Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you experience much bullying whilst at school/college?

Options
  • 02-05-2016 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,426 ✭✭✭✭

I went to a mixed school for Junior and Senior infants and there wasn't much bullying that vi can remember. A couple of guys did pick on me a few times but I ended up friends with them later on.
    It was an all boys school from 1st to 6th class and there was very little bullying apart from the odd name being thrown around my class generally got well.
    Secondary school was also generally good once you realised it wasn't as soft at primary school. There was the odd name thrown around but people generally got on. There was few a lads who'd act up the odd time but nobody really let them get to them.
    From reading Boards.ie I thought college was going to be great because bullying didn't exist and everybody was mature. It was the worst experience of bullying that I've ever seen off people from name calling to snide comments to people isolating laying people and people treating others generally badly most of this was done by female member of the class.
    Did you ever experience bullying whilst at school/college?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

From reading Boards.ie I thought college was going to be great because bullying didn't exist and everybody was mature. It was the worst experience of bullying that I've ever seen off people from name calling to snide comments to people isolating laying people and people treating others generally badly most of this was done by female member of the class.
    Did you ever experience bullying whilst at school/college?

Schoolboy error there really. How did you go to college when you still believe anything you read on Boards as if it's any representation of reality? :pac:

Honestly, yeah, there was a bit of bullying went on from my early days in primary school right through and up to third level, and in employment thereafter, and at each level I told myself it would stop once I got to the next level.

At some stage I realised the issue wasn't that other people were bullies, it was that I let myself be bullied, and people were only doing what came naturally to them. I haven't been bullied since I taught myself to be assertive. Whatever else I learned in education, that was the most valuable and important lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭JTL

Quite a bit in 2nd year in secondary school. Thankfully only lasted a short time and the bullies moved on. Forever disappointed with myself that I didn't confront them though.

Went to a small secondary school, typical rural Ireland, 40 in each year, everyone knew everyone and families all knew each other so little or no bullying. Small hierarchy things, we were sent down town at lunch to buy cigarettes for older years, we in turn did it. We all got dunked in the toilets, but it was good natured. It was almost a sign of popularity, I knew everyone that did it when it was my turn and everyone (including me) was laughing at the futility of my protests. Some of them always looked out for me when it came to football matches or fights against other schools, and are great friends today. It wasn't selective or nasty, it was just part of the order.

Would hate to be a kid now, in larger schools, with social media and all the other pressures.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

English comprehensive. Plenty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

From teachers, yes. Physical and psychological

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

From my father yes.
    From my teachers, who were informed by my father how wicked and awful I was, yes.
    From 99% of my fellow pupils, yes.

Definitely not bitter though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 30,426 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Schoolboy error there really. How did you go to college when you still believe anything you read on Boards as if it's any representation of reality? :pac:

In my head in knew bullying would exist in college but when ever you see a thread on here about somebody being bullied in secondary school there always basically told it disappears in college.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

School: yes. College: no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

School: No. University: No.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

School: hugely, resulted in mental health issues (amongst other causes). Still can't bring myself to say hello when the cnuts say hi in passing.

College: No, everyone was lovely and I enjoyed it and made great friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Their were messers but no bullies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

None of the kids picked on me. I was a shy kid/teenager but I had a don't fcuk with me vibe all the same. A friend of mine was tormented though and we didn't know, when we found out it was stopped pretty lively.

A teacher in secondary school did bully me however. She was a known power tripping bully, especially to the younger classes. She humiliated me more times than I care to remember. So much so I felt physically ill going to her class and eventually stopped going and would hide in the bathroom.

I eventually told my parents who spoke to the principal. She gave some excuse about this teacher having a rough time personally. No excuse to treat a 15 year old like sh1te!! It never happened after that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Thankfully no. I seem to have been lucky in that I saw(nor discovered later) almost no instances of consistent bullying among my peers in my class at school. There was some pretty minor social exclusion, but even there the small number who suffered didn't suffer it as a continuous thing and they had their own friends anyway. There was one instance of a deviant teacher who had groomed one poor bugger, but that was discovered years later and the deviant got a gaol term.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

i was 6ft at 12 and 6ft 5 at 14 so no not really bar the name calling for being huge for my age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

In primary a fair bit but I've repressed the hell out of it so I'm not sure how accurately I can gauge it. My parents were very much on the "if you don't acknowledge it they'll get bored" cowardly way of avoiding dealing with their kids problem, so I tried doing that through primary.

By secondary, I had realised you need to fight back sometimes, so school was actually okay most of the time. Virtually every boy bully eventually led to a confrontation where I got the ****e beaten out of me but seemed to send a message of either (a) that what they were doing was really hurtful or (b) that I'm capable of making some pretty cutting verbal retorts and not especially afraid of the consequences after a certain point.

