Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Albums you have and think "why did I buy it"

Options
  • 02-05-2016 3:24pm

Everyone looks back through their collection and wonders what was I thinking at the time.

Was going through CDs recently and found my wife's Hard-Fi, Razorlight and Franz Ferdinand CDs from her mid 00s "awful music" era.

Got to thinking about my own, pretty sure Texas "Southside" is lying around somewhere. And a couple of Cure efforts. If I wasn't a hoarder I'd bin them.

You have any that you'd rather hide in case someone calls round and looks through them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill. It's a terrible album that was so of its time that it hasn't aged well. I think it's the only real album in my collection that I'm embarrassed about.

Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill. It's a terrible album that was so of its time that it hasn't aged well. I think it's the only real album in my collection that I'm embarrassed about.

On the other hand, it is an iconic album...if not one I like either. It's very...raw. Think she had come out of a break up and a few songs were pretty pointed, like "You Oughta Know" which afair featured Dave Navarro and Flea...which were 2 heavyweights for a relatively unknown singer who had just moved from pop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

Words in music CD by Irish singer Liam Merriman. Think it's his only album in a 40-year career and easy to hear why.

Thought of another, the Blue Nile "Walk Across the Rooftops". We'll I know why I bought it, cos critics loved it and everyone said it was just amazing. One listen, well mostly fast forwarded to get to any catchy bits, and it was consigned to the dust gathering section.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Couple of duds during my metal years

Nothingface by Voivod -crap
    7th son of a 7th son by Iron Maiden -crap
    Save Your Prayers by Waysted -more crap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

As a teenager I went through a phase of buying an album based on liking one song by an artist.
    OMC, they of "How Bizarre" being one.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Travis - The Man Who
    And that one from The Strokes that everyone bought round the start of the Millenium

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

kfallon wrote: »
    Travis - The Man Who

For people who find Coldplay too exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Guns N' Roses - Lies

Really is a terrible album.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Elegant Slumming by M People. Beat that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I bought this on CD for comedic purposes.

d%20davis.jpg
    'Castleblaney to Skibbereen, hamburgers, chips & beans,
    I feel like I'm about to explode, my body's at home but my heart's on the road.'

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

"Falling into you" - Celine Dion

No, I have no idea what I was thinking either at the time :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Guns an Roses that f ing chinese thing. God it was so awful. Im gonna burn it shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Guns N' Roses - Lies

Worth it for Patience alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Stereophonics - J.E.E.P.

I loved Performance and Cocktails at the time (although I also think that one is fairly boring in retrospect) but J.E.E.P. was just awful. There was a lot of boring post-Britpop dross floating about in the late-90s/early-00s and I was naive enough to fall for some of it. Thankfully, in my later years, I discovered that there was much more interesting music being made during that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Get Rich Or Die Trying - 50 Cent

Nothing wrong with The Cure btw.

Lyaiera wrote: »
    For people who find Coldplay too exciting.

Imagine a collection with Coldplay, Travis AND Keane? You'd just feel...pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

You have any that you'd rather hide in case someone calls round and looks through them?

Honestly not embarrassed by anything in my music collection - I obviously liked it once upon a time and that's reason enough to have it, but plenty I can't listen to anymore. Marilyn Manson is a good example. I'm a completely different person than I was back then and I can't relate to those angry feelings anymore.

To be honest I'm more annoyed at the likes of albums I would have bought back when Virgin were doing 5 albums for €30 and I'd end up with filler albums that I never really listened to just to get the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Imagine a collection with Coldplay, Travis AND Keane? You'd just feel...pity.

And Snowpatrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Europe -- The Final Countdown.
    Ah the innocence and stupidity of youth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Everyone looks back through their collection and wonders what was I thinking at the time.

Was going through CDs recently and found my wife's Hard-Fi, Razorlight and Franz Ferdinand CDs from her mid 00s "awful music" era.

Got to thinking about my own, pretty sure Texas "Southside" is lying around somewhere. And a couple of Cure efforts. If I wasn't a hoarder I'd bin them.

What on earth is wrong with The Cure? :confused: Nothing at all embarrassing about having them in your collection!
    And I wouldn't say Franz Ferdinand are that bad either, a whole album is a bit much but "Take Me Out" will always be a bit of a choon.

I must admit I did have that Hard-Fi album, and can't say I've listened it to much since. It came out when I was in my teenage, NME-reading years and looking back it was very much of its time, I think. I still have a fondness for "Hard To Beat", but "Cash Machine" is a little bit cringe. Musically they were fine imo, it was just the lyrics that made them a bit.....naff.
    I also have a couple of albums by CSS; fun band but again very much of their time.
    I have an album by the Noisettes that I've never actually listened to; I bought it for the one song I liked ("Don't Stop The Rhythm"). Could be a great album, for all I know, but I've never been pushed enough to investigate. :P

When I was a kid I had loads of shíte in my collection; S Club 7, Aqua, B*Witched and Vengaboys all made appearances. :o I was a child though, and this was back in the days of cassette tapes, so I have that excuse. (In fairness, Aqua had a few credible tunes; "Turn Back Time" is quite a good song by any standard.)

In my late-teenage years (which was about ten years after the album first came out) this was one of my favourite albums of all time. It's very much a "young person" album, I think. Doesn't do much for me any more, even though the singles from that album were still very very good. (Excluding "Ironic", obviously! :p )
    Travis - The Man Who
    And that one from The Strokes that everyone bought round the start of the Millenium

I liked "Turn" but that was about as far as I ever got with Travis.
    "Is This It" is still generally regarded as a "classic" noughties album, I thought? They're a very inconsistent band The Strokes, but I certainly wouldn't be embarrassed having anything by them on my shelf.

EDIT: Oh, I had a Jennifer Lopez album when I was about 11 or 12, and probably should have been old enough to know better.

Suas11 wrote: »
    Get Rich Or Die Trying - 50 Cent

I'm on Siouxsie Sioux's side when it comes to Robert Smith. Even if she was a bit cruel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭brevity

The Thrills...

"Just don't go back to big Sur..."

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Europe -- The Final Countdown.
    Ah the innocence and stupidity of youth.

I f*cking love Europe, anthem after anthem.

Yes. I am being serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I dinto have it anymore, but if I did, I'd be wondering ;-)

First ever bit of music I bought, a single, went halves with my sister we paid 75pence each for a single that was in top of pops.....in 1978.....

Father Abraham and the smurfs...keep on smurfin. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

brevity wrote: »
    The Thrills...

"Just don't go back to big Sur..."

They were great at the time, dont deny it.
    Im going straight onto youtube now to see the lads!!!

Vojera wrote: »
    Honestly not embarrassed by anything in my music collection - I obviously liked it once upon a time and that's reason enough to have it, but plenty I can't listen to anymore. Marilyn Manson is a good example. I'm a completely different person than I was back then and I can't relate to those angry feelings anymore.

I was the same with Korn. Had all their albums when I was 12. By the time I hit 14, I'd lost all interest. Still listen to them every so often, out of nostalgia mainly. "Here To Stay" still resonates me as it was the song that got me into them.

Funnily enough I had the opposite trajectory with Manson; I only really started listening to him properly within the past few years and I'm 26. :P Then again, I'm still full of post-teenage angst that's never properly gone away! His latest isn't a bad record, certainly worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Suas11 wrote: »

Everything right in fact. Some of the best arrangements from the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Guns N' Roses - Lies

Worth it for Patience alone!

And One in a Million

Advertisement