Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bin Charges - Ray Whelan

Options
  • 28-05-2016 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

What's the story with the new bin charges that are starting on July 1st?

How much is the service charge and the price per kg?

It's a bit much for them to be telling us that we need to keep our account in credit and telling us to keep at least €30 per month in the account without telling us how much things are.

And if you don't have your account in credit your bin won't be collected and you'll be fined €5, are you are having a fuppin laugh.

I am predicting rubbish will be dumped all over the countryside.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭godwin

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I am predicting rubbish will be dumped all over the countryside.

I won't be doing that, but I will be burning as much as possible in the stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

godwin wrote: »
    I won't be doing that, but I will be burning as much as possible in the stove.

I think a lot of people will be using chimineas or something similar to burn their rubbish. Stoves aren't great, you'd be stinking out your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

I think a lot of people will be using chimineas or something similar to burn their rubbish. Stoves aren't great, you'd be stinking out your house.

Better than stinking the neighbors though. And illegal I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Burning of domestic/household waste is illegal whether done in your stove, range, chimnea or backyard incinerator barrel

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭godwin

Burning stuff in the stove is more environmentally friendly than dumping it in landfill.

Heats my house via the backboiler while burning

No diesel emissions from the bin lorry

Doesn't sit in a landfill for 20,000 years

My stove doesn't stink, it's sealed.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know how much Whelans are charging for the pay by weight collections?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭7foot ginger

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Does anyone know how much Whelans are charging for the pay by weight collections?

They don't have the charges yet I was told on the phone yesterday they should have them during the week. Where did they come up with €30? We aren't paying that much now. Will that extra €7 be credited against the weight charges? It wasn't made very clear in the letter really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Here's an idea what the Greyhound waste crowd will be charging in Dublin when the pay by weight comes in on July 1st

Service Charge €3.25 per week
    Black Bin 35c per kilo
    Brown Bin 23c per kilo
    Green Bin Free

They don't have the charges yet I was told on the phone yesterday they should have them during the week. Where did they come up with €30? We aren't paying that much now. Will that extra €7 be credited against the weight charges? It wasn't made very clear in the letter really

I'd say the service charge is going to be €5 per week because they are going to charge you €5 in the event your account isn't in credit. So in that instance, it costs you €5 to not have your bin collected.

And they will charge you €2 to take your money off you if you pay over the phone.

Are all the bins the same weight? Will they charge you for the weight of the bin plus the contents of the bin too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Will they also have some form of on-line invoicing so that we can see how much each bin lift weighed?

Their communication surrounding all of this is very very poor and unprofessional. It's not like this was sprung on them a few weeks ago, they have had knowledge of this coming down the tracks for some time now.

• Advertisement

tommycahir wrote: »
    Will they also have some form of on-line invoicing so that we can see how much each bin lift weighed?

Their communication surrounding all of this is very very poor and unprofessional. It's not like this was sprung on them a few weeks ago, they have had knowledge of this coming down the tracks for some time now.

They want us to sign up and have our accounts in credit but yet don't tell us what we will be paying.

It feels like we are being lubed up ready for a shafting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭droidman123

Anyone get a security warning when they try to log on to the greyhound website from a mobile device? I only get it on my mobile phone, it seems to be ok on my laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I'm currently using AES and there's zero information on their site about the new billing plans etc., which is quite annoying. I contacted them months ago but they still haven't given any indication about how they'll bill from July onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Darwin

I'm with AES too, I'd say €5 weekly service charge sounds in right ballpark. I paid €312 last year for a small waste bin and a recycle bin, so 52*5 = €260 plus say 35c per kilo for the waste bin would have given me a bill of €330 last year.

Darwin wrote: »
    I'm with AES too, I'd say €5 weekly service charge sounds in right ballpark. I paid €312 last year for a small waste bin and a recycle bin, so 52*5 = €260 plus say 35c per kilo for the waste bin would have given me a bill of €330 last year.

I've two bins with Ray Whelan, a rubbish bin and a recycling bin. I won't swear on it but I think we were around €21 per month for collection so €21 x 12 = €252 per year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Darwin wrote: »

Same, with AES have the 240l refuse and recycling bins. Last year was €250 and this year they only charged till July €130.

Find them v poor in terms of customer service.
    Been trying to switch to the smaller refuse bin but apparently they dont use them in Carlow??

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm with AES and have the 140L refuse bin in Carlow town.

I find AES a lot easier to deal than Ray Whelan whose staff in the office and on the phone I always felt were very rude whenever I wanted to pay or ask a question too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I'd say the service charge is going to be €5 per week because they are going to charge you €5 in the event your account isn't in credit. So in that instance, it costs you €5 to not have your bin collected.

And they will charge you €2 to take your money off you if you pay over the phone.

