Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bin Charges - Ray Whelan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Darwin

AES actually have two price plans according to their website - standard and basic. The standard rate is €180 service charge per annum + 0.25c per kilo, while basic is €120 service charge + 0.33c per kilo. They don't offer organic waste collection in my area. By my rusty Maths and just going on general waste alone, both plans cost the same @ 750 Kilos per annum and you need to be over this to make the standard rate worthwhile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Darwin wrote: »
    AES actually have two price plans according to their website - standard and basic. The standard rate is €180 service charge per annum + 0.25c per kilo, while basic is €120 service charge + 0.33c per kilo. They don't offer organic waste collection in my area. By my rusty Maths and just going on general waste alone, both plans cost the same @ 750 Kilos per annum and you need to be over this to make the standard rate worthwhile.
    afaik those are their old charges, Also AES had different charges depending on where you lived with Kildare being very cheap and Carlow being one of the most expensive areas so they may continue this discrimination based on location?
    Thank you for contacting us I can advise you Pay by Weight is a new government legislation being introduced from the 1st of July 2016. This is a new service all waste companies have to bring in and all bins will be weighed and charged per Kg of the bin.
    I can advise you the charges for Pay by Weight is as follows, The service charge is €90 for six months or €15 per month.

· Waste bin = 25 cent per KG
    · Recycling bin = 0 cent per KG
    · Organic bin = 15 cent per KG
    · Glass Bin = 0 cent per KG
    If you have any questions or queries please let us know.

Kind Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

Not just Carlow obviously clicky

Looks like every waste company is lining up to shaft people.

Anyone fancy getting together/joining a petition or contacting TDs for Carlow area?

Not just Carlow obviously clicky

Looks like every waste company is lining up to shaft people.

Anyone fancy getting together/joining a petition or contacting TDs for Carlow area?
    and every minister except the one responsible is talking about it telling us that companies won't be allowed to do this etc, sorry but i have ZERO confidence in this government!

Edna Kenny was talking yesterday as if all the companies were only going to be charging 11cent/kg with a small maybe €1/week service charge, he is completely oblivious to the reality of this and other situations as are his ministers and TDs.

Meeting the companies next Wednesday is far too late but it probably coincides with something else that they want to hide from so this will be a nice distraction. This needs to be put on hold until it is implemented properly without any Green party or Labour party input or influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Dail will soon be on there summer holidays and this will be put on the back burner hoping people will for get about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Is RW going to offer an extra recycle bin or have it collected more than twice a month. We're a family of 6 & our recycle bin is full within 1 week of emptying.

denis160 wrote: »
    Is RW going to offer an extra recycle bin or have it collected more than twice a month. We're a family of 6 & our recycle bin is full within 1 week of emptying.

You can get an extra bin but the monthly charge goes up by €2

Just had my recycling bin emptied by Whelan's and I'm sure they don't have any weighting equipment on their lorry! how are they going to introduce pay by weight without weighting the bins?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,968 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Just had my recycling bin emptied by Whelan's and I'm sure they don't have any weighting equipment on their lorry! how are they going to introduce pay by weight without weighting the bins?

I assume the scale is in the lifting arm. The bin is weighed once the wheels leave the ground and then again before put back down.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I assume the scale is in the lifting arm. The bin is weighed once the wheels leave the ground and then again before put back down.
    The backs of those lorrys are filthy, how do we know that any scales on them are accurate? We have not been told of any calibration by the Legal Metrology Service, the companies should have copies of up to date calibration certs on their websites and available in the lorrys for customers to view.

Otherwise it is the same type of scam that Irish Water tried to pull with many people not having meters but still having to pay a set rate and others told they have meters when they dont.

I think many of these companies will be using shoddy equipment and weights will not be accurate as we are not getting any proof of the weights.

• Advertisement

The backs of those lorrys are filthy, how do we know that any scales on them are accurate? We have not been told of any calibration by the Legal Metrology Service, the companies should have copies of up to date calibration certs on their websites and available in the lorrys for customers to view.

Otherwise it is the same type of scam that Irish Water tried to pull with many people not having meters but still having to pay a set rate and others told they have meters when they dont.

I think many of these companies will be using shoddy equipment and weights will not be accurate as we are not getting any proof of the weights.

Oh dont get me wrong I'm not saying there are scales there I'm just assuming that's where they are located.

A person I work with rang AES and they were able to tell her how much her waste weighed over the last 12 months.

I wonder would RW be able to give us the same information?

I think I'll swich to AES anyway because RW won't give me a Brown Bin and we would have a decent bit of food waste every month and the General Waste is 10c per kg more expensive than Compost so that will add up over the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Oh dont get me wrong I'm not saying there are scales there I'm just assuming that's where they are located.

A person I work with rang AES and they were able to tell her how much her waste weighed over the last 12 months.

I wonder would RW be able to give us the same information?

I think I'll swich to AES anyway because RW won't give me a Brown Bin and we would have a decent bit of food waste every month and the General Waste is 10c per kg more expensive than Compost so that will add up over the year.

AFAIK AES dont supply brown bins in Carlow, i dont have one at least

Owryan wrote: »
    AFAIK AES dont supply brown bins in Carlow, i dont have one at least

I'm in Wexford.

If there are going to be different rates then they should supply the Brown Bin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

AES do supply brown bins to Carlow town I and all neighbours who are AES them have them.

AES do supply brown bins to Carlow town I and all neighbours who are AES them have them.
    If they supplied glass bins I'd probably sign up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I have to agree on the weighing system RW plan to use, the customers should be fully informed on how it will work and furthermore you should have the ability to login and see the weight of each lift. I mean, this will only assist us to try keep reducing and recycling.

I can see an Aldi Special Buy coming up - ‘Wheelie Bin Weighing Scales’

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

So this new deal reached in relation to the role out of this farce is apparently for members of IWMA (Irish waste management association) according to their members list Ray Whelan is not a member. Aes is as is oxigen and thorntons.

It might be worth ringing them to see what their position on this deal will be. Before anyone asks I am not a RW customer nor AES nor will I be becoming a customer of either

I have to agree on the weighing system RW plan to use, the customers should be fully informed on how it will work and furthermore you should have the ability to login and see the weight of each lift. I mean, this will only assist us to try keep reducing and recycling.

What system are they planning on using? Same as every other bin company in Ireland, standing charge & pay per lift per kg ?

Btwa, anyone that is a RW customer has their bin been chipped or new chipped bins given?

Btwa, anyone that is a RW customer has their bin been chipped or new chipped bins given?
    My bins are there at least 10 years and have no chips or other barcodes or other readable identification that the back of a dirty bin lorry could read. I assume there will be some kind of plug that they can stick into the lid hinge that will hold the chip and that the strange triangular protrusions at the back of the lorry are readers for the bins?

Either way there is no checking of the scales used on bin lorries! the legal metrology service of Ireland do not afaik check any bin lorries!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

My bins are there at least 10 years and have no chips or other barcodes or other readable identification that the back of a dirty bin lorry could read. I assume there will be some kind of plug that they can stick into the lid hinge that will hold the chip and that the strange triangular protrusions at the back of the lorry are readers for the bins?

Either way there is no checking of the scales used on bin lorries! the legal metrology service of Ireland do not afaik check any bin lorries!

Mos t companies chipped the bins already they may not have even told you they did it as they could just do it when collecting your bon one day

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

http://www.thejournal.ie/bin-charges-ireland-2836582-Jun2016/
    MEMBERS OF THE Irish Waste Management Association (IWMA) have today agreed a number of measures it says “will alleviate consumer concerns” over bin charges.

The trade association for waste management companies have said its members have committed to freezing prices at current rates from 20 June 2016 to 1 July 2017.

In a statement the IWMA said: “This means that no householder disposing the same quantities of waste will face any additional charges during the first 12 months of pay-by-weight.

Last week, the issue of price hikes was raised by a number of TDs in the Dáil, with some members saying the waste collection companies were operating “a cartel”.

Bin charges have risen by 200% for some customers ahead of the new pay-by-weight system that is due to kick in on 1 July.

Environment Minister Simon Coveney is expected to discuss the issue with cabinet today.

The IWMA statement continues: “During this 12-month transition period waste companies will provide a cost comparison to their customers that will show the amount of waste they are disposing, their current costs and the equivalent pay-by-weight charges. Providing this cost comparison will help householders better understand how waste charges are calculated. They will be able to see how recycling more can reduce their annual charges.”

Encouraging recycling

The group said its members “will use the 12-month transition period to encourage waste prevention and recycling” and expects the Department of the Environment to “provide an informative awareness campaign that allows the public to understand the need for and benefits of the pay-by-weight system”.

The statement adds: “Waste contractors who are members of the Irish Waste Management Association have also agreed to provide a weight allowance to HSE patients supplied with incontinence wear to reduce their annual waste charges. IWMA members are committed to an arrangement whereby the additional weight attributed to non-infancy incontinence wear will be collected free of charge.

The IWMA has been examining the issue for the past two months, meeting with the Carers’ Association to better understand their requirements, and working with the department and the HSE to provide for households with higher volumes of waste than average due to non-infancy incontinence.

“This is a practical solution to hardship experienced by particularly vulnerable people in our society – the aged and those with disabilities.”

About three quarters of bin companies are members of the IWMA. Greyhound and the City Bin Co, for example, are not.

The latter sent us this statement:

We welcome the government’s proposal today on pay-by-weight and are in agreement with the 12-month price freeze whereby our customers will remain on their current price plans.

TheJournal.ie has conatcted Greyhound for comment.

AES are a member of IWMA but Ray Whelan isn't.

JaCrispy wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/bin-charges-ireland-2836582-Jun2016/

AES are a member of IWMA but Ray Whelan isn't.
    I can't see Whelan's bringing in the new charges as they would lose most of their customers and would find the routes uneconomical after that. they will hopefully be happy to keep charging as they were and also bring in the pay be weight system beside the other so that we get to see how much it would have cost us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Just off the blower to Ray Whelans; they're freezing the charges.

Presumably at whatever the 2015/2016 Annual/Yearly Rate was.

Mine're covered in my rent so no idea but the yearly one for landfill + recycling expired there at end of May & Landlord was only able to get 1 to cover June due to uncertainty.

Given can has merely been kicked down road would imagine they'll only give out an 11 Month Contract....?

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Just off the blower to Ray Whelans; they're freezing the charges.

Presumably at whatever the 2015/2016 Annual/Yearly Rate was.

Mine're covered in my rent so no idea but the yearly one for landfill + recycling expired there at end of May & Landlord was only able to get 1 to cover June due to uncertainty.

Given can has merely been kicked down road would imagine they'll only give out an 11 Month Contract....?
    Most people pay by the month or pay a few months at a time which suits them and provides a steady enough stream of funds for the company throughout the year.

Same here, I think we've had the same black bin since we moved in 15 years ago! & I don't know about chipping them without knowing, they're in & out of our estate so quick there's no way they could have it done that quick, or could they?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Same here, I think we've had the same black bin since we moved in 15 years ago! & I don't know about chipping them without knowing, they're in & out of our estate so quick there's no way they could have it done that quick, or could they?

AES sent a guy around to chip the bins one day took him about a min a bin and he came around before the truck so it was easy to know house each one was for

Most people pay by the month or pay a few months at a time which suits them and provides a steady enough stream of funds for the company throughout the year.

I pay by dd, they took an extra 30 when they took June's payment, which I persume happened everyone paying that way, I wonder will they refund that as quick as they took it!

I pay by dd, they took an extra 30 when they took June's payment, which I persume happened everyone paying that way, I wonder will they refund that as quick as they took it!
    Just got a text from them, they used to send out stickers but they are phasing that out and the 10day grace period is also gone so if you are not paid in advance on the 1st of the month your bins won't be emptied.

"Dear Customer,

As a price freeze is on the pay by weight, we are happy to inform you that we will revert back to our flat monthly rate from 1st July! Stickers will be phased out, along with the 10 day grace period, so please make sure your account is paid before the 1st of each month.

thank you"

• Advertisement

AES sent a guy around to chip the bins one day took him about a min a bin and he came around before the truck so it was easy to know house each one was for
    I think Ray Whelans did the same, they replaced one of the hinge bungs that hold the lid on so the chip is probably inside that.

Advertisement