Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burning of EU flag outside Cork City Hall tomorrow, Monday 9th May at 10am

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

The same crowd with an agenda at different times doesn't really say anything extra.

Link to the other two.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 psheaser

EU is a farce, race to the bottom.

I envy the fact Britain has a referendum coming up, if only our politicans had some balls.

Down with the union.

Ireland would be far better off leaving the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Why are they all wearing high viz?

Ireland has a bit of an over the top health and safety culture actually. It's very noticible if you've lived elsewhere.

Not too many other countries you'd see a flag burning, by appointment, with a fire extinguisher, high vis jackets.

They probably had eye protection and a safety statement.

We're increasingly making the Swedes and Germans look laid back.

The EU has turned us all Swedish or something....

My British cousin was horrified that you literally can't get plastic bags here in a lot of shops and they look at you like you've just asked them to shoot a small kitten in some when you ask for one....
    And the recycling --- he nearly fell over when I explained about the pay by weight using RFID wheelie bins and how yes, really, there's 4 bins...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,059 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The same crowd with an agenda at different times doesn't really say anything extra.

Link to the other two.

2013 have the OECD also

Edit http://www.schooldays.ie/education-news-item/Survey-reveals-1-in
    By different organistation

2013 have the OECD also

Edit http://www.schooldays.ie/education-news-item/Survey-reveals-1-in
    By different organistation

Link not working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

I don't think that article says what you think it does . It seems we are doing something about it - the money and programmes are available but we have a problem with take up rates .

I consider myself very socially left wing but I have to say I have a nagging problem with all these charities/pressure groups , we are constantly being told such a % is below the poverty line/homeless/hungry etc and to even question the measurement methodology results in just being shouted down rather than answered . Am I alone in thinking like this ?

For instance why do we need so many charities doing the same job - e.g Goal,Concern,Oxfam .

I read somewhere recently that between government and charities we are spending 40k per year on each homeless family , how can that be ?

And just to stay on thread - the EU is without question the best thing that ever happened to Ireland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 psheaser

Thanks to the EU I'm the only Irish person that lives on my road.

Couple of poles which are sound and hard working tbh. The rest are African, middle eastern etc don't work, never say hello great contributors to this country.

psheaser wrote: »

Couple of poles which are sound and hard working tbh. The rest are African, middle eastern etc don't work, never say hello great contributors to this country.

Can just imagine plenty of other people in other countries saying similar about the Irish.

marienbad wrote: »

And just to stay on thread - the EU is without question the best thing that ever happened to Ireland

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Lol, so the european's are ok, but europe = bad?

Love rationality like this. :)

• Advertisement

Why?

not quite ''How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.'' but not too far off it either .

If you remember the Ireland pre 1972 and compare and contrast as they say to the Ireland of today it have been an amazing journey in a relatively short period of time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

not quite ''How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.'' but not too far off it either .

If you remember the Ireland pre 1972 and compare and contrast as they say to the Ireland of today it have been an amazing journey in a relatively short period of time.

My old man who came from very little in Artane was a civil servant with a modest enough salary got himself a mortgage at 24 and raised a family of three at the same time, obviously with the support of his wife starting back in 1968.

Would someone in a similar position to his in this Ireland which has had this amazing journey you speak of have this same opportunity?

Thanks for reply.

I would argue though that countries like England and Germany who suffered terrible destruction in WW2 ain't doing too bad now either.

I see what you're saying. The EU has been good in many ways, I just don't think it be the doomsday if and when it breaks up

My old man who came from very little in Artane was a civil servant with a modest enough salary got himself a mortgage at 24 and raised a family of three at the same time, obviously with the support of his wife starting back in 1968.

Would someone in a similar position to his in this Ireland which has had this amazing journey you speak of have this same opportunity?

Soo, you think we should go back to the time when salaries were set so that a man would provide for an entire family, which effectively meant women were bared from working.

And, having a CS job back in the 60s was like wining the lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Can just imagine plenty of other people in other countries saying similar about the Irish.

BS. The vast majority of Irish people who went to Australia, The US, Canada etc did not go to pop out as many anchor sprogs as possible and live a free life fueled by handouts.

BS. The vast majority of Irish people who went to Australia, The US, Canada etc did not go to pop out as many anchor sprogs as possible and live a free life fueled by handouts.

Yeah, the Irish can't stand social welfare. Are you saying when the Irish go abroad they don't have kids?

When traveling to the UK they were effectively treated like the British, from a legal point of view. So, no need for anchor sprog there.

Not sure about the US and Oz, but they weren't known for not having large families.

Soo, you think we should go back to the time when salaries were set so that a man would provide for an entire family, which effectively meant women were bared from working.

And, having a CS job back in the 60s was like wining the lottery.

So you think that we should live in a time where a man can'tprovide for an entire family where the couple both may choose in a joint decision that the mother might want to raise the children herself for countless reasons which beat a daily early morning offload in a €1500 per month crèche.

If you call winning the lottery working your arse off and getting a university scholarship and choosing to serve his country after then so be it...but let it be known and you clearly are far too young but there was a time here when national pride and patriotism extended way beyond any EU grants and incentives.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,941 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

EU is a farce, race to the bottom.

I envy the fact Britain has a referendum coming up, if only our politicans had some balls.

Down with the union.

Ireland would be far better off leaving the EU.

id have to agree, that the eu is indeed a race to the bottom but i think we re now caught in a catch 22. if we left now, we d probably be screwed as our currency would probably be attacked leading to hyperinflation, amongst other things. damned if you do, damned if you dont, as far as i can see. the uk will not leave the eu as the 'terrify companion' is in full swing, and is working!
    I don't think that article says what you think it does . It seems we are doing something about it - the money and programmes are available but we have a problem with take up rates .

I consider myself very socially left wing but I have to say I have a nagging problem with all these charities/pressure groups , we are constantly being told such a % is below the poverty line/homeless/hungry etc and to even question the measurement methodology results in just being shouted down rather than answered . Am I alone in thinking like this ?

For instance why do we need so many charities doing the same job - e.g Goal,Concern,Oxfam .

I read somewhere recently that between government and charities we are spending 40k per year on each homeless family , how can that be ?

we need to start asking why so many countries require charitable aid, the answers are quite disturbing. we re all caught up in the same debt based monetary systems, controlled mainly by the same financial institutions. the main culprits being the imf and the world bank. most of these struggling developing nations are heavily indebted to these institutions. for example, roughly 75% of the total tax revenues received by the filipino government are required to service its debts. this prevents these countries from building sustainable economies, therefore requiring large charitable donations in order to survive.

the approach by some charity groups is indeed disgraceful, but as i explained above, i do believe, the main problem is our debt based monetary systems that are largely controlled by a private banking system.

the eu may have been very beneficial to ireland in the past, but it has become obvious to me, particularly since the 2008 crash, it is actually a massive neoliberal movement that is largely controlled by private financial institutions that have no real interest in the well being of the people of europe. i suspect if the ecb was a publicly owned body, we d have half a chance, but since its not, i do think the eu is doomed and will eventually collapse, but this collapse could take a very long time.

So you think that we should live in a time where a man can'tprovide for an entire family where the couple both may choose in a joint decision that the mother

Not if it comes at the expense of a married woman wanting to work.

If you call winning the lottery working your arse off and getting a university scholarship and choosing to serve his country after then so be it....

Fair play to him, especially as far fewer than today went to university - hell, most people didn't even finish the leaving cert, so you're not comparing like with like as he would be far better educated than most and one can see how he would have afforded a mortgage. Very few back then did.

Without question - yes . And a much better standard of living now also .

I don't think people really realize how poor Ireland was back then , we just didn't so at the time because 90 % of us were in the same boat.

• Advertisement

, we just didn't so at the time because 90 % of us were in the same boat.

I genuinely believe that's what some people would be happy with. As long as they were all in the same boat, and had a few toffs to sneer at.

So you think that we should live in a time where a man can'tprovide for an entire family where the couple both may choose in a joint decision that the mother might want to raise the children herself for countless reasons which beat a daily early morning offload in a €1500 per month crèche.

If you call winning the lottery working your arse off and getting a university scholarship and choosing to serve his country after then so be it...but let it be known and you clearly are far too young but there was a time here when national pride and patriotism extended way beyond any EU grants and incentives.

Better than working your arse off in a non CS job and the thought of university never even showed up on the radar no matter how brainy you were .

And by the way seen as you brought a personal slant to the discussion might I ask how that CS pension worked out ?

Without question - yes . And a much better standard of living now also .

I don't think people really realize how poor Ireland was back then , we just didn't so at the time because 90 % of us were in the same boat.

Lol...:D show us this 24 year old anything that would get a mortgage here for as much as a woodies shed. You seem to think this new found wealth is somehow spread equally, the rich poor divide here is incomprehensible at the moment. There is barely a middle class existence and it pays healthily to be a useless layabout which are almost nearly on a par with the middle class in terms of disposable income.

Lol...:D show us this 24 year old anything that would get a mortgage here for as much as a woodies shed. You seem to think this new found wealth is somehow spread equally, the rich poor divide here is incomprehensible at the moment. There is barely a middle class existence and it pays healthily to be a useless layabout which are almost nearly on a par with the middle class in terms of disposable income.

How many afforded mortgages in the pre EU utopia ? Very, very few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

How many afforded mortgages in the pre EU utopia ? Very, very few.

House ownership was reasonably high. We had a lot of social housing too.

House ownership was reasonably high. We had a lot of social housing too.

Yes, it was social housing. With the likes of Ballymun, moyross etc. Not all were that bad, but a lot were badly serviced.

And seriously, consider the quality of housing most live in now compared to back in the 60s. No comparison.

Better than working your arse off in a non CS job and the taught of university never even showed up on the radar no matter how brainy you were .

Eh? this doesn't make much sense. Thought or taught? Or what's going on?
    And by the way seen as you brought a personal slant to the discussion might I ask how that CS pension worked out ?

The pension he paid into his entire life from 24 years of age? He still lives in Artane in the same house, drives a 07 Corolla, goes on a holiday to visit family twice a year and then pays a fair chunk for nursing home for my mother, far as I know he hasn't a huge amount left after the month...that OK with you?

Eh? this doesn't make much sense. Thought or taught? Or what's going on?

The pension he paid into his entire life from 24 years of age? He still lives in Artane in the same house, drives a 07 Corolla, goes on a holiday to visit family twice a year and then pays a fair chunk for nursing home for my mother, far as I know he hasn't a huge amount left after the month...that OK with you?

Spelling error well done , you spotted it .

Thats fine with me but you brought family into a public discussion so don't get sniffy with the reply .

Spelling error well done , you spotted it .

Thats fine with me but you brought family into a public discussion so don't get sniffy with the reply .

Honest question, are you jarred? Why so hostile and what the hell is 'sniffy'? I thought you were making some point about being 'taught at university'...to be honest I couldn't make sense of your point in either spelling which is why I asked, I still can't.

• Advertisement

Honest question, are you jarred? Why so hostile and what the hell is 'sniffy'? I thought you were making some point about being 'taught at university'...to be honest I couldn't make sense of your point in either spelling which is why I asked, I still can't.

The point she was making that vanishing few were able to afford or had the opportunity to go to University in 1968.

You'd practically be revered in the local village.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement