Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you experience much bullying whilst at school/college?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Karsini wrote: »
    Lots of it from a young age right up to my leaving cert. It scarred me so badly that I didn't go to college out of fear of it continuing and I've been in and out of counselling and therapy for years.

That's awful. I hope they are truly ashamed at how the treated you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭poa

Gway. Nobody cares who you ride in a graveyard or who you bullied in school.

It's boring made up crap.

At least invent something believable.

You still can't see the irony can you?
    It's so amusing at this stage.
    You do realise the only one you are showing up is yourself?
    When in hole, stop digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

That's awful. I hope they are truly ashamed at how the treated you.

Apparently lots of bullies at that age do experience regret? Provided they mature and grow up a bit.

Candie wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother tbh, it's the attention he likes.

You are mistaken. I don't like attention, I love attention. Always have done.
    Attention and control. Both equally intoxicating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Primary school alright, but by people who I considered friends. It was confusing, or maybe I was naturally thin skinned.

• Advertisement

poa wrote: »

There you go, you've had your attention. Now go knock yourself out and have a slice of banoffi and let the grown-ups talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Have you taught on buying a puppy :pac: :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Bullied? No. Bully? Yes.
    I attended a boys Grammar school, and there was a culture of bullying in every year.
    Rather than discourage it, the teachers turned a blind eye; and saw it as character building.
    For example, in one football match I took at shot at the goal and the keeper saved it.
    So I walked up to him and punched him in the face for not letting the ball in.
    The teacher never said a word. He just let the game carry on as if nothing had happened.
    For 5 years one boy paid me a weekly tax not to be beaten up. Sometimes I just punched him in the face anyway, even after he had paid up.
    That was the culture there, be the bully or be bullied. The older boys respected the known faces, and left you alone; as they knew you were the top boy in your year.
    I was by no means the most vicious though, and the worst case I saw was a boy having lighter fluid poured over his blazer and school bag. He was then set fire to.
    The code of silence meant that the bully got away with it. Grassing on a bully was a like signing a death sentence in that school.
    Do I have any regrets? None.
    It was character building, and hardened me up for my profession later in life; which was full of sociopaths and totally ruthless animals. Bullies often get to be CEO's and Directors; as it's a character trait.
    When I look back, some of the bullying was psychotic. But I would be a liar if I said the thrill of the violence and power wasn't intoxicating as a teenager. There is a delicious pleasure in controlling another human being, and getting want one wants from them.
    In life, one has the choice of being the bully or bullied, that's the reality.

Apparently lots of bullies at that age do experience regret? Provided they mature and grow up a bit.

That's a myth. Often childhood bullies go on to become workplace bullies.
    Managers and Directors don't get where they are in their careers from being weak. They are natural leaders, and if that means some bullying to rise through the ranks; then its done. Maturity has nothing to do with it. 50 year old men will bully in life the same as an 18 year old.

Primary school alright, but by people who I considered friends. It was confusing, or maybe I was naturally thin skinned.

Probably a combination of both. The frenemy thing is pretty common I think.

I've never been bullied, not overtly anyway. I was excluded a bit in secondary school but it didn't bother me too much. The problem in a boarding school is there's no getting away from it, so you just build a wall and cope. I've witnessed more serious bullying, and always tried to intervene on behalf of the victim. That might have been what stopped them from ever going for me wholesale.

School was pretty good about anti bullying stuff to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ogogo

Yes.

Teachers taught pupils.
    Teachers thought about the curriculum.
    See the difference?
    Now you have learned something haven't you.
    And no, I am not an animal lover. I prefer women.

Noooooo...poor puppy!!!

Teachers taught pupils.
    Teachers thought about the curriculum.
    See the difference?
    :confused:

This is like a bad google translate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Primary: A small rural parish school, zero bullying in my entire time there. It was country idyll where everyone sang confirmation songs!

Secondary: Rural small town vocational. A tough nut principle who would eat you for breakfast made sure no real bullying ever got started. There were a couple of hardcases, mountainy lads who ate hurls for lunch usually. They gave meeker guys a hard time now and again but it was harmless and never sustained. Young lads acting the bollox basically.

College: Never heard of it. I went to an IT and it was every bit exactly what I'd expect from third level.

Managers and Directors don't get where they are in their careers from being weak. They are natural leaders, and if that means some bullying to rise through the ranks; then its done. Maturity has nothing to do with it. 50 year old men will bully in life the same as an 18 year old.

Nah you talk ****. Ignoring you now.

I had it at home, in school, pretty much everywhere, for years. Hence why my adult life has been infinitely preferably to my life before I turned 18. There's a big age difference between 17 and 18 even, that you don't think, and specially between ages 18 and 21. People change a lot.

There you go, you've had your attention. Now go knock yourself out and have a slice of banoffi and let the grown-ups talk.

Its sad the lack of education and literacy on here. Banoffee.
    If one is going to attempt to insult, it's more effective if one spells correctly.
    Otherwise you make yourself look thick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Na, a few bitchy moments in secondary school that were devastating at the time, but I tended to take things kind of hard back then anyways. The school I went to was pretty good about it really, the attitude and culture from the top down does make a big difference, though there'll always be shíts. There was a girl in another year who my sister ended up friends with after school, I avoided her for years because I'd seen he be such a rotten bully but she turned out lovely. She's a teacher now actually!

Oh, I'd really hate to make myself look thick.

Wouldn't you?

If one is going to attempt to insult, it's more effective if one spells correctly.

wel dnt let da door hit u on da way owt

• Advertisement

You ok Hun? Xoxoxoxoxoxo

Oh, I'd really hate to make myself look thick.

Wouldn't you?

Agreed.

You ok Hun? Xoxoxoxoxoxo

You like calling men Hun? It's very telling.

You like calling men Hun? It's very telling.

You over 18??

You over 18??

I am.
    Next you will be asking; is water wet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Aren't you unemployed?

Many directors and VPs are perfectly normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Is water wet?

Aren't you unemployed?

Many directors and VPs are perfectly normal.

I am.
    Agreed.

mickstupp wrote: »
    Is water wet?

For most people. For really special people who everyone thinks is really cool, it's more like a moisture-gasm, you wouldn't understand.

• Advertisement

I'll tell you for free (I said I was ignoring you but I'm not for this post) I have known at least one genuine 'sociopath' and I'll tell you for nowt, no sociopath would loudly announce what a sociopath they were, or how much pleasure they got from controlling and manipulating someone. Surely a sociopath would get no pleasure from that anyway? A sociopath, from my experience, tries harder than anyway to not draw attention to the fact of their 'sociopathness' and would never admit it, and would make more of an effort than anyone to appear as normal as possible.

Plus like I said, you are talking bullcrap.

Advertisement