Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you experience much bullying whilst at school/college?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭poa

mickstupp wrote: »
    Is water wet?

Careful or you will have Tommy Tiernan out of a job.
    You must be gas craic at a party.

Aren't you unemployed?

Many directors and VPs are perfectly normal.

He can't be unemployed surely? I thought he lived a life of luxurious abandon. The finer things cost the dolla.

Surely he's not ...fibbing? :eek:

I'll tell you for free (I said I was ignoring you but I'm not for this post) I have known at least one genuine 'sociopath' and I'll tell you for nowt, no sociopath would loudly announce what a sociopath they were, or how much pleasure they got from controlling and manipulating someone. Surely a sociopath would get no pleasure from that anyway? A sociopath, from my experience, tries harder than anyway to not draw attention to the fact of their 'sociopathness' and would never admit it, and would make more of an effort than anyone to appear as normal as possible.

Plus like I said, you are talking bullcrap.

Cool story bro.

You know, I think we're getting a bit close to what the thread is about.

We should leave poa alone to do his thing and not be ganging up on him. It's not going to change him anyway.

Candie wrote: »

We should leave poa alone to do his thing and not be ganging up on him. It's not going to change him anyway.

The irony.
    Victims of bullying.
    Agreed, at 39 I won't change my ways.
    Sometimes I feel some guilt for being a bully.
    Then I have another slice of banoffee pie to help me get over it.
    It soon passes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Agreed. Obvious troll will remain obvious regardless of outage.

He can't be unemployed surely? I thought he lived a life of luxurious abandon. The finer things cost the dolla.

Surely he's not ...fibbing? :eek:

Breaking news: men fib.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

There was never really any bullying at the primary or secondary school that I was at, not that I can remember anyway. What there was though, was an awful lot of peer pressure and kids boasting of what they were allowed to do at home and what they had and such. This was thirty years ago when everybody had fcuk all in reality, so can't imagine what it's like now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

Once!
    It never happened again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

As a result of being really quiet and self-conscious, I was picked on constantly throughout first and second year. It was (mostly) very mild stuff, and the result of boredom and idiocy rather than maliciousness. I'm not even sure that it's fair to call it 'bullying'. Unfortunately, it just made me even quieter and absolutely ridiculously self-conscious - like hyper-aware of every little movement. That's something I've never been able to shake off. Twenty years on, I still feel extremely physically tense in any public place. It's like I've got an internal monologue saying "why are you sitting like that? What are you doing with your hands? You look like a cunt. Don't turn around, you'll draw attention to yourself." So yeah, it had a profound effect on me.

I eventually became so quiet in school that even the bullies started taking pity on me. For that, I am very grateful to them. Or maybe they just got bored and moved on to hassling the kid whose mother had sex with the local parish priest. For that, I am very grateful to the clergy.

• Advertisement

RayM wrote: »
    As a result of being really quiet and self-conscious, I was picked on constantly throughout first and second year. It was (mostly) very mild stuff, and the result of boredom and idiocy rather than maliciousness. I'm not even sure that it's fair to call it 'bullying'. Unfortunately, it just made me even quieter and absolutely ridiculously self-conscious - like hyper-aware of every little movement. That's something I've never been able to shake off. Twenty years on, I still feel extremely physically tense in any public place. It's like I've got an internal monologue saying "why are you sitting like that? What are you doing with your hands? You look like a cunt. Don't turn around, you'll draw attention to yourself." So yeah, it had a profound effect on me.

I eventually became so quiet in school that even the bullies started taking pity on me. For that, I am very grateful to them. Or maybe they just got bored and moved on to hassling the kid whose mother had sex with the local parish priest. For that, I am very grateful to the clergy.

