after 3 blissful weeks in Sri Lanka. Not sure am gonna enjoy India after experiencing India Lite.

Sri Lanka is expensive enough but worth it. The people are amazing, fantastic beaches and I could see myself living in Colombo. A cosmopolitan, modern city full of Asian charm. And so clean.

I want to go back.

That's mental, I found Sri Lanka unbelievably cheap and hated Colombo. Absolutely loved Sri Lanka and they are the nicest people in the world.

Unfortunately when I landed in India before xmas they were in the middle of a currency crisis and I lasted 4 days before I had to book a flight out. I literally had no access to cash and it is a huge cash economy. People were actually fantastic in India too! What's it like at the moment, things back to normal?

duffman13 wrote: »
    That's mental, I found Sri Lanka unbelievably cheap and hated Colombo. Absolutely loved Sri Lanka and they are the nicest people in the world.

Unfortunately when I landed in India before xmas they were in the middle of a currency crisis and I lasted 4 days before I had to book a flight out. I literally had no access to cash and it is a huge cash economy. People were actually fantastic in India too! What's it like at the moment, things back to normal?

Accommodation in Sri Lanka for a half decent place is about 25 euro a night but 15 in India. Similarly food and drink and tuk tuks were all dearer but still much cheaper than home.

What part of Colombo were you in? I stayed out of the city a bit and had stunning parks, architecture and the most beautiful shopping arcade (Independence Arcade ) to wander around.

Agree on the Sri Lankans in general. Always smiling and helpful.

Had some trouble finding atms that worked so when I did, I took a wodge out. It seems to be easing a little though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Tristrams Shandied

duffman13 wrote: »

You were unlucky.Things are now getting back pretty much to normal. It's business as usual...Indian style!! My bank manager got arrested during the crisis :D but has now been replaced by someone much more efficient so it was a blessing in disguise.

Loving your updates, Witchie.

• Advertisement

How much Thai do you need? I know some basic stuff. I can't imagine needing it on khaosan road much of at all. Just simple pkease, thank you, hello etc?

I got by with just hello, thank you, yes, no, where are the toilets, and can I pay the bill. If you're in a place with a Thai and English menu you should take a picture, so you can order something close to what you'll like in a place with no English.

I got by with just hello, thank you, yes, no, where are the toilets, and can I pay the bill. If you're in a place with a Thai and English menu you should take a picture, so you can order something close to what you'll like in a place with no English.

Good tip!

Just back from Rome and just about got by with no Italian but alot of the time it was hand gestures that got us understanding eachother. I'm usually in resorts in Spain or European countries that have good English so rome really got me thinking of learning mkre than my basic thai.

I'll obviously never learn the Thai alphabet but I think it's not hard at all learning with out alphabet.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Ticking and Bashing

I've been following this thread for awhile. Currently in SEA. Highlight so far has been Luang Prabang. Lovely little quiet town, beautiful temples and sunsets from 'pussy mountain' haha. The country side and the waterfalls were amazing. Least favourite place was..Siem Reap. The temples and countryside are nice but the town itself is heavy going...I was constantly harassed to buy stuff, get massages, or use a tut tut - like in my face all the time. Couldnt even sit outside without someone nagging me within 2 mins. Next stop Vietnam!

A quick update - I'm currently in Hoi An, halfway up the coast of Vietnam. Stopped here for a few days to have some tailoring done ( :D ). Final fitting tomorrow for a suit, two shirts, shoes, and a massive coat (styled after Withnail's). Should come to about e350 including postage home. Hope the bad weather at home keeps up until mid June so I can get use of the coat before winter :p

Two more nights here then I'm off to Danang for two, then train to Hue for two, and so on north to Hanoi, Halong and Sapa :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Wow fair play to you! Have you gone on your own?

Yup, and I'm loving it :D Was a little hesitant about travelling alone, but won't be ever again. Will probably be taking many more holidays alone once I'm back in the 9-5!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Ticking and Bashing

What's been the highlight of your trip so far? I didn't have the time to visit Sapa, anyone who's been was raving about it! I was in Hoi An last month - loved it!! Great place to chill for a few days! I bought a load of lanterns! Have you been to Banh Mi Phuong?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Yup, and I'm loving it :D Was a little hesitant about travelling alone, but won't be ever again. Will probably be taking many more holidays alone once I'm back in the 9-5!

On a more serious note....wouod 5 weeks be enough to enjoy vietnam without rushing it??

• Advertisement

Highlight of my trip so far... its tough to say. I've really enjoyed renting scooters, driving around the countryside, spotting temples in the distance and making my way over to them. That might be less exhilarating for people who've driven a scooter before though :p Had a couple of evenings with locals, out in he countryside in Thailand/Cambodia, which were fun and eye opening. Great evening on a private boat stocked with booze going through a floating village, stopping to buy crocodile meat and pet a snake. And then some brilliant days relaxing by the beach with a book and food/drink delivered as needed!

I haven't been to Bahn Mi Phuong, but I know where I'm going for breakfast :)
    Edit: leaving that til evening snack - was en route and passed a competitor, the Banh Mi Queen, so tried there first. Comparison due later :p
    Edit 2: just finished at Phuong, I think the queen had a slight advantage. Didn't wait til evening, so the tastes would have less time between them and be more easily compared. Science like.

I've got the 30 day visa, I don't feel like I'm rushing, and I'll be through about 10 different towns by the time I'm done, I think. Less places for more time each could easily be done.

Advertisement