Are all the bins the same weight? Will they charge you for the weight of the bin plus the contents of the bin too?

that would be 20 euro per month standing charge , thats about what I pay ray whelan right now per annum for unweighted lifts

Jeepers, add typical Kg charges and the collection costs are going to skyrocket. maybe the water was the wrong protest !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭pat1981

BoatMad wrote: »
    that would be 20 euro per month standing charge , thats about what I pay ray whelan right now per annum for unweighted lifts

Jeepers, add typical Kg charges and the collection costs are going to skyrocket. maybe the water was the wrong protest !!!!!

Totally agree. I pay €31 per month for 2 bins = €382 for the year. When I lived in dunloaghaire coco area and they introduced weight charges per kilo in the 2000s I was paying approximately €850 per year for 1 bin weekly collection. I suspect to be paying a similar amount now. I'm very surprised there hasn't been much discussion on this, maybe when the bills start arriving things might change, this could be far more costly than water charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

It's not worth my while signing up to any of these. I live by myself and would have a max of 1 black bag a week if even. I just noticed the other day there is a black bin machine at back of supervalu in tullow and it's 6 euro a bag. On a yearly basis thats 312 euro. Going on your 850 a year thats nearly 3 bags a week you could put in it.

That standing charge per week is a total joke as is the 30 min credit to get a lift and if you dont have the 30 they wont lift but will still process the charge!!!

• Advertisement

According to the girl from AES i was talking to their charges will be €96 standing charge (6 months) so €16 per month. Waste bin will be 25c per kg and the recycling bin will have no charge.

She's not sure how the billing will work but your account will have to be in credit for the bins to be collected.

They are also implementing new procedures to ensure that there is no contaminated waste going into the recycling bins.

I did ask her what about people putting their rubbish into my bins and she said the onus will be on the customer to prevent this.

*quick maths. At the moment im paying around €21-22 per month. Under the new structure it will be €16 plus approx €8 per lift. I ave 30-32kg per fortnight. So my new refuse charge will be roughly €32 a month.

I'm paying €20/month with Whelan's at the moment but will be moving from them if they hike up the charges! AES are currently charging almost double for services in Carlow compared to Kildare, how are they going to keep track of all their pay by weight charges for different areas?

We still don't know the prices to be charged by Ray Whelan and this is supposed to kick off in three weeks.

I'd say that there is a good chance that I will be telling Ray Whelan to fcuk off once we know what we will be paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭pat1981

I rang rw today looking for info, but was told prices per kilo are not available at the moment.The only info I could get was that the 240 bins when full were about 30kilos in weight and that to reduce the weight I should use the recycle bin,however I already use this so things aren't going to change that much.

I rang aes and I was quoted 25c per kilo, but interestingly i was told that a 240 bin fully laden was between 75-80 kilos. I would tend to agree with this figure more so than the 30 kilo mentioned by the rw rep, but then again I could be wrong.

A €15 per month service charge not sure if this applies to 2x240 bins, but say it does i'm looking at approximately 1080 per year, based on 2x 75 kilo bin collected every 2 weeks if I was to change to aes.

It will be interesting to note rw fees when they announce this. Looking back when I was paying €31 for 2 bins under the old regime seemed great value.

pat1981 wrote: »
    I rang rw today looking for info, but was told prices per kilo are not available at the moment.The only info I could get was that the 240 bins when full were about 30kilos in weight and that to reduce the weight I should use the recycle bin,however I already use this so things aren't going to change that much.

I rang aes and I was quoted 25c per kilo, but interestingly i was told that a 240 bin fully laden was between 75-80 kilos. I would tend to agree with this figure more so than the 30 kilo mentioned by the rw rep, but then again I could be wrong.

A €15 per month service charge not sure if this applies to 2x240 bins, but say it does i'm looking at approximately 1080 per year, based on 2x 75 kilo bin collected every 2 weeks if I was to change to aes.

It will be interesting to note rw fees when they announce this. Looking back when I was paying €31 for 2 bins under the old regime seemed great value.

My 240l bin goes out half empty every 2 weeks and according to AES it weighs on ave 30kg. The C.S. i was talking to said the service charge was regardless of how many bins i have.

€16 service charge per month.

€0.23 per kg.

Possible 70kg bin = 70 × .23 = €16.10

€16 + 16.10 = €32.10 possible per month.

That's an increase of about €110 more per year than I'm currently paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

Possible 70kg bin = 70 × .23 = €16.10

€16 + 16.10 = €32.10 possible per month.

Does your calculation assume leaving the bin out once a week or once a month?

JaCrispy wrote: »
    Does your calculation assume leaving the bin out once a week or once a month?

Oops. You are right. I was calculating for one bin weighing 70kg per month. I would be getting 2 collections per month. I guess I'll be digging deeper into my pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,887 ✭✭✭patrickc

the higher prices than expected must be due the cost of the rental/purchase of the old cannery yard which he seems to have moved into in the last few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

I found it funny how they posted those to facebook approx 10 minutes before they closed on Friday and then stated there will be too many messages for them to respond to on that so call the office to discuss.. The same office which was closed all weekend!! Nice timing.. or maybe that is me being cynical ....

Advertisement