Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The New Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

pone2012 wrote: »
    So, again i reiterate, id prefer to discuss the phenomena observered rather than a comparative analysis

Fair enough. But why do you think this is a new thing? If anything I would imagine it has declined slightly since the boom years?

As a nation we abuse alcohol. There's nothing new in this. I'd rather if we had a more mature approach, and can't quite see how throwing up in the street can be counted as a good night out, but I know my attitude has always been seen as odd by my peers. (Or pee-ers as the case may be :))

But that's up to individuals, to act as they see fit. As long as they're not hurting anyone else, then it's not my problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

People seem to be hung up on the fact that the OPs girlfriend is from India and how dare she have a less than wholly positive opinion. That wasn't the substance of his point: get over it!

As regards the behavior he was talking about - I honestly don't see anything new in that.

Country town in Ireland plus drink plus people = age old results. Not great, I know, but it's hardly new.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

The guy is exaggerating. Making Ireland out to be some lawless bandlands. We're obviously going to bring up India given the complainee was Indian.

A lot of places are pretty intimidating at 2am after the pubs close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭hairyslug

While pissing in the street isnt the nicest thing in the world, sometimes (especially with drink onboard) theres not much choice, just not in open public (pick a quiet lane), sex in public, sure who hasnt done that, the only real crime in this scenario, assault, is being dealt with by the gardai.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Lyaiera wrote: »
    A lot of places are pretty intimidating at 2am after the pubs close.

Boo hoo. We're one of the richest countries in the world. If all we have to complain about is rowdy folk at 2am, well either stay indoors or deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Boo hoo. We're one of the richest countries in the world. If all we have to complain about is rowdy folk at 2am, well either stay indoors or deal with it.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Well now you know what to get the GF for her next birthday -- a Jeremy Kyle boxset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

ScumLord wrote: »
    Guards tend to prioritise on a bank holiday sunday night. They could deal with every single crime but the crimes you mentioned are fairly minor, public urination and some dry humping. Socially unacceptable during the day but at night you can be sure that one or both of those groups would have turned a simple warning into a diatribe of rights they saw on law and order. So guards tend to keep an eye out for violence and prioritise dealing with that.

When I came home after an extended time away I came into Galway on a saturday night and it was mayhem (this was 10 years ago). I hadn't seen anything like it in two months traveling around Europe. But you talk to just about any foreigner and they love that mayhem. It's been wiped out in many countries.

In fairness, this looked like a full on
    G spot massage
    to me.....tbh there were 2 squad cars there,,about 5-6 garda and only two had left the car..it was a fight between two teenagers..this town in particular has had national publicity in terms of their poor garda quality and dozens of complaints launched

Plus if I pissed in public in another country, Im assuming it wouldn't be frowned upon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

In fairness, this looked like a full on
    G spot massage
    to me.....

You must have been pretty close and paying attention to the detail.

Plus if I pissed in public in another country, Im assuming it wouldn't be frowned upon

Do you know India is basically an Indian sewer? I've been there. Kids openly ****e all over the streets. It's disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

What town was this in? Every small town I've been in in the last five years is a hell of a lot better than it was ten years ago, when the incidents you describe would have been typical of a damp Tuesday afternoon.

hairyslug wrote: »
    sex in public, sure who hasnt done that

What have I been missing out on! :eek::o

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Yes, and no. In other countries they took the sensible decision to have public urinals available. You simply can't stop people pissing in public when they're drunk, It's going to happen. That's why in places like Amsterdam they have public urinals. I think they even pack them away during the day and bring them out at night. Problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

It all boils down to alcohol...

maudgonner wrote: »
    What have I been missing out on! :eek::o

Frostbite!

smash wrote: »
    Frostbite!

And road rash instead of carpet burns.

maudgonner wrote: »
    And road rash instead of carpet burns.
    War wounds my dear!

:D

a little bit off topic but a friend of mine was at a stag party a while back, during the night, he met a girl, they went outside and wanted some privacy so they went behind a burger van, she was down on her knees..., they were both so pissed that the did not realise that the burger van was on the pavement that backed onto the main road

a little bit off topic but a friend of mine was at a stag party a while back, during the night, he met a girl, they went outside and wanted some privacy so they went behind a burger van, she was down on her knees..., they were both so pissed that the did not realise that the burger van was on the pavement that backed onto the main road

Did she propose to him??

Did she propose to him??

yes, yes she did, after she gave him a blowjob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,372 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

yes, yes she did, after she gave him a blowjob

and they say that romance is dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lurkio

Wow, some of the responses are truly spectacular

She was horrified that people can literally urinate, instigate sex and beat the living hell out of each other all within 500m with police present and pretty much standing idly as if its nothing...but this was not about her opinion

This was about my analysis of the situation..hence the questions I asked..If i wanted to slate India..id have started a 'how dare she thread'....rather, im interested in peoples opinions on the phenomena observed

I must admit im amused as to how people immediately began slating India..this is a discussion about Ireland..I dont live in India, therefore dont care for discussion on the topic

Well people would be curious as to where you do live, because theres absolutely nothing new about that sort of behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lurkio

ScumLord wrote: »
    Yes, and no. In other countries they took the sensible decision to have public urinals available. You simply can't stop people pissing in public when they're drunk, It's going to happen. That's why in places like Amsterdam they have public urinals. I think they even pack them away during the day and bring them out at night. Problem solved.

There are now no public toilets in Dublin at all, afaik. Certainly none in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Lurkio wrote: »
    There are now no public toilets in Dublin at all, afaik. Certainly none in the city centre.
    It's bad all over, the state, the guards, and people in general have no right to complain about it. If people don't have facilities to piss in they're going to piss on the street it's pretty simply logic. Although in a small town you can just piss in the ditch on the way home.

I wonder outside of it being distasteful to people, is there really any problem with it. A good shower of rain will wash it away pretty quickly. It's not like in Spain where it would bake in the sun smelling the place out.

When I worked in retail, i used to hate having to open the shutters of the shops, they were on Henry st and Grafton st so guaranteed to be covered in piss from the night before, probably better to piss in the middle of the street and not against a shop shutter.
    now Im just rambling, Endas back, WOOOHOOO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Ok ,

... i noticed a guy getting arrested for fighting , two men pissing openly facing the road (yes i caught an eyeful of both), one girl pissing on the street, and a a guy who was sexually stimulating a girl with his hands..this was all within about 500m of each other. Almost everyone on the street was polluted drunk, nobody seemed to care, and everyone seemed it normal

My girlfriend ( from India) was absolutely horrified , she'd never seen such behaviour. I have many foreign friends and they all say the same thing, Ireland is a good country, but a lot (not all) of the people here behave like children.

I suppose my question is, whats gone wrong with this country?? How can people behave in such a way, why dont the police become stricter? why dont people face consequences as such? why is this type of behaviour considered ok

We're either liberated or lawless...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

It's sort of worrying how defensive everyone is getting about the OPs valid points.

A lot of Irish towns are ****ing horrible places at the weekend. We just love acting like animals and making clowns of ourselves (but we call it "the craic" and wear it like a badge of honour, so it's ok).

It's part of the reason i just gave up going out a few years ago, it's simply depressing and ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,372 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

lawlolawl wrote: »
    It's sort of worrying how defensive everyone is getting about the OPs valid points.

A lot of Irish towns are ****ing horrible places at the weekend. We just love acting like animals and making clowns of ourselves (but we call it "the craic" and wear it like a badge of honour, so it's ok).

It's part of the reason i just gave up going out a few years ago, it's simply depressing and ****e.

i dont think anybody is under any illusions about the unacceptable carry-on that takes place late at night in Ireland. It was more that somebody from India would be horrified by this that is the bemusing part.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

OP, you should explain to your good lady that in Ireland, the law is a temporary class of a thing to keep things in check until the Looderamawns get their act together. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,874 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

In india they have to put adverts out to not sh1t in the streets, a few people p1ssing should only have reminded her of home before thinking how god damn lucky she is to be in Europe

they even have a song :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement