Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The New Ireland

Options
  • 06-05-2016 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭

Ok ,

So i was driving home Sunday Night from Watching a movie in the cinema (Captain America Civil War : Great movie btw, advise to check it out)

But something struck me

I am from a smallish town, approx 5000 people...and in driving through the main street i noticed a guy getting arrested for fighting , two men pissing openly facing the road (yes i caught an eyeful of both), one girl pissing on the street, and a a guy who was sexually stimulating a girl with his hands..this was all within about 500m of each other. Almost everyone on the street was polluted drunk, nobody seemed to care, and everyone seemed it normal

My girlfriend ( from India) was absolutely horrified , she'd never seen such behaviour. I have many foreign friends and they all say the same thing, Ireland is a good country, but a lot (not all) of the people here behave like children.

I suppose my question is, whats gone wrong with this country?? How can people behave in such a way, why dont the police become stricter? why dont people face consequences as such? why is this type of behaviour considered ok

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

There isn't much new about any of the Hardy Buckery thus described. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

pone2012 wrote: »
    I am from a smallish town, approx 5000 people...and in driving through the main street i noticed a guy getting arrested for fighting , two men pissing openly facing the road (yes i caught an eyeful of both), one girl pissing on the street, and a a guy who was sexually stimulating a girl with his hands..this was all within about 500m of each other.

Do you have a dashcam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

What kids do you know that sexually stimulant each other with their hands in public places?

Anyway I'm sure if you go to another country, India, or wherever else your horrified friends are from, you'll see lots of behaviours there you've never seen before and be horrified by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I'm sure you would be more horrified walking around certain parts of India

no country is perfect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Sounds like things haven't change much at all in the past 15 years. At least we had the excuse that we had loads of money back in the boom and were off our tits most the time because of that money we had.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

My girlfriend ( from India) was absolutely horrified , she'd never seen such behaviour.

Seriously? Do you or her know what goes on in India?

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Seriously? Do you or her know what goes on in India?

Much like here, the better-off folk do an excellent job of hiding it from themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Loose morals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I thought New Ireland was an Insurance Company

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Go on, caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

My girlfriend ( from India) was absolutely horrified , she'd never seen such behaviour. I have many foreign friends and they all say the same thing, Ireland is a good country, but a lot (not all) of the people here behave like children.

Try searching for "gang rape in India" or "witch in India" and just look at the amount of results returned

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Not that New of an Ireland. Enda just got back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I don't believe you, where did it happen, just so I can see for myself and be disgusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,265 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ok ,

So i was driving home Sunday Night from Watching a movie in the cinema (Captain America Civil War : Great movie btw, advise to check it out)

But something struck me

I am from a smallish town, approx 5000 people...and in driving through the main street i noticed a guy getting arrested for fighting , two men pissing openly facing the road (yes i caught an eyeful of both), one girl pissing on the street, and a a guy who was sexually stimulating a girl with his hands..this was all within about 500m of each other. Almost everyone on the street was polluted drunk, nobody seemed to care, and everyone seemed it normal

I suppose my question is, whats gone wrong with this country?? How can people behave in such a way, why dont the police become stricter? why dont people face consequences as such? why is this type of behaviour considered ok

"New" Ireland...? In what way is this in any way "new"?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

drake70 wrote: »
    Try searching for...

The sinister, violent misogyny among some Indian males that's come to light in recent years sounds like that hated phrase, "Rape Culture", and makes a few drunken young apes running the length of the street in Hardy Buck-ville of a Saturday night look like the relatively harmless piece of pantomime that it is.

India is a cesspit. The definition of a failed state.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Ok ,

<snip>

How can people behave in such a way, why dont the police become stricter? why dont people face consequences as such?

As others have said, this is nothing new. As for having the police become stricter - in the examples you've listed there's only case of someone causing harm to someone else, and he was arrested.

All of the others may be unsightly and unseemly, but I'd rather the Gardaí spend their time locking up people who cause physical damage to people and property - and they've got plenty of that to occupy their time.

I'm a big advocate of people taking responsibility for their own actions, I don't think we need the Gardaí to become moral guardians of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Sure tis all just harmless fun.

A bit of craic and banter, what people love about Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭williestroker1

Sounds like my kinda town:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Wow, some of the responses are truly spectacular

She was horrified that people can literally urinate, instigate sex and beat the living hell out of each other all within 500m with police present and pretty much standing idly as if its nothing...but this was not about her opinion

This was about my analysis of the situation..hence the questions I asked..If i wanted to slate India..id have started a 'how dare she thread'....rather, im interested in peoples opinions on the phenomena observed

I must admit im amused as to how people immediately began slating India..this is a discussion about Ireland..I dont live in India, therefore dont care for discussion on the topic

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

osarusan wrote: »
    Sure tis all just harmless fun.

A bit of craic and banter, what people love about Ireland.

It's classless behaviour and reinforces the drunken thick savage mick stereotype.

I'm saying this as somebody who has acted disgracefully in public in the not so distant past.

It's classless behaviour and reinforces the drunken thick savage mick stereotype.

I'm saying this as somebody who has acted disgracefully in public in the not so distant past.

I'd rather have a drunkey stereotype than a gang rapey one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Wow, some of the responses are truly spectacular

She was horrified that people can literally urinate, instigate sex and beat the living hell out of each other all within 500m with police present and pretty much standing idly as if its nothing...but this was not about her opinion

This was about my analysis of the situation..hence the questions I asked..If i wanted to slate India..id have started a 'how dare she thread'....rather, im interested in peoples opinions on the phenomena observed

I must admit im amused as to how people immediately began slating India..this is a discussion about Ireland..I dont live in India, therefore dont care for discussion on the topic

Do you know who mentioned India first in this thread? You.

Thus it becomes part of the discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Why would you bring her nationality into it and mention how she's never seen the likes of it, but be so defensive when people point out how she's probably used to seeing much worse than drunken fools on a Saturday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

I didnt bring her nationality specifically for a comparision...rather i put it in brackets to indicate shes not from here, i mentioned this one incident and then mentioned ive many friends from other countries, both developing and developed..which have all stated the same thing

So, again i reiterate, id prefer to discuss the phenomena observered rather than a comparative analysis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I hate this reaction. "We're doing bad stuff, but they do bad stuff too, so we can continue doing our bad thing."

I complain about getting groped in pubs.
    In Saudi Arabia you wouldn't be allowed in a pub!
    So I should be happy about getting groped?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

New Ireland is an island in Papua New Guinea.

Now go on OP, tell us more of this sexually stimulation using the hands bit of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Guards tend to prioritise on a bank holiday sunday night. They could deal with every single crime but the crimes you mentioned are fairly minor, public urination and some dry humping. Socially unacceptable during the day but at night you can be sure that one or both of those groups would have turned a simple warning into a diatribe of rights they saw on law and order. So guards tend to keep an eye out for violence and prioritise dealing with that.

When I came home after an extended time away I came into Galway on a saturday night and it was mayhem (this was 10 years ago). I hadn't seen anything like it in two months traveling around Europe. But you talk to just about any foreigner and they love that mayhem. It's been wiped out in many countries.

• Advertisement

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I hate this reaction. "We're doing bad stuff, but they do bad stuff too, so we can continue doing our bad thing."

I complain about getting groped in pubs.
    In Saudi Arabia you wouldn't be allowed in a pub!
    So I should be happy about getting groped?

The guy is exaggerating. Making Ireland out to be some lawless bandlands. We're obviously going to bring up India given the complainee was Indian.

Advertisement