Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burning of EU flag outside Cork City Hall tomorrow, Monday 9th May at 10am

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

Why?

Seriously, why?

There's lots of good in being part of the EU, and not wanting to be an effective vassal state of the UK is a nice bonus.

There's a lot being said about the fishing rights we have given up - we have given up significant fishing rights, but I don't remember us being rich because of them before the EU.

Plus, we'd have to put a fortune into patrolling them to avoid Spanish super trawlers coming and pillaging them.

The main reason that fishing rights are gone is because of the establishment political parties here and the huge farming lobby coupled with a tiny and weak fishing lobby. They got a massive deal on funding farming and fishing simply didn't politically matter.

For an island, Ireland has always had a weird attitude to fishing and eating fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

We are Rich? Really?

We spend 800million alone funding other EU countries

We have serious Homeless Crisis, Unemployment are still at poor level.

This whole thing that it's all doom and gloom if UK left EU is laughable.

It's scaring people and it's working.

EU wont be around for much longer be it good or bad thing

I didn't say we are rich - I said we weren't rich when we had didn't sign up to give away the fishing rights. That's semantics, because I do think, as a people, we are very well off.

I'm not asking you to get the actual facts, but I wonder what the homeless levels were at and the unemployment level pre joining the EU.

Personally I think we are always going to have homeless, and the state does provide for them.

If there is going to be a policy of a guaranteed home for everybody we would have to radically have to rethink our economics. I for one would love not to have a mortgage.

12Phase wrote: »
    They got a massive deal on funding farming and fishing simply didn't politically matter.

So, there was give and take?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,068 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I didn't say we are rich - I said we weren't rich when we had didn't sign up to give away the fishing rights. That's semantics, because I do think, as a people, we are very well off.

I'm not asking you to get the actual facts, but I wonder what the homeless levels were at and the unemployment level pre joining the EU.

Personally I think we are always going to have homeless, and the state does provide for them.

If there is going to be a policy of a guaranteed home for everybody we would have to radically have to rethink our economics. I for one would love not to have a mortgage.

Well off? 1 in 5 kids go to bed Hungary every night and it's closer to 1 in 4 now

Well off? 1 in 5 kids go to bed Hungary every night and it's closer to 1 in 4 now

Where are you getting this stat from, are you talking about relative poverty?

By the way, shocking that 4 out of 5 kids don't get to sleep in Hungary every night. :p

• Advertisement

Where are you getting this stat from, are you talking about relative poverty?

By the way, shocking that 4 out of 5 kids don't get to sleep in Hungary every night. :p

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/food-poverty-ireland-2047633-Apr2015/

Homelessness could be solved here and we most certainly have the resources to solve it.

WE (or our elected representatives) took idiotic political decisions that laid the foundations homelessness!

It wasn't the EU that was lobbying to shut down social and affordable housing and that allowed developers to simply pay a fee to local authorities to get out of building it. It was NIMBYISM and snobbery.

I saw it first hand in Cork where people in one spirhside suburb actually protested against building social and affordable housing not too many years ago.

It also has suited a large % of the establishment middle class here to keep the landlord dole system known as rent allowance going. It's propping up buy to let mortgages and keeping a large number of people up to their necks in speculative debts above water.

Those are the people who our major parties care about, not some guy sleeping in a doorway.

Blaming the EU for the consequences of our idiotic policies is just stupid.

Yeah the Euro has issues and the bailout loans weren't ideal but we shouldn't have been in that mess in the first place.

Also if you look at the HSE, the main issue is management and structures, not funding. We spend more on health per capita than the UK does in raw €/head and we get way less for our spend and it's not even universal.

Ireland is very wealthy, by any standards. We just make political decisions that have done the country a lot of damage.

So go on, blaim the EU or those 'outsiders' and keep voting for the same old cronies over and over. That's definitely going to solve everything.

Based on what is said by an organisation that benefit's from saying as much?

But, forgetting that bit, where's the research they based this on - I didn't see it referenced.

Based on what is said by an organisation that benefit's from saying as much?

But, forgetting that bit, where's the research they based this on - I didn't see it referenced.

So you just Want pretend this is load of rubbish?

That says it all

Yeah the Euro has issues and the bailout loans weren't ideal but we shouldn't have been in that mess in the first place.

Take from one hand and into another. They're no " outsider" as EU is very much running this country and I hate FG as much as anyone

• Advertisement

So you just Want pretend this is load of rubbish?

That says it all

Saying that 1 in 4 of the children you pass in the street is going to bed hungry is a huge statement and a damning indictment of our country. It needs to be backed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Saying that 1 in 4 of the children you pass in the street is going to bed hungry is a huge statement and a damning indictment of our country. It needs to be backed up.

Well 3-4 families a day in Dublin are losing their Home. That's a 100 a month as was said on Newstalk this morning.

To say that 1 in 5 children are Hungary is not such a surprising claim if you walk streets and see the neighborhoods that are getting more socially poor and dangerous

Take from one hand and into another. They're no " outsider" as EU is very much running this country and I hate FG as much as anyone

No, FG and FF and a self-intested establishment run this country and always have.
    It suited a lot of ppl to have the "no bank left behind" policy...

No, FG and FF and a self-intested establishment run this country and always have.

Now they are as pathetic as you get, but if EU say we have to do A and B with our money, that's what we do.

Well 3-4 families a day in Dublin are losing their Home. That's a 100 a month as was said on Newstalk this morning.

To say that 1 in 5 children are Hungary is not such a surprising claim if you walk streets and see the neighborhoods that are getting more socially poor and dangerous

Going by the 2011 census, more that 25% of the population is under 18. That's a million children in the state. That's 250,000 children going hungry at night per your statistic.

Granted, you can go into certain areas and see children aren't being well looked after by parents, but that would not be representative.

BTW, why do you think there are 250,000 children in Ireland going to bed hungry each night?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

What's a CPPC?

Gavlor wrote: »
    What's a CPPC?

It's an intellectual think tank striving for the betterment of the Irish people.

Now they are as pathetic as you get, but if EU say we have to do A and B with our money, that's what we do.

Is it though?
    In many cases the EU has been the 'bogie man' used to justify unpalatable policies. For the most part the EU only laid out financial targets. How those were achieved was our issue.

For example, the Troika suggested tackling the astronomical legal fees and other transactional costs here. Did we do that?!
    Ha!
    God no, we just cut housing spending instead.

Also we shouldn't ever have been in a situation where we needed bailout loans. Had it not been for the idiotic nonsense that got us into that mess, we would never have had the Troika in the first place.

Unfortunately, locally generated policies ran the economy off a cliff. The 'programme' was the sad reality of what happens when you end up seeking financial assistance. There are strings.

It's an intellectual think tank striving for the betterment of the Irish people.

So flag burning is intellectual?

Thanks god Europe makes decisions for us, otherwise we'd be back to the Middle Ages!

• Advertisement

I may have exaggerated just a tad.

Thanks god Europe makes decisions for us, otherwise we'd be back to the Middle Ages!

Well, if you write a thesis on it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

dobz95 wrote: »
    As tomorrow is Europe Day, it's no surprise that all throughout Europe tomorrow people will be burning the EU flag.
    Come to Cork City hall where the CPPC will burn the EU Flag in conjunction with #‎Irexit‬ campaign. Heres the link to the event and what not. https://www.facebook.com/events/1118484748203007/

I dunno but, I think a lot of people would be rather working than burning flags being a public nuisance.

Well, hopefully they don't leave a load of melted plastic or burn marks on the our publicly owned, fancy pavement...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,001 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Gavlor wrote:

Leaving a largely privately owned banking system run our monetary systems, what could possibly go wrong!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Leaving a largely privately owned banking system run our monetary systems, what could possibly go wrong!

It's a slightly better option than allowing teachers, career politicians and a failed builder make the decisions for us!

It's a slightly better option than allowing teachers, career politicians and a failed builder make the decisions for us!

Not really, you at least get to fire the elected lot once every 5 years or so where as you're stuck with whatever the banks decide is in *their* best interest, not yours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

We are Rich? Really?

We spend 800million alone funding other EU countries

We have serious Homeless Crisis, Unemployment are still at poor level.

This whole thing that it's all doom and gloom if UK left EU is laughable.

It's scaring people and it's working.

EU wont be around for much longer be it good or bad thing

My biggest fear of Ireland leaving the EU is that we will get Phil Hogan back

BTW, why do you think there are 250,000 children in Ireland going to bed hungry each night?

Sadly a number of reasons. It could be the parents themselves of course.

However or own Government should be ashamed of themselves.

But lot of EU stops us from actually looking after our own and looking after others who contribute nothing to society.

We are too much of soft touch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Harika

Sadly a number of reasons. It could be the parents themselves of course.

However or own Government should be ashamed of themselves.

But lot of EU stops us from actually looking after our own and looking after others who contribute nothing to society.

We are too much of soft touch

Where does the EU prevent us to look after our own? Or which policies, that were in place before Ireland's entry into the EU, would ensure no kids are starving anymore?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement