Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thurles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Should have but haven't they been denied planning permission multiple times in the past?

They withdrew two applications themselves. First application in 2007 and second in 2012. Most likely would’ve gotten permission as the council expressed an interest in purchasing the current store in the 2009 Thurles environs development plan. Thurles Town Council existed at the time but the site was outside the town boundary, planning application was with North Tipperary Council who would be less biased with objections from the serial objectors in the square.

http://www.eplanning.ie/TipperaryCC/AppFileRefDetails/07511674/0

http://www.eplanning.ie/TipperaryCC/AppFileRefDetails/10510096/0

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

What about those 2 Belfast kids kidnapped and found in the student village? They were going to be trafficked :eek:

And we were only talking about how bad the place is recently!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

What about those 2 Belfast kids kidnapped and found in the student village? They were going to be trafficked :eek:

And we were only talking about how bad the place is recently!

Trafficked?

Looks more like a father taking his children back, not saying he was right to do it of course.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-57252219

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Iceman1984

I see work going on in Liam Campions old unit in the shopping centre, any idea what's going in there?

Trafficked?

Looks more like a father taking his children back, not saying he was right to do it of course.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-57252219

The article in the tipp star said they were going to be trafficked from what I’m told.

• Advertisement

Iceman1984 wrote: »
    I see work going on in Liam Campions old unit in the shopping centre, any idea what's going in there?

“The Gourmet Butcher” I suspect based on the Thurles Shopping Centre brochure with their logo.

They have a shop in the Showgrounds Clonmel.

Edit: https://www.simplyhired.ie/search?q=permanent&l=thurles,+county+tipperary&job=Dn0VgkjSQ7SahzbW1pApVxtQshpPygsT2VwWVA10X0Q-kXRGMbPXPQ

Mossy Shanahan didn't last long in that unit with the same business. It'll be interesting to see how long this new crowd last.

There's a reason Liam Campion and Mossy moved out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

So the drive thru in Thurles has been withdrawn due to objections

The business centre beside Lidl will probably never happen either

But at least wel have a lovely new paved square with no jobs or shops in the town

tastyt wrote: »
    So the drive thru in Thurles has been withdrawn due to objections

The business centre beside Lidl will probably never happen either

But at least wel have a lovely new paved square with no jobs or shops in the town

It was deemed withdrawn due to lack of response and publication. They revised the plans considerably and were told to re-advertise in local press. There could be another application in the coming months.

I suspect you’re right about the business centre, in fact it would be a very tight squeeze behind Lidl.

Local Link bus service launching on the 1st of July. 3 times daily serving Two-Mile Borris, Urlingford, and in between to Portlaoise. Operated by J.J Kavanagh.

There’s currently a Thurles to Limerick Local Link service that runs 3 times a day via Newport. Operated by Bernard Kavanagh.

What is really needed is a bus service to Dublin and Cork again. The 008 and 071 served Thurles up until 2000 and 2010 for the latter and whilst loadings were poor, at that time rail fares were reasonable and daysaver fares existed. Iarnród Éireann has a monopoly in the town and people in Thurles pay more than the likes of Waterford, Galway, Kilkenny to travel to Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Evening, staying in Thurles on Saturday with two other lads and looking for any recommendations for pubs with outdoor seating. Food optional but would be a bonus if that was available too, Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

thomasm wrote: »
    Evening, staying in Thurles on Saturday with two other lads and looking for any recommendations for pubs with outdoor seating. Food optional but would be a bonus if that was available too, Thanks

Heya , Hayes have a great new area at the back for food and drink . Very busy so would have to book. Also it might be on the younger side so if that is an issue have a look at Mrs croghs , good outdoor area too . Again , I reckon you should ring ahead and book because it being a Saturday ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

tastyt wrote: »
    Heya , Hayes have a great new area at the back for food and drink . Very busy so would have to book. Also it might be on the younger side so if that is an issue have a look at Mrs croghs , good outdoor area too . Again , I reckon you should ring ahead and book because it being a Saturday ðŸ‘

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭shmeee

thomasm wrote: »

Hayes will be bananas on Saturday night, pure crazy the last few weekends I've heard and very young crowd at weekends.