The only stuff that's bothered me long term were the girls from the convent that shared our bus who bullied me.
    Honestly, as ridiculously petty as it is, if I could give 11 year old me a few words of advice; there's a fair chance it'd include shaming the hell out of several girls who decided endlessly berating me was how they'd cover up their fairly huge insecurities. It was one of those situations where there was absolutely no one on your side anyway so you may as well go for broke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭poa

Bullied? No. Bully? Yes.
    I attended a boys Grammar school, and there was a culture of bullying in every year.
    Rather than discourage it, the teachers turned a blind eye; and saw it as character building.
    For example, in one football match I took at shot at the goal and the keeper saved it.
    So I walked up to him and punched him in the face for not letting the ball in.
    The teacher never said a word. He just let the game carry on as if nothing had happened.
    For 5 years one boy paid me a weekly tax not to be beaten up. Sometimes I just punched him in the face anyway, even after he had paid up.
    That was the culture there, be the bully or be bullied. The older boys respected the known faces, and left you alone; as they knew you were the top boy in your year.
    I was by no means the most vicious though, and the worst case I saw was a boy having lighter fluid poured over his blazer and school bag. He was then set fire to.
    The code of silence meant that the bully got away with it. Grassing on a bully was a like signing a death sentence in that school.
    Do I have any regrets? None.
    It was character building, and hardened me up for my profession later in life; which was full of sociopaths and totally ruthless animals. Bullies often get to be CEO's and Directors; as it's a character trait.
    When I look back, some of the bullying was psychotic. But I would be a liar if I said the thrill of the violence and power wasn't intoxicating as a teenager. There is a delicious pleasure in controlling another human being, and getting want one wants from them.
    In life, one has the choice of being the bully or bullied, that's the reality.

poa wrote: »
    Bullied? No. Bully? Yes.
    I attended a boys Grammar school, and there was a culture of bullying in every year.
    Rather than discourage it, the teachers turned a blind eye; and saw it as character building.
    For example, in one football match I took at shot at the goal and the keeper saved it.
    The teacher never said a word. He just let the game carry on as if nothing had happened.
    For 5 years one boy paid me a weekly tax not to be beaten up. Sometimes I just punched him in the face anyway, even after he had paid up.
    That was the culture there, be the bully or be bullied. The older boys respected the known faces, and left you alone; as they knew you were the top boy in your year.
    I was by no means the most vicious though, and the worst case I saw was a boy having lighter fluid poured over his blazer and school bag. He was then set fire to.
    The code of silence meant that the bully got away with it. Grassing on a bully was a like signing a death sentence in that school.
    It was character building, and hardened me up for my profession later in life; which was full of sociopaths and totally ruthless animals. Bullies often get to be CEO's and Directors; as it's a character trait.
    When I look back, some of the bullying was psychotic. But I would be a liar if I said the thrill of the violence and power wasn't intoxicating as a teenager. There is a delicious pleasure in controlling another human being, and getting want one wants from them.

You put a lot of effort into portraying yourself a certain way. None of it is convincing.

Bullied? No. Bully? Yes.

I call shenanigans on that.

Candie wrote: »
    You put a lot of effort into portraying yourself a certain way. None of it is convincing.

Agreed. It's the mark of a sociopath.

• Advertisement

Or the insecure attention-seeker.

Exactly This.

I was called a troll for responding to his drivel.

Attention seeking at its finest.

Well I caught your attention, so I must be doing something right then.
    I just need to work on that insecurity now.

Nah its not true. Sorry.

Exactly This.

I was called a troll for responding to the drivel.

Attention seeking at its finest.

More stalking my posts I see.
    That is a real fixation you have with me now.
    You just can't help yourself can you?
    The irony is strong with this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Yes, 5 years of therapy since and still have anxiety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

In primary school a fair bit...but then they left as older than me and twoz ok for the last year

In secondary school not really...didn't have much friends etc and tbf while I hated school they were very good about anti-bullying

And when I left school first I went to a small garage and first thing they showed/taught me was to stand up for myself and years later met the boss there who gave me the impetus to leave a job I was getting in effect bullied in

I've been somewhat lucky as I know people who's life's have been ruined by bullying and Its one thing I fcuking hate seeing happening

More stalking my posts I see.
    That is a real fixation you have with me now.
    You just can't help yourself can you?
    The irony is strong with this one.

Gway. Nobody cares who you ride in a graveyard or who you bullied in school.

It's boring made up crap.

At least invent something believable.

Lots of it from a young age right up to my leaving cert. It scarred me so badly that I didn't go to college out of fear of it continuing and I've been in and out of counselling and therapy for years.

• Advertisement

Gway. Nobody cares who you ride in a graveyard or who you bullied in school.

It's boring made up crap.

At least invent something believable.

I wouldn't bother tbh, it's the attention he likes.

Advertisement