Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you experience much bullying whilst at school/college?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,373 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

mickstupp wrote: »
    School eh? Best years of your li...... no I hated every second. Cannot bring myself to forgive bullies. Doesn't matter that it's over 20 years ago. Still angry and hate filled towards them.

Have you tried counselling?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

12Phase wrote:
    The other teacher was gay, very 'camp' and he had been given homophobic abuse for his entire career. It was actually really nasty, name calling behind his back, doing impressions of him and he had a name that seemed to have been there for decades.

Older students tended to treat him with respect but the 1st to 3rd years were absolutely horrific to him.

Again a lovely guy, dedicated teacher, got great results and I still would bump into him on the street now and then and have a chat.

Thinking back on it, I have no idea how he put up with it and remained so friendly and good humoured!
    Some folks are just incredibly fantastic souls. Yes, they get hurt like us all, if anything moreso, but they don't let it define them for too long. They're great to be around. I've vampired of the buggers whenever I've encountered them. :) Hoping it would brush off like.
    mickstupp wrote: »
    Still angry and hate filled towards them.
    Then the sad part for you M is that they're still bullying you likely long after they've forgotten about you entirely. They don't deserve that emotional energy and it does you no favours. Fcuk that ballsology M.

Life can be shíte and sometimes yep, people can be shíte, but you don;t have to carry all that shíte in your personal backpack for the rest of your days. You have a choice. You really do. You can choose to never pick up the shíte - which unless your name is Mr Christ or Mr Buddha is almost impossible, or you're a liar - or if you are carrying all that shíte - and this is what most of us do - you can always just stop and lay it down in the ditch by the side of your personal road and leave it there. You really can. Many, hell most people don't because they've become so used to the weight digging into their shoulders. It's become comfortable, part of them, even welcome in its familiarity. It's a defining part of them and they're afraid to lose it. So when they try to take it off for even a moment the lightness feels wrong and they get a little dizzy and put it right back on.
    Have you tried counselling?
    Could well be a plan, if you can find a good one, that suits you. Like all trades there are good and bad and average. Actual proper qualifications and certification narrows the field and winnows out the worst, so make that a priority as pretty much any muppet can call him or herself a "counsellor".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I don't have it in me to be angry anymore. All this hate its too much. It consumes you and you end up hating yourself as much as them cos you still think its your fault and you deserve it and revenge is just. So silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

In primary, a fair bit in babies by one lad in particular. Eventually became decent mates with him. Don't hold any grudges, I later understood he had a lot going on and, after the stuff I've been through, I can totally relate.

In first year at secondary, there was one lad who scared the crap out of me. It was never physical but he'd switch from a laid-back joker to an intimidating gorilla in a flash. He was bigger than me and I'm not small at all. Thankfully, he left after first year and I'd no more problems.

Nothing in college, didn't see any of it going on in my year apart from one group of gurls who chose to ostracise the D4 types purely for being D4 types. Funny one, that.

Got bullied a fair bit on one of my schoolboy teams, by the captain too, that was just lovely. A particularly nasty runt that guy. I'm willing to let bygoned be bygones but couldn't help but wryly smile when I heard he'd messed up his life.

Have seen a bit of bullying in work and am ashamed to say I was part of it too. Just had a co-worker I didn't like and just started ostracising him.

Advertisement