Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overnight Prince fans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,109 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Everlong1 wrote: »
    I’m a hardcore U2 fan and have been since their first album. I’m only a couple of years younger than the band themselves. I see every Irish gig they play and travel abroad to see them when I can afford it. Their music has always been a huge part of my life and will continue to be. An unfortunate side effect of this has been that I’ve had to learn how to cope with di*kheads trying to wind me up by mouthing off to me about how much they hate Bono.

I’ve sometimes idly wondered what would happen if Bono died before his time.

If Bono ever lived in Ballymun, he's dead already.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Wibbs wrote: »
    Who has been singing pretty much the same tune for forty years, only the lyrics change. While his lyrics have developed, he hasn't had an innovative musical thought since Elvis was thin. And let's face it melodically he was always a one trick pony. While I like oul Leonard he is probably the worst example one could muster for an artist innovating throughout their lives.

Jesus, you're a tough audience. I disagree strongly with your age related points and was about to suggest U2 and Springsteen as examples but no doubt your razor sharp criticism will dismiss them just as contemptuously.

Excellently written posts though. I do like your style.

How do you respond when people say they haven't produced anything of note in near 25 years?

I have no problem with anyone criticising their actual musical output. It's the nasty, bitter, infantile begrudgery that characterises most of the criticism of Bono personally that annoys me.

I know there's a school of thought that says that Achtung Baby was their last decent album, but No Line On The Horizon was a good attempt at experimentation on their part and I believe that they genuinely still have the hunger to innovate that younger bands have. To be honest I don't care about the whole groundbreaking radical oh we must experiment all the time thing. U2 have already earned their place as one of the greatest rock bands ever as far as I'm concerned. Anything after this is a bonus and I hope they keep going for a good while yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Yep, the last U2 tune I'd rate is the Orbit mix of Electrical Storm, second last would be... Miss Sarajevo? I really really wanted to like NLotH but there was nothing there to grab onto at all.
    Realistically though, it's asking an awful lot for a band to be able to get together and knock out something interesting decades on. Whatever dynamic they would've had earlier on would be completely gone, I find the idea of a band managing to stay together for more than 10 years baffling enough to be honest, it'd be like a f*cking marriage.

Springsteen has been only okay as far as studio stuff goes for Christ knows how long. The last of his albums that grabbed me at all was Magic, last song of his to hit his highest highs was I'm On Fire. I'd be crushed if he died but it'd be the enthusiasm of his live performances (which he channelled extremely well in that Seeger Sessions album).

Has anyone really seen the Dark Side of the Moon?

I said scene, not herd. (sic).

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Yep, the last U2 tune I'd rate is the Orbit mix of Electrical Storm, second last would be... Miss Sarajevo? I really really wanted to like NLotH but there was nothing there to grab onto at all.
    Realistically though, it's asking an awful lot for a band to be able to get together and knock out something interesting decades on. Whatever dynamic they would've had earlier on would be completely gone, I find the idea of a band managing to stay together for more than 10 years baffling enough to be honest, it'd be like a f*cking marriage.

Springsteen has been only okay as far as studio stuff goes for Christ knows how long. The last of his albums that grabbed me at all was Magic, last song of his to hit his highest highs was I'm On Fire. I'd be crushed if he died but it'd be the enthusiasm of his live performances (which he channelled extremely well in that Seeger Sessions album).

Wrecking Ball is a cracking album! Have you given it a chance?

Re: NLOTH. It's a grower. I was unimpressed with it on first listens but after hearing the songs on the 360 tour, I had a new found appreciation for them. Have listened to it a lot since.

Re: NLOTH. It's a grower. I was unimpressed with it on first listens but after hearing the songs on the 360 tour, I had a new found appreciation for them. Have listened to it a lot since.

Nothing on Ballymun, then? Bono lived there, apparently...

