Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"We should shoot cyclists"- Michael O'leary

Options
124»

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Seriously.

Would anyone believe that pen pushing chair polishing bean counting arsehole could actually shoot anyone?

I mean anyone other than the forelock tuggers?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭justinbellford

This is a funny thread . . .

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

cajonlardo wrote: »
    Would anyone believe that pen pushing chair polishing bean counting.....
    I'm a bean counting pen pusher. Must dig out that can of Brasso.

Of course I don't need to have my personal taxi to use the buslanes. Can ride one of my €15k bikes in them slowing him down 'til my heart's content

Beasty wrote: »
    I'm a bean counting pen pusher. Must dig out that can of Brasso.

Of course I don't need to have my personal taxi to use the buslanes. Can ride one of my €15k bikes in them slowing him down 'til my heart's content

Nothing wrong with bean counting - someone has to do it.

Nothing wrong with pushing pens - rather you than me :)

Nothing wrong with chair polishing ( and you don't need brasso - just a stout pair of breeches)

Nothing wrong with €15K bikes ( I can only dream...)

all above assuming you are not an arsehole and don't threaten to shoot people when everyone knows you could barely shoot your load .....

• Advertisement

cajonlardo wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with bean counting - someone has to do it.
    How else would I fund my fleet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭SeanW

Does anyone pay road tax [in Ireland]?
    All motorists in Ireland, bar owners of vehicles kept for specific purposes, e.g. fire service, coast guard mountain rescue etc pay a form of road tax.

Crucially, the Irish Motor Tax regine levels no charge whatsoever on motor ownership - you can own as many off-road motors as you like and encounter no liability for "Motor" tax, nor any other tax bar that on fuel for any off-road usage. The tax is levied solely on usage of said motor on the road.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_tax
    Road tax, known by various names around the world, is a tax which has to be paid on a motor vehicle before using it on a public road.

Read that definition. Slowly. Carefully. Does it sound like any Irish tax scheme that you are aware of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

SeanW wrote: »
    All motorists in Ireland, bar owners of vehicles kept for specific purposes, e.g. fire service, coast guard mountain rescue etc pay a form of road tax.

Crucially, the Irish Motor Tax regine levels no charge whatsoever on motor ownership - you can own as many off-road motors as you like and encounter no liability for "Motor" tax, nor any other tax bar that on fuel for any off-road usage. The tax is levied solely on usage of said motor on the road.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_tax

Read that definition. Slowly. Carefully. Does it sound like any Irish tax scheme that you are aware of?

That sounds lovely. So to clear it up....there is no road tax in Ireland. :)

traprunner wrote: »
    That sounds lovely. So to clear it up....there is no road tax in Ireland. :)
    Umm ... yes. There is. It's just called (misleadingly) "Motor" tax. Despite not actually being a "Motor" tax at all, and perfectly fitting the definition of Road tax.

How many red lights do you break each week on your bike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mattser

K-9 wrote: »
    Mr O'Leary not getting enough attention recently.

English and Irish Grand Nationals, and Cheltenham Gold Cup. Have you been very far away in the last couple of months ?

Umm ... yes. There is. It's just called (misleadingly) "Motor" tax. Despite not actually being a "Motor" tax at all, and perfectly fitting the definition of Road tax.

But the tax is on emissions, not on roads.

The same number I break in my car. Zero. Although I can't figure out what that has to do with things. Maybe you'd feel happier if I broke as many as you do in your car?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

mattser wrote: »
    English and Irish Grand Nationals, and Cheltenham Gold Cup. Have you been very far away in the last couple of months ?

While we're at it, why aren't we forcing horse riders.to tax, insure and NCT their animals...

Loving the ideas of regulating cyclists to such an extent as to increase journey times, congestion, and make a dent in air quality. Sure let's devote yet more street space to one bloke in his 5 seat car. Get rid of the bus lanes too, then we can fu,ck twice as many motorists into the present mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

Wonder what his thoughts are on the pedestrianisation of norwich

Fck.

Does M.O.L know where you live? Hope not:)

Congratulations!

traprunner wrote: »
    But the tax is on emissions, not on roads.
    If your car was first registered before July 1, 2008, you pay based on your engine displacement, only if its newer than that do you pay based on emissions.

But the fact is I can own as big/polluting an engine as I like, but I don't pay for any usage or ownership of said engines/motors unless I take them onto a public road.

Literally. I could, if I wanted, and if I had way more money than brains, have a whole fleet of Ferarris in a field somewhere, fill each with fuel, leave the engines on idling on a high rev for no reason, but pay no "motor" tax on any of them so long as I had previously declared them off the road. And it would be perfectly legal. Because the tax is specifically tied to the usage of a motor on public roads.

Ergo "Motor tax" while it may be the name of the tax, it is a misappellation. It more accurately fits the definition of Road tax.
    The same number I break in my car. Zero.
    I don't believe you. I've never seen a cyclist treat a red light as anything other than a yield sign - at best. Red means stop and wait, not yield. So ... you come up to a pedestrian crossing, the road is blocked by a red light but there's no pedestrians, and you stay on the road and wait patiently for the light to turn green? As a long time road user in Ireland's main cities, I seriously doubt it.
    Although I can't figure out what that has to do with things.
    I ran the risk of committing a "Loaded question" fallacy, because I don't know you and did not know for certain that you were a cyclist.

However I notice a distinct correlation between being a cyclist and bitching about the term "Road tax". So, though I technically could have committed a logical fallacy because I did not know for sure, I was farily confident that you were a cyclist based on your bitching about the use of the term Road tax and your infantile "corrections" to a legal misappellation.
    Maybe you'd feel happier if I broke as many as you do in your car?
    Yes, I would be very happy because then you would not be breaking any red lights at all.

