Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone in exam hall dilemma?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

You can't bring your phone into an exam. It's against the rules lol

No its not as long as its off and can be seen in front of you then there is no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

.. how incompetent the invigilators seemed carrying out this investigation.

Incompetent?!? I'd say they were very competent, spotting a turned off phone in a pocket!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭c_meth

sure they could have eaten a piece of paper with notes on it only seconds earlier too? But it's what you catch them with isn't it? And was OP caught with a source of information.. I don't think a mobile phone without battery is a source of information

No, I wouldn't agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Update: Forgot to specify that when I asked another invigilator where I could collect my phone and she told me I had asked her would it affect my marks and she said no so I just assumed I was safe? Does anyone know if I could use this if it were to go further. Sorry I didn't specify it earlier because I didn't think it was worth noting but now that people have said about how incompetent the invigilators seemed carrying out this investigation.

Jesus man, I know you're panicking but as most people have assured you, you are almost always gonna be fine in this situation. They will bring it no further. That thing they said that it will be sorted before the 30th is probably BS since the course boards are on the 20th and results are 100% sorted then (usually sorted a couple of days before hand).

Nothing will come of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Incompetent?!? I'd say they were very competent, spotting a turned off phone in a pocket!

When the **** did I say that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

This is a tricky one. Even though you weren't intend on anything malicious the invigilator doesn't know that; and that's the position they take in these scenarios... though how exactly they think people can pull a phone out of their back pocket mid exam and look at it without being seen is beyond me.

I'd speak to the SU if you haven't already, possibly seek medical advice for stress and try and focus on remaining exams for now.

c_meth wrote: »
    No, I wouldn't agree.

You're saying that a mobile phone with no battery is a source of information? So is a blank piece of paper with no notes on it also a source of information?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Anonstudent123

Would a competent individual ask someone to sign a serious form whilst they're trying to focus on their exam and then not allow them to read clearly what they had just signed??

When the **** did I say that?

Chill out. I'm not sure why it quoted it as you you. Boards is acting a bit strange. I'll edit, don't have a canary.

Would a competent individual ask someone to sign a serious form whilst they're trying to focus on their exam and then not allow them to read clearly what they had just signed??

Yes. . They have to acknowledge and document it there and then. What if she caught 7 others with phones. How would she know who's phone is who at the end of the exam?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭c_meth

You're saying that a mobile phone with no battery is a source of information? So is a blank piece of paper with no notes on it also a source of information?

You're having trouble understanding me. I am NOT saying a mobile phone with no battery is a source of information.

I AM saying that there is no way of knowing when the battery expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Dude, this is spilt milk now.

Go speak to a student Rep or similar. You seem to be in a mess judging by your responses on here. You need to get this behind you and then refocus on your upcoming exams.

When is your next exam? Can you request an accelerated investigation in order to get this behind you? Do you have anyone on the teaching staff as a supervisor whom you can chat to.

Either way, this is done now, you need to move on and focus on the upcoming exam. Otherwise, you're penalising yourself in all subsequent exams.

Yes. . They have to acknowledge and document it there and then. What if she caught 7 others with phones. How would she know who's phone is who at the end of the exam?

I'm 100 percent sure you could easily tell the difference between all 7 of their phones. And no, it would have made a lot more sense to have gotten me to sign the form post exam to avoid any further distraction and to ensure I was aware of what I was signing, honestly if you are looking for an argument you can just leave because I didnt ask for one nor do I want one , I simply asked for advice and support and you've been nothing but patronising and condescending.

I'm 100 percent sure you could easily tell the difference between all 7 of their phones. And no, it would have made a lot more sense to have gotten me to sign the form post exam to avoid any further distraction and to ensure I was aware of what I was signing, honestly if you are looking for an argument you can just leave because I didnt ask for one nor do I want one , I simply asked for advice and support and you've been nothing but patronising and condescending.
    Ï'm not looking for an argument. You seem determined to ignore the procedures clearly laid out.

Everyone else is doing it, so it's ok :rolleyes:. Good luck with your exams. I'm out.

c_meth wrote: »
    You're having trouble understanding me. I am NOT saying a mobile phone with no battery is a source of information.

I AM saying that there is no way of knowing when the battery expired.

You're having trouble understanding that you would need to catch someone cheating. If the 'material' they catch them with isn't a source of information, then what rule is it breaking? You can't just say it has the potential to be a source of information, or it could have possibly at some time in the past been a source of information. If it isn't a source of information when they catch you then there's nothing they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

I have invigilated exams, and I've sat exams.

At the start of each exam, there is a warning that you are not allowed have a phone on your person and that anyone caught with a phone will face disciplinary action. Presumably this was announced at the start of the exam. If it wasn't announced at the start of the exam, do you have others who can back you up?

Invigilators are only agents. They follow a process set out for them by academic administration. It is up to others - usually a disciplinary board - to judge the situation. I've caught people cheating in exams - and the case has been passed on to people more senior to me. I have never been told the outcome of the case.

Regarding the piece of paper you signed - was it an attendance sheet? Or was it something else?

You really need to go and speak with the students union. They should have someone well versed in academic regulations - and by default - what happens if someone is caught with something they shouldn't have.

The reality is that phones are banned from exams, not phones with working batteries. Just like notes are banned from exams, you can't claim you should be allowed bring French notes into an engineering exam. You have an obligation to make yourself aware of the various examination regulations. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, regardless of where it is enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭acon2119

You can take your phone and a purse into the exam hall but not a handbag, but you must have the phone completely switched off and leave it on the floor under the desk in clear view of the invigilators

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Thanks to anyone with helpful suggestions. For everyone else on this trying to act smart, I honestly didn't ask to be told the rules again, I'm well aware of them now and specified this so why you insist on trying to keep patronising me, I dont know? I simply am seeking out answers from someone this has happened to previously or anyone that can tell me any informs about what will happen. I'm well aware that bringing a phone in was my own fault so please get down off your high horses.

I'm tempted to point out that all the people who got caught aren't on Boards. They haven't time, what with the split shifts in McDonald's etc.

Honestly, you have got all the info you need already, theres no need to a)Panic
    Or b) get all childish about whether or not the supervisor is competent or not. They were smarter than you to spot the phone after all.

I'm sorry but these things can't operate on common sense. There is no ignorance of the law if there is no law. Some loosely worded 'procedures' listed on a website are not laws. The reality is that if you want to affect a year of somebody's hard work in college it can't be done on a whim.

Maybe OP did read the procedures and decided that a phone without battery is not a source of information. If there is no further text (which is also available to students) outlining in actual legal terms what is and what is not banned, or at least a definition of what is a source of information, then who is anyone to say that OP would be wrong in their interpretation of these procedures?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

This is madness. Ive sat exams there with my phone on in my pocket and also placed on the ground beside me and wouldnt have thought anythin about it.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry but these things can't operate on common sense. There is no ignorance of the law if there is no law. Some loosely worded 'procedures' listed on a website are not laws. The reality is that if you want to affect a year of somebody's hard work in college it can't be done on a whim.

Maybe OP did read the procedures and decided that a phone without battery is not a source of information. If there is no further text (which is also available to students) outlining in actual legal terms what is and what is not banned, or at least a definition of what is a source of information, then who is anyone to say that OP would be wrong in their interpretation of these procedures?
    I said I was out, but **** me!
    Some loosely worded 'procedures' listed on a website are not laws.
    EXAM PROCEDURES & REGULATIONS on WIT website is not "loosely worded procedures from some website"

and

read the text before "source of information" it says and "The candidate shall not bring into the Examination Hall, nor have in their possession"..."[or any devise with a facility to store or display text]"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

OP - I'll say this again as my last post seems to have got overlooked in a myriad of posts.

There is nothing you can do now. It has been done. Do not let it affect your future exams. Go first thing tomorrow and speak to someone in charge - whether in the SU or your faculty. Being proactive can only been seen as a positive. Get it sorted ASAP and knuckle down to the studying again.

From what I've read of the other posts I've read on here I'd close this down and move on. Arguing over this will do nothing for you. (And don't go to speak to someone with an attitude - you'll get screwed by them).

I said I was out, but **** me!

EXAM PROCEDURES & REGULATIONS on WIT website is not "loosely worded procedures from some website"

and

read the text before "source of information" it says and "The candidate shall not bring into the Examination Hall, nor have in their possession"..."[or any devise with a facility to store or display text]"

Can you stop with the theatrics? I don't care if you capitalised it, the exam procedures & regulations are loosely worded, maybe take a look at how actual laws are worded, there is a definition provided for each and every word so there is no room for interpretation.

They also spelled device wrong so I wouldn't put much weight in that part. Does a phone with no battery have the facility to store or display text? My jacket has the facility to store or display text if I wrote on it with a sharpie.

Can you stop with the theatrics? I don't care if you capitalised it, the exam procedures & regulations are loosely worded, maybe take a look at how actual laws are worded, there is a definition provided for each and every word so there is no room for interpretation.

They also spelled device wrong so I wouldn't put much weight in that part. Does a phone with no battery have the facility to store or display text? My jacket has the facility to store or display text if I wrote on it with a sharpie.

It's copy and paste, I didn't capitalize it specially for you.

Your's eyes could also be a source of information, better disable them too. What does the law say about that? They mysterious student law of 1074?

It's copy and paste, I didn't capitalize it specially for you.

Your's eyes could also be a source of information, better disable them too. What does the law say about that? They mysterious student law of 1074?

Theatrics was you declaring yourself in and out of the thread like you were making dramatic entrances. Apologies for saying you capitalised it, I should've said I don't care if it's capitalised and looks suspiciously like it's trying to be a legal document, it's still loosely worded

Exactly, my eyes could be a source of information, so the 'procedure' is bollox

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

After thinking about this a bit more, I'm feeling slightly more cynical.

Thinking about it from a logical standpoint, the op was perhaps caught looking at his phone. Turned it off before examiner got the phone off him, and is now looking for a way to get out of an awful situation.

Only saying that because of some of the op's replies with a serious aura of panic. In the end of the day, if he was telling the truth he wouldn't be panicking this much. You'd have to be confident enough if you really were telling the truth.

As others have stated in the thread already, many have phones in their pockets in the exams and nothing is ever said/nobody is EVER caught. (I always do too since it's too easy for them to be robbed if left outside).

There's just no way they saw the phone in his back pocket and asked him to remove it. No way. People have wallets etc. in their pockets creating big bulges (no dick jokes please :P ) and nobody is ever asked to remove them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

My jacket has the facility to store or display text if I wrote on it with a sharpie.

The OP thanked this post, so presumably they are going to go with the "My Jacket is a source of information" defence.

My advice, admit you messed up with taking your phone into the exam and look contrite.

What is irrelevant is that the phone was dead or that everyone else may have had a phone with them in the exam.

At the point in time of you answering the question about having a phone in the exam the above defences are only white noise and unlikely to help your case.

Personally, I'd mention the battery was dead, but not expect it to be the killer line that will exonerate you.

Finally, saying you were afraid the phone would be stolen points to you knowing taking the phone into the exam hall, irrespective of your motive.

callaway92 wrote: »
    After thinking about this a bit more, I'm feeling slightly more cynical.

Thinking about it from a logical standpoint, the op was perhaps caught looking at his phone. Turned it off before examiner got the phone off him, and is now looking for a way to get out of an awful situation.

Only saying that because of some of the op's replies with a serious aura of panic. In the end of the day, if he was telling the truth he wouldn't be panicking this much. You'd have to be confident enough if you really were telling the truth.

As others have stated in the thread already, many have phones in their pockets in the exams and nothing is ever said/nobody is EVER caught. (I always do too since it's too easy for them to be robbed if left outside).

There's just no way they saw the phone in his back pocket and asked him to remove it. No way.
    I suffer from anxiety actually, depression also, so thanks smartarse?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Today I was sitting an exam and had brought my phone in with me in my pocket but the battery was dead and it was switched off and I honestly thought they wouldn't care once it was in my pocket ( sadly mistaken ). About halfway into the exam I was asked by a vigilator to give her the phone in my pocket at this stage I had completely forgot about the phone and just took it out and handed to her thinking it would be the end of it, so I resumed with my exam and then she returned with a form telling me to sign it, it was a breach of exam regulations form. At the end of the exam I was told to collect my phone in the reception where I was met by a woman who brought me into a room and questioned me telling me that the statement I made would be sent to someone and I would either be deducted marks or just given a warning and was told I'd get a letter before the 30th. At this stage I'm freaking out and it doesn't help that I now can't focus on my other exams. I've been told by a friend that it happened to someone in her course last year and she was told she either needed to repeat or be deducted 40 percent. I already have so much anxiety about exams in general and this has just exacerbated it even further. I'm honestly in the midst of a breakdown and don't even want to take these next exams because I don't even see the point now. Whats worse is I genuinely felt I did really good in the exam and all my hard work and hours of studying is gone out the window now because of one silly dilemma. I honesly just need to know has anyone ever had this happen to them and what was the outcome, don't want lectures on exam regulations I'm well aware of them now so spare me the trolling.

It's very simple OP. Nothing will likely come of this. I've seen people caught for cheating in college exams and nothing came of it. The worse that could will happen is you will failed that particular exam and be forced to resit. That wouldn't happen lightly and unless you had the phone in hand, i'd be surprised if anything happens.

Now, you can either accept that nothing will likely happen, move on and ace your others exams or you can continue to listen to opinion and posturing and drive yourself up the wall about it.

Your choice

• Advertisement

And before you start hopping down my throat, I worry a lot even over minor things due to my anxiety and this is no different. I didn't have my phone on why would I even bother posting here if I did.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement