Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overnight Prince fans

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Arghus wrote: »
    Not to be getting too off topic and in the full acknowlegement that you've made your case well, I do take exception to one or two things there.
    Okay… *first cup of tea of the day? Check. Rolls up sleeves* :D
    Firstly: The whole John vs Paul debate: McCartney was unquestionably the best musician and composer in The Beatles, but Lennon has him beat completely as a lyricist; it's not even close! There's dozens of Lennon songs that have excellent lyrics; I'd struggle to name many -dare I say any? - McCartney songs with the same characteristic. Lennon was able, when he wanted to, to use metaphor and allusions, vivid imagery, wordplay and lot of just oul plain speakin' straight from the gut- Paul just didn't have all that in him.

I'm not saying that McCartney was lacking in this department, per-se, just that they weren't at the same level, though it must be said that McCartney's main aim was always first and foremost to "compose"beautiful music; he was a lyricist second.
    Right… so Eleanor Rigby(which is a staggeringly sublime set of lyrics, never mind the music which is beyond out there for a "pop singer" in 1965), The End, Penny Lane, Yesterday, Let it be, Fool on the hill(inc a melodic twist that Lennon would have been hard pressed to match on his best day), Mother nature's son, Blackbird. Seriously? The song "For no one" alone is one of the most nail on the head lyrics reflecting the pain of breakup ever committed to tape. Never mind that but for the fact that Macca was in the mix a goodly chunk of Lennons output would have been simplistic torch songs, albeit good ones. As an exercise listen to the first demos of John's stuff and then Paul's stuff and compare and contrast. The intro to Strawberry fields forever is all Paul. Tomorrow never knows kicked off as something very different to the released track. The soundscape created by the looped tapes was Macca's idea as he'd been getting all avant garde with his influences at the time. That could go the other way and did, but the notion that the Paul lad was lacking in the lyrics dept is as daft as suggesting John couldn't muster some serious chops as a melody writer(his particular knack was blindingly "simple" piano intros that any number of classical composers would have been chuffed to write. And he kept that skill going. EG check out the "Real Love" intro or "Lucy in the sky with diamonds". His timing was wonderfully all over the place. He could go from a waltz to 8 to the bar, to 4 to the bar in under a minute. Ringo Starr deserves a bloody medal on that score. She said she said, Good morning good morning but two examples)
    Secondly: Lennon was in no way a spent force by The end of The Beatles. The Plastic Ono Band and Imagine were his first two solo post-Beatles albums: Plastic Ono was truly revolutionary - any ultra confessional singer songwriter album that's been released since owes it a great deal - and Imagine was a massive success, with critics and with the public. Walls and Bridges, from 1974, is also an excellent album IMO
    Walls and bridges is OK, but the majority of songs would find a fight waiting to get on a Beatles album. Oh and the guts of the Plastic Ono band stuff was knocked together within the Beatles timeframe. Hell Jealous Guy was a "Beatles song".
    Thirdly: The argument that his influence in The Beatles was on the wane by the end, while McCartney's was on the rise, is partly true and partly false.
    Mostly true. And you back that up…

EG
    It's true in the sense that McCartney, from maybe 67 onwards, was the main driving force in terms of getting things done - recording, writing and looking after the business side of things for the band. And it is also true that his songs began to outnumber those of Lennon on Beatles albums, from about Revolver onwards.
    But, it's false, to assume from there that Lennon was washed up. Even up until the very end, with Abbey Road, Lennon was still producing the goods - Come Together, She's so Heavy, Because - those are outrageously brilliant pieces of music. McCartney, taking that final album as an example, may have had him beat in terms of the sheer number of songs on it, but in terms of quality?... Far from the case.
    She's so heavy is a good song, but a long way away from I am the walrus in quality. Come together is the ironic death rattle of a band and of Lennon's best years. Have a listen to the demos of Come Together before Macca's bass line. The guts of Lennon's input to those last sessions were barely formed if wonderful snippets of songs teased out and added to by the rest of the guys and George Martin. He was already viewing the exit at that point. Literally and creatively.
    And that's how I see the late period of the band: McCartney's output increased, but Lennons maturity and resonance did too: Score draw.
    If by maturity you mean edging away from innovation and looking more inward and indulgent. When he was at his peak those traits made for fantastic songs like Help! You've got to hide your love away, a real cracker like Julia and a long list of others, but after his creative wave crested he became self indulgent and out of touch. That he could sing Working class hero(good song) without a trace of self realised irony says it all. Imagine there's no possessions indeed Johnny boy. That country estate must have weighed so heavily.

Then again he was always had the petulant hypocrite tendencies. That works when you're 20 and innovation and anger and the blood is quick, it starts to look and sound tiresome in a 35 year old. Roger Daltrey and Pete Townsend got the irony of still singing "I wanna die before I get old" at 40 and beyond, but Lennon never got his joke. I'm not so sure he ever would have. I suppose that's a large part of his appeal. In a way he remained an adolescent and genuinely too, not as some money generating caricature like so many others.

Joke is overall and granted by a nose, I'd be more a Lennon fan than a McCartney one and when both were on and in the room together there are precious few songwriters in history that would approach them, Still, I can see that Macca had more range and natural talents, was more self aware and held onto the fire for just a little longer.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

buried wrote: »
    Just wait until the Queen dies OP. You ain't seen nothing yet

Wasn't that Bachman Turner Overdrive, not Queen?

Maybe overkill?

Anyway, I was never a Prince fan so don't have any feelings about his death other than...well he's dead and he died young and that's a pity but that's it.

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Similar to when Glen Frey died "Oh he was so talented, the Eagles were the greatest" Fcuk right off! You know 2 maybe 3 Eagles songs and all of a sudden you're a fan!? Bandwagon assh*le.

I'm an Eagles fan btw.

My condolences

Everlong1 wrote: »
    *Sighs*. Look, I know where you're going with this. I get the same nonsense off the other begrudgers as well. The allegation is that Cedarwood Road was in fact a lovely cushy middle class enclave instead of the ghetto hellhole that Bono ALLEGEDLY claims it was to enhance his street cred.

I haven't seen a single interview where he claims that he grew up in some ghetto hellhole. I have read his claims that members of his circle of friends were attacked by some toerags from time to time. How difficult, exactly, is that to believe about Dublin in any age? I was running from scumbags occasionally myself in the Liberties and I spent a lot of time in the amusement arcades of Dublin city centre in the early '80's. There was a mod revival on at the time sparked by the release of the Quadrophenia movie. I fancied myself as a bit of a wannabe mod at the time and it was a dangerous style to have during the period of the IRA hunger strikes of the early '80s.

This is a country where every single person learns the art of spoofing and exaggeration from the time they're born. I prefer to believe in straight talking and not exaggerating things myself, but I find Bono's claims about the general atmosphere of thuggery around WHEREVER he grew up easy enough to believe. Arguing semantics about what postal district Cedarwood Road was in is a nonsense.

Always thought the 1979 Mod Revival was as a result of the music of The Jam and more obscure bands like Secret Affair and Purple Hearts.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beecee

Wibbs wrote: »
    The fire goes out fast. 30 years of age is about the turning point. Before that innovation and novelty, after that repetition of past glories, getting better at said repetition and descent into cabaret act "legend"(old style cabaret acts knew this and bought in young people's songs. Sucked the young dry like vampires. QV Madonna.).

I'm joining this late, and finding the Beatles discussion very interesting!

Just thought I'd throw out Tom Waits as one who became if anything more innovative in his 30s and 40s. Never had a bad album IMO... a few by the numbers in the late 70s, and a couple of questionable soundtracks aside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The most ridiculous thing I've seen about Prince recently was this nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 726 ✭✭✭RIGHTisRIGHT

I always found Micheal Jacksons songs to be very catchy however I never got what the big deal about Prince was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

A lot of vets do commit suicide. It's not Prince's fault though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Arghus wrote: »
    Firstly: The whole John vs Paul debate: McCartney was unquestionably the best musician and composer in The Beatles, but Lennon has him beat completely as a lyricist; it's not even close! There's dozens of Lennon songs that have excellent lyrics; I'd struggle to name many -dare I say any? - McCartney songs with the same characteristic. Lennon was able, when he wanted to, to use metaphor and allusions, vivid imagery, wordplay and lot of just oul plain speakin' straight from the gut- Paul just didn't have all that in him.

Penny Lane
    Blackbird
    Yesterday
    Hey Jude
    You Never Give Me Your Money
    Fixing a Hole
    Got to Get You into My Life
    For No One
    She's Leaving Home
    Paperback Writer
    Mother Nature's Son
    Eleanor Rigby
    Getting Better
    Etc…

Seriously, there's loads of great McCartney lyrics. Sure he went off the boil in the 70s and some awful clangers in the Wings catalogue but so did Lennon in a major way and McCartney was still capable of experimentation in his later years such as McCartney II and the Fireman project. Lennon's last album was the inexorable dreck that is Double Fantasy and he had very little of note in the decade before it. I think McCartney is most likely a bit of a cúnt but he gets hard done by in terms of the Beatles legacy because of the heinous crime of not dying young.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I always found Micheal Jacksons songs to be very catchy however I never got what the big deal about Prince was.
    Very talented musician, brilliant guitar player, great stage craft, wrote some cracking(if repetitive enough) tunes in his early days, went off the boil and rapidly up his own arse and off the reservation soon after when he surrounded himself with lackeys and fans that bolstered his idea that he was actually 6 feet four and his poo didn't pong. It ended up with him being the harmless weirdo of the US music business.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Wibbs!

McCartney = better musician: no question - the man is/was a genius. But I didn't dispute that!

Also we can't forget that there was collaboration a plenty between the songwriters during their career. Listen to this -

A McCartney driven tune, but it wouldn’t be the same without that Lennon input

Okay, I was wrong to give McCartney next to no credit as a lyricist, but - and we're now further into the realm of subjective taste - I find Lennon's lyrics are more interesting -

Take something like Julia, for example, -the lyrics to that song are so personal (exorcising - well, partially - his demons about his mother's death, all the while equating the new love he feels for Yoko with a sort of symbolic reincarnation of another maternal figure) and poetic ("Her hair of of floating sky is shimmering, glimmering in the sun" ) that while it is self indulgent and inward looking, it's also great art that operates on many different levels: it’s psychologically dense; poetically vivid and intensely personal. But, yet it’s still enigmatic enough that its meaning is not one hundred percent concrete - it can be reinterpreted in different ways; its definition never stays the same, which, I think is a hallmark of great art - I experience different feelings and emotions every time I listen to this song. It’s only one song, says you, but - SUBJECTIVE OPINION - McCartney never managed to pen words of such deceptive simplicity, but with such multilayered depth. Thank heavens for Lennon and his introspection!

And on the charge of Lennon being a full of crap, hypocritical idealist? - Yes! He definitely was... but who isn't?

It's one of the main reasons why I find his music so fascinating: He was full of contradictions - cynical yet romantic; syrupy yet caustic; politically engaged and aware, but also self-regarding and self-absorbed. You can make sense of wherever he was in his life by paying attention to the lyrics in the songs. He could run the gamut between threatening to knock a girl out, and then turning it around with writing some of the most heartfelt love songs of all time. Does that mean he was full of it? Absolutely. But personally I'd rather listen to someone who was unafraid to let it all hang out emotionally, even if that leaves him guilty to the charge of inconsistency of character and contradiction, because I think that truly embodies what it is to be a human being - we grow and change and sometimes what we think and say, and even who we are, is not always static and unchanging. And that’s why, for all of Paul’s awe inspiring genius for music, I will always put Lennon above McCartney in terms of lyrics and emotional resonance: his words make me feel the human being behind the music, consistently and profoundly.

So, yeah, in summation: Listen to Prince

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Who knew that looking after sick puppies could be so hard to live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

Too much talk of the funkless, sexless, rockboyband cracker music up in this Prince thread

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Was never a fan. I was shocked that he was only 57. I thought he was a lot older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

The worst was when Mandela died. Complete overkill, and I can be pretty certain many of the mourners had as sketchy a grasp on history as I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Spoken like a true fan. Which is cool BTW. His later stuff was mostly only of appeal to the dwindling number of fans, his wider current relevance was long gone. His last widely cultural relevance was a dance record handily entitled Let's Dance which was wildly successful. In 1983. In his mid 30's. And it was more Nile Rodgers than Bowie. Followed by getting into dance itself, then Tin Machine(bless). Yes Bowie was one of the few to even try to innovate and did succeed quite often and as I said I see him as a true giant of popular music, but I still stick with the around 30 years of age the rot sets in with songwriters.

That's a pretty glib assessment of Bowie's career, and you are eliding notions about "cultural relevance", innovation, and songwriting ability.

Saleswise, Let's Dance was Bowie's biggest album at the time, but it was not a high point creatively. There are only eight songs on the album, including one cover and two new versions of old songs Bowie previously wrote and recorded with Iggy Pop. Saying it was "more Rodgers than Bowie" is like saying Ziggy was more Mick Ronson, or Low was more Eno. Choosing the right collaborators was an essential part of Bowie's talent; if that sounds almost vampiric, Bowie would have countered that many people he worked with never scaled the same artistic heights without him. His instincts in this regard deserted him later in the 80s, and resulted in the muddled production of Tonight, for example.

As far as I'm concerned, his final pair of albums can stand shoulder-to-shoulder with his prime output from the 1970s; songwriters a third of Bowie's age would kill to produce something as good as Blackstar (his first, albeit posthumous, US #1 record, as it happens).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

The people I see posting stuff I know for a fact haven't a notion about him or any of is music. It's like the want to be see to be doing what's trending. It's chronic!

Dr Dre ?

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Samaris wrote: »
    Mind you, what IS it about a celeb's death that upsets people? Since that's a horribly open question, take a musician. Is it that you feel you know them through their music? They were part of your childhood? (Bowie for me, I'm one of those that liked some of his songs, but for me he was the Goblin King dammit :D) That they had a unique sound and now it's gone?

It's a bit of an odd thing really. Most of us don't know any of these people and never met them in person. I don't think I'd be -devastated- at the death of any celeb, musician or otherwise, because as much as I might like their stuff, I didn't know them. And yet, I can kinda see the why as I was upset at Terry Pratchett's death since he's been well up there as a favorite author since I was about twelve. I suppose I'd also feel a bit bad for Bono too, not least since I think he gets way too much flack.

*cough* Sliiightly off-topic, just musings.

Music at it's absolute best can make a profound difference to our emotional state. My humour can be transformed from "meh" to joyous in an instant when I hear the opening chords of a favourite song. In the case of U2, I have immersed myself in their music since I was 16, and that includes reading interviews with them. You can't help but feel you know someone, albeit in very restricted way, when you're hearing what they have to say for years.

There are supposedly people who can separate the music from the person making it, hence the number of people who will often give me the "Oh I love U2 but I hate Bono" line.

That attitude is incomprehensible to me and I suspect that anyone who comes out with that line doesn't really understand what they're saying. An Irish person will say "Oh I love this, that and the other" when what they really mean of course is "I quite like this, that or the other." Like is not love.

A musician pours their personality into their music, so by definition if you like the music you can't help but like the person to my mind.

It follows therefore that if you like the tunes and the person who makes them, you're going to be upset by their death, in proportion to how big a fan you are.

buried wrote: »
    Too much talk of the funkless, sexless, rockboyband cracker music up in this Prince thread

Word, ni*ga.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

galljga1 wrote: »
    Being very pedantic, Passenger was the dude who sang Let Her Go. He used to be with /Passenger. Passengers were U2, Brian Eno and a host of others who released one album which was rubbish apart from Miss Sarajevo which is fantastic. I regard it as a U2 song but try and forget the rest of the album. I might give it a spin today to remember how awful it was.

Passengers was great. I listen to it all the time. Your Blue Room, Always Forever Now, Beach Sequence, Slug, Elvis Ate America - all great tracks. The only one of them who didn't like it was Larry Mullen, but he doesn't like anything. Unfortunately he was just very vocal about it. I loved that whole 90s U2 thing, including Pop - a hugely underrated album.

I love albums that are a little leftfield, a little flawed. Music now is too perfect.

• Advertisement

Maireadio wrote: »
    The worst was when Mandela died. Complete overkill, and I can be pretty certain many of the mourners had as sketchy a grasp on history as I have.

Nah, Princess Diana dying beats it hands down. You'd swear the world had ended when that idiot died the way some people went on. Also, Mandela's funeral gave us that sign language fella and that was golden.

Passengers was great. I listen to it all the time. Your Blue Room, Always Forever Now, Beach Sequence, Slug, Elvis Ate America - all great tracks. The only one of them who didn't like it was Larry Mullen, but he doesn't like anything. Unfortunately he was just very vocal about it. I loved that whole 90s U2 thing, including Pop - a hugely underrated album.

I love albums that are a little leftfield, a little flawed. Music now is too perfect.

Have never bought Passengers, hardcore fan though I am. Agree totally about Pop. It's fascinating how even the band themselves have sometimes seemed a bit sheepish about it. They've always claimed that it was a compromised album because they were under pressure to finish it before the accompanying tour started. Bono muses idly from time to time about going back and revisiting it but I can't see it happening in my lifetime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Nah, Princess Diana dying beats it hands down. You'd swear the world had ended when that idiot died the way some people went on. Also, Mandela's funeral gave us that sign language fella and that was golden.

Oh yeah, totally, but I meant more like the social media grief bandwagoners.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Everlong1 wrote: »
    Have never bought Passengers, hardcore fan though I am. Agree totally about Pop. It's fascinating how even the band themselves have sometimes seemed a bit sheepish about it. They've always claimed that it was a compromised album because they were under pressure to finish it before the accompanying tour started. Bono muses idly from time to time about going back and revisiting it but I can't see it happening in my lifetime.

I hope they don't. It is what it is, and there's some of their best material on it - Please, Discotheque, Do You Feel Love, Mofo, even something like the Playboy Mansion is great fun, and If God Will Send His Angels is a great "alternative" U2 ballad.

You should get Passengers - it's like a warm up for Pop. It stretches what Zooropa was to it's limit, and while the second half is definitely stronger than the second, no U2 fan should be without it.

As for Prince, I recently got "The Rainbow Children" - a very jazzy, D'Angelo-esque album. It's great fun.

Theme from Let's Go Native was always a favourite of mine from that album. It was a cracker of an album and signposted a really interesting direction that they could have gone in instead of the generic sludge they settled into producing since after Pop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Bruce lasted well enough, but again the "best of" list is pre age 35. U2 lasted much longer being relevant than any of their peers(or many bands before or since). Yes their best was again sub 35 years of age, but they tacked on the guts of a decade after that being still quite relevant and hungry. At an age when Paul McCartney was writing the Frog Song* and an age when most songwriters are retired, or doing the nostalgia circuit, second tent on the right in a muddy field in Belgium. U2 would be outliers alright(Bono's voice unusually hasn't aged in range much if at all).

*though a catchy enough song and he still had serious quality melodic chops well into his forties with some nice tunes, but Penny Lane they weren't.

Thinking about this 30/35 argument, I remember something about mathematicians peaking young too, it is not just songwriters.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

He was an amazing artist and performer but I wouldn't pretend I was a big fan. Only know a few of his songs. Also heard a few stories about him and he sounded like a bit of a prick so that put me off him as well. Don't like when someone thinks they can treat a person like **** just because they're famous.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

'90s U2 were awesome. I think everything they did that decade (4 albums - including Passengers - and the various one-off singles) was interesting and still sounds quite fresh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

'90s U2 were awesome. I think everything they did that decade (4 albums - including Passengers - and the various one-off singles) was interesting and still sounds quite fresh.

Pop is pretty underrated alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's no coincidence that all the Prince songs being played on the radio the last week are 25+ years old.

For the non hardcore Prince fan, I would doubt anyone else would be able to name a song he has written since 2000.

Advertisement