Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Albums you have and think "why did I buy it"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Razorllght believed in recording their albums live, with few tune ups or overdubs. I think the sound suffered as a result.
    The one song I cannot stand is "America"

"All my life, watching America. All my life, there's panic in America. Oh oh oh. There's trouble in America. Oh oh oh oh".

What DREADFUL lyrics

Oh gawd that song 'I met a girl, she asked me my name, so I told her what it waaaaaas'. For jesus' sake. That little scrote spent every bit of oxygen people gave him insisting he was the new Dylan as well, rat faced little sh1t

Edit: I have the first Razorlight album somewhere and I played it to death :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Ja Rule - The Last Temptation

I'm really into hip-hop but when I was younger, I used to get drawn in by commercial hip hop, guys who put one or two party jams as singles and people would buy their albums because of that. I learnt my lesson from this travesty of an album. I'm massively ashamed to say it's in my record collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 rhabarbarum

I have a fair share of bought-on-the-whim albums. Mostly obscure or indie pieces that I listened to once and then threw into a farthest corner of my house, like Sound in Spirit by Chanticleer and something by Papercranes and Haushka.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

HensVassal wrote: »
    Couple of duds during my metal years

Nothingface by Voivod -crap
    7th son of a 7th son by Iron Maiden -crap
    Save Your Prayers by Waysted -more crap

Nothingface? Crap? I hope ye die roaring.:mad:

Seventh son is class too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

'The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle' appropriately named, it was no 'Never Mind The Bollocks'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Amen to that. The BDSM lady midget was kinda cool, though... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Oh gawd that song 'I met a girl, she asked me my name, so I told her what it waaaaaas'. For jesus' sake. That little scrote spent every bit of oxygen people gave him insisting he was the new Dylan as well, rat faced little sh1t

Edit: I have the first Razorlight album somewhere and I played it to death :o
    Was that Oxegen 2007? You could feel the tide turn against those pricks over the weekend.

Not that I was ever into them, I was too busy at the very front of the smallest tent watching the National :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

satguy wrote: »
    I could also add "In Through the Out Door" ..

No wonder they put it in brown paper bag,,,

I remember thinking, " did Jimmy Page misplace his guitar somewhere " ..What the hell..?
    A week later I bought The Clash's London Calling,, one still gets played, the other is in the attic with Van Halen's 1984.
    Not one of their finest, but it had its moments. 'In the Evening' and 'All My Love' stand out, as does Bonzo's half-time shuffle on 'Fool in the Rain'. But you can definitely see that Page's heroin problem had become an issue.

I don't own this album anymore but...

Lostprophets - Start Something

Just like Linkin Park they were basically a crap nu-metal boyband. I think I bought this album on the strength of the single 'Burn Burn' and then discovered that the rest of the album wasn't really that good. I was only 16 at the time.

This album was still lurking somewhere in my music collection, gathering dust, until certain relevations about you know what came out about you know who. The CD met a gruesome death there and then.

As Frankie Boyle said, at least he made sure the welsh won't be associated with sheep shaggin anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Jaqen Hghar

Duggy747 wrote: »
    This for me. I wasn't even big into them to begin with (was anybody?) but at the time I liked the odd song from them.

The other week for the craíc I decided to relisten to them and, holy shít, the lyrics in their songs are goddawful. Nu-metal music aged hard and really screams the year 2000, a lot of bands never made it out alive.

Also recently found a Staind album I had, don't know why I even had an album from those miserable bastards.

I agree, Duggy, it has aged horribly. It was certainly an odd fusion of genres in retrospect, rap and metal. I actually got into them originally because I was a big fan of the WWF at the time. They used a lot of Bizkit's tracks in their events and advertising and that's when I first heard of them. From the perspective of an eighteen year old male at the turn of the millennium, they were new and innovative. From the perspective of a thirty four year old male today, I can see it was uninspired tripe with a generous dollop of piss and vinegar :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Ugly Kid Joe - America's Least Wanted

(Shudders)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭heathledgerlove

brevity wrote: »
    The Thrills...

"Just don't go back to big Sur..."

:) Got a postcard because I bought it the day it came out in Zivago! My friend got a Dandy Worhols album they stamped because it was the release date too

cournioni wrote: »
    What?! Have a word with yourself man.

I know! This Kid! No respect!

A cousin dragged me along to see Staind years ago, that turgid muck echoing around a half empty point depot had to have been one of the lowlights of my gig going.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

galljga1 wrote: »
    Anyone else think Conor Deasy sounds like the shrimp from Shark Tale?

Back when they were big they seemed to be popping up everywhere on TV and Radio, giving live performances. I have never heard a band before or since with such a ropey live singer; he was atrocious!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Duggy747 wrote: »
    This for me. I wasn't even big into them to begin with (was anybody?) but at the time I liked the odd song from them.

The other week for the craíc I decided to relisten to them and, holy shít, the lyrics in their songs are goddawful. Nu-metal music aged hard and really screams the year 2000, a lot of bands never made it out alive.

Also recently found a Staind album I had, don't know why I even had an album from those miserable bastards.

Limp Bizkit rocked my thirteen year old world, but even back then I knew the lyrics were stooopid. Fred Durst is an embarrassment. But, to be fair, the actual musicians in the band were pretty talented. If you could surgically remove Fred from the tunes there's be still stuff there to enjoy.

Also, Break Stuff. It's as dumb as a bag of rocks, but as a musical articulation of mindless teenage rage, it takes some beating:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Adele albums, its time to move on now like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Back in our day, you had no choice. You had to part with your hard earned money from a part time job worth tuppence an hour to head to HMV on a Saturday morning to "invest" in what you hoped would be great album.
    No other way of knowing. And...having spent so much, you'd give it lots of chances...hoping to get your money's worth out of it before finally admitting defeat. Better luck next time.
    Kids these days will never understand the gamble we had to have to find our favourite sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭blue note

God people are a lot harsher on bands than I am. Some albums I have I think some people expect me to be embarrassed by - kool and the gang, Fleetwood mac, Coldplay. But I still like them all and will listen to them all on occasion.

The one that is regrettable though - James blunt. I heard him in jules holland one night and everyone was gushing in their praise of him and I liked goodbye my lover, so I bought it. I tried to convince myself I like it, but alas, it was ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

People think you should be embarrassed by Fleetwood Mac? :-O

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭blue note

fatknacker wrote: »
    Back in our day, you had no choice. You had to part with your hard earned money from a part time job worth tuppence an hour to head to HMV on a Saturday morning to "invest" in what you hoped would be great album.
    No other way of knowing. And...having spent so much, you'd give it lots of chances...hoping to get your money's worth out of it before finally admitting defeat. Better luck next time.
    Kids these days will never understand the gamble we had to have to find our favourite sounds.

I think that's a great shame. I used to buy albums based on recommendations. Fair enough there were a few that were a bit disappointing, but the joy when you buy something like marquee moon and take it home and find out it's simply brilliant is something that the modern generation won't get. They'll get to hear them for the first time. But not with that satisfaction of taking a gamble with £10 and it coming off perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Ultravox were basically dead on their feet before Midge Ure came along in 1981, and with him they produced several great albums including Vienna and Rage in Eden. His last 80s album with them, U-Vox, got panned for its less electronic style, though I think it has several very good songs. After Midge left, keyboardist Billy Currie made a couple of albums under the Ultravox name with anonymous session types, and I bought one of them, Ingenuity. I think it was in the bargain bin, but I still paid too much for it. :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

blue note wrote: »
    I think that's a great shame. I used to buy albums based on recommendations. Fair enough there were a few that were a bit disappointing, but the joy when you buy something like marquee moon and take it home and find out it's simply brilliant is something that the modern generation won't get. They'll get to hear them for the first time. But not with that satisfaction of taking a gamble with £10 and it coming off perfectly.
    Haha! Really funny you picked Marquee Moon as your example, bought that when I was 13 just a little bit before I got the internet. Knew nothing about it other than it being mentioned briefly in a review of the second Strokes album (I wasn't even a Strokes fan) and I only got up to Dublin about once a year, so it was a huge risk.

First listen I was completely baffled, didn't listen to it for a few days again.
    Second listen it was f*cking jawdropping.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

bnt wrote: »
    Ultravox were basically dead on their feet before Midge Ure came along in 1981, and with him they produced several great albums including Vienna and Rage in Eden. His last 80s album with them, U-Vox, got panned for its less electronic style, though I think it has several very good songs. After Midge left, keyboardist Billy Currie made a couple of albums under the Ultravox name with anonymous session types, and I bought one of them, Ingenuity. I think it was in the bargain bin, but I still paid too much for it. :o
    Their problem was being too good musicians for that kind of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Ive been going through this thread and rediscovering old bangers, particularly the mid 2000s indie. Keep 'em coming, lads.

edbrez wrote: »
    Their problem was being too good musicians for that kind of music.

Would say the opposite, that Midge Ure was at his best in albums like Vienna and in genuinely original tracks like Mr. X, whereas his later solo career was typified by appalling dirge like "Cold Cold Heart".

And now I've gone and reminded myself of that song.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Albums by Clannad, Anastasia, The Spin Doctors and Bob Sinclair come to mind. They were all bought because I liked one or two songs off them. I ended up never listening to them, as the rest of the songs were desperate. And yet I still hang onto them :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

Would say the opposite, that Midge Ure was at his best in albums like Vienna and in genuinely original tracks like Mr. X, whereas his later solo career was typified by appalling dirge like "Cold Cold Heart".
    New technology ruined a lot of the 1980s electronic artists. They all switched to digital and FM keyboards and it sounded sh-t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Supernatural by Santana. Please don't judge me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

edbrez wrote: »
    New technology ruined a lot of the 1980s electronic artists. They all switched to digital and FM keyboards and it sounded sh-t.
    Yes and no. When commercial pop bands jumped on the electronic bandwagon they did so in the most tasteless manner, with horrible-sounding synths.

On the other hand you had artists like Kate Bush who made innovative use of the Fairlight sampler, and the Roland TR-808 drum machine which formed the backbone for dance music and hip-hop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

The Big Lebowski Soundtrack

3 good songs and the rest was bollocks

Worst track I remember is this monstrosity:

Advertisement