Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

MT's outlook seems to be downgrading by the day. I was banking on a few warm days towards end of June and early July but I am not so sure now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

MT's outlook seems to be downgrading by the day. I was banking on a few warm days towards end of June and early July but I am not so sure now.

I'm still fairly confident on early July.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I hope this warm spell late June/early July doesn't end up like chasing that cold easterly which is always a week away from December right through to March!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Terrible day in Galway heavy rain and windy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

horrible miserable and wet, but at 17C currently making it the mildest day this week here.

Shannon is reporting 17C and heavy sleet, im sure that can't be right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Gonzo wrote: »
    horrible miserable and wet, but at 17C currently making it the mildest day this week here.

Shannon is reporting 17C and heavy sleet, im sure that can't be right!

Where is that from!? Met Éireann? 1100z (1200GMT) METAR gives rain/drizzle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Aerohead wrote: »
    Terrible day in Galway heavy rain and windy

Absolutely atrocious:(

Today reminds me a lot of a day last Summer. What day was that? OH! EVERYDAY!

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Where is that from!? Met Éireann? 1100z (1200GMT) METAR gives rain/drizzle

that was reported on the met eireann site this morning, they had Shannon down as 17C and mod/heavy sleet!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,092 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Siobhan Ryan said temps for the past week were a degree above average?
    In what part of the country were temps a degree above normal? In my parts the week was freezing with temps as low as 13c during the daytime. I was even tempted to throw a few logs into the stove during the week!
    It must have been very sunny in western areas?

• Advertisement

In what part of the country were temps a degree above normal? In my parts the week was freezing with temps as low as 13c during the daytime. I was even tempted to throw a few logs into the stove during the week!

Though it may not feel like it, my station Grange has recorded a mean temperature for the past week with +1.1c above the LTA.

same here, generally cold all week, temps rarely got much beyond 13C except for today and last Wednesday when we had some sunshine.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Drying up rapidly with the breeze here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Windy and wet on the Kerry coast today, not a sinner on the beach in Castlegregory but plenty of action on the windward side with the Kite surfers getting plenty of action. Further out to sea the leading monohull yacht in the Round Ireland Yacht Race could possibly break the record if the winds maintain. Passing the coast of Antrim are three trimarans doing about 15 kts atm, I saw them on the tracker http://yb.tl/wicklowroundireland2016 earlier today off the west coast doing over 30 kts.

UW9uMvF.jpg?2bwIpfsW.jpg?1 Phaedo 3 at the start of the Volvo Round Ireland 2016

The leading Monohull, Rambler, is currently doing 22.5 kts sIVCHO9.jpg?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

I watched those trimarans pass Wicklow Head on Saturday - they can seriously move! Crazy how they are on the home stretch (expected in Wicklow between 3am-5am) and the majority of the other monohull yachts are battling a 20kts head wind off the Cork/Kerry coast.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

HighLine wrote: »
    I watched those trimarans pass Wicklow Head on Saturday - they can seriously move! Crazy how they are on the home stretch (expected in Wicklow between 3am-5am) and the majority of the other monohull yachts are battling a 20kts head wind off the Cork/Kerry coast.

Yea, facing into a lumpy sea offf the SW tonight although the wind is easing a bit later, might see a couple of early retirees in Fenit tomorrow. They should be startinfg to get the wind more on to their beams soon which will make for more pleasant sailing and help speeds and then Spinakers up the West coast.

3EpYWZp.gif

Some high daily rainfalls from yesterday

Valentia Observatory - 33.1mm
    Athenry - 26.1mm
    Mace Head - 24.1mm
    Newport - 23.9mm
    Shannon Airport - 17.2mm
    Sherkin Island - 16.4mm
    Mullingar - 16.1mm
    Dunsany - 12.5mm
    Cork Airport - 12.5mm
    Ballyhaise - 12.1mm
    Knock Airport - 11.9mm
    Claremorris - 11.7mm
    Mt. Dillon - 11.4mm
    Roches Point - 10.8mm
    Dublin Airport - 10.7mm
    Belmullet - 10.6mm
    Gurteen - 10.1mm

If I were to compare a June closely matched with this month, I'd have to go back to June 2005. June 2005 was overall a dull, very warm and dry month. However, it was not especially dry as the warmth and humidity of this month sparked off some heavy downpours at times particularly around the 24th when England got soaked. My station Grange was lucky though because I escaped many of the downpours and wet days and recorded 23mm overall.

Despite being much warmer than normal, June 2005 was a much duller than normal month in many places. At Grange for example, it was the ninth dullest June in my records - obviously there have been a lot more duller ones {Example: 1987, 1993, 1994, 2012} but it wasn't a good month for sunshine. Around the middle of the month, there was a very sunny interlude but much like this June, this was the only quite sunny period throughout the month as was this June when the sunny period was during the first few days.

Anybody seeing any comparisons with June 2005 in this June?

sryanbruen wrote: »
    For the rest of June, I am expecting fairly changeable conditions. However, I'm not just going to leave it off with that like most meteorologists say :pac: because I like to be specific. For the 14th-20th, I think you know what is going on - due to what MT is saying, unsettled and cool 'til the 18th and then unsettled on the 19th again but not cool. The period 21st-23rd I am thinking will continue unsettled and warm - sorry. Potential 23c around the 22nd, really depending on the sun. Then I am expecting an Azores high to be up at us sometime around the last full week with temperatures rising fast. This would give away to one of, it not the equal warmest June on record with 1976. It could bring lots of sunshine especially around the 28th/29th I am thinking.

The start of July is looking fine actually. It is looking very warm or potentially hot. If there won't be much sun - though I highly doubt that, the humidity will make it feel hot. After a very few days, it could break down though as the humidity and hot could spark off very heavy downpours with some potential very wet days - this is just based off of weather theory. BUT I am predicting the driest July in 32 years so it will most likely continue dry and sunny with hot conditions.

This is just a shot in the dark though. Mother Nature could change her mind and make me look like a fool here and do the opposite of what I said.

I should have known it was all a dream :(:o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Gonzo wrote: »
    I hope this warm spell late June/early July doesn't end up like chasing that cold easterly which is always a week away from December right through to March!

Yes, we will get a few days of above average warmth in the middle of October.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

A much better day today.

Mostly dry apart from some early heavy showers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Longest few days of the year it's disappointing over all.

Since Sunday late afternoon, it has not been bad at all at Grange. Sure, it's not been very sunny with clouds here and then but it has been very pleasant. It hasn't been too warm or too hot, it's just about right!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Yeah, I've been enjoying the weather over the last few days too. I find the forecasts always imbue more doom and gloom than the eventual weather really brings, because they're all American apps that expect to be able to depict a days weather with a single icon. More often than not, for Ireland, that ends up being white clouds with rain drops! But the Irish reality is that you'd need 4-5 different icons for a day, and some of those are very lovely indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,832 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Washout of a day here.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Washout of a day here.

It has been perfectly dry here since Sunday afternoon :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Dry and bright in Castlebar in a light southerly wind. feeling very mild at 17.3 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭squarecircles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Have to disagree with ye lads. This is meh weather. It's not cold but then again it's mid summer. It's predominantly cloudy and the last few evenings have been very dull. It's typical Irish weather and to us sun lovers it's time to get out.

• Advertisement

Have to disagree with ye lads. This is meh weather. It's not cold but then again it's mid summer. It's predominantly cloudy and the last few evenings have been very dull. It's typical Irish weather and to us sun lovers it's time to get out.

Not very dull here :cool:.

Advertisement