Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone in exam hall dilemma?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I suffer from anxiety actually, depression also, so thanks smartarse?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

And before you start hopping down my throat, I worry a lot even over minor things due to my anxiety and this is no different. I didn't have my phone on why would I even bother posting here if I did.

To hear what you want to hear, apparently. And to be snippy with posters who took the time to respond to your thread, but who aren't giving you what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

Theatrics was you declaring yourself in and out of the thread like you were making dramatic entrances. Apologies for saying you capitalised it, I should've said I don't care if it's capitalised and looks suspiciously like it's trying to be a legal document, it's still loosely worded

Exactly, my eyes could be a source of information, so the 'procedure' is bollox

Your eyes have the ability " to store or display text"?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I suffer from anxiety actually, depression also, so thanks smartarse?

Not once in that post was I trying to be backhanded or smart about it.

I'm just looking at it from a logical standpoint. Apologies if I caused offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Anonstudent123

All you keyboard warriors are literally patronising me even though I quite clearly seen the error of my ways and admitted this? I simply f**king posted asking for advice and half you trolls gave me your patronising BS anyway even though I warned you in my original post that I was already aware and didn't want to hear it. Now if anyone else posts about the regulations or penalties I'll be forced to ask the admin to remove you from this thread. Anyone else who can offer some reassurance and proper non condescending BS opinions, that would be much appreciated. I'll also specify that a lot of you seem so easy to jump to conclusions with literally little background and any educated person would inquire about all the facts before assuming they know the full story. Now leave if you can't keep your mouth closedðŸ‘ðŸ»

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    To hear what you want to hear, apparently. And to be snippy with posters who took the time to respond to your thread, but who aren't giving you what you want.

Ya, spot on.

Again op, no offense intended obviously. But it just kind of looks that you are hoping people will give you the good news that nothing will come of it (which it probably won't anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Your eyes have the ability " to store or display text"?

yes, haven't you ever had an image burned into your eyes from a bright light source?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭kirving

OP, did you go to the bathroom before the invigilator saw your phone? Just interested is all.

From my own experience, there was always a few people who went to the bathroom during exams suspiciously often.

All you keyboard warriors are literally patronising me even though I quite clearly seen the error of my ways and admitted this? I simply f**king posted asking for advice and half you trolls gave me your patronising BS anyway even though I warned you in my original post that I was already aware and didn't want to hear it. Now if anyone else posts about the regulations or penalties I'll be forced to ask the admin to remove you from this thread. Anyone else who can offer some reassurance and proper non condescending BS opinions, that would be much appreciated. I'll also specify that a lot of you seem so easy to jump to conclusions with literally little background and any educated person would inquire about all the facts before assuming they know the full story. Now leave if you can't keep your mouth closedðŸ‘ðŸ»

People are trying their best to help you with your query, whether you like what they say or not. Were you just expecting every single reply to be people giving out about the college/examiners in this situation?

Nobody has personally attacked you in the thread or anything. Not one post was patronising/condescending.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,074 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

The worst thing that can happen here is a written warning.

Anonstudent had a mobile in his back pocket.
    Invigilator noticed this and took action.
    There is no suspicion of use or intent to use during the exam.
    II. The candidate is reminded that severe sanctions are attached to any such breach of regulations (see Circumstances of Unfair Practice).

Where such a breach is suspected, the Academic Administration and Student Affairs Manager shall coordinate an investigation into the allegation by meeting with the student, and shall prepare a report for the Registrar. The Registrar shall consider the report and will determine an appropriate action. This may include:

(a) Deem the candidate to be innocent of the allegation(s). No further action to be taken.
    (b) Issue formal written warning to the candidate. A record of such will be maintained by the Office of the Registrar.
    (c) Forfeiture of the exam through the imposition of a 0% mark.
    (d) Consider the breach to be of such magnitude that a formal disciplinary process be implemented by forming a Panel of Enquiry.

