Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asia early 2017

Options
  • 29-05-2016 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭

Hi! Hoping for some ideas for places to go next year.

I'm planning on packing in the job at Christmas, relaxing here for a few weeks and then heading off in January until the budget runs dry, before returning to look for a replacement job. I figure at 27 with 5 years experience in IT, I should be OK job hunt wise when I return. And if I don't go on a trip like this now before I'm 30, I probably never will!

I'll have 10-12k that I'd be happy to spend on the trip, and I'm happy enough doing things cheaply to get a little more out of it. I'm interested in photography, hiking, camping, historical sites, relaxing (plenty!). Not too bothered with nightclubbing.

I'd like to see Cambodia, Vietnam and India. No particular places leap to mind in any of those countries, more than happy to take advice on them!
    I'm not ruling out any other countries either, so recommend away. If, for example, a few weeks in New Zealand were on the cards, that would be great! Doesn't even have to be Asia, but I thought it would be good to get a bit of a culture shock - most of my travel has been Europe and America.

It'd be great if I could get advice on vaccinations, visas, and insurance too. Have only ever been on short trips to single destinations, so it's been quite straightforward in the past.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Thailand is a good kickoff point for South east Asia. Southern thailand is quite tourist and more like spain at this point IMO. Heading North from Bangkok towards Ayutthaya/Sukothai and then up to Chiang Mai/Rai - lots of historical stuff on that route.
    Chiang Mai is probably my favourite place in Asia, very nice chilled out vibe with plenty to see/do.

Vietnam is a truly stunning country. Get the train up the coast from Hanoi to Saigon (cant think of new name right now) for some wonderful views and mix with the locals. If you are going to do Halong bay, i would recommend a over night boat trip - I did two nights and it was just too long. One of my best nights on my travels was sitting on the canopy covered deck watching the lightning on Halong bay- just mesmerizing!

Vaccinations/visa wise - that would all depend on where you are planning to travel to. I know the injections for thailand differ from the injections needed for say China or Burma.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Have the summer trips out of the way and getting serious about this now!

Rough plan at the moment is to spend three or four weeks each in Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, and Myanmar. Depending on how hot it gets there (about 35c is my limit for extended periods) maybe further north then into China.

Attached a very rough plan, starting in Hanoi - but that could change depending on flights etc.

I'm hoping to travel relatively light - have a 60l backpack on its way. Planning to pick up a small day bag to stuff inside the bigger pack.

Looking at the plan a little more, it might make more sense to fly into Bangkok, check out southern Thailand, then do a loop of Cambodia, on to Ho Chi Minh and up the coast to Hanoi, loop of the north of Laos, back into Thailand for the northern half, then on to Myanmar. Temperature is definitely a prime consideration! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Vietnam is pretty simple to get around just need to decide whether you wanna go by train (sleeper trains are comfy and cheap) or drive. I know a few people who did scooter tour from North to south and said it was amazing. Trains are more comfortable though. Sapa and Halong Bay are good for photography so include those on your itenary.

Cambodia especially Siem Reap is amazing with tonnes of fantastic temples. Looking at your map that land crossing into Laos is awful, over 30 hours by bus. Siem Reap to Bangkok is 20 euro one way and you can usually get a cheap flight into Myanmar from Bangkok or Chiang Mai, Laos was a bit of pain to get too tho, the route I did when I went was fly to Udon Thani in Thailand (30 euro) and cross the friendship bridge into Laos (Vientiane)

Your budget is very healthy if your staying in hostels, if you have time/money id look at the Phillipines too, incredible but a bit more expensive in parts that south east Asia. I'm heading to NZ this weekend and India in about two months so I'll report back then but nz is expensive especially if you plan to do activities(white water rafting, bungee etc). India seems cheaper than SE Asia

Edit: Get a revolut card, it'd saved me a bomb on my travels and gives you more flexibility with your money especially in places like Cambodia where US dollars is the main currency

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Having just returned from own backpacking trip to Asia, I'd have to agree with everyone's comments her so far - good advice. I'd also add Pai to the Chiang Mai suggestion. You can easily hire out a scooter and drive a beautifully scenic route from Chiang Mai to Pai in a couple of hours. Pai is a very chilled out place, full of backpackers too.

