Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"We should shoot cyclists"- Michael O'leary

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I cycle to work every morning

1. Its same journey time
    2. Save money on start and stop ,clutch, gearbox
    3. I don't get talked into doing a erand while at work
    4. Don't get "eeerrrr will ye just drop so and so off on way home"

I have full waterproofs but can't remember the last time I used them, it would have to be real bad to feel I'd need to use them .

I don't go with all the more/ less cars on the road, environment bull, I just do what suits me ,

Ohhh and I'm a tight bolloxs

Don't worry it's only a minor problem, Number (b)2 is... A person can get a decade out of their gear-box/clutch from using the clutch and gear-stick correctly, so it is not a saving at all for driving. Ride the clutch and ponse with the gear-stick and yes it will fail in 1 year or less. Use them properly and they can last a long-time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭marley1

i might go and get my gun

m%20oleary%202.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    [ill-considered non-sense]...bike theft too, you're on a bike that doesn't belong to you; it gets taken off you. Owner of said bike can add your details on the bicycle database and you can have the bike back.

bikes have frame numbers which serve this purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

marley1 wrote: »
    i might go and get my gun

m%20oleary%202.jpg

I think shooting that cyclist would be appreciated by most.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Does anyone pay road tax [in Ireland]?

Once upon a time it was called Road-Tax as the monies were actually used to advance the quality of road structure, then it was changed to Motor-tax, have to pay extra to just drive the fecking thing.

Just like when Global Warming came out after the Global Cooling period of the 70's, then they changed Global Warming to Climate-change. A lot of fruit-cases out there indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

NiallBoo wrote: »
    bikes have frame numbers which serve this purpose.

Can Garda cars scan frame numbers, NiallBoo? That might be a tad bit tricky, do you not think? You really haven't thought this through, now have you?

Can Garda cars scan frame numbers, NiallBoo? That might be a tad bit tricky, do you not think? You really haven't thought this through, now have you?

They wouldn't be able to catch a number-plate on a moving bike either. Nor would they attempt to any more than they do with cars.

Garda cars don't even have access to insurance databases.

In general, the idea of putting such a big barrier in the way of bicycle use would be a much greater cost to society than benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

traprunner wrote: »

That's a different crazy person, there's waaay more in the first load.

And I stand by my assertion that trikes are cool. I had one when I was four and I've been on a slippery slope of declining coolness ever since. I want my trike back! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

NiallBoo wrote: »
    They wouldn't be able to catch a number-plate on a moving bike either. Nor would they attempt to any more than they do with cars.

Garda cars don't even have access to insurance databases.

In general, the idea of putting such a big barrier in the way of bicycle use would be a much greater cost to society than benefit.

They can catch a number plate on a motorcycle, why not a bicycle?

Think about it, NiallBoo...you've popped into Spar to pick up a protein bar for the cycle home; some little scrote takes a fancy to your new Scott road bike with carbon fibre frame and Schimano set, he nicks it on you.

You come out of the Spar, report your shiney new bike as stolen and boom! Guards scan that bad boy with their reg scanner doohickey and see that it's been stolen and get your bike back.

Now, how many reg plates do you want?

• Advertisement

Think about it, NiallBoo...you've popped into Spar to pick up a protein bar for the cycle home; some little scrote takes a fancy to your new Scott road bike with carbon fibre frame and Schimano set, he nicks it on you.

You come out of the Spar, report your shiney new bike as stolen and boom! Guards scan that bad boy with their reg scanner doohickey and see that it's been stolen and get your bike back.

There's nothing in your scenario that would be made better by reg plates.

If you were lucky enough for everything to go that smoothly, the gardai would have found the bike based on description and could have verified with the frame number.

Ps. You'd need a mortgage to but a protein bar in Spar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Dunno where to being correcting this one, but let's see....

He is wrong - what makes you think DCC has a magic wand that can just magically create an easy commute? And if you don't think they have one, well - exactly how do you expect a reduction in traaffic congestion?

Real world, people. Live in it.

For starters, they should stop reducing the number of traffic lanes to make room for a sh!tty and irregular bus service. Take the main route from Dun Laoghaire to the city centre for example - if the 7 bus is only going to run every half hour or so during the day, which in practise it does, then it doesn't deserve a bus lane. Hardly any other services use that route, and yet the addition of the bus lane to the Rock Road has made the morning commute a living hell.

Secondly: Built more underground car parks around the city, and then subsequently ban street parking on streets close to such car parks. That way you can have more lanes for traffic.

The real solution is obviously to create an adequate public transport system but I've resigned myself to Dublin never having that. Right now there's an average of 15 minutes between DARTS - meaning that missing one, or a delay / cancellation, can mean the difference between making or missing a connecting bus, etc. As I said above, the parallel 7 bus service is a f*cking joke. The 46A in comparison runs all the time, but if you're going from Dun Laoghaire to town there are so many detours that it takes just as long.

Add to this the spiralling cost of public transport, and it becomes more and more obvious why people would rather drive. DART ticket prices, both cash and leap cards, have double over the course of the last decade. This is ridiculous, particularly since the EU experienced deflation for several years during the debt crisis, but rail and bus prices went up and up every year. This is not how you incentivise the use of public transport.

With regard to bicycles: Yes, they should have to be registered with reg plates that can be caught on traffic light cameras, to a named individual. Every instance of light breaking by that individual should result in a higher fine each time until they get the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

They can't read motorbike plates,that's why they all travel at light speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

How come cyclists don't have to pay road tax or insurance? Or do the equivalent of an NCT?

It's time they faced up to their responsibilities. Tree hugging vegan hippies.:mad:

I agree with you here. Since I don't pay road tax I don't think I'm entitled to use the road so I use the footpath instead. Although it takes me a bit longer to get to my destination at least I don't have to contend with those pesky rules of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Maybe they should use cycle lanes ? Shame to waste all that money and not use them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Maybe they should use cycle lanes ? Shame to waste all that money and not use them ?

A lot of them are in bad condition and full of debris/broken glass which gets blown in off the road. Not to mention the fact that many of them are non-continuous.

People who complain about cyclists not using lanes have never cycled. If you did, you'd realise many of them are not fit for purpose. Nobody should have to use them simply because they exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭eet fuk

How about we just leave everything as it is. If you wanna drive, go for it. If you wanna cycle, cycle. Just look out for eachother and try not to be a d*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

For starters, they should stop reducing the number of traffic lanes to make room for a sh!tty and irregular bus service. Take the main route from Dun Laoghaire to the city centre for example - if the 7 bus is only going to run every half hour or so during the day, which in practise it does, then it doesn't deserve a bus lane. Hardly any other services use that route, and yet the addition of the bus lane to the Rock Road has made the morning commute a living hell.
    1 - so you want to get people off buses and into cars and THIS will decrease congerstion...?
    2 - 46A also uses that route and there are several of those per hour. Also 145 and various other services.
    Secondly: Built more underground car parks around the city, and then subsequently ban street parking on streets close to such car parks. That way you can have more lanes for traffic.
    See your idea, but it does nothing to reduce the congestion on the way in to town. Also, new underground carpars is going to take time.
    The real solution is obviously to create an adequate public transport system but I've resigned myself to Dublin never having that. Right now there's an average of 15 minutes between DARTS - meaning that missing one, or a delay / cancellation, can mean the difference between making or missing a connecting bus, etc. As I said above, the parallel 7 bus service is a f*cking joke. The 46A in comparison runs all the time, but if you're going from Dun Laoghaire to town there are so many detours that it takes just as long.
    Ah, so you do remember the 46A!
    Dart I agree with. But it only deuces the pressure on the coast roads.

Everyone wants an adequate public transport system, but no one's perpared to pay for it.
    Add to this the spiralling cost of public transport, and it becomes more and more obvious why people would rather drive. DART ticket prices, both cash and leap cards, have double over the course of the last decade. This is ridiculous, particularly since the EU experienced deflation for several years during the debt crisis, but rail and bus prices went up and up every year. This is not how you incentivise the use of public transport.
    Totally agree with you here.
    With regard to bicycles: Yes, they should have to be registered with reg plates that can be caught on traffic light cameras, to a named individual. Every instance of light breaking by that individual should result in a higher fine each time until they get the message.
    Not relevant to my post.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

eet fuk wrote: »
    How about we just leave everything as it is. If you wanna drive, go for it. If you wanna cycle, cycle. Just look out for eachother and try not to be a d*ck.

I second that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,214 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Hmmmm. One must assume that Mr. O'Leary has a logical, non-selfish and facts-based reason for suggesting that it would improve traffic were all the cyclists to convert from two wheels to four. Notwithstanding the fact that, at least through the city centre, cycling (safely and legally) by bike is faster than traveling by cars stuck in traffic. Apparently taking these people and adding a lot more slow moving cars to the traffic would somehow free things up???

One one hardly suspect that taking all those pesky cyclists out of the bus lanes and shifting them into the already packed and slow moving normal lanes of traffic could ever benefit Mr. O'Leary. I mean it would benefit the taxi-drivers who can zip past the now longer traffic jams that little bit faster. It's not like Mr. O'Leary drives taxis for a living or anything is it?......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I cycle to work and my quads look amazing.

Amazing.

Your Face wrote: »
    I cycle to work and my quads look amazing.

Amazing.

Do you think that there is a scientific link between sitting for hours in the saddle and having four kids at the same time? Do you think that maybe all the shaking caused your jizz to split into 4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Do you think that there is a scientific link between sitting for hours in the saddle and having four kids at the same time? Do you think that maybe all the shaking caused your jizz to split into 4?

No.

Your Face wrote: »

No.
    Well that cleared that up fairly lively! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mr O'Leary not getting enough attention recently.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

I was just thinking the other day that O'Leary hadn't said anything interesting for a long time. He's nearly getting boring!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 andy1981

A 'Don't Cycle to Work Day' should be organised. Preferable when the schools are back on. Everyone who cycles should drive to work/school/college. Or if no car get the bus/dart. Would love to see how busy the traffic would be then and if the issue would be resolved for the O'Leary lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

In a country where it rains about 250 days a year
    The average rainfall in Dublin is about 2mm a day. I guess some of that 2 mm falls during the night.
    Michael O'Leary, not a nice person, for once thinking about others. Or is he?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

I love cycling in the rain. Refreshing. And I even liked it when I cycled to and from work.

Advertisement