Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 6 Episode 5 "The Door" - "Non book readers"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Eline Powell is stunning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

DeVore wrote: »
    Yeah, that seemed really unnecessary...

I know everyone is all "Oh Noooodor" and all but I would rate this a fairly average episode other than that. Its like watching 5-7 webseries back to back these days... Still enjoy it but its not as gripping as before I think.
    no :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

3 huge reveals , Children of the Forrest, Euron trying to woo Dany and Hodor.
    Varys getting owned by the Red Priestess.

Loved Eurons coronation scene.

The dialogue may still be going to ****e but this isn't the small potatoes stuff of Tywin and co at the small council anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Well he should have done that while he had access to the tree. He can still warg (and maybe has other powers) but interacting with the past was tree only surely?

Theres another one of those trees at winterfell isn't there? Maybe he can use that one or others to time travel? He might not need the old man (I really wasn't paying attention to that storyline at first and I'm a bit lost tbh!) to do it now that he knows how. Or maybe that particular tree was special, I don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

Is there any chance that young Hodor actually warged into future hodor by himself? With Bran merely witnessing it

This would avoid the necessity for time travel and make it more of a destiny thing for Hodor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Ahhh noooooo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Vojera wrote: »
    In a vaguely less traumatising aspect of the show, I was glad to see Sansa call Littlefinger out on throwing her to the Boltons but I feel this may come back to bite her in the ass.

Yup, she was right to castigate him but foolish to refuse his aid altogether. They'll need the help of the Vale to regain Winterfell.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

lbj666 wrote: »
    Loved Eurons coronation scene.

Pretty hardcore coronation ceremony. You'd really want to be in charge to put yourself through that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Gru wrote: »
    Is there any chance that young Hodor actually warged into future hodor by himself? With Bran merely witnessing it

This would avoid the necessity for time travel and make it more of a destiny thing for Hodor.
    thats what i thought happened

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Falthyron wrote: »
    Bran wargs into Hodor in both the present and the past. This creates a link between both Hodors with past-Hodor experiencing his own death through the connection with present-Hodor. In the present, he dies hearing the words 'Hold the Door' which becomes 'Hodor' and this transfers to past-Hodor where it becomes a permanent part of his make-up. Bran is a conduit between both Hodors and the experience of present-Hodor leaves an indellible mark on past-Hodor making him irreversibly changed for the rest of his life.

Great explanation,thanks for that.Epic episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Poor Hodor . And summer. RIP. Is it just Jon's dire wolf left out of the lot of them or is there another one still left who ran away after biting Joffrey?

Bran needs to cut his tripping sessions down a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

mojesius wrote: »
    Is it just Jon's dire wolf left out of the lot of them or is there another one still left who ran away after biting Joffrey?
    As far as we know Nymeria (Arya's direwolf) is still roaming around out there but there hasn't been any mention of her since Arya set her loose. I suppose there's always a chance she'll pop up again but it would want to be quite well written to stop coming across as unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Rezident

'Hodor' - Hodor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Don't really get why Sansa believes Littlefinger about her uncle. Surely she should think that there is something up. Also doesn't make much sense not telling Jon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Pilou Asbaek is poorly cast, IMO. He has a really strong accent and is far too young to be Balon's brother.

Yeah, Euron was one of my favourite characters in the books, disappointed with that casting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Degag wrote: »
    Don't really get why Sansa believes Littlefinger about her uncle. Surely she should think that there is something up. Also doesn't make much sense not telling Jon.

Perhaps because she assumes he's trying to win back her trust with some rare truths. She's probably right. He doesn't have much to gain from lying to her about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭PressRun

In a vaguely less traumatising aspect of the show, I was glad to see Sansa call Littlefinger out on throwing her to the Boltons but I feel this may come back to bite her in the ass.

Maybe, but I actually think Sansa, or rather the hangover of his obsession with her mother, is Littlefinger's one weakness. He looked genuinely shocked and guilty about what had happened to her. I think the Blackfish will be there at Riverrun, possibly with an army, but whether they'll be of any help is another day's work.

There must be a reason, as Brienne suggested, why Sansa didn't tell Jon that it was Littlefinger who gave her the heads up on the Blackfish. Does she still have a little bit of loyalty to him? She also fairly shot down Jon's claim to the North by pointing out that she is the one with the name, all of this after Littlefinger is careful to mention that Jon is only her half brother.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭polluxspiky

Can anyone answer me how Hodor got his name in the original trilogy that GRR had planned when that scene wouldn't have even existed in his books? Or did they make up "hold the door" long after to fit the name?

EDIT: not looking for book spoilers here obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Only occurred to me now to search for a GOT thread....

By God that was a brilliant episode

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

The ironborn are a load of shíte.

"They stole our best ships"

".... ummmmmm.... Right, the 15 of us will build 1,000 ships on this rocky outcrop with no trees. That'll take no time at all."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

There was some powerful scenes tonight and poor aul Hodor got a bit of meaning, but overall I have to say I wasn't blown away by the episode and in fact I was a little disappointed that we didn't get a huge heap of interesting story progression. Like I was hoping to find out more about Jon Snow's parents, instead we found out the origins of the White Walkers and Hodor's name, and to be perfectly honest I couldn't give a shíte about either.

A girl still has done anything yet, Daenerys got up on a horse (and that's about it), Jon and Sansa are still talking about going down south (again not much happening), the Iron Islanders proved themselves to be total morons (but I seen that one coming because things never go to plan in GOT), Littlefinger has more or less been put on the longfinger and we got no Kingslanding whatsoever!

Chalk this one down as midseason filler with admittedly a few powerful scenes, which is disappointing because I really enjoyed episodes 2, 3 and 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭BlondeMoment

Well im a blubbering mess after that.....hold the door :(:(:(

Cienciano wrote: »
    Yeah, Euron was one of my favourite characters in the books, disappointed with that casting.

I was wracking my brain trying to figure out where I knew his face from....then it dawned on me...he hosted the Eurovision song contest 2 years ago in Copenhagen!
    I fancied him then and I fancy him now...so no complaints from me! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭polluxspiky

Rega wrote: »

".... ummmmmm.... Right, the 15 of us will build 1,000 ships on this rocky outcrop with no trees. That'll take no time at all."
    Plus if 99% of them were siding with Theon and sis, HTF did newbie get to be king anyway? You just need guys who shout really loud to back you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Very good episode..... all of the episodes have been very good, there must be a dud due soon!

things that stick out for me though....

All of that Bran stuff is essentially for nothing.
    The Raven is gone, another dire-wolf goes (just 2 left), the children of the forest are no more, Hodor is also nomore.
    Bran is now (or should be now) of no use.

He's carried on a litter by his friend, no supplies, the army of the dead hot on his heels, a hundred odd miles north of the wall.
    By rights thats where they should be finished, though I'm sure the writers will work their way out of it somehow.

Its's amazing and kind of sh*t that Bran caused Hodor's collapse in the past & his death in the future.
    Also that Bran was at least capable of influencing both past & future feels like a stretch, even for a fantasy universe that used to be fairly anchored in a quasi-reality.
    We are just short of Doc Brown entering the fray & hitching Bran's sledge to the back of a Delorean.

Now that there is no Raven & no memory tree, the fantastic 'Tower of Joy' flashback is no more..... typical!

Good episode, but I think the writers f*cked us over a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Rega wrote: »

Exactly!

There is no sense of reality here.
    We get a shot of Yara & Theon departing in what looks like an armada of about 50-odd ships... meanwhile Borgen's Kasper demands a fleet be raised in persuit...

These Iron Born seem sparsely populated & poor... this task should take years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

She's gonna have her ass bitten? Poor girl can't catch a break at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭Evade

The Dany scene was very stilted. Emilia Clarke looked strangely different, I coudldn't quite put my finger on it.
    This will sound weird but was it because she hardly moved her eyebrows?

Emilia Clarke usually has very animated eyebrows but not in that scene.

nS3AkSm.gif

Canadel wrote: »
    The deline in the quality of the writing is becoming more and more evident each week also.

Have to agree with this. Its just not the same. Im starting to feel really detached from the whole thing now. Before it was gripping, and it had me hooked. Whereas now im completely aware im watching a tv show...if that makes sense!

The scene with Daenerys and Jorah...what the hell was that! It was completely pointless, and done stupidly. If it were an earlier series it wouldnt have happened like that at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Bran flake better have some fecking amazing ability to warrant the death of all those characters tonight. Poor old hodor.
    It was Interesting to see how the walkers came to be. I hope bran can figure out how to beat them but with the icy touch he got I wonder what that will bring.....

The danerys storyline as ever is dragging.

Sansa finally seems to be getting herself together and showing some stealiness.

I think arya will be set a mission to bump off one of her own family that will be her ultimate test.

And what was the need for the close ups of the penis tonight? Seriously stupid and unnecessary.........

Advertisement