Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does ireland not have free healthcare?

Options
  • 22-04-2016 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭

When i say Free i mean you dont pay per visit, it comes out of taxes.

Ive been living in London for the past 6 years and I have to say having "free" healthcare is great. If there is something wrong with you, then you call the GP and arrange a visit. Might be a few days or more wait to get an appointment if its not an emergency. You get checked out. No charge at all. Need surgery then no charge at all.
    Broken bones, no charge.
    Medicine is cheap. A week of antibiotics cost me 7 Pound (€10)

The UK's budget to offer this free service is 96 Billion Pounds for a population that 14 times the size of ireland.

Irelands budget to offer this non free service is 10 Billion Pounds (13Billion Euro).

You pay €60 euro to see a doctor who does nothing but writes a prescription, and you pay a bunch more for the medicine. €100 euro if you need to go to the emergency room and around €275 if you break a bone.

So how can ireland not have a free service when they are paying significantly more per person to run the hospital system. If you were to scale down the UK budget then it should be 6.8 billion pounds (8.7 Billion Euro).

So irelands paying 33% more to run the non free health system than the UK spends to run a free system. Granted that their are economies of scale to take into consideration but FFS!

And then to top it all off i worked out how much more i would pay in tax in ireland and if i take my salary here and convert it to Euro then i would pay 8% more tax in Ireland.

And the Irish government wonders why people dont want to move "home"!!!

** And when i say TAX i mean all mandatory deductions from my pay packet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,169 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You pay for the NHS in the UK.
    To say its free is nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

I'd happily pay a little more tax to have unlimited free healthcare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

NIMAN wrote: »
    OP also states "And then to top it all off i worked out how much more i would pay in tax in ireland and if i take my salary here and convert it to Euro then i would pay 8% more tax in Ireland. "

We also pay a health levy through USC. Remember?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

Political choices largely.
    Ireland never had the structural reforms the UK did after WWII.

Our healthcare structure still looks like theirs pre NHS.

Our per capita spend on health is higher than the UK. That's fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Allinall

Having to pay keeps the hypochondriacs at large, which can only be a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Aongus Von Heisenberg

The primary purpose of the health system is to benefit those working in it and those who own the private parts of it.
    Healthcare provision is very much a secondary priority, value for money for the taxpayer is hardly on the list of priorities at all.

Government "reforms" for a long time have been more about privatising more of it by pushing people into health insurance than about improving healthcare provision.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

NIMAN wrote: »

Read the very first line of my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Allinall wrote: »
    Having to pay keeps the hypochondriacs at large, which can only be a good thing.

Not when a huge chunk of the population are on medical cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lurkio

When i say Free i mean (...............) dont want to move "home"!!!

Failure to take on unions, the way the merger of health boards was handled, lack of imagination, sheer feckin stupidity, political football matches...........as long as it more or less keeps ticking over I can't imagine things changing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

If you want to see how strung up it is with vested interests, just look at the disgraceful mess that went on about picking a site for the national children's hospital.

35.5 million of funds literally flushed down the toilet due to inexplicable bickering yet there has been nobody held to account for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    Add your reply here.
    You'll never get that here while the pharmaceutical industry manufactures most of the world's medicine here, that's why we pay so much for it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

You'll never get that here while the pharmaceutical industry manufactures most of the world's medicine here, that's why we pay so much for it too.
    Add your reply here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We can't have a low direct taxation system and better services.
    The problem is we want both and no one has the cop on to say it can't be done.

Compatinging ourselvescto Scandinavian countries is ridiculous. They pay more tax and have the money to spend on the services.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭thebeerbaron

Here's why, there are over 100,000 staff in the HSE, about 10,000 are medically trained to treat patients.
    So have enough staff but we dont have enough of the RIGHT staff

Former head of the HSE (before tony o'brien) said that when it was created they had too many HR staff but that he cant get rid of them.
    Unions would strike

Basically most of the money is not spent on services but on staff pay and pensions.
    This is a hangover of the FF expansion during the 00s. Most of the money was not spent on services but on pay and pensions so the unions would vote for them

Compatinging ourselvescto Scandinavian countries is ridiculous. They pay more tax and have the money to spend on the services.

Whose comparing ireland to Scandinavian countries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

It wouldn't be a little more tax.

anyone who says we need to raise more tax for our health system is wrong
    http://www.finfacts.ie/Irish_finance_news/articleDetail.php?Ireland-second-highest-OECD-health-spending-poorest-outcomes-506

we need to reform the current system with changes in staff and procedures
    the money is there, its how its spent that is the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Cost, but we kind of are used to paying for it.

Take the Mother and Child Scheme in 1950, the Catholic Church opposed free maternity care for women, FG suported them.

FF brought it in in everything but name a few years later.

We've a culture of paying health insurance here, Britain doesn't when they could easily do with it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

We have very high taxes on labour. Now if we could extend the tax base via taxes on wealth (property or land), increase corporation taxes without the corporations fleeing and get people to pay for water then maybe we could fund a free health service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

People in Ireland want to have everything and they want to pay for nothing. Services are bad because no one wants to pay the cost of financing them. That's the way it's always been, and it looks like it's the way it will be for a long time to come

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

People in Ireland want to have everything and they want to pay for nothing. Services are bad because no one wants to pay the cost of financing them. That's the way it's always been, and it looks like it's the way it will be for a long time to come

But if you look at the math in the OP we are paying more for healthcare per head than the UK is. Obviously we're doing something fundamentally wrong.

we already pay enough, there is no need to increase any taxes, see my above post

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tommyhayes1989

Medicine is so expensive because we do not have anyone to lobby the Pharma companies to use Generic drugs. Can't quite remember the name of the set up but that's about right.
    As for healthcare, the HSE and the "healthcare system" in this country is quite literally the most ineffective, inefficient and useless organisation. Year after year we pump our own money into it, budget add ons after add ons, and it always runs over budget. There is a serious mismanagement of resources, both physical and labour. Which makes me feel somewhat sympathetic for the nurses and co.

Again. One of the highest taxes on labour in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Amfyoyo

Four other factors are
    The alleged 'government' in it's frantic efforts to be seen to produce 'jobs' agrees with pharmaceutical Companies that a Company will employ 100 new 'employees' a year ,for 4 years,paying them €40,000 a year salary...the 'deal' is "We'll employ Ur people provided Ur 'Health Service' exclusively use our Branded medications, not Generics"...the actual cost of each 'job' is actually €300,000 +

Unlike most civilized Countries who have a prescription for life once a condition is diagnosed, in Ireland, U've to go back to Ur GP every 3 months, who hits the 'print ' button on their PC for Ur repeat prescription...even at €30 for repeats, do the sums...10,000 GP's with 100 patients on repeats per month .....
    10,000 x 100 patients x 12 months x €30 .... €360,000,000...and that's just for repeats

The Ratio of Admin to Medical staff is 2.7:1 For every ONE Medical Person who can 'make U better', ie Doctor/ Consultant / Nurse,there are 2.7 in admin...secretaries,porters and of course, management,'management consultant' and other well paid hangers on..who seem to be incapable of doing their job unless told exactly WHAT to do by KPMG/PWGC in a 'report',costing €millions

A Minister for health who underfunds the Hospitals yet gives them 'unrealistic' targets to achieve....when they fail to hit these 'targets' ,they are fined, meaning they have to pay money from their reduced Budget to pay the fine, effectively reducing next years budget , and ensuring that target wont be ;hit' either....and this from a man who was caught stealing €2,000 from his expenses last October by the Sunday Times and forced to return the money.....

Tubbs

Im still able to go to the doctor without it costing me anything extra than what i pay from my salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

When i say Free i mean you dont pay per visit, it comes out of taxes.

Ive been living in London for the past 6 years and I have to say having "free" healthcare is great. If there is something wrong with you, then you call the GP and arrange a visit. Might be a few days or more wait to get an appointment if its not an emergency. You get checked out. No charge at all. Need surgery then no charge at all.
    Broken bones, no charge.
    Medicine is cheap. A week of antibiotics cost me 7 Pound (€10)

The UK's budget to offer this free service is 96 Billion Pounds for a population that 14 times the size of ireland.

Irelands budget to offer this non free service is 10 Billion Pounds (13Billion Euro).

You pay €60 euro to see a doctor who does nothing but writes a prescription, and you pay a bunch more for the medicine. €100 euro if you need to go to the emergency room and around €275 if you break a bone.

So how can ireland not have a free service when they are paying significantly more per person to run the hospital system. If you were to scale down the UK budget then it should be 6.8 billion pounds (8.7 Billion Euro).

So irelands paying 33% more to run the non free health system than the UK spends to run a free system. Granted that their are economies of scale to take into consideration but FFS!

And then to top it all off i worked out how much more i would pay in tax in ireland and if i take my salary here and convert it to Euro then i would pay 8% more tax in Ireland.

And the Irish government wonders why people dont want to move "home"!!!

** And when i say TAX i mean all mandatory deductions from my pay packet.

Hang on, I had to stop you here. All a doctor does is write a prescription?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Patww79 wrote: »

The waiting lists are terrible here too. Not to mention trollies in corridors etc - how is that better service than the NHS provides?

I spent 12 months in England recently and as a diabetic I was entitled to free feet examinations every 8 weeks (it costs at least €60 here so I get them looked at every six months now), free prescription drugs, free GP visits, etc, etc.

My father, who lives in England, underwent major surgery (triple heart by-pass) and the service he received prior to, during and after the operation was unbelievably good.

The NHS has many detractors in the UK, but when I explained how our medical services work over here, most of them were amazed and admitted that they do tend to take the NHS for granted and don't recognise how great it is compared to systems almost everywhere else on the planet.

Advertisement