Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 6 Episode 5 "The Door" - "Non book readers"

Options
  • 22-05-2016 1:31pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Pre empting the upcoming episode post by including some highlights from the charter. I'll try to set up each episode in advance each week; thread will be unlocked on Sunday evening.

This is ONLY about the specific episode shown on TV! No information from any other source, interviews etc. are allowed to be posted with the one exception that SPOILER tagged lore from the DVD releases and interviews will be allowed in the thread. Such information has to directly relate to the episode however and be clearly marked as for example "DVD lore from Season X relating to matter Y"
    Lore and conclusions go here

This means book readers are allowed to post but they can not reference ANYTHING from the books.

In addition anyone picking up 3 yellow cards will be banned from the forum for the current season; in case of serious enough transgressions the ban may come earlier than 3 cards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

He held the door!

rbdWv_s-200x150.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

So much to compute in this episode. Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

That was pretty Epic.

HODADOR !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Hold the door.
    Great episode.Saved me getting up early tomorrow morning to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

What an episode.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

A really good episode. That Hodor scene was absolutely heartbreaking.

And I was shocked to see Summer killed off so swiftly too :(

Though I'm a little at odds with whats-her-face being able to easily carry Bran off into the night. She has, what, a 60 second head start at most? That better not be the getaway.

Edit: I'm also a little disappointed in the reveal of how the White Walkers first came to be. The weird forest children have had very little screen time, and are a bit Narnia-esque for me. But to find out they created the walkers? That's a bit underwhelming, as was the 60 seconds or so screentime the reveal got. "You made them?" "Oh yeah we made them, we needed an army". Hopefully it will be fleshed out a bit more, but with the main forest alien girl now dead, I'm not sure where a further revelation would come from. But the origin of the white walkers was something I was looking forward to a lot, and that was just a bit "Really? That's it?" for me. Ditto: re how the forest alien girl killed one of the main White Walker leaders so easily with a spear.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Dragonglass maybe?
    Wow the ending of the episode was one of the best ever. So many emotions to endure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Wow, this season just gets better and better.... Hold the door :(

Something I'm unsure about though - why are the whitewalkers so desperate to get into the cave and capture Bran?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Maybe ive had one to many before watching this,but the hodor thing has me a bit confused lol
    He's been called hodor for years but he gets the name while holding the door for bran in the present while having a seizure in the past??

Tickled me confused

• Registered Users Posts: 14,832 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Wow, this season just gets better and better.... Hold the door :(

Something I'm unsure about though - why are the whitewalkers so desperate to get into the cave and capture Bran?
    They want his power iirc

Best episode in a long time.

Didn't the man in the tree say the past can't be changed, was he straight up lying to Bran?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Maybe ive had one to many before watching this,but the hodor thing has me a bit confused lol
    He's been called hodor for years but he gets the name while holding the door for bran in the present while having a seizure in the past??

Tickled me confused

Bran wargs into Hodor in both the present and the past. This creates a link between both Hodors with past-Hodor experiencing his own death through the connection with present-Hodor. In the present, he dies hearing the words 'Hold the Door' which becomes 'Hodor' and this transfers to past-Hodor where it becomes a permanent part of his make-up. Bran is a conduit between both Hodors and the experience of present-Hodor leaves an indellible mark on past-Hodor making him irreversibly changed for the rest of his life.

ShaneU wrote: »
    They want his power iirc

Either that, or the King believes Bran could be a threat to his plans. Perhaps he knows Bran could possibly change the past and eliminate the Whitewalker threat before it came to be?

Falthyron wrote: »
    Bran wargs into Hodor in both the present and the past. This creates a link between both Hodors with past-Hodor experiencing his own death through the connection with present-Hodor. In the present, he dies hearing the words 'Hold the Door' which becomes 'Hodor' and this transfers to past-Hodor where it becomes a permanent part of his make-up. Bran is a conduit between both Hodors and the experience of present-Hodor leaves an indellible mark on past-Hodor making him irreversibly changed for the rest of his life.
    Yeah coz thats not confusing haha i get it now thanks for clearing that up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

'Hold the door' is now the new 'Get to the chopper'.

Hodor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

ShaneU wrote:
    Didn't the man in the tree say the past can't be changed, was he straight up lying to Bran?

I'd have to go back and check, but doesn't he say something like the past is already written, rather than changed? Brand interactions (which we know he can make) have probably already been made and are part of the history of the world they are in now. I doubt he could go back and whisper to Joffrey to not kill Ned.

#holdthedoor will be the number one trending hashtag by tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,832 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Tickled me confused

What I'm guessing happened is Brann tried to control Hodor using his warg powers but because Brann was stuck in the past, Past Hodor's brain got mixed up with Present Hodor (which is how he hears hold the door) and his brain can't handle it and he has a seizure.

Yeah coz thats not confusing haha i get it now thanks for clearing that up

I prefer to think of it in terms of Back to the Future (my brain can process it better that way lol).

Like when Marty McFly went back to 1955, he not only managed to bring his parents together again, but improved them in the future by influencing their story in the past...if you get me. Bran now seems able to influence the future by going back to the past. I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

HOLY ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

There's no evidence so far that Bran can change the past. He's merely interacting with it on a small level, but the past is still the same. Would seem a cheat to do something dramatic and just restore the timeline and undo the events that have happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

****ing Bran. It's all his bloody fault.

I'm actually distraught about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

If the Night King could grab Bran, then surely he could have killed him no?

I'm not sure it's as simple as them just wanting him dead. I agree with whoever said they want his power.

PetKing wrote: »
    There's no evidence so far that Bran can change the past. He's merely interacting with it on a small level, but the past is still the same. Would seem a cheat to do something dramatic and just restore the timeline and undo the events that have happened.

I understand what you mean, but when he first started having visions in the cave, no one could see or interact with him. Gradually, we see signs that his presence in the past is being noticed.

Firstly, we see Ned seemingly able to hear an echo as Bran calls something out, then the Whitewalker sees and grabs him and finally we see young Hodor see him and begin to chant the only word he will be able to say for the rest of his life from that moment on.

There is some connection being made for sure, but it is confusing.

A really good episode. That Hodor scene was absolutely heartbreaking.

And I was shocked to see Summer killed off so swiftly too :(

Though I'm a little at odds with whats-her-face being able to easily carry Bran off into the night. She has, what, a 60 second head start at most? That better not be the getaway.

Edit: I'm also a little disappointed in the reveal of how the White Walkers first came to be. The weird forest children have had very little screen time, and are a bit Narnia-esque for me. But to find out they created the walkers? That's a bit underwhelming, as was the 60 seconds or so screentime the reveal got. "You made them?" "Oh yeah we made them, we needed an army". Hopefully it will be fleshed out a bit more, but with the main forest alien girl now dead, I'm not sure where a further revelation would come from. But the origin of the white walkers was something I was looking forward to a lot, and that was just a bit "Really? That's it?" for me. Ditto: re how the forest alien girl killed one of the main White Walker leaders so easily with a spear.

Wasn't it the girl that carried bran off who killed the white walker after he gave the tree girl a right hook?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 keavebm253

I have to say one of my top 3 best episodes.had a tear in my eye at the end.Brilliant writing.Has to go down as one of the best episodes.RIP Hodor

I also have to say, those Iron Islanders have no loyalty whatsoever. The guy who admits to murdering their king randomly turns up and they all just turn against Yara and Theon and swear loyalty to the guy.

They don't seem like the brightest bunch though, in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

ShaneU wrote: »
    What I'm guessing happened is Brann tried to control Hodor using his warg powers but because Brann was stuck in the past, Past Hodor's brain got mixed up with Present Hodor (which is how he hears hold the door) and his brain can't handle it and he has a seizure.

I thought that experiencing his own future death scrambled his brain and he was left only with the ability to say Hodor as a result.

Aw, hold the door :(

Seems George R. R. Martin almost let slip Hodor's name origin a few years back...

https://ventrellaquest.com/tag/what-hodor-really-means/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭amos13

Seems George R. R. Martin almost let slip Hodor's name origin a few years back...

Brilliant!

Advertisement