Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 6 Episode 5 "The Door" - "Non book readers"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

These Iron Born seem sparsely populated & poor... this task should take years!

probably cause they're inbred.........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

screamer wrote: »
    And what was the need for the close ups of the penis tonight? Seriously stupid and unnecessary.........

Totally unnecessary.... but it's ok cos it wasn't erect

It's pretty much the cornerstone of GRR Martin's universe.

Here's the 'inside the episode' for this week..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Have to agree with this. Its just not the same. Im starting to feel really detached from the whole thing now. Before it was gripping, and it had me hooked. Whereas now im completely aware im watching a tv show...if that makes sense!

The scene with Daenerys and Jorah...what the hell was that! It was completely pointless, and done stupidly. If it were an earlier series it wouldnt have happened like that at all.
    Yeah, as I said, functional. Laboured and workmanlike are also apt. It really is becoming quite a struggle to get through an episode.

Agree with you about being aware you are watching a tv show too. The characters are telling the audience what is happening rather than showing. As in acting! The story telling aspect of the show has been slowly scaled down season by season to a point whereby what we have now is a dramatic sketch show whereby the most realistic piece of storytelling this week was the play scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Didn't like the hodor ending at all. Time travel always ruins a story for me. Can't stand when writers bring it in,

Sansa isn't exactly showing herself to be too bright. With all she's been through, she now has an accomplished knight by her side protecting her so she decides to send her away on a mission?!

I wonder if theon and his sister will use their uncles plan and head towards khaleesi....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Not feeling the love like everyone else for that episode.

The warty penis was funny though. Feminists were giving out about loads of naked women but no naked men. If you want to see a dick, well here you go.

Each strand left in the show is being dragged waay too long. A girls storyline could be covered in two episodes, not two seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

New Red Priestess was hot, but I won't be fooled again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I don't know what people want from Game of Thrones. Since day one, it's been a slow-burner with tons of storylines building along at different paces up to about one climax per show (this week being Hodor and the White Walkers destroying the Memory Tree, last week it was Daenerys, the week before Jon hung the lads, the week before that he came back from the f'n dead like) or a huge blow-off at the end of the season. That's exactly what we're getting still. Character development isn't filler. Do people want it to be like Transformers or Lord of the Rings were there's a scene or two that leads into a huge, long battle scene at the end of every episode? Then you don't particularly care about the people involved. Whereas when it does happen - Battle of Blackwater, Nights Watch vs Wildling, Hardhomme, what looks to be a big battle coming up next week and with the Battle For Winterfell on the horizon too etc - it matters immensely because of the time spent building up the people involved.

The show now is what this show has always been, at least regarding the complaints about pacing people are having. Did you binge watch every season before now so the pace feels slower than when you could watch 6 new episodes a night and were guaranteed a huge payoff within one watch because of that? That's not the show's fault. Criticise it for what it is and not what you think it should be. If people cared about what we thought it should be doing, we'd be writing it ourselves and not moaning on boards. That's not the case.

Bran flake better have some fecking amazing ability to warrant the death of all those characters tonight. Poor old hodor.
    It was Interesting to see how the walkers came to be. I hope bran can figure out how to beat them but with the icy touch he got I wonder what that will bring.....

The danerys storyline as ever is dragging.

Sansa finally seems to be getting herself together and showing some stealiness.

I think arya will be set a mission to bump off one of her own family that will be her ultimate test.

And what was the need for the close ups of the penis tonight? Seriously stupid and unnecessary.........

As stupid and unnecessary as the close up of naked women that we see usually? I mean, we had a close up of breasts both before and after.

I mean, it was a bit of a "wait, what?" moment, but there's not much point complaining about it in a show filled with nudity and a lot of gratuitous full-on naked shots of women.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Can anyone answer me how Hodor got his name in the original trilogy that GRR had planned when that scene wouldn't have even existed in his books? Or did they make up "hold the door" long after to fit the name?
    This was planned since the start. The producers were told about it by GRRM. That reveal was 20 years in the making, we haven't seen it in the books yet!

• Advertisement

New Red Priestess was hot

The HBO casting ad must have went:
    Late 20s to 30s woman required for recurring season 6 role.
    - Vague euro-accent preferable.
    - rocking tits a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭5star02707

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Eline Powell is stunning...

thanks for research purposes :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

That was an enjoyable last 10 minutes, though why was Bran daydreaming and hanging around when they knew what was coming towards them?

Was enjoying that play until that unexpected willy shot :pac:
    Qbw8_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif?c=popkey-web&p=starbucks&i=frappuccino-brands&l=search&f=.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

New Red Priestess was hot, but I won't be fooled again.

Same necklace as well...

latest?cb=20071001171130

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Still hurting after that Hodor scene. Bran just better hope somebody burns his body, you don't want a vengeful, white-walking Hodor coming after you. I imagine he absorbed the three-eyed Raven's powers and that we're building up for a mental battle with the Night's King.

I'm enjoying the Theon development, he's finally growing a pair (ironically). I thought he was going to screw over his sister and make his own move for the Salt Throne.

Arya's story better prove to be the best one ever because it's been one and a half seasons of training now. She's slowly getting better but I think she's still a bit bratty.

I missed the High Sparrow. He's interesting and I'm just waiting to see his dark side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Hazys wrote: »
    I don't know how the White Walkers are going to get south of the wall if all it took was one fat guy leaning up against a door to stop an army of them?

Hodor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I'll happily put up with the odd penis for the amount of quality boobs in this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭nhur

have to say, I quite liked the Hodor loop... and the more rapid pace of the latest season .... however - it just seems like there is so much unnecessary stuff in the show overall... plenty of arcs/subplots which look like they're going to deliver spectacularly but just fizzle out (Aria & the hound, the countless hours of bran heading north etc. together with the continual building up of heroes and killing them off, simultaneously killing continuity only to bring one back from the dead...

I know i'm not supposed to mention the books here but I'm basically going through the same emotional rollercoaster with the series as with the books... starting off with being wowed by the intricate and far-reaching tapestry of characters and their motivations/backstories... then getting upset with the plodding of the (seemingly) main threads... especially daenerys chilling out in Not-Westeros (without doing anything with her dragons).

I know that a certain amount of filler is critical to understanding character motivations but there seem to have been a bizarrely large number of detailed stories from the early seasons which have absolutely no bearing on the current threads... It feels like we could have just been informed about them by exposition.

Am I the only one feeling this?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

nhur wrote: »
    have to say, I quite liked the Hodor loop... and the more rapid pace of the latest season .... however - it just seems like there is so much unnecessary stuff in the show overall... plenty of arcs/subplots which look like they're going to deliver spectacularly but just fizzle out (Aria & the hound, the countless hours of bran heading north etc. together with the continual building up of heroes and killing them off, simultaneously killing continuity only to bring one back from the dead...

I know i'm not supposed to mention the books here but I'm basically going through the same emotional rollercoaster with the series as with the books... starting off with being wowed by the intricate and far-reaching tapestry of characters and their motivations/backstories... then getting upset with the plodding of the (seemingly) main threads... especially daenerys chilling out in Not-Westeros (without doing anything with her dragons).

I know that a certain amount of filler is critical to understanding character motivations but there seem to have been a bizarrely large number of detailed stories from the early seasons which have absolutely no bearing on the current threads... It feels like we could have just been informed about them by exposition.

Am I the only one feeling this?

I suspect they will be changing the name to 'Lost 2' very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Few people have said this, not so many saying the same for Emelia's boob shot :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

somuj wrote: »

I think that's deeply unfair, GRRM has everything laid out in his head, the Hodor scene is a minor part of something that has been 20 years in the making. Even the white walkers, GRRM was at pains to stress it was not a battle of good v evil ala lord of the Rings and the depth of character development is required to keep the reader/watcher on toes.

