Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 years living together, one child and he still won't divorce his wife!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

OP from your posts you don't appear to even like your partner never mind love him. There doesn't appear to be much respect there at either side. You said you feel angry, bitter and frustrated and he said he feels washed up and unable to commit. This thread is descending into a bitching blog about him (all mouth and no trousers?) and at the same time looking for advise on how to get him to commit (withhold sex!)?
    He is who he is, you are not happy and need him to change into a different person. I honestly don't understand why ye are together, your relationship sounds horrible. I don't blame him for not wanting to commit to it, I think he is actually doing you a massive favour. It would make a bad situation worse. He has a financial responsibility to your child and he must honour that.
    If you are not happy with the situation move on (you kicked him out before) but don't stay until you despise him and then blame him for you not taking action to leave a bad situation. Make choices for yourself. It is really telling that you said he was overburdened and you didn't want to be with him at the beginning but he persuaded you! Don't be persuaded by someone else's words/promises if you feel something is not right. CaraMay is right if you are going to be that passive and rely on someone else to completely lead the relationship you will pay the price.
    There is not one thing I your posts that would make me think you two are good relationship material. The cracks appeared when you were pregnant (soon after ye got together) and have got bigger and bigger. I honestly think breaking apart is what you should be considering, learn to stand on your own feet. The bitterness, frustration, anger you say you are feeling and the kicking him out and taking him back can't be good for your kids, they must be sensing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

tcif wrote: »
    Don't be so sure about that:

"The Civil Partnership and Certain Rights and Obligations of Cohabitants Act 2010 came into effect on 1st January 2011. This Act introduced rights and obligations for qualified cohabitants under the Redress Scheme.

A qualified cohabitant is an adult who has been cohabiting for at least 5 years or 2 years if you have a child with your partner, and
    are financially dependent on the other cohabitant.

Where one of the cohabitants is still married, neither of the cohabitants will be considered a qualified cohabitant unless the married cohabitant has lived apart from his/her spouse for at least 4 of the previous 5 years."

He meets that lived apart criteria. Plus you two are together more than 6 years and have a child, moreover one with special needs. He can't shrug that off and you need to make sure he shoulders his responsibilities fairly.

What about inheritance rights? If her partner sholuld pass away, the wife would get everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CorkSinead

I feel wretched today tbh. I feel like I've invested everything and now have to face the future with a special needs child and another child without security on my own.

I do take on all your points, and I'm just grateful to anyone who has taken the time to notice my posts and reply.

The counselor asked why I kept taking him back, and I just thought, I must be totally down to just accept this. I don't want to be the person who keeps taking their boyfriend back.

One of my difficulties is that I have nowhere to go and no way of building up savings. At least for the next 2 years. My special needs child, it's a long story, we've A home tutor but no one can get him to work with them except me. Since I've taken it all onboard my child has improved dramatically. I've a background in this area - but I have to do work with him several hours every day.

But I don't want to be in a relationship that someone else doesn't value. I think I have two options, to move back in with relations temporarily (who live a long way away), or see if he can move out temporarily for the next one or two years until either of us are able to get more money to pay for rent/house.

So for the next two years I wanted to be able to concentrate on my son.

What about inheritance rights? If her partner sholuld pass away, the wife would get everything?

I imagine so. Even, as it stands, he's left everything to his children, as their mother and one is under 18, she'd be able I presume to hold it on their behalf until they were of age. Either way, I'm totally stuffed if God forbid anything happens to him.

OP from your posts you don't appear to even like your partner never mind love him. There doesn't appear to be much respect there at either side.

That is also a very fair point. I suppose I am totally furious at the moment. I did joke a bit here, but inside I'm just falling apart really.

My good will has been worn down. And yet we are very good to each other day to day, we enjoy each other's company a lot and do a lot of little things that care for each other. It's the underlying commitment, or lack of, which seems to have poisoned us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

CorkSinead wrote: »
    That is also a very fair point. I suppose I am totally furious at the moment. I did joke a bit here, but inside I'm just falling apart really.

My good will has been worn down. And yet we are very good to each other day to day, we enjoy each other's company a lot and do a lot of little things that care for each other. It's the underlying commitment, or lack of, which seems to have poisoned us.

But he has made a commitment? He lives with you, has a child with you and supports you as a stay at home mother.
    Do you think a divorce is going to change that somehow? He's still going to pay a large amount of money to his previous family because that's who he is.
    Maybe if you decided to work on your relationship and stabilise it he would be more likely to want to divorce her and marry you......one thing I do know is forcing someone to act a certain way never gets us very far.

Surely if you child has special needs and a tutor you get DCA and a carers payment? That's nearly 1300 a month before you ever add lone parents, rent allowance etc so you would manage alone if you had to.

• Administrators Posts: 13,793 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

he's left everything to his children,.

Does that include your child together? The house you live in is in his name? So if something were to happen him, unlikely but not unheard of, do his children (all of them) get a share of your house? Could his wife force you out, or force you to buy her children out so they can get their inheritance?

I think you need to visit a solicitor together to get all the CORRECT information. Your situation is complex, but proper legal advice will lay it all out for you. Marriage is very romantic, but it is also a very practical legal contract. There's a chance he's just so overwhelmed by all the aspects of his separation, plus his new relationship and family that he just doesn't know where to start.

Ask him to go to a solicitor with you as a first step, not necessarily to divorce but to find out the legalities of where EVERYONE stands. If he doesn't, I suggest you go by yourself.

OP it is clear you are broken from this. Badgering him for commitment when you are furious with him for not committing is counter productive. OP when you stop caring if he is giving commitment is when he will give it. Funny how when you threw him out he came back with a change of heart. But you have to mean it not just be 'testing' him. I'll be honest if I was him I would not want to commit, it would scare me that you place a lower value on the quality of our relationship than a legal commitment. It surprises me that the majority of this thread is focused on pensions, maintenance, tax credits inheritance, exes, finance than whether the relationship (emotionally) is right. Those things getting messy are a symptom of a bad relationship not a cause. Your relationship was on rocky ground before those became an issue. In fact you said you liked how generous and supportive he was of his ex/family...at first.. Funny how it changed.

Does that include your child together? The house you live in is in his name? So if something were to happen him, unlikely but not unheard of, do his children (all of them) get a share of your house? Could his wife force you out, or force you to buy her children out so they can get their inheritance?

I think you need to visit a solicitor together to get all the CORRECT information. Your situation is complex, but proper legal advice will lay it all out for you. Marriage is very romantic, but it is also a very practical legal contract. There's a chance he's just so overwhelmed by all the aspects of his separation, plus his new relationship and family that he just doesn't know where to start.

Ask him to go to a solicitor with you as a first step, not necessarily to divorce but to find out the legalities of where EVERYONE stands. If he doesn't, I suggest you go by yourself.

Thanks, I did actually do that - organized a time with a solititor to talk, for both of us, with an open mind, about the legalities and what a divorce would mean for everyone, what position we are all in, for both of us to ask questions with the ultimate aim of exposing any issues for either of us.

That was two weeks ago, and he just waited until the day and then said he thought it wasn't worth him going along. To be honest, if he wasn't going there wasn't much point for me, I thought at the time. The only reason would have been to discuss my cohabitation position in the house, which I wasn't really thinking of at the time. More like how do we as a couple get legally on a better footing.

Surely if you child has special needs and a tutor you get DCA and a carers payment? That's nearly 1300 a month before you ever add lone parents, rent allowance etc so you would manage alone if you had to.

I get DCA but not a careers payment, that is means tested I think. I've been told I wouldn't get rent allowance, not to expose myself too much but I'm not from Ireland and don't pass the residence test.

• Advertisement

CaraMay wrote: »
    Why does he have to provide her security? A young healthy woman should be able to provide her own security?

Well I always have done, worked full time as a single parent for many years, made my own way. My Ex got a lot more out of our break up than I did! I was working full time when I moved in to DPs house. At some point I want to work again, but I have a young child now and had to give up work to look after him.

OP it is clear you are broken from this. Badgering him for commitment when you are furious with him for not committing is counter productive. OP when you stop caring if he is giving commitment is when he will give it. Funny how when you threw him out he came back with a change of heart. But you have to mean it not just be 'testing' him. I'll be honest if I was him I would not want to commit, it would scare me that you place a lower value on the quality of our relationship than a legal commitment. It surprises me that the majority of this thread is focused on pensions, maintenance, tax credits inheritance, exes, finance than whether the relationship (emotionally) is right. Those things getting messy are a symptom of a bad relationship not a cause. Your relationship was on rocky ground before those became an issue. In fact you said you liked how generous and supportive he was of his ex/family...at first.. Funny how it changed.

It is all part of what is rocky. I didn't really mind which came first, going to counseling or divorce. But I gave up a huge amount of my own security by moving into his house. I gave up being in an area with my own support and family, I gave up by having our child my job, I gave up being able to pay a mortgage of my own.

Just to add.

I do want both. I want to make positive attempts to make our relationship better, and I want commitment. They can't all come at once, but they have to be going in that direction. I've already totally committed. It's not fair if he just drags his heels.

It is all part of what is rocky. I didn't really mind which came first, going to counseling or divorce. But I gave up a huge amount of my own security by moving into his house. I gave up being in an area with my own support and family, I gave up by having our child my job, I gave up being able to pay a mortgage of my own.

Yes but that was your choice. If you give up all your personal choice and freedom to another person you have to accept it will get messy if they change their mind. People change their mind. If you cant take care of yourself don't give responsibility of your emotions to someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I get DCA but not a careers payment, that is means tested I think. I've been told I wouldn't get rent allowance, not to expose myself too much but I'm not from Ireland and don't pass the residence test.

If you've given up work to care for someone carers benefit is not means tested, it's based on prsi payments.
    The residence test is based on if you are intending to stay in this country...it's pulling the thread off topic to go into it but there is a state benefits forum where you will get loads of help if you post in it.

If you've given up work to care for someone carers benefit is not means tested, it's based on prsi payments.
    The residence test is based on if you are intending to stay in this country...it's pulling the thread off topic to go into it but there is a state benefits forum where you will get loads of help if you post in it.

Ok thanks, worth investigating.

Yes but that was your choice. If you give up all your personal choice and freedom to another person you have to accept it will get messy if they change their mind. People change their mind. If you cant take care of yourself don't give responsibility of your emotions to someone else.

I'm not sure about responsibility of emotions? A bit confused there. I am angry that I am being left high and dry with a special needs child, yes.

I haven't even been given a reason by my partner as to what any of his unhappiness is about from his side. I'm not going to stop being angry with him to make it easier for him. He can change his mind. I can be angry! I was let down. I didn't go back on any of my promises. And if I had. He'd have every right to be angry too.

But yes, I am going to look into how to manage to leave, and not play any games. I haven't the energy to do that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    What about your security?
    Well I always have done, worked full time as a single parent for many years, made my own way. My Ex got a lot more out of our break up than I did! I was working full time when I moved in to DPs house. At some point I want to work again, but I have a young child now and had to give up work to look after him.

Sorry op I saw that after I posted. It wasnt a dig at you but other posters seemed to be insinuating it was his job to look after you.

You are right op - you have been let down by him. He's acting like a man child and it's time, for your own mental health, to get this resolved. Tbh he needs to p or get off the pot. You have enough stress in your life already without dealing with this bs.

I'm in the same boat as you op with a young special needs child, home tuition etc but my oh is almost divorced. I wonder if his issue is the child's needs and he doesn't want to commit to that? If that's the case, it doesn't exactly crown him with glory but there's something and annoyingly he's not communicating with you. It's not acceptable. Tbh he's being a total prick.

You are right op - you have been let down by him. He's acting like a man child and it's time, for your own mental health, to get this resolved. Tbh he needs to p or get off the pot. You have enough stress in your life already without dealing with this bs.

I'm in the same boat as you op with a young special needs child, home tuition etc but my oh is almost divorced. I wonder if his issue is the child's needs and he doesn't want to commit to that? If that's the case, it doesn't exactly crown him with glory but there's something and annoyingly he's not communicating with you. It's not acceptable. Tbh he's being a total prick.

I do wonder whether it is about our child being special needs. That's the thing, he won't tell me why he doesn't think our relationship isn't worth committing to. Not one reason. We don't argue a lot, we get on day to day, we get on pretty well tbh, lots of mutual affection and laughter. The one big problem I have with him is that he drags his feet and is complacent about us. Because I get cross that he is complacent, he says 'oh we are obviously not happy'. It's like a vicious cycle!

• Advertisement

No matter what the reason, he's kicking the can down the road. It's a hard position to be in but I wouldn't have much respect for a man who can't be honest with you - the mother of his child

He's also complacent probably because he thinks you won't leave. He thinks you are caught now so he can call the shots.

Why go through the expense and hassle of a divorce if 'she' won't leave me anyway?!?

No matter what the reason, he's kicking the can down the road. It's a hard position to be in but I wouldn't have much respect for a man who can't be honest with you - the mother of his child

He's also complacent probably because he thinks you won't leave. He thinks you are caught now so he can call the shots.

Why go through the expense and hassle of a divorce if 'she' won't leave me anyway?!?

We went back to counseling, and he again said well why divorce etc and then just said well we weren't happy were we. But again when asked why, said it was me that was unhappy, then said I was deluded and didn't want to face things. It was useful in that that counselor tried to hold up a mirror to both of us, and he just couldn't answer anything directly or say what were the problems for him.

I've ended the relationship but have agreed to go to more counseling. I told him that I was at the absolute end.

His behaviour causes stress you don't need... The only thing is that if you take him back again he will just think you are a walk over.

His behaviour causes stress you don't need... The only thing is that if you take him back again he will just think you are a walk over.

Cara thanks for your message. You probably know that it is quite hard on a relationship, having a special needs child yourself. I'm glad that you are able (I hope!) to stay strong in your relationship. It's when you need a partner most I think.

The counselor said to both of us, don't make any decisions yet, just take a big breath and time apart and then talk at the next session.

I wish he'd gone with me to counseling sooner. Just to check some of his thoughts, as just saying them to someone outside was making him realize some things that he hadn't seen before. I am sad that it has come to this, it is a shame.

Sinead it's horrendously stressful on parents. We had our rough times after diagnosis but I hope it's behind us.

Why don't you pop over to the asd forum for support there too. Maybe the thoughts of the divorce process / solicitors / court etc on top of everything else that ye are dealing with us too much for him. I'm sure you could understand that but he needs to say it.

Thanks I will do that.

It has been hard with a special needs child, but it's also made me feel even more vulnerable and exposed that I have no security, emotionally, financially or otherwise!

Advertisement