I'd highly recommend staying for a couple of days in Siem Reap, the temples of Angkor can take 3 days in themselves. Phnom Penh didn't do much for me, nor for most other backpackers I met there, but the experience of visiting the Killing Fields is surreal and a must-see. We also visited Kampot, which was cool, not a huge amount to do there but it has a more authentic Cambodian feel to it. Koh Rong Samloen has some beautiful scenery as well and is easily accessible from Sihanoukville (which itself is maybe a 4 hour bus from Phnom Penh).

Your mapped out trip is, in my opinion, and excellent way to go about doing things. I would warn you in advance of the night buses, they can be very uncomfortable and claustrophobic. I would recommend flying long distance journeys as much as you can. I brought a 45L bag and got on flights with just carry-on no bother, so you should probably be OK winging it without checked luggage (just keep your bag behind your back).

Hong Kong is usually a relatively cheap flight away, so I would HIGHLY recommend giving it a visit if you can. I was lucky enough to do my semester abroad there, and it is a stunning city. From there you can move onto the Philippines, which is equally gorgeous. We visited Cebu, a beautiful, safe island, and also a direct flight from Hong Kong. I would advise staying away from Manila, because despite Duerte's recent crackdown on law-breakers, it's still a fairly dangerous city.

Japan, if you can fit it in/afford it, is just awesome. So keep it in mind! Probably the most culturally extreme place I've ever been.

I should also add you're going at a great time of year. I went this summer which is rainy season, but the temperatures and clear skies you should get will be gorgeous. God, I am so jealous right now..... :D

Have a great trip!

Thanks for the tips folks. Slightly revised rough plan attached..

Arrive in Bangkok, spend a while there / around the city
    Make my way down towards Phuket
    Fly from there to Cambodia and do a loop, spending a while at Siem Raep
    Cross to Vietnam and see Ho Chi Minh, then travel up the coast to Hanoi, visiting Sapa and Halong Bay
    From there, cross into Laos and avoid the 30hr bus (thanks Duffman!)
    After Laos, back into northern Thailand, checking out Pai and Chiang Mai, and whatever else catches my interest.

I think once I've made it that far, I'll see what the money situation is like. I've a friend who may be working in Malaysia at the time, so it would be nice to drop in there if so. Also, I would love to visit Japan, so if I've a few grand left I might pop over on the way home. If flights are cheap at the time, could pop over to Hong Kong too.

My backpack and filtered water bottle have arrived. I've sent emails to a couple of local GPs enquiring about vaccinations etc. I've got a revolut card, so will make sure it's in working order and well topped up before setting out.

I had a quick look at the visa application process, one of the countries seemed to want visa applications within 90 days of arrival, so it doesn't seem like there's too much of a rush on those.

Final things to get are a half decent pocketable camera, a cheap tablet to back up my photos with, and a basic text+call phone with a good battery.

Thanks for all the advice!

• Advertisement

If you're going to Phuket, I really recommend getting the ferry to Koh Phi Phi from there. Patong (where most people go when in Phuket), while great fun, is verrrry sleazy. Phi Phi is basically a small party island, with no vehicles (you walk everywhere), and a beautiful viewpoint! You can also access the famous Maya Bay beach (from the movie: The Beach) from Phi Phi. I personally loved Phi Phi, but do bear in mind that its main attraction are the all night long beach parties, so you have to have that partying spirit :D

I should also say I recently discovered this really cool, new attraction in Bangkok that isn't well documented in travel books. It's called the "Ghost Tower", Sathorn Unique Building. Something worth checking out of sure! Views look amazing.

With regards a camera, the smaller the better in my opinion. I brought my DSLR which is a bit of a pain bringing around, especially in the heat. My friend had a GoPro however, which was amazing. Takes great photos, and we made a montage video at the end of the trip which is really cool!

Oh and one last point on Thailand, while it may be a bit overhyped, the Full Moon Party is pretty epic. 20,000 people or thereabouts partying on the one beach is a sight to behold. The jungle party on the night before is awesome as well. Something worth considering! It's on an island called Koh Phangnan, and the island beside it Koh Tao is a world-famous divers hotspot. It's also the cheapest place in the world to get a recognised diving certification as well I believe.