If it makes any difference, you come across very confidently and wittily on here. :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 260 ✭✭Jimlh86

poa wrote: »
    Bullied? No. Bully? Yes.
    I attended a boys Grammar school, and there was a culture of bullying in every year.
    Rather than discourage it, the teachers turned a blind eye; and saw it as character building.
    For example, in one football match I took at shot at the goal and the keeper saved it.
    So I walked up to him and punched him in the face for not letting the ball in.
    The teacher never said a word. He just let the game carry on as if nothing had happened.
    For 5 years one boy paid me a weekly tax not to be beaten up. Sometimes I just punched him in the face anyway, even after he had paid up.
    That was the culture there, be the bully or be bullied. The older boys respected the known faces, and left you alone; as they knew you were the top boy in your year.
    I was by no means the most vicious though, and the worst case I saw was a boy having lighter fluid poured over his blazer and school bag. He was then set fire to.
    The code of silence meant that the bully got away with it. Grassing on a bully was a like signing a death sentence in that school.
    Do I have any regrets? None.
    It was character building, and hardened me up for my profession later in life; which was full of sociopaths and totally ruthless animals. Bullies often get to be CEO's and Directors; as it's a character trait.
    When I look back, some of the bullying was psychotic. But I would be a liar if I said the thrill of the violence and power wasn't intoxicating as a teenager. There is a delicious pleasure in controlling another human being, and getting want one wants from them.
    In life, one has the choice of being the bully or bullied, that's the reality.

Ha ha ha ha "top boy in your year" brilliant!! You're trying too hard for any of that to be real!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- poa is site banned. Please stop replying to him/her. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I was bullied quite badly in primary school. I was in senior infants, and a few girls in 4th or 5th class decided to make my little life hell.

One day they followed me around the school yard slyly pinching me and hitting me, but the teacher paid no heed. My mam noticed that I was covered in bruises that night and marched me down to the "ring leaders" house. Her mother didn't give a ****e.

She's spent most of her adult life in and out of prison, so...you know...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 260 ✭✭Jimlh86

ken wrote: »
    Mod- poa is site banned. Please stop replying to him/her. Thank you.

Apologies I never thought to look! When I was in primary school a boy moved there, he wasn't in my class he was a year above but we were in the same classroom. It's over 20 years ago now and I can't remember how long it went on for but I don't recall him staying very long at the school.

I bullied him, at lunch break I would knock him to the ground and that kind of thing. I haven't the faintest idea why I did it the chap never did anything to me. To this day I think about it and I get a sick feeling in my stomach! It's such a horrible thing to do to a person.

Anyway unfortunately I'm not the CEO of a big company, sprinkling cocaine on my cornflakes... You know general big dog stuff

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

RayM wrote: »
    Or maybe they just got bored and moved on to hassling the kid whose mother had sex with the local parish priest. For that, I am very grateful to the clergy.
    Thanks Ray, you bastid. Just covered my screen with hot tea shot from my nose laughing. :pac:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'd like to think there was no bullying in our school when growing up. There was definite slagging and a bit of tomfoolery across all the groups of lads bit I can't say I saw much malice.

I skirted the groups nicely as although being a geek and a reasonably good student, being captain of both soccer and gaa teams meant I got to avoid much of the slagging from the usuals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

poa wrote: »
    Teachers taught pupils.
    Teachers thought about the curriculum.
    See the difference?
    Now you have learned something haven't you.
    And no, I am not an animal lover. I prefer women.

Jesus, and this guy called Aonghus Walter Mitty...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Some low-level taunting from the scaldy girls in my year (for Junior Cycle in secondary).

Tbh even then it didn't weight particularly heavily on me, as I had plenty of friends and wasn't unpopular.

Plus now most of them are "Full time mammy I <3 me angles" types who never ever leave our home town (which is a kip).

I wasn't particularly academic type, but have worked pretty hard and have achieved a lot of my goals in life, professionally and personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Nah I was never really bullied, but throughout school I was always one of the tallest, I was well built and I generally stood my ground if confronted, none of which made me an ideal target for bullies. Just goes to show the mentality of those cowards though, if you were small they picked on you, if you were large they generally didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

Yes at school. I went to a very small rural secondary school and so was limited in who your friends were. I never felt fully comfortable with anyone so they bullied me more until I had no one. Coupled with the fact that my mam was more interested in herself than my problems meant an entirely isolated time from 11 to 18. Left me with crippling depression that I'm still not out of and so far 6 years of medication and counselling.

College was the best years of my life - met some of my closest friends there even though I did struggle at the start with trusting new people after my experiences in school.

Now doing a PhD in research and there has been some 'mean girlness' about the office and I have had one very close friend stop speaking to me when I opened up to her about my mental health issues. It's a bit sad to see some of these teenage attitudes in the workplace but I'm better able to deal with it now than when I was at school.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

I was bullied in secondary school. There were a few reasons, I was intelligent and studious, I was fat, I wore glasses, I wasn't sporty and I just wasn't cool. Some b1tches decided to try make my life hell. It wasn't physical, it was more insidious and sly, with b1tching, starting rumours etc etc. It bothered me a lot at the time but I left it behind once I went to college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

In my primary school there was a certain level of bullying... it involved those in the remedial class. They had minor learning difficulties and an older pupil who returned to the school one day for some reason dubbed them "bent" so we started calling them the "benties". One or two fights arouse in the playground as a bit of a rivalry developed. One or two of those guys have ended up in prison but I still look back in disgust at that whole episode.

Secondary school (boys grammar) didn't really see much bullying. My group of friends would have had the craic and slagged/made up rumours about each other that were clearly untrue but everyone let on to believe them out of sheer spite out of whatever friend was being sullied. One fella who I wouldn't have been too friendly with did go too far imo and looking back deserved a smack in the face for getting too personal and insulting my father. Probably a minor regret there.

There was also the right of passage ie the wedgie on your birthday, we used to tell the older ones at the back of the bus that it was so and so's birthday, they'd usually protest and deny it, bus pass would be checked and whether they were lying or not they would be dragged down to the back of the bus regardless to take their punishment. The more astute student always went commando on his birthday! It's odd but none of the quieter pupils wherever really targeted, if you were cheeky, up for the craic or engaged with the older ones in a bit of slaggin then you'd be a prime target

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I went to a mixed school for Junior and Senior infants and there wasn't much bullying that vi can remember.

Maybe you were the bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

From 2nd year to about halfway through 5th year I was in and out of the emergency room on a regular basis due to a bunch of lads who took exception to me.

Started with one lad who picked a fight and it didn't go well for him.
    Then he brought along a mate and it still didn't go his way.
    Next time there were 4 or 5 of them.
    Gradually they moved on from their fists and feet to bricks, crutches and knuckledusters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Luckily enough never bullied myself, my younger sister had it rough for a while in primary school from two girls who were in her class, one day her pal next day little monsters.

We went to a small rural school, one day it got real bad, my sister sat beside me, one of the little bitches was poking and proding her when the teacher wasnt looking.

Said to her she was going to "kill" her after school.

Sister started to shake and snapped, turned around and smacked her hard in the face.

Jesus the noise of that slap and the look on the bullies face.
    (little bullies side kick too!)
    She then realised what she had done, turned back to me, shaking and said "what do i do now?".

I said keep going! By God she did, rained punches and slaps on her!
    My little sister had to be pulled off the little wagon, blood snot and tears were running down her face!

She was suspend for the week (Mother and Father knew it was coming, tried with the School - they didnt care) Mam and Dad said "Well done" my little sister wasn't bullied again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭dinorebel

I call shenanigans on that.

It's not shenanigans I'd call him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I was bullied during most of primary and secondary school, it's something that really has a big impact on your life. I think it happens everywhere, but people who aren't directly affected tend not to notice, or they think it's not as bad as it really is. At least that's what it was like when I was in school, I guess these days people are a bit more aware of bullying. Didn't notice any bullying in college, but I did a part time degree, guess that's a bit different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

Most of the bullying I saw in my school was aimed at two members of staff. It was actually pretty horrible stuff. One of the teachers was a little deaf (but capable). He was actually a nice old guy and very interested in this subject. He got absolute hell.

The other teacher was gay, very 'camp' and he had been given homophobic abuse for his entire career. It was actually really nasty, name calling behind his back, doing impressions of him and he had a name that seemed to have been there for decades.

Older students tended to treat him with respect but the 1st to 3rd years were absolutely horrific to him.

Again a lovely guy, dedicated teacher, got great results and I still would bump into him on the street now and then and have a chat.

Thinking back on it, I have no idea how he put up with it and remained so friendly and good humoured!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

School eh? Best years of your li...... no I hated every second. Cannot bring myself to forgive bullies. Doesn't matter that it's over 20 years ago. Still angry and hate filled towards them.

Advertisement