Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bin Charges - Ray Whelan

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

The chip is at the front of the bin under the lip it's a small round thing. They were all done when the bins were left out. I stopped my bins last year and just go out to the dump every 6 weeks or so it only cost 20 euro. That's for recycling aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

iano.p wrote: »
    The chip is at the front of the bin under the lip it's a small round thing. They were all done when the bins were left out. I stopped my bins last year and just go out to the dump every 6 weeks or so it only cost 20 euro. That's for recycling aswell.

How much per kg is it at the dump?

BattleCorp wrote:
    How much per kg is it at the dump?

80kg is 15euro and 2 euro for the recycling. It works for me doing it like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

80kg is 15euro and 2 euro for the recycling. It works for me doing it like this.
    That will also be changing to a pay by weight system with a price per kg instead of 80kg for €15 so expect a rise in what you are paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Is that the powerstown dump. How does that work. Do you just drive onto scales on way in and out and go from there. If so how do they factor in the recycling as it is already in the car.

• Advertisement

hadepsx wrote:
    Is that the powerstown dump. How does that work. Do you just drive onto scales on way in and out and go from there. If so how do they factor in the recycling as it is already in the car.

Yeah that's powerstown just drive on the scales and they tell you when you drive back on the scales when your done. It's worked out alot cheaper for us doing it like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

hadepsx wrote: »

The recycling goes to a different area. So you can recycle first or after and wont affect the cost at scales.

racso1975 wrote:
    The recycling goes to a different area. So you can recycle first or after and wont affect the cost at scales.

It won't make a difference to the scales it's only done on the difference of weight from when you go in and when you are leaving. There has been a few times the lady let me into recycling area for free after having a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Thanks for info. Some good food for thought there.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

foggy_lad wrote: »

Either way there is no checking of the scales used on bin lorries! the legal metrology service of Ireland do not afaik check any bin lorries!

I work with weighing equipment and NSAI are looking after it. A guy who works with me used to service the scales on bin trucks that are already using pay by weight around the country.

https://www.nsai.ie/Pay-By-Weight-bin-charges-system.aspx

• Advertisement

The LMS are the group responsible afaik and they are only a few people in an office a a few more who go out checking petrol pumps, scales, weight bridges etc people who "service" such equipment may calibrate it but must have the equipment checked for accuracy by the LMS after it is serviced or adjusted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Checked my account earlier and my last 3 refuse collections were less than10kg each so roughly €3 per lift. Recycling was also much lower.

Was watching what could and couldn't go into the recycling and there is a lot of packaging that is not recyclable.

Instead of throwing bottles into refuse I make more of an effort to get to bottle banks and AES told me again they can't sit me with a brown bin so I throw food waste out for the birdies. A lot of none recyclable plastics go into the fire.

If I switch to pbw and can keep these weights I ll just about pay the same maybe a few cent less

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Owryan wrote: »
    Checked my account earlier and my last 3 refuse collections were less than10kg each so roughly €3 per lift. Recycling was also much lower.

Was watching what could and couldn't go into the recycling and there is a lot of packaging that is not recyclable.

Instead of throwing bottles into refuse I make more of an effort to get to bottle banks and AES told me again they can't sit me with a brown bin so I throw food waste out for the birdies. A lot of none recyclable plastics go into the fire.

If I switch to pbw and can keep these weights I ll just about pay the same maybe a few cent less

I didn't realise you could check your lifts with Ray Whelan, must check it out!

denis160 wrote: »
    I didn't realise you could check your lifts with Ray Whelan, must check it out!

I'm with AES

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Ah FFS, just registered an account with Ray Whelan and spent an age trying to find out where to see lift weights! Doh!

..Brian.. wrote: »
    Ah FFS, just registered an account with Ray Whelan and spent an age trying to find out where to see lift weights! Doh!

I would think that ray Whelan will have to do this. If his bins are already chipped & he was gonna start charging people per lift surely he had the software in place to make the information available. I must get on to them & see

denis160 wrote: »
    I would think that ray Whelan will have to do this. If his bins are already chipped & he was gonna start charging people per lift surely he had the software in place to make the information available. I must get on to them & see
    That's a lot of if's!

More of a big if :D:D:D

Worth getting on to them though, probably do their usual excellent customer service & ignore :rolleyes:

I rang & was told that if, (big if), your bin has a chip & you have an online account it will show what weight your bins were. & if it doesn't , well we should have a chip by the time the year is up!!!! And there'll be no refunds for the money took out of the accounts last month, it'll go towards Julys payment & the balance of Augusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,887 ✭✭✭patrickc

our glass hasn't been lifted on the 1st Wednesday of the month in ages, i asked them about it and they said oh we think that's stopped just go to the bottle bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Given that ray Whelan has reverted to their previous flat charges , what happens now. Are they still weighting the bins ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

BoatMad wrote: »
    Given that ray Whelan has reverted to their previous flat charges , what happens now. Are they still weighting the bins ?

They have only reverted to the previous flat charge until the end of the year. Then I think they are bringing in the pay by weight thing. I assume that they are still weighing the bins seeing as they have the trucks set up to do so.

They mightn't make that information available to us though.

I switched to AES purely because Ray Whelans customer service was so inept and looking for information re my account was like asking for their first born.

Since the switch to pbw was postponed AES have 2 options, a flat rate till 07/17 or pbw. You can switch to pbw if it works out cheaper. At least they allow you to see how much your bins weigh everytime they are collected, even the time they were collected.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    They have only reverted to the previous flat charge until the end of the year. Then I think they are bringing in the pay by weight thing. I assume that they are still weighing the bins seeing as they have the trucks set up to do so.

I cannot see PBW being brought in at the current published rates. The Gov will have another water charges debacle on its hands.

I expect PBW to quietly be dropped

Ps I find Lilly and those in Ray Whejan to be very proactive certainly way better then greenstar

BattleCorp wrote: »

The info is available IF you have a chip fitted to the bin. Rang the other day & was told this. You have to set up an account on their website 1st though.

Anyone know what pbw rates Whelan's are using now , or for 2018. My flat rate contract is up in March 2018

Advertisement