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jesus, you're a tough audience. I disagree strongly with your age related points and was about to suggest U2 and Springsteen as examples
    Bruce lasted well enough, but again the "best of" list is pre age 35. U2 lasted much longer being relevant than any of their peers(or many bands before or since). Yes their best was again sub 35 years of age, but they tacked on the guts of a decade after that being still quite relevant and hungry. At an age when Paul McCartney was writing the Frog Song* and an age when most songwriters are retired, or doing the nostalgia circuit, second tent on the right in a muddy field in Belgium. U2 would be outliers alright(Bono's voice unusually hasn't aged in range much if at all).

*though a catchy enough song and he still had serious quality melodic chops well into his forties with some nice tunes, but Penny Lane they weren't.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,253 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Stones, U2, Bruce, AC/DC - they are all basically living on their live shows now, and are like tribute acts to themselves.

I think its safe to say that none of them are producing music of the quality they did 20 or 30 years ago.

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    Nothing on Ballymun, then? Bono lived there, apparently...

Are you John H ? I couldn't give a continental what part of Ballymun/Glasnevin North he grew up in. I grew up on the mean streets of the Liberties myself. I'm a songwriter myself now as well. Haven't written about the Liberties days yet but I'll get around to it eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

Miss Sarajevo wasn't a U2 song. It was passengers. Different project

Bruce lasted well enough, but again the "best of" list is pre age 35. *though a catchy enough song and he still had serious quality melodic chops well into his forties with some nice tunes, but Penny Lane they weren't.

No, no, no, no, no. The Rising, Magic and Wrecking Ball albums are all on a par with his earlier work to my mind. In fact I'd argue that there's a strong case to call The Rising his best album or at least in the top 3.

s8n wrote: »
    Miss Sarajevo wasn't a U2 song. It was passengers. Different project
    Actually, it was Passenger, if you wanna be pedantic. I didn't see the point in doing so when even U2 put it on their best of without clarifying it was under another name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

No, no, no, no, no. The Rising, Magic and Wrecking Ball albums are all on a par with his earlier work to my mind. In fact I'd argue that there's a strong case to call The Rising his best album or at least in the top 3.

Three albums anyone else would be proud to have as their best and yes The Rising is his best album of recent times even though it is 14 years old.

Actually, it was Passenger, if you wanna be pedantic. I didn't see the point in doing so when even U2 put it on their best of without clarifying it was under another name.

Being very pedantic, Passenger was the dude who sang Let Her Go. He used to be with /Passenger. Passengers were U2, Brian Eno and a host of others who released one album which was rubbish apart from Miss Sarajevo which is fantastic. I regard it as a U2 song but try and forget the rest of the album. I might give it a spin today to remember how awful it was.

galljga1 wrote: »
    Being very pedantic, Passenger was the dude who sang Let Her Go. He used to be with /Passenger. Passengers were U2, Brian Eno and a host of others who released one album which was rubbish apart from Miss Sarajevo which is fantastic. I regard it as a U2 song but try and forget the rest of the album. I might give it a spin today to remember how awful it was.
    Haha! You're right, sorry! I even googled to make sure I was right, went into the U2 wiki and was so convinced I was right that I must've imagined it hadn't the s.

That's a U2 album though, they can tell themselves otherwise, but I know the truth :mad:

Haha! You're right, sorry! I even googled to make sure I was right, went into the U2 wiki and was so convinced I was right that I must've imagined it hadn't the s.

That's a U2 album though, they can tell themselves otherwise, but I know the truth :mad:
    Yeah, I think they are a bit embarrassed by the whole thing apart from Miss Sarajevo.

Are you John H ? I couldn't give a continental what part of Ballymun/Glasnevin North he grew up in. I grew up on the mean streets of the Liberties myself. I'm a songwriter myself now as well. Haven't written about the Liberties days yet but I'll get around to it eventually.

No.

Let us call a spade a spade and say Finglas East. There is a big 'gap'* between there and the Ballymun that Bono claims to be from.

* Wall

There must be a song there somewhere. Oh wait, some other band did that...

I liked Prince esp. ".. the kind you find.. " Rhythm and rhyming all in one line.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    No.

Let us call a spade a spade and say Finglas East. There is a big 'gap'* between there and the Ballymun that Bono claims to be from..

*Sighs*. Look, I know where you're going with this. I get the same nonsense off the other begrudgers as well. The allegation is that Cedarwood Road was in fact a lovely cushy middle class enclave instead of the ghetto hellhole that Bono ALLEGEDLY claims it was to enhance his street cred.

I haven't seen a single interview where he claims that he grew up in some ghetto hellhole. I have read his claims that members of his circle of friends were attacked by some toerags from time to time. How difficult, exactly, is that to believe about Dublin in any age? I was running from scumbags occasionally myself in the Liberties and I spent a lot of time in the amusement arcades of Dublin city centre in the early '80's. There was a mod revival on at the time sparked by the release of the Quadrophenia movie. I fancied myself as a bit of a wannabe mod at the time and it was a dangerous style to have during the period of the IRA hunger strikes of the early '80s.

This is a country where every single person learns the art of spoofing and exaggeration from the time they're born. I prefer to believe in straight talking and not exaggerating things myself, but I find Bono's claims about the general atmosphere of thuggery around WHEREVER he grew up easy enough to believe. Arguing semantics about what postal district Cedarwood Road was in is a nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

galljga1 wrote: »
    Three albums anyone else would be proud to have as their best and yes The Rising is his best album of recent times even though it is 14 years old.
    Now I know why that street beside the GPO is called Prince's Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ah I suppose. And his barely(though distinctively) sung poetry stuff has more legs to it. He's more a lyricist that a musician. The latter is very much secondary and is essentially down to the producer involved in the recording. Still he's held together far better than Dylan who burnt out years ago. No doubt I'll get stick for that. Dylan fans(who I have personally found are almost exclusively male) can get rabid in their defence of their hero. Those artists who pull the "ok I'm gonna be profound here" stuff really gets them wet in the aisles. We see this with someone like Lennon. Macca was twice the musician, music writer and often lyricist and but for brief flashes Lennon was a spent force as the Beatles were disbanding, but Macca wasn't angry enough and didn't have the decency to be a bullet catcher for a mental defective. Dying young helps. Even as a band. The aforementioned mop tops are lauded and rightly, but a little of it is down to the fact the band "died young". They didn't get embarrassing like the Stones...

Not to be getting too off topic and in the full acknowlegement that you've made your case well, I do take exception to one or two things there.

Firstly: The whole John vs Paul debate: McCartney was unquestionably the best musician and composer in The Beatles, but Lennon has him beat completely as a lyricist; it's not even close! There's dozens of Lennon songs that have excellent lyrics; I'd struggle to name many -dare I say any? - McCartney songs with the same characteristic. Lennon was able, when he wanted to, to use metaphor and allusions, vivid imagery, wordplay and lot of just oul plain speakin' straight from the gut- Paul just didn't have all that in him.

I'm not saying that McCartney was lacking in this department, per-se, just that they weren't at the same level, though it must be said that McCartney's main aim was always first and foremost to "compose"beautiful music; he was a lyricist second.

Secondly: Lennon was in no way a spent force by The end of The Beatles. The Plastic Ono Band and Imagine were his first two solo post-Beatles albums: Plastic Ono was truly revolutionary - any ultra confessional singer songwriter album that's been released since owes it a great deal - and Imagine was a massive success, with critics and with the public. Walls and Bridges, from 1974, is also an excellent album IMO

Thirdly: The argument that his influence in The Beatles was on the wane by the end, while McCartney's was on the rise, is partly true and partly false.

It's true in the sense that McCartney, from maybe 67 onwards, was the main driving force in terms of getting things done - recording, writing and looking after the business side of things for the band. And it is also true that his songs began to outnumber those of Lennon on Beatles albums, from about Revolver onwards.

But, it's false, to assume from there that Lennon was washed up. Even up until the very end, with Abbey Road, Lennon was still producing the goods - Come Together, She's so Heavy, Because - those are outrageously brilliant pieces of music. McCartney, taking that final album as an example, may have had him beat in terms of the sheer number of songs on it, but in terms of quality?... Far from the case.

And that's how I see the late period of the band: McCartney's output increased, but Lennons maturity and resonance did too: Score draw.

And, on an ever further side note, the only Dylan obsessive I know is my girlfriend - who is exclusively female!

Brilliant post Arghus.

I have to say that this is one of the best discussions I've ever had the pleasure to take part in on Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

How do you respond when people say they haven't produced anything of note in near 25 years?

Zooropa was interesting
    The zoo tv gig was just after my leaving cert it was an event for us all

Arghus wrote: »
    but Lennon has him beat completely as a lyricist; it's not even close!
    I've always listened to the Beatles for their great lyrics.
    Tigger wrote: »
    Zooropa was interesting
    The zoo tv gig was just after my leaving cert it was an event for us all
    Zoorapa:
    Release date: July 5, 1993
    i.e. near 25 years

• Registered Users Posts: 19,214 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I remember being fairly pissed off when he cancelled the Croke Park gigs. Not because I was dying to see him or anything. But because the sales were so bad I picked up a pair of otherwise "expensive" face-value tickets for less than a quarter of the price on ebay.

I knew a young wan (No, it wasn't Melania.) who liked him and I was bringing her. That was my main reason for buying them. I wouldn't have considered it otherwise. Then the little bollox cancelled and the ebay scalper had an excuse to cancel my purchase and just got their own refund from ticketmaster or whatever

I hate scalpers. Jammy bastard got away with it that time.

I don't know if I was sent the physical tickets or not. Maybe one of these badwaggoners would throw me a few quid for them now :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Very meh about Prince dying as well as Bowie. They're not personal acquaintances of mine nor did I listen to their music ad infinitum. Know the hits etc.

So when I look at others who are oh so shocked I laugh and have a little contempt. Contempt for the fact that they're just using the death of an artist as a launchpad to say "look at me I'm a prince fan and listen to prince, did you know that about me? Oh here hold on go and look at my cover photo (does this legitimise these people or something), my fav song of hers is purple rain". These people couldn't name 5 of Prince' songs. If you are one of these people you are a void idiot who comes across as desperate and needy and more than pathetic in that the death of someone is how you try to garner social favor. Get a grip and get some class. You bellend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I've always listened to the Beatles for their great lyrics.

goo goo g'joob.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Mind you, what IS it about a celeb's death that upsets people? Since that's a horribly open question, take a musician. Is it that you feel you know them through their music? They were part of your childhood? (Bowie for me, I'm one of those that liked some of his songs, but for me he was the Goblin King dammit :D) That they had a unique sound and now it's gone?

It's a bit of an odd thing really. Most of us don't know any of these people and never met them in person. I don't think I'd be -devastated- at the death of any celeb, musician or otherwise, because as much as I might like their stuff, I didn't know them. And yet, I can kinda see the why as I was upset at Terry Pratchett's death since he's been well up there as a favorite author since I was about twelve. I suppose I'd also feel a bit bad for Bono too, not least since I think he gets way too much flack.

*cough* Sliiightly off-topic, just musings.

• Advertisement

Samaris wrote: »
    Mind you, what IS it about a celeb's death that upsets people? Since that's a horribly open question, take a musician. Is it that you feel you know them through their music? They were part of your childhood? (Bowie for me, I'm one of those that liked some of his songs, but for me he was the Goblin King dammit :D) That they had a unique sound and now it's gone?

It's a bit of an odd thing really. Most of us don't know any of these people and never met them in person. I don't think I'd be -devastated- at the death of any celeb, musician or otherwise, because as much as I might like their stuff, I didn't know them. And yet, I can kinda see the why as I was upset at Terry Pratchett's death since he's been well up there as a favorite author since I was about twelve. I suppose I'd also feel a bit bad for Bono too, not least since I think he gets way too much flack.

*cough* Sliiightly off-topic, just musings.

For me, it is the fact that there will be nothing new from them. This probably will not be that case for Prince as he was always writing and recording. There are artists alive that have released very little over a twenty + career span and I want more. There are artists that I wish had given up twenty years ago. I think we are in for plenty more from Prince, good and bad.

Advertisement