Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone else think Supermacs is a very bad restaurant?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Rezident

I thought their burgers and chips were very poor. But the pizza was excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Was in SuperMacs twice. Once in 2004.. Rank.. And again last year in Killkenny.. Again Rank.

Two soggy beermats filled with cat food would have been nicer than the cheeseburger I was served (and it was fresh!!!).

And don't get me started on the "chips"..

Deep fried parsnips I think. They were not potato anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

I'd be lucky if I ate there once a year, not overly gone on those type of takeaways.

But I remember clearly one of the first times I left Ireland I had a massive hankering for SuperMacs.

Probably because it's an Irish brand and felt of home but jaysus I would have slaughtered half of Berlin for some garlic cheese chips....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,417 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Great place for sorting out problems at 2am on a sunday morning, at least it used to be back in the day anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Archeron

The one I would go to is incredibly clean, food is nice and staff are lovely. It's a bit pricey for what you get but all that kind of food is. Their coffee and ice cream are feckin nice. On the other hand I was in another one elsewhere in the country and I walked out because the place was so dirty, everything had a sticky glimmer to it, and the staff basically ignored us as we stood waiting to order food. I imagine it really depends on the branch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Smoky bacon burger is good. I think that's all I've ever eaten there.

All the fast food places are shyte anyway. I'd have KFC bottom of the list.

Like supermacs but the only thing I ever get is the chicken fillet burger and chips- for me it's definitely the nicest item available from either supermacs, kfc, McDonald's or Burger King... zinger burger from kfc is damn tasty too but pretty expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 15,743 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The can be hit and miss. My local one is very good but there are other ones like the one in Athlone which is just terrible. The staff were ok it was more there facilities were terrible. I love there chips do but the burgers are not as good as they used to be the 5oz used to be a proper burger now its just two skinny burgers just like any other its just not special anymore. Instead of getting better it got worse a pity. Am just lucky that my local one is a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Abrakebabra used to be the by word for crap food and kips back in the 90s but ive been to a couple recently in Dublin and am really impressed with them. They've really revamped their interiors and also the menus. I recommend trying their new loaded fries and the pulled pork sandwich. I'm hungry just typing it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Jaqen Hghar

I think we're all in agreement that Supermacs isn't a restaurant in the traditional sense, but it isn't really a chipper either. A chipper is the likes of Irish-Italian joints like Borza's, Silvio's or Macari's. The 'chipper chip' from these establishments is unmistakable and a piece of culinary perfection. You certainly don't get them in Supermacs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭dunworth1

It's no Chicken Hut!

But it's far from the worst joint around

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

maudgonner wrote: »
    Nah, I can't agree with you there. I find Supermacs' quality to be far above MacDonalds, and above Burger King. Even my spellcheck is autocorrecting it to 'supremacy' :)

I do think there's a huge difference between Supermacs in Dublin and those outside the pale. I wouldn't go near the one in O'Connell St, it's poor. I think they're at they're best in small country towns.

And of course Supermacs in Eyre Square after a nightclub is a rite of passage in Galway :)

Burger King and MacDonalds are consistent, you know what you are going to get and it will be the same wherever you get it. Not the case with Supermacs, some are just about ok, some are dire. The last one I stopped at was in a hole in the ditch somewhere between Tuam and Sligo and it was dire, awful. The chips were not cooked for long enough, a combination of soggy on the outside and al dente in the middle. Just dire. I think Supermacs across the board fail to cook their chips for long enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Burger King and MacDonalds are consistent, you know what you are going to get and it will be the same wherever you get it. Not the case with Supermacs, some are just about ok, some are dire. The last one I stopped at was in a hole in the ditch somewhere between Tuam and Sligo and it was dire, awful. The chips were not cooked for long enough, a combination of soggy on the outside and al dente in the middle. Just dire. I think Supermacs across the board fail to cook their chips for long enough.

Worked in one for a few years. can confirm. during busy periods, chips are pulled up about a minute before the timer goes off.

In general, the food is okay. Depending on the branch, food can be left in the chute much longer than the allowed 15/20 minutes, so it gets a bit rank.

Never liked the food myself and wouldn't eat it even today, but they tend to adhere to HACCP (well, once there's a manager watching over the grill staff!), and cook food properly.

Wouldn't touch the pizza if you paid me, though. We used to have a manager who made us pick the toppings out of the spill rack (basically a metal rack where toppings spilled out of your hand when making pizzas in a hurry), and put them back into their containers. so your veggie pizza, the olives were sitting in a rack with pepperoni on top for a few hours, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Love supermacs, their chicken is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Your average bog standard chipper is miles better than supermacs. really a very poor offering, their chips are ghastly.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

I like them based on the fact they're the only place I know of that does a veggie burger. Decent one too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Supermac's in Tipp Town do a really good milkshake with cream on top. Yum!

Their food can be hit or miss though. Sometimes very good and sometimes very bad.

I like the new 5oz burger. Gherkins 4eva :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

It's a typical fast food restaurant poisoning people

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

The only reason I like Supermacs is because they are so obviously willy-waving at McDonalds. All very entertaining.

turnikett1 wrote: »
    I like them based on the fact they're the only place I know of that does a veggie burger. Decent one too!

Just an fyi, depends on how militant veggie you are - McDonald's and Supermacs both cook their veggie items in the same oil as chicken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Just an fyi, depends on how militant veggie you are - McDonald's and Supermacs both cook their veggie items in the same oil as chicken.

Ah stop!!! :eek:

Ah stop!!! :eek:

They do! In suoermacs at least, it was:

Chips: their own oil. Occasionally the same oil used for chicken, during mental periods like paddy's day.

Beef: grill.

Eggs: separate grill.

Sausages, pudding, fresh chicken (for the fillet burgers), fish: another oil fryer.

Frozen chicken (burgers, nuggets, etc) and veggie burgers: another oil fryer.

Most vegetarians are fine with that, I wasn't when I was veggie!

In McDonald's, the staff themselves told me years ago, was ordering chips, friend asks am I not getting nuggets, I said that I was veggie and the till lady told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

It does a job after a few pints, taco chip and quarter pounder!
    One opened just up the road a few months ago, means I don't have to walk all the way home with it from O'Connell St now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

it seems like fairly standards fast food to me..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

osarusan wrote: »
    Sat there for an hour and nobody came to take my order.

you should have alerted the maitre d'

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

A new one opened in Tipperary town last year. An excellent restaurant if the layer of Supermac's drinks cups, wrappers, boxes etc carpeting the 2 sides of every road for miles around is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭wat24

Really depends on which one your in. There's two in Waterford, one is lovely the other is pure dirt. The good one does a way bigger taco chip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

West of the Shannon, aupermacs is the equivalent of a Sunday dinner. They're ferocious in their loyalty to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It's not a restaurant it's a bloody chipper
    supermacs is not a fcuking chipper! Jesus, the Macari brothers would kneecap you for putting them in the same category as that shite.

A "chipper" serves chunky fresh cut, twice fried chips. Supermacs serve up a miserable portion of frozen "french fries". Don't think you can even get vinegar in there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement