Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome new Maynoothians!

Options
  • 18-08-2015 11:27am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We don't seem to have a thread like this yet so I figured that, now the CAO offers are out, I'd get it up and running. I know some people get nervous about going into Maynooth without knowing anyone so here's your head start! :-)

Hopefully now we'll have some posters who are actually in the college!

I'll start the intros:
    Name: Síomha
    Course: graduated now but did study Law and History
    Distinguishing features: Nostalgia. Now that I'm never in Maynooth anymore for you to actually see me!
    Anything else?: I'm your moderator here (along with Thwip! who never shows up anymore) so be good kids! MCR doesn't like using her ban hammer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

Welcome Freshers :D

Name: Mark
    Course: Computer Science and Software Engineering, going into 4th year now! (Where did the time go :o)
    Distinguishing features: Being locked up in a 4th year lab for the next year solid :o
    Anything else?: I do pretty much everything in the college so you might run in to me somewhere. I work orientation week as a tour guide, I demonstrate in the Computer Science Department, do Coder Dojo, am a class rep for Computer Science and in a few societies likes Games Soc, MiNDS and a few others.

EDIT: I will also be one of the coordinators at the HEAR/DARE Launchpad orientation, so any freshers coming into that with any questions, give me a shout! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭racersedge

Name: Philip
    Course: Early Childhood: Teaching and Learning: - First Year
    Distinguishing features: Going to be one of just a few, possibly if not the only, male on that particular course! (can correct that statement when I get in!)
    Anything else?: Heading back to the college life, albeit in a part-time capacity. Actually have a degree in Journalism from my earlier educational ventures. Career went down a different path so here I am to put the icing in the cake having just finish the Level 6 in this field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Name Kellie
    Age Old, but not as old as banquo :pac:
    Course BA (English & Geography) MSc Climate Change, no longer a student but still about the place
    Distinguishing features I have no idea what to put
    Anything else I loved my time in Maynooth and still post here, but not in DCU forum, where I'm actually a registered student....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Name: Graham
    Course: PhD (History)
    Distinguishing features: Extraordinarily handsome, tall, etc., etc. A young Harrison Ford, or so they say.
    Anything else: I work at the Computer Centre desk in the library so if you have a problem with printing or your laptop, you should probably go elsewhere.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Name: Steve
    Age: Older than I look, not as old as I feel, probably older than you, definitely older than my teeth, about the same age as my tongue.
    Course: PhD
    Distinguishing features: I have none. I'm like a ninja. You ain't seen me. Wink wink.
    Anything else: I have been going to the National University of Ireland Maynooth for seven years. I'm about to start my eighth year in the National University of Ireland Maynooth, or NUIM for short. At NUIM (National University of Ireland Maynooth) I studied some subjects, English was awful. I learned that you should study what you love, because a degree isn't going to get you a job, so do what you love, do it well, then do a masters in something that'll get you a job, preferably a masters from the National University of Ireland Maynooth. The National University of Ireland Maynooth (NUIM) has numerous fine courses, and almost every person in it is awesome, which is good to have for a National University of Ireland which is in Maynooth. I also don't like change, and have taken to wearing my National University of Ireland Maynooth (NUIM), (NUI Maynooth) hoodie far more than is warranted. I've grown very attached to it. I don't want to pay for a new one. Ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Name: Rob.

Course: Wasn't so much a course as it was basically a big daycare centre for young people.

Distinguishing Features: These days I'm more distinguished for my absence.

Anything else: F*ck the youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Name: Brian
    Course: BA in English (Ugh) and History, MA Irish History
    Distinguishing features: I'm that guy that's always complaining about the lack of computers on campus
    Anything else: Considering starting a PhD in January, but I don't know if I can do another 4 years in Maynooth. It's a great university, but it might just be time for a change!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

I assume it's ok to post in here if going to be a fresher?

Name:Mark
    Age:23 (cause apparently you're only mature once you turn 23 :P)
    Course: Going into first year of Science with Education after doing 3 years of a Science Degree in Galway so if you need help with Chem or Biochem stuff, ask?
    Distinguishing Features: Really jet black hair, like coal has nothing on this sh1t, beard, glasses and a laugh that sounds like I'm on the verge of completing total world domination. Oh, and a really mischievous smile apparently
    Anything Else: Was in NUI Galway for 3 years doing Science, while there I managed to somehow be elected to the SU Officer Board, get on radio, run a club and society as well as set up a conference and organisation for student radio so you may hear me rambling on the Mars FM station sometime soon :P Complete gaming, comic and anime geek who will almost definitely be joining half the societies and clubs because I can't get enough of that! :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

This thread was set up for freshers! Welcome! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

Name: Ronan
    Course: Beginning a Masters
    Distinguishing features: Meet me outside the Roost at 2 am on a cold Thursday night and I'll show ya
    Anything else?: I've been a student in Maynooth since 2007. I don't think I'll ever leave.

They won't let me leave. Please, somebody help me.

Advice to any freshers out there reading this, if you have chosen Arts on the CAO and are looking for subjects to choose, why not give Geography a go. The Geography department in NUIM is the best in the country, and one of the best in Europe. The lectures are interesting and interactive, and if you continue through second and third year with Geography, you'll find a wide variety of interesting postgraduate courses with excellent job opportunities.

Wow I actually sound like a shill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

jungleman wrote: »
    Name: Ronan
    Course: Beginning a Masters
    Distinguishing features: Meet me outside the Roost at 2 am on a cold Thursday night and I'll show ya
    Anything else?: I've been a student in Maynooth since 2007. I don't think I'll ever leave.

They won't let me leave. Please, somebody help me.

Advice to any freshers out there reading this, if you have chosen Arts on the CAO and are looking for subjects to choose, why not give Geography a go. The Geography department in NUIM is the best in the country, and one of the best in Europe. The lectures are interesting and interactive, and if you continue through second and third year with Geography, you'll find a wide variety of interesting postgraduate courses with excellent job opportunities.

Wow I actually sound like a shill.

Also, you may/will have Mark Boyle or Adrian Kavanagh as lecturers. In my three years in Maynooth, they were both by far the best.

Make sure you do all of Adrian's political geography modules. The detail he puts into his lectures and the passion he has is incredible.

Found this through one of the SU officers.

Guide for New Students

Also, you may/will have Mark Boyle or Adrian Kavanagh as lecturers. In my three years in Maynooth, they were both by far the best.

Make sure you do all of Adrian's political geography modules. The detail he puts into his lectures and the passion he has is incredible.

Mark Boyle Appreciation Page
    <333333

One of the greatest men to have ever lived, and Nelson Mandela.

SuvPGOu.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Mark Boyle Appreciation Page
    <333333

One of the greatest men to have ever lived, and Nelson Mandela.

SuvPGOu.png

I had him as a tutor in third year. I remember going into a meeting about my thesis with a certain idea. 20 minutes with him had me convinced that I needed to go in a completely different direction.

A gentleman and a fantastic lecturer. His accent makes it.

I had him as a tutor in third year. I remember going into a meeting about my thesis with a certain idea. 20 minutes with him had me convinced that I needed to go in a completely different direction.

A gentleman and a fantastic lecturer. His accent makes it.

Modernnn Wessshhhtern Society

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

We don't seem to have a thread like this yet so I figured that, now the CAO offers are out, I'd get it up and running. I know some people get nervous about going into Maynooth without knowing anyone so here's your head start! :-)

Hopefully now we'll have some posters who are actually in the college!

I'll start the intros:
    Name: Síomha
    Course: graduated now but did study Law and History
    Distinguishing features: Nostalgia. Now that I'm never in Maynooth anymore for you to actually see me!
    Anything else?: I'm your moderator here (along with Thwip! who never shows up anymore) so be good kids! MCR doesn't like using her ban hammer.

*Spider-Sense tingles*

Modernnn Wessshhhtern Society

The DEMOGRAPHIC TRANSITION MOH-DEL!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Mark Boyle is the definition of a gentleman and a scholar. I loved the Geography department, they were so genuinely wonderful when I did my MSc with them, I was quite ill and lost two people very close to me and they were just phenomenal.

People should join the Facebook Group

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Does someone need to rename the facebook group, too?

• Advertisement

How so Joe wrote: »
    Does someone need to rename the facebook group, too?

NO

I refuse to join Facebook to join a Facebook group that's putting this perfectly acceptable and functional forum out of work. It's like those machines in the bank, replacing real people. Boooooo to Facebook.

Plus some doojeen is spamming every single post on that page.

And about one person posts on it every 6 months :pac:

Well you're all no craic.

Though said dojeen is the only reason that I remembered that group still even existed!

Anybody know how to get eduroam working these days? I was in TCD the other day (passing through, used the toilets, I'm not defecting I swear) and tried to get on using nuim.ie and mumail.ie, and neither worked.

mickstupp wrote: »
    Anybody know how to get eduroam working these days? I was in TCD the other day (passing through, used the toilets, I'm not defecting I swear) and tried to get on using nuim.ie and mumail.ie, and neither worked.

Student number and password as follows:

Username: 14xxxxxx@nuim.ie

and

the password you use to login to your email, usually 3 letters and 4 numbers.

Well then it must have been a problem in TCD. I tried it like that with nuim.ie, and with mumail.ie, neither worked.

mickstupp wrote: »
    Well then it must have been a problem in TCD. I tried it like that with nuim.ie, and with mumail.ie, neither worked.

Are you still a registered student with Maynooth?

• Advertisement

Yes.

It works in Maynooth (usually), it worked in TCD before. It has worked in far flung locations such as Bristol and Nottingham. But it did not work the other day. I thought it was due to the change from nuim.ie to mumail.ie... but maybe it was just TCD being wonky the other day.

EDIT: I've just copped that I started this question in entirely the wrong thread! Apologies!

Advertisement