Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bin Charges - Ray Whelan

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

tommycahir wrote: »
    I found it funny how they posted those to facebook approx 10 minutes before they closed on Friday and then stated there will be too many messages for them to respond to on that so call the office to discuss.. The same office which was closed all weekend!! Nice timing.. or maybe that is me being cynical ....

What struck me was the number of fb comments about switching to AES because they have a flat rate. Obviously totally unaware that pbw is being introduced by every refuse collector

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I was in the office getting stickers on Friday afternoon and they told me that all customers would be contacted by text with the new prices by close of business today, Monday, I'm not holding my breath they seem to be the most disorganized office i've ever been in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

My bill will probably be close to double what it is now. It goes without saying that I am very unhappy about this.

I'll see how much my first few collections work out at and then I'll know whether to cancel the account or not.

Fcuked if I am going to be paying double.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

BattleCorp wrote: »
    My bill will probably be close to double what it is now. It goes without saying that I am very unhappy about this.

I'll see how much my first few collections work out at and then I'll know whether to cancel the account or not.

Fcuked if I am going to be paying double.

Yeah working out the costs over the weekend and we are looking at approx double for us aswell, currently playing €23p/m and reckon it will approx be €40p/m.

really don't understand what is the driver behind this type of increase unless as mentioned above it is down to taking on the old erin foods site..

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think a lot of people are going to have issues when they leave there bins out at night and someone throws there rubbish into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Thanks to the Green Party turncoats and Tipperary's finest Anthrax "smelly" Kelly for this latest Government rip off of citizens.

I think a lot of people are going to have issues when they leave there bins out at night and someone throws there rubbish into it.
    I think a lot of people are just not going to be leaving bins out anymore as those charges are way over the top! that's an 100% increase per month for many people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

I'd be as well off copying my neighbours and dumping my rubbish in the lane to the back of my house. Every month or so the council comes along and clears it all up.

tommycahir wrote: »
    Yeah working out the costs over the weekend and we are looking at approx double for us aswell, currently playing €23p/m and reckon it will approx be €40p/m.

really don't understand what is the driver behind this type of increase unless as mentioned above it is down to taking on the old erin foods site..

It's not all Ray Whelan's doing. The law says that they have to pay by weight. It will be interesting to see if Ray Whelan's pricing is in line with other operators such as AES etc.

If they were making money at €22pm, I fail to see why the price is doubling..........................unless it is price gouging.

Owryan wrote: »
    I'd be as well off copying my neighbours and dumping my rubbish in the lane to the back of my house. Every month or so the council comes along and clears it all up.

Barrels will be scarce. People will be burning a lot of their rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I've already had that issue :(
    I've also had bins stolen more than once
    I'll be looking into getting those locks that let them do the lift, but won't allow animals or humans in without the key (or I could just keep the bins out the back.. )

Blacknight wrote: »
    I've already had that issue :(
    I've also had bins stolen more than once
    I'll be looking into getting those locks that let them do the lift, but won't allow animals or humans in without the key (or I could just keep the bins out the back.. )

I've looked at the pricing of those gravity locks anywhere from €50 up at the moment.

I think bin companies will have to start selling them at better prices if they want to keep customers.

It's not all Ray Whelan's doing. The law says that they have to pay by weight. It will be interesting to see if Ray Whelan's pricing is in line with other operators such as AES etc.

If they were making money at €22pm, I fail to see why the price is doubling..........................unless it is price gouging.

Yeah have no problem with switching to pay by weight and understand they are being forced by law to make the switch, it has even made me rethink how we manage some of our waste but the issue I have is the same as most on this thread and on their facebook page, we have no reason as to why it jumps from €23 per month to at least double that in most cases. :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

€16 service charge per month.

€0.23 per kg.

Possible 70kg bin = 70 × .23 = €16.10

€16 + 16.10 = €32.10 possible per month.

That's an increase of about €110 more per year than I'm currently paying.

Is that price for Ray Whelan? or AES?
    Is it confirmed?
    Thanks

Is that price for Ray Whelan? or AES?
    Is it confirmed?
    Thanks

Its for Ray Whelan and was confirmed on their facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/Ray-Whelan-Ltd-492300487603160/?fref=ts
    ****PAY BY WEIGHT PRICING****
    Service fee for 1 waste bin - €14 per month
    Service fee for 2 waste bins - €16 per month
    Waste - 23 cent per KG
    Compost (where available) - 16 cent per KG
    Recycling - will not be charged
    Due to the high volume of messages and comments it is impossible to reply to everyone on facebook. If you have any questions or queries please call our office on 0599147678 and choose option 1. Thank you

Collection of the household bin twice with a 70kg weight will cost about €48. It currently costs about €21.

The service charges should really be made a minimum charge and be set against your weight each month.

Has anybody here filled a bin and had it weighed yet?

Some weeks my bin is hard enough to move so I'm guessing it could easily be 50kg +

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

How much are AES and oxigen charging for the pay by weight? Is there a better deal out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

How much are AES and oxigen charging for the pay by weight? Is there a better deal out there?

Aes price in the thread if you read back over think it's 25c a kilo. Oxigen dont service carlow according to their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

Both Ray Whelans and AES are nearly exactly the same price. Ogilopolistic pricing at its finest......a.k.a price fixing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

With these new charges coming are the waste companies compelled to give us 3 bins. At present we only have 2.?

What I'd like to know is why is the price pretty much going to double from the current rate?

It's simple price gouging as far as I can see.

The Government set a minimum charges of 11c/kg for waste bins.

It's seems most of the bin companies are charging between 22c & 25c per kg double what the Government minimum charge is.

That looks like a price fixing cartel going on between the companies to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

What I'd like to know is why is the price pretty much going to double from the current rate?

New premises to pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,887 ✭✭✭patrickc

greenstar are also in Carlow, but they don't have pricing on their website yet

Got text from Whelans today, service charge is "from" €14 and general waste is 23cent/kg no charge for recycling and organic where available will be 16c/kg.

Just did a quick calculation and 2 x 40kg bins + €14 = €32.40 which is more than a 50% increase, robbing baxtards!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

patrickc wrote: »
    greenstar are also in Carlow, but they don't have pricing on their website yet

140 for service charge
    .33C for black bin
    .22c for brown bin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

AES confirmed via email to me their pricing:

"Our charges for the Pay By Weight are going to be 10.00 per month for your service charge and then 0.33c per kilo for general waste and 0.19c per kilo for the Organic food and the recycling bin will be free."

If you're an existing AES customer you can see how much your bins weighed at pickup over the last two years

Blacknight wrote: »
    AES confirmed via email to me their pricing:

"Our charges for the Pay By Weight are going to be 10.00 per month for your service charge and then 0.33c per kilo for general waste and 0.19c per kilo for the Organic food and the recycling bin will be free."

If you're an existing AES customer you can see how much your bins weighed at pickup over the last two years
    They will possibly work out cheaper than Ray Whelans if a person has less household waste than recycling with the lower service charge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,968 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

We are with Ray Whelan and they don't supply a brown bin in our Area so we have to put our food waste in the general waste bin.

That's going to cost 6c extra per kg now and with the weight of food that would add up quickly over the year.

We also have to leave our bins at the end of a lane the night before collection as the lorry can't access our road so it looks like I'll have to buy locks.

This is going to be expensive:(

Advertisement