Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budweiser hangover

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Beer snobbery is an odd odd snobbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Tune in next week for(my wheelie bin is fancier than yours).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

People who talk all flowery and fantasy about the different craft beers, and go on comparing the different wines and spirits are just talking horse sh*t and trying to lord it over us.

The probably have beards, wear lots of tweed & wooly jumpers & smoke a pipe too.

They're bull sh*tters.

Alcohol is alcohol, mostly its lovely stuff but too much of a good thing is a bad thing and its that simple.

Don't let people dazzle you with fancy German names, or cosy Austrian village bars & Belgian bullshit this, that and the other ~ they're talking through their holes.

Too much alcohol = hangover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Jamsiek wrote: »
    I remember the most popular beer in the North was Harp and Caffreys was popular too. It's been a while since I last drank there though
    Is Harp sold in the south? It was brewed in Dundalk but I don't think that's the case anymore..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Harp has to give the absolute worst hangover ever. It really is toxic stuff.

I lived in Dundalk in the early 90's and it was always on promotion so was the drink of choice for us students.

Damn it was bad.

I still feel a bit ill when I'm up north and hear someone ordering pints of the stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

_Brian wrote: »

I lived in Dundalk in the early 90's and it was always on promotion so was the drink of choice for us students.

Damn it was bad.

I still feel a bit ill when I'm up north and hear someone ordering pints of the stuff.
    It's pure dish water like... disgusting stuff

armaghlad wrote: »
    Is Harp sold in the south? It was brewed in Dundalk but I don't think that's the case anymore..

Some places have it. My local country pub has always had it for some reason.

It's actually a nice beer, often used to buy cans of it before Bavaria came along and always drink it in the north or in Scotland if I'm in either of them places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

_Brian wrote: »

Damn it was bad.

Harp will give you a hangover as you're drinking it, it doesnt even wait until the next morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

People who talk all flowery and fantasy about the different craft beers, and go on comparing the different wines and spirits are just talking horse sh*t and trying to lord it over us.

The probably have beards, wear lots of tweed & wooly jumpers & smoke a pipe too.

They're bull sh*tters.

Alcohol is alcohol, mostly its lovely stuff but too much of a good thing is a bad thing and its that simple.

Don't let people dazzle you with fancy German names, or cosy Austrian village bars & Belgian bullshit this, that and the other ~ they're talking through their holes.
    In other words you don't like beer?
    At least you got this part right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Yeah, thats a nonsense post by Makikomi. As if there is no differences in ingredients, quality, brewing process etc. Some beers are superior to others as it is with wine, cheese, burgers, singers, whatever.

• Advertisement

In other words you don't like beer?

You were too busy grooming your awesome beard & waxing your Brooks B17 saddle on your fixie bike to have read what I typed weren't you?.

Right I'm off to get an eight pack of Druids cider and sit out in this rare sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

You were too busy grooming your awesome beard & waxing your Brooks B17 saddle on your fixie bike to have read what I typed weren't you?.
    You could at least have some manners.

I read your post perfectly well. Saying that alcohol is alcohol is implying that you haven't tried a great enough variety of beers to tell the difference. And saying that people who talk positively about all the different craft beers are talking horseshit is horseshit in itself. People tend to talk about what interests them, and most of these people tend to know what they're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I read your post perfectly well. Saying that alcohol is alcohol is implying that you haven't tried a great enough variety of beers to tell the difference. And saying that people who talk positively about all the different craft beers are talking horseshit is horseshit in itself. People tend to talk about what interests them, and most of these people tend to know what they're talking about.
    Exactly, throw a sweeping generalisation out there about people who like different types of beers to a lot of the piss sold on tap in most pubs and then get wanky when questioned on it.

You could at least have some manners..

''Manners'', lighten up there buddy I'm having the bleed'n craic.

Jesus, hipsters and their self twisting knickers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭flutered

take a decco at any of the watch fourms, there is snobbery and snobbery, beer snobbery wouldnt hold a candle to them snobs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭flutered

i have a cousin in the u.s. he can consume copious amounts of it, the fecker is almost 80, he can still put many young fellas to sleep, it is quite plentiful in the washington dc area

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Methanol is an alcohol, ethanol is an alcohol. I would not say they are all the same and have the same effect, and your beer and cider will have methanol in it in vary amounts, so its not some smart pedantic comment about methanol being an alcohol. There are lots of other compounds produced too which will give ill effects. Some may even reduce hangover, so some drink high in these byproducts could give less hangover than a very pure spirit like skyy vodka.
    Right I'm off to get an eight pack of Druids cider and sit out in this rare sunshine.
    Apple juice is naturally high in pectin, they often add in more pectin to help the apple juice clear. Brews with lots of pectin result in methanol being produced along with pectin.

This is why ciders are more reknowned for giving hangovers, there is even a term called "apple palsy" describing the effects of cider or "apple brandy"/"apple jack"

To cut costs brewers will increase fermentation temperatures to speed things up which can produce way more of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

There's no evidence that craft beer drinkers know what they are talking about. None are experts. I've had some atrocious craft beer and some good craft beer. The quality control within brands isn't great either.

But beer, unlike other alcohol like whiskey, spirits and wine , doesn't really show major price differences between the top and mass market stuff. Craft beer is slightly more expensive and that's probably down to lower volumes having higher costs, not the materials, rarity or production values.

rubadub wrote: »
    Methanol is an alcohol, ethanol is an alcohol.

Ok Heisenberg :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

I haven't seen much of it in the south, I think some older places might have it

• Advertisement

It's actually a nice beer, often used to buy cans of it before Bavaria came along and always drink it in the north or in Scotland if I'm in either of them places.
    I don't remember seeing Harp in Scotland when I lived there. The Irish bars I went to served Guinness, Kilkenny or Magners. I haven't drank it in a long time. I'd be curious to give it a try again.

I don't remember seeing Harp in Scotland when I lived there. The Irish bars I went to served Guinness, Kilkenny or Magners. I haven't drank it in a long time. I'd be curious to give it a try again.

It was in most of the pubs we drank in in Edinburgh the times we were over there (finnegans and dropkick Murphys being two I can remember the name of). Would be going back 7 or 8 years now since we were there last though..

There's no evidence that craft beer drinkers know what they are talking about. None are experts. I've had some atrocious craft beer and some good craft beer. The quality control within brands isn't great either.
    Not necessarily true. Where I live, beer production is taken very seriously as there is a massive selection of beers here.
    Many beer companies here win awards for the standard of beer and take a lot of pride in it.

I agree with your point that there are good and bad beers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Op, I think it must be said that you have woken up sadder, bud weiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

You aint missing much, so I wouldn't bother.

As for Budweiser, it was one of my go to beers when I started drinking years ago. Hate the stuff now, and would rather drink my own piss. Even amongst the "standard" lagers there are so many better beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Whatever happened to Budweiser Ice on draught??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 726 ✭✭✭RIGHTisRIGHT

mikeym wrote: »
    Whatever happened to Budweiser Ice on draught??

Global warming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

They're bull sh*tters.

http://www.irishtimes.com/polopoly_fs/1.1720966.1394562629!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/box_620_330/image.jpg

Holding out the paw for a Paulaner :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Budweiser is made from rice, which made me very suspicous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Budweiser is made from rice, which made me very suspicous.

And horse piss, don't forget the horse piss:D

Advertisement