Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pro's and con's of Leaf

Options

Comments

Well for me even if ev cost the same to run as diesel I still wouldn't drive the diesel, the EV is a far nicer drive.

However this is the issue, the majority of people don't care about the difference between the diesel and EV and are quiet happy to drive diesel and don't see the EV as anything worth considering, range is definitely an issue but it's not the greatest issue people have not from the feedback I get, in fact most people have told me they might change when they have no choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

<wrong thread>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

imfml wrote: »
    Back on the subject, I had my maths done & was ready to order at Leaf at the weekend, trading in a 12 yr old car.

Now I see Nissan are offer €8k scrapage on the Pulsar. I want to switch to an EV, but I'd be a fool not to consider that offer. Throws some things back in the air....

Where did you see this 8k scrappage on pulsar.

Are you sure it's not 4k.

Also, what time does the night rate electricity start and finish at

• Registered Users Posts: 21,215 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think night rate is 11 pm to 8 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭KCross

@imfml
    I think the Nissan pulsar offers are €4k scrappage OR €4k trade-in... are you per chance adding them together!?
    I doubt very much that Nissan just decided to drop another €4k off their bottomline.

@kala85
    Night rate at the moment is midnight to 9am but changes to 11pm-8am when the clocks change in October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 iseedeadpeople

Hi folks just update on petrol head ev convert. Loving my leaf and found out only today that FCP are 100% free and as I live a couple of minutes from one my fuel bill this year will be next to zero.

I cannot believe more have not moved to EV yet. For me it was a mixture of ignorance and range. 200km was magic number for me.

Well for me even if ev cost the same to run as diesel I still wouldn't drive the diesel, the EV is a far nicer drive.

However this is the issue, the majority of people don't care about the difference between the diesel and EV and are quiet happy to drive diesel and don't see the EV as anything worth considering, range is definitely an issue but it's not the greatest issue people have not from the feedback I get, in fact most people have told me they might change when they have no choice.

Their loss. Alot looked at me like I had two heads when I said I was going electric but I'm happy out.

Hi folks just update on petrol head ev convert. Loving my leaf and found out only today that FCP are 100% free and as I live a couple of minutes from one my fuel bill this year will be next to zero.

I cannot believe more have not moved to EV yet. For me it was a mixture of ignorance and range. 200km was magic number for me.

Nice one, but don't get too addicted to the fast chargers, it's not good practice to leave the car while charging at the fast charger or at least have a note on the dash with your number so someone can let you know they need it.

There's nothing worse than needing the fast charger and not being able to use it because someone is there for the free leccy, by all means use it while no one needs it.

Not trying to lecture you or anything but charging at home on night rate is already very cheap.

Their loss. Alot looked at me like I had two heads when I said I was going electric but I'm happy out.

Most people don't care about electric, they're happy with petrol/diesel and changing gears and they're quiet willing to pay the price of fuel to do so.

Which car did you get after with the 200km range

• Advertisement

kala85 wrote: »
    Which car did you get after with the 200km range

30kw leaf. Eco mode it should do 200 I've not texted that and to be honest I probably won't as it will end badly successful or not

Most people don't care about electric, they're happy with petrol/diesel and changing gears and they're quiet willing to pay the price of fuel to do so.

Yeah but it's just culture change. It will happen. It's like this I've had it just couple of days I've allowed a few others to take it for a spin and now they are looking towards getting one

Nice one, but don't get too addicted to the fast chargers, it's not good practice to leave the car while charging at the fast charger or at least have a note on the dash with your number so someone can let you know they need it.

There's nothing worse than needing the fast charger and not being able to use it because someone is there for the free leccy, by all means use it while no one needs it.

Not trying to lecture you or anything but charging at home on night rate is already very cheap.

Be grand. I've yet to see 2 cars ever at it the same time. Plus I'd only be there as long as I need to be anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

30kw leaf. Eco mode it should do 200 I've not texted that and to be honest I probably won't as it will end badly successful or not

You will not get 200 km out of a 30kwh leaf outside driving around at about 49 km/h . I know , I own one. The usable range is actually closer to 140-150 and that's pushing the battery to below 20 %

BoatMad wrote: »
    You will not get 200 km out of a 30kwh leaf outside driving around at about 49 km/h . I know , I own one. The usable range is actually closer to 140-150 and that's pushing the battery to below 20 %
    How much of a battery would be left moving at 100 km hour average on back roads.

How much would be left on motorway speeds

Actually I can get 14-14.5 Kwh/100 kms driving country roads at 60-80 kph in the 24 Kwh. That would be 200 kms with the energy in the 30 Kwh but you'd want to be plugged in and charging then.

However 140-150 kms would be the norm but 170 kms should be achievable without a lot of difficulty.

Average consumption at 100 kph will be around 17-18 Kwh/100 kms giving a range until it stops on the road of 155 kms however wind and lots of surface water would reduce this.

At 120-130 consumption could be 22 kwh/100 kms giving a range to stopping of 127 kms.

You'd want to be close to a charge point by 20-30% remaining capacity. It's not just about range, the 30 Kwh can charge in 25-30 mins to 90%, 90% would give about 120-130 kms more range.

In 1.5 years 300+ km range electrics will be available

So if you're in the market for a new EV now and plan to lease there should be plenty of choice in the Summer of 2019 with much more range. Think carefully because you might want to wait until 2018 instead but the 30 Kwh with fast charging gives a decent amount of range.

My average consumption over 39,200 kms is 17.5 Kwh/100 kms.

I did try and push it yesterday. 83% and I got from limerick to cliffs of moher and back on charge. I think I don 150km on thaT. Problem I had was I came back to limerick I just had enough range to get to charge spot and low and behold too petrol cars blocking it. Managed to get to the next one but lesson learned don't run her that low again.

That's a good run.

When you get the opportunity to top up do.

Getting an extra long Charge lead really would make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

I did try and push it yesterday. 83% and I got from limerick to cliffs of moher and back on charge. I think I don 150km on thaT. Problem I had was I came back to limerick I just had enough range to get to charge spot and low and behold too petrol cars blocking it. Managed to get to the next one but lesson learned don't run her that low again.

Good trip... if it's the charge point beside Dunne's Stores in Limerick then that one is always double, in not triple, ICEd. The one round the corner, on the river behind Henry Street garda station, is always clear.

• Advertisement

Was that in the 24 or 30 Kwh ?

What I find a good way to increase rang especially on back roads is to put it in ECO and B and by applying greater or less pressure on the accelerator , this gives you variable regen and also gets neutral a lot easier in these modes just by the way the throttle reacts. A lot of people just back off the throttle for maximum regen or hit the brake.

The idea here is to actually use as little regen as possible which is only about 30% efficient that means that you're wasting 70% of the energy to move the car unless you actually need to use it if that makes sense ? in other words coasting uses 0 energy and if done correctly means you use the energy you need and then coast using 0 energy or regen.

I learned all this in the prius which helped me achieve 4.3-4.6 l/100 kms.

There are plenty of small villages I can coast through in the right conditions using no regen or no power or sometimes I might need to give the throttle a little dart for a boost and then back to coasting again.

Most people drive in a manner that they are always either consuming energy or braking using regen, regen is wasteful and good only when you need to slow down.

I would like to make a video of what I'm talking about if I can find a way of doing it safely.

You''ll have to ware a GoPro or dash cam.
    We generally drive with both B and Eco. Salesman suggested using it as your normal settings.

Was that in the 24 or 30 Kwh ?

30kwh

Water John wrote: »
    That's a good run.

yeah its not bad at all. Overnight charge in limerick. then back to wicklow with one stop off along the way for top up. but that was holding her limited to 95kph. I notice if i do motorway speeds of 120kph i can watch go down very very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Last weekend I drove my 30kw Leaf from Meath to Clifden and back.

Battery. From. To. Distance. Battery.
    100% Home to Athlone 93.5km 42% left
    92% Athlone to Galway 92.8km 35% left
    92% Galway to Clifden 77.8km 56% left
    Return
    56% Clifden to Galway 78.5km 11% left
    92% Galway to Ballinasloe 66.7km 47% left
    92% Ballinasloe to Home 119.7km 10% left

All driven at max legal speed where possible.
    Galway to Clifden return trip was 156.3km, started with 92% charge, finished with 11% charge.
    The charger in Clifden was out of service.

Good run mac. That Clifden experience, out of service, is not nice. 11% is very tight.
    Really, recharge 120/130 km is what I get from those figures.

Say I drive the leaf home and can't remember if I plugged the leaf in to the socket for an overnight charge.

Can I check remotely if the nissan leaf has been plugged in at home and is ready to charge.

kala85 wrote: »
    Say I drive the leaf home and can't remember if I plugged the leaf in to the socket for an overnight charge.

Can I check remotely if the nissan leaf has been plugged in at home and is ready to charge.

It will email you to tell you it's not plugged in, so if you check your mail regularly you should spot it, it's saved me a few times. You will have to set this up, think I did it on car wings, not sure.

If your mobile syncs to check emails every so often it should pop up on your phone.

And yes, you can also remote in to check if it's plugged in and/or charging and set it to start charging if it's plugged in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,722 ✭✭✭✭josip

Has anyone ever run out of charge in an EV on the side of the road?
    What do you do in that scenario?
    Is there a booster pack you can buy/borrow/hire to get you as far as the next charging station (I'm thinking of an equivalent to the jerrycan)
    Do the AA/RAC have something in their breakdown vehicles from which you could charge?
    Or is it a tow?

Advertisement