Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overnight Prince fans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

This has been some year for celebrity deaths.

Fingers crossed its Chris Martin next.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

LowOdour wrote: »
    Bowie released some fantastic music after his 30's. He was in his 60's when the last 2 came out. Bowie, of all artists, always done things his way. Granted, he may have taken some bad decisions in the (drug filled) 80's but to say he was a (™) product is stupid
    Spoken like a true fan. Which is cool BTW. His later stuff was mostly only of appeal to the dwindling number of fans, his wider current relevance was long gone. His last widely cultural relevance was a dance record handily entitled Let's Dance which was wildly successful. In 1983. In his mid 30's. And it was more Nile Rodgers than Bowie. Followed by getting into dance itself, then Tin Machine(bless). Yes Bowie was one of the few to even try to innovate and did succeed quite often and as I said I see him as a true giant of popular music, but I still stick with the around 30 years of age the rot sets in with songwriters.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Im curious what makes the creativity die out as one gets older, is it a physical change taking place in the brain or due to a change in mindset.

Instead of being present and allowing the creativity to rise up do people become so identified with their persona that it creates a blockage between atound the source of creativity.

i don't think it's necessarily the case.Lots of writers get better as they age.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I like cabbage, but I don't talk about it a lot. If it went extinct I might express my disappointment.

Yeah, not everyone posts every facet of their life and interests on Facebook. I don't know if my husband ever posted much about Prince on Facebook but everyone who knows him knows he was a fan. I mean, I was sat down for a double bill of Parade and Under Cherry Moon one night in our early days of dating!

I have a friend who I know is a Curehead and if Robert Smith died tomorrow she'd probably surprise many on Facebook with posts about him and the band, as she mainly posts about other interests.

I was not a fan of Bowie but did start getting interested in his music after his death. For some reason it made me feel very sad, which I don't think has happened to me before after an artist's death. I thought it was quite cathartic to see some of the stuff people posted on Facebook around that time - interviews, performances, documentaries and just photos. Some of which I 'liked'. I think I may have 'shared' something I saw posted about Prince yesterday. I did enjoy his music, his sound. If that makes me a hypocrite I'm ok with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

I was not a huge Prince fan before, but I did start appreciating him in the last few years. I only got my hands on Controversy a few months ago.

I guess it has been hard for lots of people to connect to his music because it wasn't available, but everyone knows way more than Purple Rain, I'd wager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

wawaman wrote: »
    If the number of people that I heard that story about "actually" did it, then we would have enough rib bones so that there would be no need for ivory anymore :D

Ya I heard he hated the ivory trade alright !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Who?

No really, not trying to be edgy, but who?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Is it just me or has ****loads of people declared themselves Prince fans all of sudden? Most of them only ever heard of Purple Rain and then all posting RIP posts and lovehearts over facebook etc.

It really grinds my gears.
    That is all.

Some eejit on the radio yesterday that went to a concert of his in Ireland crying like a baby because of his death, if her uncle died she probably wouldn't shed a tear :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Who?

No really, not trying to be edgy, but who?

Are you asking who Prince is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Are you asking who Prince is?

In fairness I think a lot of people would have no clue who he is, especially the younger generations.

Prince was known for not exactly going with the times and allowing his stuff on Youtube / Spotify etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Never a fan, not my thing, but he was an extremely talented musician/songwriter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

it was like when michael jackson died all the young ones walking around wearing one white glove

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭furiousox

I know a person on facebook who changed their profile picture to the Prince symbol and typed "totally devastated".
    I was so tempted to ask if something had happened to one of his parents.
    "Devastated" indeed. :rolleyes:

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Daniogroove

TG1 wrote: »
    What makes a fan though?

I have a couple of songs on the iPod, I like his music, I had tickets to croke park when he cancelled, I said sure I'll catch him next time.

If I posted on Facebook would I be any less entitled to do so than someone who has all the albums and has been to all the concerts and talks about how much they enjoy his music?

We are both fans... I'm just not as vocal about it!