All the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I'm considering doing something similar so I'm really interested in how it goes for you.

I'm spending a week in Thailand and 3 weeks in australia in march so please report back on what to do outside of bangkok :)

Have given my landlord notice, and told everyone at work. No backing out now! :D

I went for my first round of vaccinations today too. I got typhoid, diptheria/tetanus/polio, and the first dose of hepatitis B today. I've to source the hep A vaccine myself as there's a shortage.

I've a prescription for Malarone malaria tablets, but they're working out at a few hundred euro for the trips' worth (very quick price check). I've seen it recommended to pick up Doxycycline in Bangkok airport when I land, as they're a few cents a pill. I'll do a bit more investigating into that.

Must get a flight booked now!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭strawdog

I was in S.America for few weeks last Summer and was given a new generic version of Malarone that from memory was about half the price of that rip off brand. According to my doctor and pharmacist its just as effective. Doxy can have some side effects I remember from my research at the time. I'd also recommend getting one of those booklets to keep track of your vaccinatinons as you might save on future trips (if not using the same provider)

Congrats OP, you won't regret it. well jeal, not in a position to do the same currently and a bit older in my 30's but still hoping my time will come again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

I was in Thailand in Feb/March for 5weeks. I'll stick up some details tomorrow which might be useful to you.

• Advertisement

Just a note before I start, I'm sure you're aware that the king of Thailand has recently passed away. As he was much-loved by the people there has been declared a year of national mourning. This may affect some things, e.g. full moon parties, in some areas

This was the route I took earlier on this year. Flew in to Bangkok. I stayed there for six days but in hindsight this was much too long. Three days or even two is probably plenty in the city imo. Plenty of websites will give you an idea of things to do. I'd recommend seeing some Muay Thai fighting in Lumpini stadium as once you get to the touristy areas the matches are more staged but it's reputedly the real thing in Lumpini. Khaosan Road is a good spot but it's pretty small and even after one day and night you'll probably have seen all it has to offer.
    From Bangkok I took the overnight train to Krabi. Krabi is a big enough town but there's not too much touristy stuff to do there. One thing I would highly recommend is taking a day to go to the Tiger Cave temple and climbing up the mountain to see the big goden Buddha at the top. It's 1200 steps to the top and very steep! Worth it though for the views and the sense of achievement.
    If you're going to this area I'd go to Ao Nang which is another biggish town right by the sea. It is a bit too touristy but is a good place to base yourself as there are lots of things to do in that area. If you end up in Ao Nang stay in the Fundee House hostel. Very friendly owners and staff and probably the best hostel I stayed in.
    After there I headed to Koh Lanta as a friend of mine owns a restaurant there. Nice place but a couple of days there is plenty.
    After that I flew up north to Chiang Mai and got a bus straight to Pai as I was running out of time. The north is a complete contrast to the beaches and islands and I loved it there. I hired a scooter and drove 900km in 5 days. If you're into photograpy it's heaven so might be an option for you. Plenty to see so just get a bike and pick a road. Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai are supposed to be lovely too but I didn't get a chance to get there. I'm heading to Burma on Monday so maybe I'll stop off on my way to Vietnam and if so I'll post here and let you know what they're like.
    As regards visas, for Thailand they stamp your visa when you arrive at the airport so no need to apply in advance. If you're going to Burma you'll need to apply in advance. e-visa.moip.gov.mm is the official govt website. I applied and got mine the next day, it costs $50. Not sure about Vietnam, Cambodia etc. but I can let you know when I find out if you want.
    I got the vaccinations you mentioned back in March so I'm not going to bother this time. I've met a good few people who don't bother with any at all but for peace of mind they're worth it. As regards the malaria tablets, I got some but completely forgot I had them so ended up not taking anything and I was fine. I've met a lot of people who never get vaccs, take malaria tablets etc. and they tell me they've never had a problem. Drug company scaremongering perhaps? (it's getting hot under this tinfoil hat!) However if you feel more comfortable then by all means get them. I can't recommend any cheap ones unfortunately so not much use to you there I'm afraid.
    I've also given up getting travel insurance when I go anywhere. Not for everyone I know but each to their own. All the insurance companies do travel insurance and the range of covers offered is huge. Google is your friend here.
    Your backpack size is just about right. Bring as little as possible with you would be my advice. Last time my bag weighed 1.5 kilos! You'll appreciate it when you're tramping around in temperatures in the mid 30's. If you need anything then buy it over there where it's nice and cheap. Also the tops that you buy there are made of more suitable material for the climate and are usually much more comfortable in my experience.
    I've found that mosquito repellent doesn't really work but I've attached a picture of an excellent cream that really takes the itch out of the bites after you've been bitten. It's like Deep Heat as it heats up the area it's applied to. Do not rub your eyes after you've applied it. It's available in any chemist.
    I think you're doing the right thing going somewhere with a totally different culture. It's nice being somewhere where there's no doubt you're the foreigner. People are so friendly in this part of the world. I envy you your budget, mine is about a third of yours but I hope to get a few months out of it. Keep an eye on what you're spending as it can be easy when you first arrive to go mad and spend loads. That's what I usually do but this time it'll be different (I hope).
    I can't think of anything else at the moment that might be useful. If you have any questions then ask away and I'll answer them if I can.
    As I said I'm flying to Burma on Monday and I hope to be somewhere around SE Asis for a few months. Maybe we'll cross paths somewhere along the way. You'll have a great trip anyway, it's almost guaranteed. Things won't always go according to plan but don't panic when they don't. Just put it behind you and move on, there's always something brilliant around the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Brill advice and tips _^^^ hoping to go there next year or the v near furture