If your car was first registered before July 1, 2008, you pay based on your engine displacement, only if its newer than that do you pay based on emissions.

But the fact is I can own as big/polluting an engine as I like, but I don't pay for any usage or ownership of said engines/motors unless I take them onto a public road.

Literally. I could, if I wanted, and if I had way more money than brains, have a whole fleet of Ferarris in a field somewhere, fill each with fuel, leave the engines on idling on a high rev for no reason, but pay no "motor" tax on any of them so long as I had previously declared them off the road. And it would be perfectly legal. Because the tax is specifically tied to the usage of a motor on public roads.

Ergo "Motor tax" while it may be the name of the tax, it is a misappellation. It more accurately fits the definition of Road tax.

I don't believe you. I've never seen a cyclist treat a red light as anything other than a yield sign - at best. Red means stop and wait, not yield. So ... you come up to a pedestrian crossing, the road is blocked by a red light but there's no pedestrians, and you stay on the road and wait patiently for the light to turn green? As a long time road user in Ireland's main cities, I seriously doubt it.

I ran the risk of committing a "Loaded question" fallacy, because I don't know you and did not know for certain that you were a cyclist.

However I notice a distinct correlation between being a cyclist and bitching about the term "Road tax". So, though I technically could have committed a logical fallacy because I did not know for sure, I was farily confident that you were a cyclist based on your bitching about the use of the term Road tax and your infantile "corrections" to a legal misappellation.

Yes, I would be very happy because then you would not be breaking any red lights at all.

Hahahaha. I can't believe you typed all that just to call me liar (which I'm not) and to explain how the tax system works (which I know as I'm a driver too...quell surprise!). More fool you! I also love you're retort to all cyclists jump red lights. Seeing that you claim to know how I act at red lights you might actually want to educate yourself properly and look over my post history

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I got an e-mail this week. It said "This is your motor tax reminder."
    I do not pay a tax on the road outside my house, or any other stretch of road.
    Yes, the authorities are misleadingly calling a tax on motor vehicles a motor tax. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Let he who has never cycled take the first shot.

bunch of pathetic hypocritical cunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,620 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Gorgeous collection there Beasty, puts my single Boardman to shame :D

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Gorgeous collection there Beasty, puts my single Boardman to shame :D
    Oh it's been upgraded a couple of times since then. My "state of the art" Cervelo P5 TT bike is not there and I've a 3rd track bike now.

Selina and Terri have emigrated to the UK - one residing in Cornwall and the other at the National Cycling Centre in Manchester - still for my exclusive use mind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

You're seeing what you choose to see, Sean. Some cyclists routinely stop at red lights, some don't.
    If he suggested that he would break red lights as often as you break the urban speed limit, would you still be very happy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Because the tax is specifically tied to the usage of a motor on public roads.

Yea, but you're wrong you see. Big words don't make it right. Anyway, who cares what it's called? It's what it applies to that matters.
    I've never seen a cyclist treat a red light as anything other than a yield sign - at best.

You are either;

A, Lying about this, which would be my first choice.
    B. Pay absolutely no heed to what's going on around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Re: motor tax being road tax by another name. People can carry their bikes. Meanwhile cars weigh, what, a tonne? If not that much, well, they're still very heavy. Which do you think does more damage to road surfaces?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Once again, which do you think causes more damage to the road surfaces, a push bike or a car? Of course off-road motorised vehicles aren't taxed as people are using them on their own property which they maintain at their own cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,620 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It always astoinishes me that during any discussion on cycling the old chestnut of 'they don't pay road tax rah rah rah' pops up. Its been done to death at this stage but a few ignoramuses to the fact that motor tax is for motorised vehicles always seem to pop up.

As has been shown if more people cycle there is less congestion. When you're driving a car in rush hour traffic while cyclists are travelling faster than you you're not 'stuck in traffic', you are the traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dunno if people realise why the government do not charge cyclists motor/road tax, or at they genuinely that fcuking thick.

We have the bike to work scheme here, refunding people tax for cycling to work. In other countries they pay people to cycle to work per mile/km.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-france-bicycles-idUSKBN0ED1O120140602
    France has started a six-month experiment with paying people to cycle to work, joining other European governments in trying to boost bicycle use to boost people's health, reduce air pollution and cut fossil fuel consumption.

Several countries including the Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Belgium and Britain have bike-to-work schemes, with different kinds of incentives such as tax breaks, payments per kilometer and financial support for buying bicycles.

In France, some 20 companies and institutions employing a total of 10,000 people have signed up to pay their staff 25 euro cents (34 U.S. cents) per kilometer biked to work, the transport ministry said in a statement on Monday.

There is also this odd notion about the majority of them being eco-warrior types. I have seen others mocking them for being poor and not able to afford a car.
    In Copenhagen, which already boasts some of the world’s best cycling infrastructure, few people cycle as a way to save money on fuel or public transport. According to figures from Copenhagenize Design Company, which advises governments and organisations on making cities cycle-friendly, only 6% of people in Copenhagen cycle because it’s inexpensive.

The main reason people pedal their way through the city is because it’s quick and easy, 56% of cyclists said, while 19% do so for the exercise. Just 1% of people are motivated by environmental concerns; noteworthy in Milan, where cycling is seen as a way to tackle the city’s pollution problem.
    http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/feb/29/cash-cycling-polluted-milan-italy-pay-commuters-bike-to-work

Duggy747 wrote: »
    In Galway, they spent tons of money on cycle lanes out around Westside.

Cyclists still cycle on the f ckin' path at top speed.

I'm not sure about the condition of them in Westside, but for the longest time the cycle lanes were not maintained and not suitable for most bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

I was at a PR conference on Friday - there was universal admiration for Michael O'Leary's ability to win free publicity.

Advertisement