Ah no but I'm talking about people who literally haven't a notion about him. People I've know for years and know for a fact have no interest him or even that genre of music at all. They're simply just doing it because it's the trendy thing to do at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

What I hate are people who act all supercilious about being better fans of a said artist/artists. I remember a guy told me he loves Pink Floyd and I said "yeah I like them too"and then he replied "I bet the only song you know of them is 'the wall'" like piss off with your condescension. If you're a real fan you don't have to prove yourself for validation or attack other fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

What I hate are people who act all supercilious about being better fans of a said artist/artists. I remember a guy told me he loves Pink Floyd and I said "yeah I like them too"and then he replied "I bet the only song you know of them is 'the wall'" like piss off with your condescension. If you're a real fan you don't have to prove yourself for validation or attack other fans.

What about all those people that are "fans" of bands because they have a cool t-shirt, Motorhead and The Ramones would be good examples of this phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Tzardine wrote: »
    In fairness I think a lot of people would have no clue who he is, especially the younger generations.

Prince was known for not exactly going with the times and allowing his stuff on Youtube / Spotify etc.

It's not that he was not keeping up with the times. He was ferociously protective of his art and highly cynical of the music industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Didn't know much about him, saw he was dead from the thread on here, actually. My first reaction was "Prince is -dead-?" and my second was "does that make him "the deceased, formally known as Prince?" (Too soon?)

Sad when a great artist dies young, and 57 is pretty young. But it doesn't particularly do anything to my little world. I was much more personally upset by Alan Rickman and Terry Pratchett (and David Bowie, but mostly because Labyrinth was part of my childhood).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Never listened to one of his songs in full in my life but now I'm a big fan. I'm a sheep led by public opinion that he was a great so I believe it.

I do actually like him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Wibbs wrote: »
    I still stick with the around 30 years of age the rot sets in with songwriters.

I'd say 35, the most notable exception I think of being Leonard Cohen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its sad, especially for anyone that knows him personally, but for anyone in Ireland who never knew him to be 'totally devastated' is just the new FB generation being daft. I wonder how these people are going to cope when their parents kick the bucket?

I liked his 80s music, maybe early 90s too but it then got a bit crap (imho) and I stopped listening to him. Haven't heard a song he released in probably 15 years.

Bowie was the same, everyone seemed to be a Bowie fan. I thought he hadn't written any good songs in 20 years or more. Of course many will call me an idiot for this. Me'h.

But the slacktivists of FB will only get worse, so we may get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Similar to when Glen Frey died "Oh he was so talented, the Eagles were the greatest" Fcuk right off! You know 2 maybe 3 Eagles songs and all of a sudden you're a fan!? Bandwagon assh*le.

I'm an Eagles fan btw.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'm pretty shocked by the scale of the response to his death actually, I never really heard anyone talking about him for the last 20 years, all I remember is Raspberry Beret (which I do like a lot) and that his songs weren't on youtube.. it's interesting how insulated I seem to have been from him

• Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm pretty shocked by the scale of the response to his death actually, I never really heard anyone talking about him for the last 20 years, all I remember is Raspberry Beret (which I do like a lot) and that his songs weren't on youtube.. it's interesting how insulated I seem to have been from him

You weren't really, he hasn't had a hit or had his new msuic played on the radio for many years.

Any time a Prince song would be on the radio in th elast decade, I'd put money on it being from the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

People caring so deeply about stuff like this is far weirder than somebody posting an RIP on social media because they liked Purple Rain in secondary school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Whats Ireland going to be like if or when Danial o Donnell leaves us...

Re People jumping on bandwagons,sure whats the harm in it, Its the same with football teams, Coner mc gregor,etc when there all winning,It makes some people being a part of something.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

His profile was relatively low for the past 20-odd years (partially from keeping his music off Youtube, etc. but also, in fairness, that his songs weren't troubling the charts) but it's understandable that the sudden death of a rock star will dramatically increase attention on their career.

His 80's output was marvellous though. I'm not surprised that many people were upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Easca Peasca

I never listened to any of his music, but based on what I know of his style and presence alone he seemed like a man apart. RIP.

The same thing happened when David Bowie and Robin Williams died, and the same thing will happen again when the next celeb passes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

What about all those people that are "fans" of bands because they have a cool t-shirt, Motorhead and The Ramones would be good examples of this phenomenon.

Not a Ramones fan, I like their stuff but fan would be a stretch. That said I have a Ramones t-shirt as it was cheap in Penneys.

I enjoy the fact that some of Princes songs are back on the Radio, I like them, wouldn't call my self a fan either. I feel bad for the guy but no more than anyone else I don't know dying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I never listened to any of his music,
    How?

Advertisement