Brill advice and tips _^^^ hoping to go there next year or the v near furture

Do it, as soon as you can would be my advice. You don't need a whole lot of money to go on a trip. It really helps you as a person. You'll discover your inner strength that maybe you thought you didn't have. Overcoming any obstacles you come across really makes you feel good about yourself and helps you grow as a person. You'll return a happier, more confident person than when you left. If you feel like you're in a rut at home it could be just the thing for you. If you need any advice or anything then feel free to PM me. I'm going travelling myself on Mon but I'll get back to you when I can if you send any PM's.
    Good luck ☺

Just a note before I start, I'm sure you're aware that the king of Thailand has recently passed away. As he was much-loved by the people there has been declared a year of national mourning. This may affect some things, e.g. full moon parties, in some areas

This was the route I took earlier on this year. Flew in to Bangkok. I stayed there for six days but in hindsight this was much too long. Three days or even two is probably plenty in the city imo. Plenty of websites will give you an idea of things to do. I'd recommend seeing some Muay Thai fighting in Lumpini stadium as once you get to the touristy areas the matches are more staged but it's reputedly the real thing in Lumpini. Khaosan Road is a good spot but it's pretty small and even after one day and night you'll probably have seen all it has to offer.
    From Bangkok I took the overnight train to Krabi. Krabi is a big enough town but there's not too much touristy stuff to do there. One thing I would highly recommend is taking a day to go to the Tiger Cave temple and climbing up the mountain to see the big goden Buddha at the top. It's 1200 steps to the top and very steep! Worth it though for the views and the sense of achievement.
    If you're going to this area I'd go to Ao Nang which is another biggish town right by the sea. It is a bit too touristy but is a good place to base yourself as there are lots of things to do in that area. If you end up in Ao Nang stay in the Fundee House hostel. Very friendly owners and staff and probably the best hostel I stayed in.
    After there I headed to Koh Lanta as a friend of mine owns a restaurant there. Nice place but a couple of days there is plenty.
    After that I flew up north to Chiang Mai and got a bus straight to Pai as I was running out of time. The north is a complete contrast to the beaches and islands and I loved it there. I hired a scooter and drove 900km in 5 days. If you're into photograpy it's heaven so might be an option for you. Plenty to see so just get a bike and pick a road. Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai are supposed to be lovely too but I didn't get a chance to get there. I'm heading to Burma on Monday so maybe I'll stop off on my way to Vietnam and if so I'll post here and let you know what they're like.
    As regards visas, for Thailand they stamp your visa when you arrive at the airport so no need to apply in advance. If you're going to Burma you'll need to apply in advance. e-visa.moip.gov.mm is the official govt website. I applied and got mine the next day, it costs $50. Not sure about Vietnam, Cambodia etc. but I can let you know when I find out if you want.
    I got the vaccinations you mentioned back in March so I'm not going to bother this time. I've met a good few people who don't bother with any at all but for peace of mind they're worth it. As regards the malaria tablets, I got some but completely forgot I had them so ended up not taking anything and I was fine. I've met a lot of people who never get vaccs, take malaria tablets etc. and they tell me they've never had a problem. Drug company scaremongering perhaps? (it's getting hot under this tinfoil hat!) However if you feel more comfortable then by all means get them. I can't recommend any cheap ones unfortunately so not much use to you there I'm afraid.
    I've also given up getting travel insurance when I go anywhere. Not for everyone I know but each to their own. All the insurance companies do travel insurance and the range of covers offered is huge. Google is your friend here.
    Your backpack size is just about right. Bring as little as possible with you would be my advice. Last time my bag weighed 1.5 kilos! You'll appreciate it when you're tramping around in temperatures in the mid 30's. If you need anything then buy it over there where it's nice and cheap. Also the tops that you buy there are made of more suitable material for the climate and are usually much more comfortable in my experience.
    I've found that mosquito repellent doesn't really work but I've attached a picture of an excellent cream that really takes the itch out of the bites after you've been bitten. It's like Deep Heat as it heats up the area it's applied to. Do not rub your eyes after you've applied it. It's available in any chemist.
    I think you're doing the right thing going somewhere with a totally different culture. It's nice being somewhere where there's no doubt you're the foreigner. People are so friendly in this part of the world. I envy you your budget, mine is about a third of yours but I hope to get a few months out of it. Keep an eye on what you're spending as it can be easy when you first arrive to go mad and spend loads. That's what I usually do but this time it'll be different (I hope).
    I can't think of anything else at the moment that might be useful. If you have any questions then ask away and I'll answer them if I can.
    As I said I'm flying to Burma on Monday and I hope to be somewhere around SE Asis for a few months. Maybe we'll cross paths somewhere along the way. You'll have a great trip anyway, it's almost guaranteed. Things won't always go according to plan but don't panic when they don't. Just put it behind you and move on, there's always something brilliant around the corner.

All excellent advice. I should add that a high deet mosquito repellent worked for me. I used 50% deet while my friend had 100% deet and we were generally fine! A lot of it depends on what type of blood you have, which of course you have no control over.

Enjoy the trip! Currently planning my trip back to Vietnam this time next year... once you get the itch you'll just have to go back again

Cheers for the advice! Clothes-wise I'm bringing a couple of pairs of linen trousers, a pair of shorts, and a few long sleeved linen tops. I've found that bearable in 30+ degree weather in the past. One pair of canvas boots and one pair of open sandals. I'd like to avoid any urgency in buying things when I first arrive, but will happily replace the above when its had a few too many washes.

Monkeybonkers, did you have any experience with a motorbike before hiring one? Any issues with the local police in Thailand? I'd read that in Cambodia, tourists aren't really allowed motorbikes, and it's a bribe-as-you-go type system.

The 1200 steps to the golden Buddha is on the list now too :D

I have had a motorcycle for years at home so was experienced before I got there. Most people (including me) hire the twist-and -go scooters as they are easier to ride. A lot of people who have never ridden before hire scooters and are fine but I've also seen accidents ranging from fairly minor to serious. ALWAYS wear a helmet on bikes as this is the most vulnerable part of your body. If you've never been on a bike before then go slowly for as long as it takes for you to feel totally comfortable. Use the back brake for almost all your braking as in my experience the front brake can lock the front wheel too easily on these scooters.
    I never had any issues with the police in Thailand, don't be an idiot and have respect for other road users and you should be fine. One note of caution, Thai drivers love to cut corners so keep well in to the side of the road going around bends. Just keep your wits about you, be careful and you'll be OK. You're going somewhere where time isn't that important so there's no rush.
    I haven't been to Cambodia yet so can't comment on the situation there.

Another thing I'd advise getting is a Revolut card. It gets you the best local exchange rate in whatever country you're in which is handy when you're going to a few different countries. It's essentially a MasterCard Debit card. Google it to see the details.

Flights booked and I've a room in Soi Rambuttri in Bangkok for 4 nights. I figure if I get sick of the city within that time I can spend a day planning the following weeks, no major loss. I've my vaccinations all got now, bar Hep A which I've managed to track down, just need to get it injected into me. I've yet to order malaria tablets but don't think I need to rush on that front. Can't wait :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

How long are you expecting to get away for OP?

Hoping to do something similar myself in January. Just wondering how long a person would be able travel for in Asia with €10k budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

djPSB wrote: »
    How long are you expecting to get away for OP?

Hoping to do something similar myself in January. Just wondering how long a person would be able travel for in Asia with €10k budget.

You should manage 4-6 months depending on accommodation/alcohol consumption, approximately 60 euro a day is a safe and in my view conservative guide to go by.

• Advertisement

Getting on the plane a week tomorrow :D Travel insurance is the only thing I've left to organise. A bit hectic at the moment though, moving out of the rented place. Thanks for all the tips! I'll be PM'ing regards Cambodia closer to the time.

I'm planning to stay for 4 months, I'm happy slumming it / volunteering to stretch that out, and I'll hopefully have a good bit of change from 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I'm heading off tomorrow week too! I have my last rabies shot to get on Friday and then am set. Where are you going first?

We start in Sri Lanka. Can't wait!!!!

Witchie wrote: »
    I'm heading off tomorrow week too! I have my last rabies shot to get on Friday and then am set. Where are you going first?

We start in Sri Lanka. Can't wait!!!!

Thailand first, easy after that. 5pm-ish flight from Dublin? Might see you there :D I skipped the rabies shot. Just going to fight the urge to pet every dog and monkey I see!

TPD wrote: »
    Thailand first, easy after that. 5pm-ish flight from Dublin? Might see you there :D I skipped the rabies shot. Just going to fight the urge to pet every dog and monkey I see!

I am on a 5ish flight to Heathrow from Dublin! Let's have a pint! :D

Witchie wrote: »
    I am on a 5ish flight to Heathrow from Dublin! Let's have a pint! :D

BA827? You're on :D

BA827? You're on :D

Aye the very one! :D Be funny if we end up sitting beside each other on the plane.

In a bar on KSR now :) Touch and go at the airport in Dublin and London with the snow though. Changed my mind regarding heading to Krabi next after Bangkok. Going to head to Chiang Mai for 4 days or so after Bangkok, and on to Pai for a few days after that, and then fly south afterwards. I figured with the recent flooding etc in the south, I'd be better off letting them normalize a bit before visiting! I was looking at hostels in Chiang Mai and saw a Fundee hostel well reviewed - maybe the same crowd as the one in Krabi? Will book today/tomorrow anyway. Feet are half dead already, after a day and a half.

Thanks again for all the tips!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭monty_python

In a bar on KSR now :) Touch and go at the airport in Dublin and London with the snow though. Changed my mind regarding heading to Krabi next after Bangkok. Going to head to Chiang Mai for 4 days or so after Bangkok, and on to Pai for a few days after that, and then fly south afterwards. I figured with the recent flooding etc in the south, I'd be better off letting them normalize a bit before visiting! I was looking at hostels in Chiang Mai and saw a Fundee hostel well reviewed - maybe the same crowd as the one in Krabi? Will book today/tomorrow anyway. Feet are half dead already, after a day and a half.

Thanks again for all the tips!

I'm flying out today!!!!!!

I have just arrived in Kandy, Sri Lanka, after a few glorious days by the beach. Just been informed by my sister that her boyfriend is grumpy coz he thought I was going to go off on my own and leave them. I was happy to stay in Negombo for another few days but they suggested I come to Kandy and now want to be alone! Aggghhh!

So if there are any boardsies in Sri Lanka who want to hang out for a bit, am gonna be on my own from now on in. I may just do the whole trip on my own and not bother meeting up with my now ex-travelling companions.

Sri Lanka is lovely though and the people are so helpful so at least that is good.

• Advertisement

That's what you get for travelling with other people in the first place :p

Advertisement