I do take your point when things fizzle out in parts but it genuinely feels like one huge jigsaw which has a huge depth and is finally taking shape.

Lost was a concept which really had no ending in mind and was a blockbuster that just ran and ran to a deeply unsatisfying end in order to keep the money coming in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

somuj wrote: »

There is just no comparison.

GRRM has already given the show runners the broad strokes of where the story goes. This is a story 20+ years in the making.

Lost was a show with no original source material that had a great first season but then they just made it up on the fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭nhur

duffman13 wrote: »
    I think that's deeply unfair, GRRM has everything laid out in his head, the Hodor scene is a minor part of something that has been 20 years in the making. Even the white walkers, GRRM was at pains to stress it was not a battle of good v evil ala lord of the Rings and the depth of character development is required to keep the reader/watcher on toes.

I do take your point when things fizzle out in parts but it genuinely feels like one huge jigsaw which has a huge depth and is finally taking shape.

Lost was a concept which really had no ending in mind and was a blockbuster that just ran and ran to a deeply unsatisfying end in order to keep the money coming in.

I'm not so sure about it taking shape... I really want to believe that it is...but i think it's still changing shape...

Other than the Hodor thing, is there anything else which demonstrates a grand design 20+ years in the making?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,338 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Now that the Greyjoy Ironborn folks have to build a thousand ships from scratch, does this mean Dani will be stuck 'Galavanting' around across the sea for another several years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

Must be in minority but didn't like that episode.

The Ironborn have a clapometer to decide who becomes king.
    Elves with handgrenades.
    White walker dies so easily.
    Dead army won't take much beating if can be held back by a little bit of fire, or a door, or a character nothing more than a pack donkey.
    At least the pack donkey died.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah it seems like the Dani's time line will need to move much quicker than the Ironborn can build even 100 boats. I guess thinking about it, its possible that Theon and sis might take those 50 ships to Dani and scupper their bonkers murderous uncles plans that way... (just a guess, I'm not a book read or anything).

For the people comparing the willy-shot with boobs... I don't think its quite the same thing. See if they had a scene which started with a close up of a vagjayjay and see what the response would be.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

DeVore wrote: »
    Yeah it seems like the Dani's time line will need to move much quicker than the Ironborn can build even 100 boats. I guess thinking about it, its possible that Theon and sis might take those 50 ships to Dani and scupper their bonkers murderous uncles plans that way... (just a guess, I'm not a book read or anything).

Thats what I think will happen but can you fit 10000 screaming dothraki, 10000 unsullied and whoever else hitches themselves to her wagon on 50 boats?

I suppose you could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

DeVore wrote: »
    For the people comparing the willy-shot with boobs... I don't think its quite the same thing. See if they had a scene which started with a close up of a vagjayjay and see what the response would be.... :)

Honestly, I think this was a joke on behalf of the makers who are always getting hassle for the amount of boobs the show - especially after the finale of the previous show.

Are people really that horrified by seeing a willy on screen for a few seconds? I see one everyday and it's way more wrinkly and dishevelled than that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,338 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Do you remember that bit when St. Tibulus, he tried to take that banana off the other lad?

• Advertisement

While I did find the meat and two veg shot a bit "Be jaysis" during both viewings of the episode, in the context of the scene I do get it. This theatre troupe will probably be central to Arya's plot for the next couple of episodes. In this establishing scene backstage they use this problem the actor has as a way to demonstrate the closeness of this traveling group and the promiscuous nature of their lifestyles off the stage.

It also gives us a glimpse at how they are like a family and the power structures within the troupe. The young actor freaks out at the sign of a wart on his privates, but the elders laugh it off because of their experience. Rather than worry the young actor further, he seems to feel better now that his older 'brothers' are laughing it off.

But yes, there were probably ways to do this rather than start the scene with an extreme close up of a dangling sack. There are times when I wish I had a bigger screen for GoT viewing, not today.

Advertisement