Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Albums you have and think "why did I buy it"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

"Falling into you" - Celine Dion

No, I have no idea what I was thinking either at the time :o
    Glad I'm not the only one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,688 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Robert Plant "Shaken 'N' Stirred". Riiiiiiiggggghhtttttt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭satguy

Van Halen 1984 ,,, God it was awful ,,, pure rubbish...

I was 21 at the time ,,, it was an album aimed a 14year olds ,,, God knows how it sold 20 million copies...

I bought The New Radicals album "Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too" based on the outstanding song "You Get What You Give". My god it was APPALLING. He isn't singing for a lot of it. Mostly moaning. And then he writes a number of songs for Ronan Keating....one of which was very good "Life Is A Rollercoaster". He seems to have forgotten how to write decent songs for himself though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

I bought a Spice Girls album when I was about 12.

When I was about 16, the thought of having that in my collection filled me with shame. I asked my younger neighbour who I used to babysit if they wanted it and they were delighted.

It was a big mistake because they basically played it on full blast which I could hear through the walls non stop for about 2 weeks!

• Advertisement

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I bought The New Radicals album "Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too" based on the outstanding song "You Get What You Give". My god it was APPALLING.

That was a great single alright, they were a bit cocky though, afair they went drinking and failed to turn up for Top of the Pops and shrugged their shoulders as they thought they had a lifetime of hits ahead!

Have a good few trance and electro house compilations from the early 00s that have been untouched in years. I love electronic music, just not that Ministry or Ibiza stuff any more. A lot of it seems to have morphed into the vileness that is EDM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I f*cking love Europe, anthem after anthem.

Yes. I am being serious.

Seen them in Olympia last year and they didn't play Carrie. Was devastated.

Growing up I always heard Joey singing Caaaaaaathy instead of Caaaaaaaarrie :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I've loads of dodgy nu-metal albums from back in the day.

The answer to the question, why? I was young and stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill. It's a terrible album that was so of its time that it hasn't aged well. I think it's the only real album in my collection that I'm embarrassed about.

That b*tch blew up my CD drive. My gf of the time wanted to transfer the CD to MP3. Disc shattered in the drive. Had to get replacement. Never forgive her.

• Advertisement

That b*tch blew up my CD drive. My gf of the time wanted to transfer the CD to MP3. Disc shattered in the drive. Had to get replacement. Never forgive her.

It's a bit much telling us how we should treat her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Ronald Wilson Reagan

Nu-metal seems to get a bad rep, but I must ask what other genre has songs that features 47 ****s?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Natalia Imbruglia-Left of the Middle. :o

Fairly sure I bought a Scooter cassette from a friend for 2 pounds as well, had a payment plan of 50p a week. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Cienciano wrote: »
    And One in a Million

And the opening line from Mama Kin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I f*cking love Europe, anthem after anthem.

Yes. I am being serious.

I will put good money on you owning a pair of wrangler jeans :pac:

Nu-metal seems to get a bad rep, but I must ask what other genre has songs that features 47 ****s?

The video for Windowlicker has 44 f***s and 127 profanities in the first few minutes of dialogue.

But obviously the Aphex Twin albums belong in the opposite thread, the "albums you bought and are still amazed by years later"...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,395 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Thought of another, the Blue Nile "Walk Across the Rooftops". We'll I know why I bought it, cos critics loved it and everyone said it was just amazing. One listen, well mostly fast forwarded to get to any catchy bits, and it was consigned to the dust gathering section.

I love that album ;)

Mine is Mike oldfields 'islands'...No amount of coke can be excused for that drivel !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Many years ago....I bought a SpinDoctors album, crusty bullsh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I love that album ;)

Mine is Mike oldfields 'islands'...No amount of coke can be excused for that drivel !!

:eek::eek::eek::eek: One of Oldfield's best in my opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

• Mansun - Attack of the Grey Lantern.
    • Nirvana - Bleach
    • Hard-Fi - Stars of CCTV
    • A couple of Eminem albums

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I love that album ;)

Oh Christ, good call.

I mean, I love ambient, I love electronic but Oldfield and Jarre are real...dinosaurs. I'll forgive Jarre because Oxygene 4 and Rendez Vous 4 were just so good. But Oldfield was like a self indulgent prog rocker who churned out concept albums full of noodling and fluting around and bad songs stretched thinly over hours. Now all I can listen to by him is a wonderful few minutes of Tubular Bells where he introduces the various instruments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Ronald Wilson Reagan

:p
    • Mansun - Attack of the Grey Lantern.
    • Nirvana - Bleach
    • Hard-Fi - Stars of CCTV
    • A couple of Eminem albums

What a negative creep you are.:p

:p

What a negative creep you are.:p

I'm glad buying Bleach stopped me getting my hands on Incesticide :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

I've never been into novelty singles or pop fads so don't really have any albums I'd be embarrassed to admit owning. Back in the days when the music industry was merrily scalping the living daylights out of fans CDs cost an arm & a leg. Personally I always thought long & hard before forking over the princely sum of £15 - 20 & even since the advent of cheaper CDs I've given some consideration as to what I want in my collection. There are a few artists in my collection that I listen to much less than I used to - Oasis & Franz Ferdinand would be two examples of the top of my head but I certainly wouldn't feel any embarrassment at owning their stuff.

Very dubious album title "Chocolate Starfish & The Hot Dog Flavored Water" ? I assume it has something to do with anal sex.
    Liked the song "Rollin" despite myself, and "My Way Or The Highway". However that genre seemed to date very quickly

Most of the CDs on this list can be bought for €2 in Dealz or filling stations. Which goes to show that a lot of people have outsourced their embarrassment

My first album when I was 14 was Adam & The Ants "Kings Of The Wild Frontier" and first single was Bow Wow Wow "I Want Candy". Both bands had connections. Was shocked to learn that "I Want Candy" was a cover. The song "Antmusic" is still a classic in my book...and I am nearly 50. The rest of the album was mostly rubbish, and the lyrics are indecipherable with his mumbling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Birneybau wrote: »
    Elegant Slumming by M People. Beat that!

Duran Duran....Seven and the ragged tiger!

Hangs head in shame.

Hangs head in shame.

I still love New Moon On Monday

• Advertisement

Hangs head in shame.

Ah no, New Moon on Monday and The Reflex are catchy.

DESPERATE title though. I like Duran Duran, but they wrote stadium busting pop songs, they should have dropped the student arthouse title.

Advertisement