Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overnight Prince fans

Options
  • 23-04-2016 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Is it just me or has ****loads of people declared themselves Prince fans all of sudden? Most of them only ever heard of Purple Rain and then all posting RIP posts and lovehearts over facebook etc.

It really grinds my gears.
    That is all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

I loved his rendition of Along the Watchtower and obviously Voodoo Child

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Overnight Prince fans, surely it'd just be easier to refer to them as bandwagon jumpers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

Just wait until the Queen dies OP. You ain't seen nothing yet

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I like cabbage, but I don't talk about it a lot. If it went extinct I might express my disappointment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Prince Harry is just as good, if not better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Daniogroove

I like cabbage, but I don't talk about it a lot. If it went extinct I might express my disappointment.

The people I see posting stuff I know for a fact haven't a notion about him or any of is music. It's like the want to be see to be doing what's trending. It's chronic!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I prefer his music in the mornign rather than overnight :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

The people I see posting stuff I know for a fact haven't a notion about him or any of is music. It's like the want to be see to be doing what's trending. It's chronic!

Fair enough. Given the cesspit of narcissism that Facebook can be, I suppose I can believe that some people might do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Well done, OP. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

So what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭furiousox

I loved his rendition of Along the Watchtower and obviously Voodoo Child

Ha! Call yourself a true fan?
    It's voodoo chile
    Anyway, I prefer his solo stuff.
    While my guitar gently weeps is probably the best song he's written since leaving the band.
    It's on yotube if you squares want to check it out.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Is it just me or has ****loads of people declared themselves Prince fans all of sudden? Most of them only ever heard of Purple Rain and then all posting RIP posts and lovehearts over facebook etc.

It really grinds my gears.
    That is all.

That'll be the new power generation :D

Seriously though, you'd think people would just get over the Beatles and Elvis already, I hate people discovering new music, I was a fan before they were ever fans, and I claim Mozart and Bach too, bloody new fans, who do they think they are! They disgust me! :mad:

Not really... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

Don't let that nonsense or those people bother you D. I was DJ'ing a couple of years back for a mates Birthday party and I mixed in "I would die 4 u" into the set and this one mate of mine said to me at the end of the night "what were you at playing that Prince $hite? I hate that guy" then, last night, this same guy nearly made a purple flag into his profile picture on facebook with fake upset. It's bad lines when some people feign upset because its trendy. F**k em

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I heard a lot that from people down the pub tonight. Everybody suddenly was a fan.

I was never one myself, as a person he was one of those artists who I never heard a good word about, quite the opposite in many cases.

A very talented songwriter though and that's what he'll be remembered for.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Overnight Prince fans, surely it'd just be easier to refer to them as bandwagon jumpers.

Where's me jumper? x2

Who really cares?

Music is music.

So what if we were there before them.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

furiousox wrote: »
    Ha! Call yourself a true fan?
    It's voodoo chile
    Anyway, I prefer his solo stuff.
    While my guitar gently weeps is probably the best song he's written since leaving the band.
    It's on yotube if you squares want to check it out.

Who are we talking about here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Don't sweat the small stuff OP

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Boskowski wrote: »
    Who are we talking about here?

Jimi and George.

We are all music lovers here.
    No need to go there.

Everyone's hero dies
    Just listen on

"the kind you find..."

Magic. Enjoy it.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

buried wrote: »

Overnight Overdrive fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Diana syndrome they call it. Your own life and the lives of those who you love and cherish are all that matter.

Never hero worship somebody you don't know, it's not good for you. You can admire people from a far without getting so emotionally involved.

Love the work not the person.

In Prince's case I think you'd be let down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Queen recorded that? I thought it was BTO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Glico Man wrote: »
    Queen recorded that? I thought it was BTO

Yeah, that joke's been done

Judging by social media, every other artist in the world has sang a Prince cover in the past few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Wasn't a fan and won't be . Did he remove a few ribs one time so he could get his head into hard to reach areas ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I was DJ'ing a couple of years back for a mates Birthday party and I mixed in "I would die 4 u" into the set and this one mate of mine said to me at the end of the night "what were you at playing that Prince $hite? I hate that guy" then, last night, this same guy nearly made a purple flag into his profile picture on facebook with fake upset.
    :pac::D People tend to be herd creatures, with short enough memories and a fair percentage of said herd tend to be dimmer than a one watt lightbulb(QV Facebook; "he's with the angles now"). I'm in a smaller different herd here. In other news; water is wet.

Prince/The artist formerly known as a squiggle? Overrated in latter years. The type that other musicians like. Fantastic guitar player. Good songwriter when he was young, but songwriting is a young man's(and women's) game. The fire goes out fast. 30 years of age is about the turning point. Before that innovation and novelty, after that repetition of past glories, getting better at said repetition and descent into cabaret act "legend"(old style cabaret acts knew this and bought in young people's songs. Sucked the young dry like vampires. QV Madonna.).

The other recent loss Dave Bowie. A true giant of popular music, again past 30 it was bring in producers to hip him up and play the character that was David Bowie(™). The rolling stones are pickled somewhere around 1973. All they doing now is playing the Legend.

And off a rambling I go. As per. Can't stay asleep and sure t'is the sun up now begorrah. The luminescent bastard.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Wibbs wrote: »

The other recent loss Dave Bowie. A true giant of popular music, again past 30 it was bring in producers to hip him up and play the character that was David Bowie(™). The rolling stones are pickled somewhere around 1973. All they doing now is playing the Legend.

Bowie released some fantastic music after his 30's. He was in his 60's when the last 2 came out. Bowie, of all artists, always done things his way. Granted, he may have taken some bad decisions in the (drug filled) 80's but to say he was a (™) product is stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Telling people they're wrong to feel what they feel: yeah, that'll work.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

What makes a fan though?

I have a couple of songs on the iPod, I like his music, I had tickets to croke park when he cancelled, I said sure I'll catch him next time.

If I posted on Facebook would I be any less entitled to do so than someone who has all the albums and has been to all the concerts and talks about how much they enjoy his music?

We are both fans... I'm just not as vocal about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Bachmann Turner Overdrive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

Bullocks wrote: »
    Wasn't a fan and won't be . Did he remove a few ribs one time so he could get his head into hard to reach areas ?

If the number of people that I heard that story about "actually" did it, then we would have enough rib bones so that there would be no need for ivory anymore :D

Advertisement