Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Best Supervillain Tournament!

Options
  • 28-04-2016 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭

Macbeth, Darth Vader, Hans Gruber...I think most of us would agree for a story to be a success it needs not only a good hero, but a good villain too. And when it comes to the realm of superhero stories, the role of the supervillain is of vital importance.

We have recently completed the Boards Best Superhero Tournament which saw Batman defeat Wolverine in the final to be crowned the champion. The Supervillain tournament will operate in a similar way.

The idea of the game is simple and is adapted from games often seen on the pro wrestling forum, so credit to the guys there for the concept. It works like so: I have compiled a list of 64 supervillains and randomized the names. In Round 1 I will present 'supervillain ties' where you have to vote and determine which villain deserves to goes through. The reason for your choice is down to you.

The first villain to get to 3 votes qualifies for the next round and the loser gets eliminated. Please try to give a reason why you are voting the way you are. We will go from 64 villains to 32, and then to 16, and so on until we reach the final.

I should point out that in compiling this list I ended up with a lot more names than the 64 I had limited myself to, and as a result significant omissions are sadly inevitable. I hope there will be no glaring omissions here, but if there are I apologize in advance.

And so the draw of 64 supervillains has been made and I can tell you even at this early stage there are some crackers on the way. At least one could have been a potential final, I reckon; but that is the way the draw worked out.

So, without further ado, here is the first tie of the tournament, and it's a Marvel vs DC clash which is quite a contrast of styles ...

The Kingpin

250px-Kingpinm.png

VS

Doomsday

250px-Doomsday_%28BATMANSUPERMAN_3.1_DOOMSDAY%29.jpg

It's the enemy of Spidey, Daredevil and The Punisher, crime boss Wilson Fisk aka The Punisher, pitting his wits against the monster who was suggested to have killed Superman at one stage.

Who comes out on top in this one? First one to 3 votes advances to Round 2.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,296 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Kingpin for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Must you provide an explanation for your vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Must you provide an explanation for your vote.

No, I'll accept votes without them, but they are welcome.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭sonic85

I'm gonna go with Kingpin here. Doomsday is extremely powerful but isnt very interesting as a character - it's just a straightforward monster. Whereas Kingpin has a bit of depth character wise has fighting ability but is cunning too. Well rounded so to speak.

Kingpin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Wilson Fisk for me because he's caused so many hero's problems in the past spiderman, daredevil and punisher the main ones and he's such a fantasticlly written character too more than just a big ****er in a white coat

Doomsday will always be the guy that killed Superman in the comics ...but what else ?

Fisk for me

• Advertisement

Kingpin figures out a way to foil Doomsday's hopes and reach Round 2. Next up it's another DC vs Marvel bout.

General Zod

220px-GeneralZodForPresident20084.jpg

VS

The Sentinels

220px-Sentinels.PNG

It's the evil Kryptonian banished to the Phantom Zone, General Zod, taking on the giant, mutant-hunting machines that have made life hell for the X-Men, the Sentinels.

Who wins this battle? Cast your votes now.

No contest here Zod wins this hands down. The Sentinels are cool in their own right but they're just pre programmed robots.

Zod is on another level - has a great back story and great powers.

Zod

Has to be Zod.

I'm gonna go with the Sentinels terrifying creations robot or not something with the sole purpose of wiping out an entire species pretty terrifying almost hitler like

Zod is just an evil superman to me

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Zod.

• Advertisement

The Sentinels are forced to kneel before Zod who flies into Round 2. Next up is a battle of Batman and Superman's enemies respectively...

Deadshot

250px-A_prime_pic_of_Deadshot.png

VS

Brainiac

Brainiac%28STAS%29.jpg

It's deadly marksman and Suicide Squad member, Deadshot, versus the super-intelligent, extraterrestrial android, Brainiac.

Which villain reaches the next round? Cast your votes now.

Neither of these particularly interest me to be honest. I was considering not voting in this round but screw it!

I'll go with Deadshot here. I think he's a more interesting character than Brainiac

Brainiac

I'm going to go with Brainiac on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭lougal88

Brainiac for me. I enjoy his involvement in the Superman origins story.

He is also far more evil than Deadshot. Cant wait to see him in a future Live Action movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I'm late to the party and this vote don't change nothing, but Deadshot.

Brainiac outsmarts Deadshot to enter Round 2. Next up we have a battle of two members of Batman's rogues gallery.

Catwoman

220px-Catwoman-ninelives-tpb.jpg

VS

Two-Face

250px-Two-Face_%28BATMAN_AND_ROBIN_23.1_TWO-FACE%29.jpg

It's a character who you may recall popped up in the Best Superhero tournament, Selina Kyle's alter ego, Catwoman, taking on the coin-flipping psychopath, Harvey Dent aka Two-Face.

Who do you think is the better villain? Vote now.

Catwoman all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Two face

Was never gone on Catwoman as a character. Don't know why - meh.

Two Face is much more interesting - a proper psychopath.

Two Face

• Advertisement

Two Face,more of a villian than catwoman.

If it was a coin toss, I guess it wasn't tails as Two-Face earns your support to reach Round 2. Next up we have a fascinating Marvel vs DC clash.

The Red Skull

200px-Capa038.jpg

VS

Darkseid

250px-DarkseidCrain.jpg

It's Captain America's archenemy, The Red Skull, taking on one of the DC universe's most powerful villains, Darkseid.

Which villain ought to go forward? Vote now.

Darkseid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Ooh, I'm a big fan of the Red Skull but it has to be Darkseid!

Darkseid wins this fairly comfortably I think. His sheer power alone is enough to see him through!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

The Red Skull

Darkseid overpowers the Red Skull to reach the next round. Next up we have another DC vs Marvel clash.

Black Adam

Blackadam52.PNG

VS

Loki

225px-Loki_Laufeyson_Earth_616.jpg

It's the primary foe of Captain Marvel aka Shazam, Black Adam, facing off against the archenemy of Thor, Loki.

Which villain should reach Round 2? Cast your votes now.

Loki. Probably the only villain that's been worth anything in the marvel universe so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Loki.... I haven´t a clue about BLACK adam...

(Hasn´t loki become an anti hero, more recently in Marvel... not that he shouldn´t be in the villians gallery, just a comment)

• Advertisement

Loki by a mile he was the reason the avengers formed in the 1st place even in the comics

Advertisement