The other options as mentioned above;

Mrs Croghs (Lar Corbetts bar), very nice spot now and they have a decent "outdoor" area that is covered. Booking can be done. (Pizzas and Drink)

Noel Ryans, down the road from Lars. Need to book also. (Food and Drink)

Gleesons Tower Lounge, up the Dublin Road end of town. Nice outdoor area recently done up. (Drink only and walk in)

County Bar on the square, limited space, may need to book. Probably full TBH.

If your around for the match, Thurles Sarsfields Centre beside the stadium have outdoor seating / drink with TV's and Marquee going up for the weekend.

Is it just me or is the new Lidl smaller than their Nenagh store?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Denny61

The traffic lights outside the new Lidl is a unmitigated disaster. Every three minutes they are turning red,and holding up not alone traffic all the way back up to liberty Square but also holding up shoppers From entering or exiting dunnes stores. It has to be changed.ive heard from people the very same..a large round about would have been a lot better and keep traffic flowing

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Denny61

The traffic lights outside the new Lidl is a unmitigated disaster. Every three minutes they are turning red,and holding up not alone traffic all the way back up to liberty Square but also holding up shoppers From entering or exiting dunnes stores. It has to be changed.ive heard from people the very same..a large round about would have been a lot better and keep traffic flowing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i havnt been through it yet but i have heard it a dozen times that its a disaster.

how could they not know that stopping traffic like that would back up like that. they should have learned from the road work lights .

only an idiot would design it like that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I passed through Thurles today and one poor Garda was at that junction manning the traffic himself out in the heat 😑

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Had a spin past there today, oh god what a shitshow and I was on 2 wheels.

• Advertisement

whats happening to the place where preillys was beside the post office sorting place. some vans outside and guys doing some work

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭HcksawJimDuggan

Not sure but the auctioneers had it marked as sold on Tipp Star in recent weeks.

Careful with cars around the Thurles area. Wife left mine unlocked last weekend in driveway (was taking buggy out of boot) and all compartments were rummaged through during the night. Nothing taken though. Have a strong idea who it is as have heard him being caught on a few other occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭WEST

Hi, Stakelums have bulk bag of stone for €95 each, see attached. I need to buy 4 bulk bags for a bit of garden landscaping. Before I buy, does anyone know if there a cheaper alternate to buy these types of stones in the Thurles area? 

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ddoolan03

How are we lads,

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any casual sports that are available in Thurles outside of gyms, etc?

I'm an exile from out of the county and I'll be moving to Thurles next week for college. I'm determined to keep up some bit of sports/fitness but I wouldn't be able to give much commitment as I'd be going home on weekends. Rowing is my primary sport but unfortunately that's out of the question as there's no rowing club in Thurles apparently. I'll be restricted to walking or maybe cycling if I bring my bike so it can't be something too far out of town.

I've played both football and soccer (better at the latter, terrible at the former) but I'd be open to try literally anything to keep myself occupied.

Failing all else (or to compliment the above), have ye any gym recommendations? I was thinking the Anner since their prices seem reasonable and, more importantly, they apparently have a Concept2 rowing machine which would be great.

Any and all help appreciated!!

-D

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭osullic

You have lots to choose from in Thurles. There are/were 3 soccer clubs. Peake Villa, Thurles town and boroway. All at different levels. There is a rugby club too which you may be interested in. Thurles Sarsfields and Thurles Gaels are the main GAA clubs but hurling would be the main focus there. There are excellent boxing and martial arts clubs. Thurles mixed martial arts club (formerly kick boxing club) is a great club and Pat John is excellent with newcomers. You have golf and squash at the golf club which is a lovely parklands course.

As for gyms the power house is great but I don’t know if that’s open anymore. The source gym is good enough but tends to be very busy.

im sure someone else can advise you better on this but I’d guess the Suir in Thurles is far too shallow for any rowing so you’d have to go out of the town for that. I wouldn’t even put a Kayak in it.

best of luck in Thurles

• Advertisement

Parked in Liberty Square earlier and went over to the AIB bank to lodge money, when I came out a bunch of those skanger pram pushers types were going through my glove box. I don't lock the car because there's nothing valuable in the car. When I approached one of them ran with their crotch goblins in a buggy and both were nearly killed by a bus.

Rather see her charged with child neglect than theft/AT.

Thurles, the town where almost every girl aspires to be a lone parent and get a council house. LIT is only to get rid of the decent honest girls.

Advertisement