Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone in exam hall dilemma?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Why assume the worst? I'm already in wrecks over this already and all you could provide was some BS made up scenario where I attempted to cheat and lied this entire post, and you're telling me to get real?

I said I wasn't assuming the worst. I'm looking at all possibilities here and then to assist you in what the outcome will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Anonstudent123

callaway92 wrote: »
    I'll echo this question actually

Also how did you know what I was studying? You said business right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

Well you've just told us all now

I guessed School of Business, not Business the course itself, but ok. You do Business, thanks.

I'd probably be able to put you in contact with the best people to get you out of the situation if I knew your course is all. Your attitude didn't really help though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Lad was caught with a phone back in my day. Has almost done ten years in solitary at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Anonstudent123

I guessed School of Business, not Business the course itself, but ok. You do Business, thanks.

I'd probably be able to put you in contact with the best people to get you out of the situation if I knew your course is all. Your attitude didn't really help though!!!
    There are many Business courses, level 6,7 and 8 and most are made up of 2 or 3 classes. So in case you thought that was some incentive to find out who I am no it wasn't because it wasn't very specific anyway.

There are many Business courses, level 6,7 and 8 and most are made up of 2 or 3 classes. So in case you thought that was some incentive to find out who I am no it wasn't because it wasn't very specific anyway.

Jesus Christ. I was saying if I knew your course I could get the right person to help you in your situation, no other reason!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

I wasn't on the phone nor did I take it out of my pocket. It was in my back pocket switched off. The vigilator just happened to notice it in my back pocket and asked me to take it out and give it to her. I only took it in because I was afraid it would get stolen.

So the vigilator was looking at your arse, i think you may have a case of sexual harrassment :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

Exams are stressful enough without this hassle - I'd be very surprised if they impose any penalties on you over this. You weren't caught on the phone.

Is there s Chaplin or student support services who might be able to knock on a few doors to sort this out for you. You need to push this aside and try to focus on your other exams

If your work was a reasonable standard and you had a decent relationship with your lecturers they will vouch for you

Best of luck - it will work out so try to stay calm

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

DK man wrote: »
    Is there s Chaplin
    There is, but apparently he's a bit of a Charlie...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

some busybodies are sticking their nose in where it isn't wanted then getting annoyed when I ignore their post which I clearly specified I didn't want people posting BS on this

Honestly OP - I think you need to grow up a little. You came a public forum and asked a question. Everyone is entitled ot give you their opinion, even if you don't like it.

Several people, myself included have told you nothing will happen and to get on with it. You don't seem to want the reassurance you seeked in the original post so I'm not sure what you want from this thread but to be blunt, no one here is your mammy. No one here has a vested interested in babying you.

This is the internet. People are going to have different opinions and - OMG- People are even going to troll you.

Amazingly though you hold the power by A) Accept nothing is going to happen and move on, B) Stopping getting all offended by someone on the internet saying mean things to you. C) Stop replying.

Or, you can keep going and getting yourself worked up over words on a screen from a person you'll never meet. Eitherway, I'm off to bed. Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

Jesus Christ. I was saying if I knew your course I could get the right person to help you in your situation, no other reason!!!!

Dunno how the OP couldn't see you were trying to help his situation, He won't thank you but I wish I had someone like you helping if I ever needed it. ;)

As for the OP, often they fine students in this situation, So wouldnt be suprised if a fine was in the post for the 30th :o

OP, there are rules in every aspect of life. You broke one. If you broke as important a rule in your worklife, you would find yourself in more serious trouble. Don't think people who point out the error of your action to you are simply trolls. Student life is not just about passing exams. It helps students learn life lessons, as in how to follow rules in the workplace. It has been pointed out to you more than once that what you did was wrong. It is most likely that nothing will come of it. You have learned a hard lesson (hopefully). Put it behind you and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 m21

This happened to someone in my course 2 years ago in WIT.he filled in the form and explained he forgt he had the phone.he heard no more about it.focus on you next exam and if your really worried about it contact your course leader and explain what happened

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

m21 wrote: »
    This happened to someone in my course 2 years ago in WIT.he filled in the form and explained he forgt he had the phone.he heard no more about it.focus on you next exam and if your really worried about it contact your course leader and explain what happened

It was an honest mistake, and if the OP had no previous issues in other exams then the Examinations people will take that into account.

There is useful advice in some of the posts:
    *Don't get stressed over this
    *Concentrate on the next one
    *Talk to a counsellor, course director if something does come back at you
    *Finish the exams
    *Enjoy the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

What's the dilemma?

You were caught with a phone during exams. You were processed efficiently by the invigilator. You were made aware of the procedures.

Several people on here have adding their opinions that you'll be grand.

What else do you need? Go study for the rest of your exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

You should accept that you will probably have to repeat the exam. Bringing a phone in to an exam is no different than bringing in cheat sheets so there is no reason why they would let you off. If someone was caught with cheat sheets would you let them off because they weren't spotted using them.
    Repeating exams is no big deal and would be better than having marks deducted, you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

AlanG wrote: »
    You should accept that you will probably have to repeat the exam. Bringing a phone in to an exam is no different than bringing in cheat sheets so there is no reason why they would let you off. If someone was caught with cheat sheets would you let them off because they weren't spotted using them.
    Repeating exams is no big deal and would be better than having marks deducted, you should be fine.

Most people have said he'll be fine. I'd concur.

But, if he did have to repeat it might be the case that his grade would be capped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

All you keyboard warriors are literally patronising me even though I quite clearly seen the error of my ways and admitted this? I simply f**king posted asking for advice and half you trolls gave me your patronising BS anyway even though I warned you in my original post that I was already aware and didn't want to hear it. Now if anyone else posts about the regulations or penalties I'll be forced to ask the admin to remove you from this thread. Anyone else who can offer some reassurance and proper non condescending BS opinions, that would be much appreciated. I'll also specify that a lot of you seem so easy to jump to conclusions with literally little background and any educated person would inquire about all the facts before assuming they know the full story. Now leave if you can't keep your mouth closedðŸ‘ðŸ»

Aye. Rules is rules...

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭irish_dave_83

I presume you told them the battery was dead. Did you demonstrate this to the official or get them to try and turn it on? if so get the official to put it in writing that they were satisfied that the battery was dead at the time of confiscation. That should help with any appeal you may need in the future.

While you broke the rules, they don't have to impose harsher penalties if they are satisfied that it was an honest mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

I presume you told them the battery was dead. Did you demonstrate this to the official or get them to try and turn it on? if so get the official to put it in writing that they were satisfied that the battery was dead at the time of confiscation. That should help with any appeal you may need in the future.

If all that was to happen it would have to happen in the after the exam part of this scenario, not when he was giving name and number at confiscation. Because if I was another student sitting this exam and he start discussing with the invigilator about the phone during the exam I'd be rightly pee'd off.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭irish_dave_83

If all that was to happen it would have to happen in the after the exam part of this scenario, not when he was giving name and number at confiscation. Because if I was another student sitting this exam and he start discussing with the invigilator about the phone during the exam I'd be rightly pee'd off.

I wasn't clear, I meant the person who they collected the phone from after the exam. A statement from them. Its not full proof but it does give them some sort meat on an appeal, it will bring doubt to any cheating assumption, which is the point of the rules in the first place. The OP may not have satisfied the official in the first place anyway, so it would be too late now.

I was just putting forward course of action that he could take to help mitigate the penalty. If they can get a fine, instead of a resit or reduction in marks, I would call that a win in the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭NaNaNa1

I've seen people walk into the exam hall in WIT before with dead phones in their pocket but have given it up to the examiners at the beginning. They get them back directly at the end and not a word is said. They always give you ample opportunity to give it to them and the SU even offer storage in office for them. No phones in the exam room is one of the highly publicized rules in WIT and even though it's not always followed, they will punish anyone they catch breaking the rules. Anxiety or not, you broke the rules and WIT will delve whatever punishment they deem necessary. It's in your best interest to get in contact with the SU as they can act as your representative and stand up for your case. It doesn't seem like you did it maliciously but you strongly need to prove to them this and having the SU on your side would be a big help in case.

The biggest reason for the no phone rule is that you could easily have gone to the bathroom mid exam and had all your notes on it. (I'm not saying you did but it's a possibility for others). It's also very easy to fake a dead phone and this is another reason why NO technologies (other then calculators and believe me they can get tetchy about them too) are allowed in. WIT have to make sure that all students are given equal opportunity to be examined fairly and this is why there rules are in place.

I wish you all the best but it's a lesson for all of us not to break the almost number one rule of the exam hall; It's not worth the extra anxiety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

NaNaNa1 wrote: »
    I've seen people walk into the exam hall in WIT before with dead phones in their pocket but have given it up to the examiners at the beginning. They get them back directly at the end and not a word is said. They always give you ample opportunity to give it to them and the SU even offer storage in office for them. No phones in the exam room is one of the highly publicized rules in WIT and even though it's not always followed, they will punish anyone they catch breaking the rules. Anxiety or not, you broke the rules and WIT will delve whatever punishment they deem necessary. It's in your best interest to get in contact with the SU as they can act as your representative and stand up for your case. It doesn't seem like you did it maliciously but you strongly need to prove to them this and having the SU on your side would be a big help in case.

The biggest reason for the no phone rule is that you could easily have gone to the bathroom mid exam and had all your notes on it. (I'm not saying you did but it's a possibility for others). It's also very easy to fake a dead phone and this is another reason why NO technologies (other then calculators and believe me they can get tetchy about them too) are allowed in. WIT have to make sure that all students are given equal opportunity to be examined fairly and this is why there rules are in place.

I wish you all the best but it's a lesson for all of us not to break the almost number one rule of the exam hall; It's not worth the extra anxiety.

Great post, well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

NaNaNa1 wrote: »

Bets the OP tried to remove your post from the thread :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

DaraDali wrote: »
    Bets the OP tried to remove your post from the thread :p

Yeah, trolling an innocent student, should be ashamed of yourself! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Ah sure it's only WIT. Not a real college

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Kinda arsey comment.

Where you go college? and what did you study?

Waiting for I went to a 'real' college and spent 4 years doing an Arts degree :p

edit: Yeah just checked your post history, you're an Arts student.
    Name: Brian
    Course: BA in English (Ugh) and History, MA Irish History
    Distinguishing features: I'm that guy that's always complaining about the lack of computers on campus
    Anything else: Considering starting a PhD in January, but I don't know if I can do another 4 years in Maynooth. It's a great university, but it might just be time for a change!

Don't think you can be looking down on anyone mister!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Play Nicely kids - OP, chill out and wait to see what happens (if anything) No need in getting stressed over something that might be nothing.

Thread Locked, be happy I haven't waved the banning stick.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement