Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone else think Supermacs is a very bad restaurant?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

No. In Blackrock village.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There are places like Supermac's nearly everywhere you go in the world. I could walk in to one in Dublin and I could as just easily be in Cape Town or Toronto. The USA was an exception, though - I was out in downtown Denver on a Friday night, but the only open food place I could find was a Taco Bell. :(

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

It is what it is, a chipper, and a fairly mediocre one at that.

Its not a chipper to me, chippers don't use frozen chips. There's on in O Connel St. catering mainly for visiting culchies and the unwary tourist. Heuston station has a small one, I ventured in to that one and had taco fries and a mighty mac i think? The taco fries were ok but the largest portion wouldn't satisfy a shrew and the burger was poxy, but nothing better or worse than standard Mc Donalds 'fare'. Mediocre being the word of the day here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,024 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Its not a chipper to me, chippers don't use frozen chips. There's on in O Connel St. catering mainly for visiting culchies and the unwary tourist. Heuston station has a small one, I ventured in to that one and had taco fries and a mighty mac i think? The taco fries were ok but the largest portion wouldn't satisfy a shrew and the burger was poxy, but nothing better or worse than standard Mc Donalds 'fare'. Mediocre being the word of the here

'Chipper' or no, gourmet fare it certainly is not.

Got a steak baguette from one once, there was nearly as much fat as lean meat shoved into it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Its a major contributor to the nations obesity epidemic.

To be fair, same could be said for a good load of stuff on Supermarket shelves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

but nothing better or worse than standard Mc Donalds 'fare'.

If you did a blind taste test on just the 'pattys' that make up a Whopper, Big Mac & Supermacs Mighty Mac, I'd wager most folks would find the Supermacs burger the least palatable - it has an unmistakably cheap quality to it, similar to what you'd get with supermarket own-brand quarter pounders.

Disgusting would be too strong a word, but I find their food not a million miles away from the catering van by the side of the road type of fare you'd get at a match & definitely some way below that offered by their competitors in the Irish market.

Yamanoto wrote: »

Disgusting would be too strong a word, but I find their food not a million miles away from the catering van by the side of the road type of fare you'd get at a match & definitely some way below that offered by their competitors in the Irish market.

A visit to supermacs is obligatory for culchies 'up for the match'
    Best of the cheapest burgers is prob the burger king.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mezzanine08

I'm partial to a greasy chicken fillet burger when I have a bad hangover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭George Michael

love the smokey bacon burger and a curry cheese fries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Its a major contributor to the nations obesity epidemic.

No it's not. People are responsible for their own food intake, health and weight. If some people can't control themselves then that is their problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Its not a chipper to me, chippers don't use frozen chips. There's on in O Connel St. catering mainly for visiting culchies and the unwary tourist. Heuston station has a small one, I ventured in to that one and had taco fries and a mighty mac i think? The taco fries were ok but the largest portion wouldn't satisfy a shrew and the burger was poxy, but nothing better or worse than standard Mc Donalds 'fare'. Mediocre being the word of the day here.

Let's face it, Supermacs is muck through and through. In terms of food quality and service MacDonalds and Burger King are far superior, there is no doubt about that. Irish people just like to be loyal to brands they perceive as sacred, but in reality they are bad quality sh*te. Tayto falls into that category too, msg poisoned bags of crisps that are usually pulverized for some reason. Most of the supermarket own brands are superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

As a restaurant it's terrible. Shocking. As a chipper it's fan-bloody-tastic, though. Yum! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Let's face it, Supermacs is muck through and through. In terms of food quality and service MacDonalds and Burger King are far superior, there is no doubt about that. Irish people just like to be loyal to brands they perceive as sacred, but in reality they are bad quality sh*te. Tayto falls into that category too, msg poisoned bags of crisps that are usually pulverized for some reason. Most of the supermarket own brands are superior.

Nah, I can't agree with you there. I find Supermacs' quality to be far above MacDonalds, and above Burger King. Even my spellcheck is autocorrecting it to 'supremacy' :)

I do think there's a huge difference between Supermacs in Dublin and those outside the pale. I wouldn't go near the one in O'Connell St, it's poor. I think they're at they're best in small country towns.

And of course Supermacs in Eyre Square after a nightclub is a rite of passage in Galway :)

jimgoose wrote: »
    As a restaurant it's terrible. Shocking. As a chipper it's fan-bloody-tastic, though. Yum! :D

Its not a restaurant though, is it? And its not a chipper either.

Oh for the luvva Mike - what is it, a laundrette that sells burgers??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Is it a diner? Have we Americanised it yet?

Sit down fast food joint,akin to Mc Donalds or BK. Not many people would refer to Mc Donalds as a chipper in fairness.

Sit down fast food joint,akin to Mc Donalds or BK. Not many people would refer to Mc Donalds as a chipper in fairness.

There's a sit-down fast-food joint here across the road from the local t'Woolpack. It is most certainly a chipper, and so is Supermacs. By way of illustration, McLaughlin's in one of Mr. McDonagh's other enterprises, the Castletroy Park Hotel, is a restaurant. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,024 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They can all be lumped into the category of "purveyors of sh*te food".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

It ain't no chipper and never refer to it as such, chippers have Italian names and much better food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Easca Peasca

Most Supermacs turn out decent grub, MightyMac's are the ultimate hunger killer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,129 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Restaurant: a place where people pay to sit and eat meals that are cooked and served on the premises.

It may not be a fine dining restaurant but a restaurant it is.
    They refer to themselves as a chain of "family restaurants" on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Supermacs is pure tasty like :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭valoren

Tasty and Tempting food at....Supermacs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭wilhelm roentgen

valoren wrote: »
    Tasty and Tempting food at....Supermacs! Mucus Rats

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭cocaliquid

There is something seriously wrong with there chicken. There chips taste crap like cardboard.

Overall the food quality has gone down hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I have Galway cousins it seems the opposite over there...
    I still can't understand Galway people's love affair with curry chips!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

it differs from restaurant to restaurant, i was in one where the chips served to me were still frozen! I was also in one where the food was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

I have Galway cousins it seems the opposite over there...
    I still can't understand Galway people's love affair with curry chips!

Everyone outside Galway gets shafted! The Dublin Supermacs are a bit different! They put ketchup in the regular burgers because the Dublin folk don't like them with Burger sauce..absolutely mad!

I'd take their chips over MaccyD's any day! Think it's the Aromat!

(wouldn't compare them to Chipper's chips though, chalk and cheese!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The Bogger's Log comes after Supermacs.

Advertisement