Possibilities:
    (a) Happy days :)
    (b) No penalty on the exam mark. Anonstudent can breath a sigh of relief and move on older and wiser.
    (c) for this to happen:
    Where the breach of exam regulations is a matter of fact, such as notes or prohibited materials present in the examination, an automatic penalty of 0% may be applied by the Registrar to that examination.
    It is a matter of fact that Anonstudent breached the rules by bringing the device into the exams. However, the wording of this makes little sense. It states 'an automatic penalty' and then it states 'may be applied'. Well which is it? Is it automatic or discretionary? I greatly doubt that they would be willing to award 0% mark to a student with no evidence of cheating or attempt to cheat.
    It would be harsh in the extreme.
    (d) Again here, I would consider formal disciplinary procedures to be a massive overreaction considering the invigilator did not witness any attempt to cheat.

If anything other than (a) or (b) was sanctioned, I would get a solicitor onto this. Get the invigilator hauled into a room to describe what exactly they witnessed and happened and demand why the board deem that a 0% mark or formal disciplinary procedures are a rational punishment for the 'crime'.

Anonstudent - you're looking at (a) or (b). Neither will have an effect on you. Go see someone tomorrow and get this out of your head. You need to get your head showered before your next exam.

GO SPEAK TO SOMEONE ASAP!!!

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »
    Ya, spot on.

Again op, no offense intended obviously. But it just kind of looks that you are hoping people will give you the good news that nothing will come of it (which it probably won't anyway).

I clearly specified what I was looking for and told anyone who was going to give me the complete opposite not to post, therefore you're in the wrong I actually discouraged them from posting in the first place but they did anyway, read the original post fgs!

t states 'an automatic penalty' and then it states 'may be applied'. Well which is it? Is it automatic or discretionary?

it's pseudo-legal bull**** so it's nothing

I clearly specified what I was looking for and told anyone who was going to give me the complete opposite not to post, therefore you're in the wrong I actually discouraged them from posting in the first place but they did anyway, read the original post fgs!

Are you for real man? Best of luck with what happens.

What school are you in out of interest? Business?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

KingBrian2 wrote:
    No its not as long as its off and can be seen in front of you then there is no problem.

Depending on the rules within WIT bringing the phone into the hall in itself could be against the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Public forum, sonny, not your own personal petting zoo.
    Best of luck in future employment, I've a feeling it will be a rocky road...

Are you for real man? Best of luck with what happens.

What school are you in out of interest? Business?

Yes I am for real. I didn't ask them to post their opinions I already specified that I was looking for reassurance and knew what I did wasn't right, I clearly specified I wasn't trying to justify it either. Yet you made up some BS ABOUT ME LYING??!!! Do you remember this? If anything you are trying to provoke an argument, honestly just leave. I said I didn't want drama from the beginning so you aren't justified in saying that I didn't get what I asked for and got mad, in fact I didn't get what I asked for and got mad because I didn't ask for it in the first place and highly discouraged it.

Not justifying what I was doing but I guarantee I'm not the only person who had my phone switched off in my pocket. Honestly the vigilator literally could've just taken it, I mean it wasn't like I was even on the thing and I showed her it was out of battery. I'm honestly so stressed over this now it just doesn't seem fair at all I mean I worked so hard for this exam.

It doesn't matter if you weren't the only one with a phone. YOU were the one that was caught. Seeing as it was in your back pocket might be in your favour, but you were silly and should learn from this. Hopefully you'll only get a knock on the knuckles.
    Now put it out of your mind and good luck in the rest of your exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

To the OP

What is it that you are looking for from this thread? Several people have reassured you that everything will be ok.
    You already have a friend who has told you the results of a previous similar episode.

The invigilator was very competent here and getting to sign the sheet immediately is probably part of protocol that she has to follow.

I think you have to face the consequences if your action, and I think you don't really have alot of control over this. There are more things than books to be learnt in college. This might be the most important thing you will learn. I had a hard learnt lesson once early in my career too and it wasn't knowledge based.

My advice.... Put it aside you can't control it at the moment. Easy on the agro/ language / attitude . If you have to meet them again then be super super nice to them and polite. How high do you want me to jump etc.

Best of luck in the rest of your studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Yes I am for real. I didn't ask them to post their opinions I already specified that I was looking for reassurance and knew what I did wasn't right, I clearly specified I wasn't trying to justify it either. Yet you made up some BS ABOUT ME LYING??!!! Do you remember this? If anything you are trying to provoke an argument, honestly just leave. I said I didn't want drama from the beginning so you aren't justified in saying that I didn't get what I asked for and got mad, in fact I didn't get what I asked for and got mad because I didn't ask for it in the first place and highly discouraged it.

Had ya not more exams to be studying for?

F'ing hell, what a drama queen.

• Advertisement

Wesser wrote: »
    To the OP

What is it that you are looking for from this thread? Several people have reassured you that everything will be ok.
    You already have a friend who has told you the results of a previous similar episode.

The invigilator was very competent here and getting to sign the sheet immediately is probably part of protocol that she has to follow.

I think you have to face the consequences if your action, and I think you don't really have alot of control over this. There are more things than books to be learnt in college. This might be the most important thing you will learn. I had a hard learnt lesson once early in my career too and it wasn't knowledge based.

My advice.... Put it aside you can't control it at the moment. Easy on the agro/ language / attitude . If you have to meet them again then be super super nice to them and polite. How high do you want me to jump etc.

I know I've been reassured it's just complete idiots posting on this now provoking a reaction for no reason. People saying that I'm lying when we've clearly established that everything is cleared up now and then people nitpicking things and makig assumptions without all the facts.

are ye trying to get a rise out of the OP or what? Obviously they're upset over the phone there's no need for any snide **** about good luck in future employment. Nothing will come of it OP and if anything does they haven't a leg to stand on

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭kirving

OP, did you go to the bathroom at all before the phone was seen?

Wesser wrote: »
    To the OP

Yes I'm well aware of this, I'm only getting aggitated at the fact that some busybodies are sticking their nose in where it isn't wanted then getting annoyed when I ignore their post which I clearly specified I didn't want people posting BS on this but they still did and hen to have the audacity to assume I was lieing?

Yes I'm well aware of this, I'm only getting aggitated at the fact that some busybodies are sticking their nose in where it isn't wanted then getting annoyed when I ignore their post which I clearly specified I didn't want people posting BS on this but they still did and hen to have the audacity to assume I was lieing?

I was trying to look at the situation from another angle. Again, I was trying to assist, even if it could've been worst case scenario for you.

I didn't 'assume' you were lying. I just thought the story sounded too odd.

are ye trying to get a rise out of the OP or what? Obviously they're upset over the phone there's no need for any snide **** about good luck in future employment. Nothing will come of it OP and if anything does they haven't a leg to stand on

/thread
    Thank you. Honestly don't know why people are assuming I'm the immature one here when I clearly specified in my OP that I was already aware I was in the wronf and didn't want a load of troll BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

My comment re best of luck is completely genuine.

Op you responded twice to me.

OP, did you go to the bathroom before the invigilator saw your phone? Just interested is all.

From my own experience, there was always a few people who went to the bathroom during exams suspiciously often.
    OP, did you go to the bathroom at all before the phone was seen?

I'll echo this question actually

I was trying to look at the situation from another angle. Again, I was trying to assist, even if it could've been worst case scenario for you.

I didn't 'assume' you were lying. I just thought the story sounded too odd.

Why assume the worst? I'm already in wrecks over this already and all you could provide was some BS made up scenario where I attempted to cheat and lied this entire post, and you're telling me to get real?

• Advertisement

I'll echo this question actually

No I did not and I would've been able to answer this serious question beforehand if I had not been arguing with trolls jumping down my throst everytime I post something.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement